Friday 17th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday 17th March 2017

Post by pk1 »

Don't shoot the dog ! I'm with Hilary Barry

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... nd-airport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Sorry Roger, don't see that as playing a straight bat....and anyway isn't appointing a sitting Tory partisan? An incompetent one too at that

He could have been less effusive
Of course it's partisan. But all Sadiq has to do is wait until the ES attacks his record and point to Osborne as editor and say "Well, what did you expect with a Tory MP in charge?". I doubt ES staff will be happy with him remaining as an MP.

In any case, as mayor SK has to be seen as acting on behalf of all Londoners not just those who elected him.
Why does he have to send congratulations at all?

It is this type of behaviour towards the Tories that helps explain why people think Labour is going soft.....would Johnson have offered his congratulations?

No need for him to say anything...

Don't you see that some of us want to see Labour politicians attacking Tories in the same way they do...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

howsillyofme1 wrote: Don't you see that some of us want to see Labour politicians attacking Tories in the same way they do...
Of course but he can leave that to MPs and had several have a go at him already.

As I said, I reckon that SK will be quietly pleased with this appointment as it neutralises all ES attacks on his record while Osborne is still MP.

The ES has always attacked Labour Mayors and don't forget that Boris appointed not only the ex-editor but also Gilligan to his team. But they were journalists - this is different.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:George Osborne to replace Sands as editor of Evening Standard in May.
When asked why he wanted the job, did he say 'because I think I’d be rather good at it'?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I see where you are coming from Roger but this isn't a Tory supporting journalist - this is sitting Tory MP who is editing a key newspaper!

As a member I do not want to see Labour politicians 'congratulating' Tory MPs for this type of thing

Issue something neutral at the most

Can you understand why those of us on the left see this as yet another example where certain Labour politicians treat their opponents better than their own leadership and membership
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I'm not too fussed about SK's messaging in this particular instance - he is clearly in his "non-political" rather than partisan mayoral role here.

There is a case to be made that he has been a bit too cosy with big business/right wing types more generally, though. Still, his approval ratings remain good?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/dis ... 35221.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s funny that there are so many successful appeals against disability assessments – it’s as if there is something wrong with the system
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1585133 ... cuts-cause" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
Endless winter for the NHS as Tory cuts cause chaos for patients - Jonathan Ashworth

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... march-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39305685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eta militant group 'to disarm fully by 8 April
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Osborne, an editor of substance? What substance, crystal meth?
Marina Hyde
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Sorry to bang on about this but Khan is quite happy to go to a national paper and criticise his party leader....specifically saying that he should not stay neutral

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sadiq-khan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no problem with this but then to accept him sending congratulations to the recipient of the most blatant example of the incestuous link between the national media and the Tory Party - to a paper that has been vociferously supporting the Tories over the years, including the vile Goldsmith campaign is a bit much to take

My respect for Khan has gone down a notch today......

He could have done or said many other things in reaction to this but the manner of his 'congratulations' is just grist to the mill of those who say there is no difference between the two main parties

Labour is struggling still to appeal to the core vote and the most senior elected Labour politician in the country behaving like this does not help things

I know some will be happy as Osborne is an avowed 'Remainer' but I for one am not a happy bunny today
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote: Don't you see that some of us want to see Labour politicians attacking Tories in the same way they do...
Of course but he can leave that to MPs and had several have a go at him already.

As I said, I reckon that SK will be quietly pleased with this appointment as it neutralises all ES attacks on his record while Osborne is still MP.

The ES has always attacked Labour Mayors and don't forget that Boris appointed not only the ex-editor but also Gilligan to his team. But they were journalists - this is different.
Indeed. And he knows a soft Brexit thorn in Theresa May's side when he sees one.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/news/mar ... 6/_nocache

Shelter Scotland,which Tubby referenced yesterday.
Thank you.

Obviously, it's mainly the UK government that's responsible. But the SNP have made spending choices that favour the middle class instead of the poor. And of course, they could put taxes up. I have no idea how so many people seem to square this "social democratic Scotland" with the SNP basically doing George Osborne tax policies.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Indeed. And he knows a soft Brexit thorn in Theresa May's side when he sees one.
I'm sure SK is happy with the thought of TM getting less support. The point is still valid though. SK chose to come out for OS and explicitly against JC. Whilst mayor. There seems to be, dare I say, some cake having and eating going on here ;)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

He didn't have to congratulate him though....that is the problem for me. Just don't comment at all or point out that it is not particularly realistic to be an MP , an editor of a newspaper and a shill for right wing US interests all at the same time

Osborne has been a disastrous Chancellor, he has messed up the UK economy with his austerity shambles and he is also a pretty loathsome individual

But all is forgiven because he is a 'Remainer'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You don't have to forgive people to think they can be useful to you.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:You don't have to forgive people to think they can be useful to you.

He could be useful, who knows....although he has not exactly been vocal in criticising May has he? Not exactly a Heseltine or Clarke.....I do not give him the benefit of the doubt like others may based on his past record

The point is though that there is no need to congratulate him either......just stop bloody tweeting things like this ffs.....the guy is an ex Tory Chancellor, who played a massive part in the loss of the referendum alongside his chum Cameron.

Naïve and unproductive....

What next, congratulating Cameron on his next non-job posing about pointing at things?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Does Corbyn even want to rally support for City suit jobs? These are very important to London.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

If Cameron's in a position to help London, then congratulate him. What's the problem?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Whatever our differences about what SK should have said, hopefully we can agree this affair has yet again shown what a pathetic slug Amol Rajan is?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Flipchartrick having fun.
https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.c ... bongoland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disclaimer: This preposterous story, with its tacky colonial stereotypes, is purely a work of fiction. Any resemblance to real places or to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

StephenDolan wrote:
I'm sure SK is happy with the thought of TM getting less support. The point is still valid though. SK chose to come out for OS and explicitly against JC. Whilst mayor. There seems to be, dare I say, some cake having and eating going on here ;)
The article was written in his personal capacity as a Labour member. The tweet was from the Mayor of London's account which is passed from one Mayor to the next.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/ ... es-freedom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imagine a world where every part of your day is defined, regimented, controlled by someone other than you. Where even basic decisions, like what to eat, where to go, or who to spend time with are denied you. For people with disabilities living in many residential facilities, this is the reality. Basic choices, from decisions about where to live to the opportunity to be intimate with your partner, are denied people with disabilities across the nation.

Many Americans are aware of these sorts of problems and the resulting loss of freedom faced by people with disabilities who are forced into nursing homes and other types of institutions. To address this, disability rights advocates have worked over the last 50 years to bring people out of institutional settings and into the community, fighting to expand Medicaid-funded home and community-based services, also known as HCBS.

In 2013, after decades of effort by activists and federal policymakers, the percentage of Medicaid funding spent on community-based services finally exceeded that spent on institutional care. Many states have succeeded in serving people with developmental disabilities entirely in the community, no longer relegating people with Down syndrome, intellectual disability, and other similar diagnoses to institutions. Others are working towards similar outcomes.

Unfortunately, the mindset of institutionalization still exists, even in community-based settings. A growing body of research indicates that, particularly in larger settings where people with disabilities are clustered together for provider convenience, residents are deprived control over basic choices. To address this, the Obama administration issued a groundbreaking rule in 2014, requiring every state to upgrade its home and community services to ensure that those receiving them had their basic rights respected by 2019.

The HCBS settings rule included requirements that people get a choice of where they live, including the opportunity to pick residences other than group homes and other “disability-specific settings.” It also instructed states to ensure people living in residential facilities were afforded the right to choose what to do during the day, who they invited into their homes, when they ate, and whom they shared a bedroom with. These are the kinds of basic rights that most Americans take for granted — but for people with disabilities, federal intervention was necessary to protect them.

"This week, President Trump’s Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price and Center for Medicare and Medicaid Administrator Seema Verma issued a letter to state governments indicating their intent to delay the rule’s implementation deadline, making the full realization of the rights of people with disabilities a dream deferred.

What’s worse, the letter indicated their intent to rollback federal oversight, deferring to state governments as to whether or not particular providers and settings were respecting the rights of people with disabilities trying to live their lives on their own terms. That’s a problem. Basic freedoms like choice, autonomy, and privacy in one’s own home shouldn’t be subject to the whims of state legislators.

This delay by Secretary Price and Administrator Verma threatens the fundamental rights of people with disabilities. It means that people’s freedom is determined based on what state they live in. In 2011, four states — Kentucky, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New Mexico — supported more than 90 percent of all people with developmental disabilities receiving community-based residential services in settings of three or fewer people. In the same year, five states — Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and South Carolina — supported fewer than 30 percent of their residents in such settings, relying predominantly on more congregate group home models that restrict the freedoms of their residents.

Tom Price and Seema Verma should realize that the right to live in the community – and make basic choices about one’s own body, time, and home – should be available to every American. This week’s letter sends a message that for people with disabilities those rights are conditional. Americans with disabilities have too much experience having our freedom subject to other people’s whims"
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Whatever our differences about what SK should have said, hopefully we can agree this affair has yet again shown what a pathetic slug Amol Rajan is?
yep
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:If Cameron's in a position to help London, then congratulate him. What's the problem?

There are a lot of problems........politically.......with congratulating such people

And if you really think Osborne has helped London people in the past and will do in the future....from a position as editor of a tawdry right wing rag which promoted xenophobia then do so

Just understand that from this Labour member Khan is being at best naïve

I repeat for the umpteenth time - why was there any need to congratulate him?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Does Corbyn even want to rally support for City suit jobs? These are very important to London.

Not at any cost to the country though as has already been demonstrated

I have no problem with people working in financial services although I do think a lot of them are parasites

A well-regulated and well-intentioned financial industry is a benefit

A poorly regulated and parasitic one isn't

Oh, and I agree with Carney that a few more indications of personal accountability in senior management for the acts of their employees due to poor governance i.e. prison or personal fines would help concentrate minds

There is not carte blanche for this sector to behave how they want because they are (self-)important
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/mercers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When politicians take money from megadonors, there are strings attached. But with the reclusive duo who propelled Trump into the White House, there’s a fuse.
American politics is just plain scary. It's a long article, but quite an eye-opener in terms of the insanity of big bucks campaigning and how billionaires try to buy influence..
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 6b0c1ccc07" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trump’s meeting with ‘catastrophic leader’ Angela Merkel was as awkward as you’d expect
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Merkel looked like she'd rather have had Rod Hull and Emu with her on the podium.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nobody's asking Corbyn to approve of deregulation of financial services. He's being asked to defend a major export industry,
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nobody's asking Corbyn to approve of deregulation of financial services. He's being asked to defend a major export industry,
Provide a link to what is causing you an issue and I can then comment........what has he said that is causing you to ask the question?

I only know that I do not trust Osborne as far as I can throw him to do the right thing - he was all for deregulation (even more so that was the case) before the crash and his links to hedge funds and other right wing think tanks does nothing to all¥ my fears

Who knows what he really intends regarding Brexit?

His claims during the referendum not coming to pass is one of the reasons it is difficult to persuade people that Brexit is going to have a meaningful impact...his over-egging of the acute threat has poisoned the argument looking at the chronic threat

Why are people so keen to defend and pander to this complete and utter waste of space?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Theresa May faces being publicly criticised by the EU if her letter triggering article 50 fails to refer to Britain’s obligation to settle its divorce bill and make an “orderly withdrawal” from the bloc.

A failure of the UK to announce its intention to act in good faith over the terms of its withdrawal, including a multibillion-pound financial settlement, is likely to receive a swift and condemnatory response, senior EU sources have suggested.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -50-notice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure she'll give a shit.
Or indeed notice.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

She always looks constipated to me,(her Heath impersonation an obvious letting one rip)maybe she should start.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Merkel and the Trump
But it was hard to escape the testy relationship between the bookish woman now seen as a crucial bulwark of the postwar liberal order and the brash businessman who rose to power on a populist tide.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... iretapping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Donaeld The Unready‏ @donaeldunready 4h4 hours ago

Sad haters saying my evening Standard actually a basket case! As you all can see TOTAL FAKE CHRONICLE. Osbjorn of Tatton worthy of this.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... pires-film" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Film to follow teenager who crossed the Mediterranean and competed at Rio
Billy Elliot director Stephen Daldry’s latest protagonist is Yusra Mardini, who fled conflict in Syria and became Olympic swimmer
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ny-lebedev" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Osborne's new job confirms disturbing Tory dominance of the media
From Johnson to Gove, Tories are revelling in their links to papers, and proprietors no longer try to hide their rightwing views
Don't recall that they ever tried to hide them.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -newspaper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Osborne facing calls to quit as MP over Evening Standard job

Osborne’s jobs and potential conflicts
£75,000 a year as MP for Tatton
£640,000 as an adviser to BlackRock
£800,000 for 15 speaking engagements in the last year
£120,212 allowance as Kissinger fellow at the McCain Institute for a year
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello fellow nestlings.
The weekend starts here.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]i-XPgccjiqw[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Way before my time,clarification.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

GRIM
Three in four suicides among teaching professionals are primary and nursery school teachers, statistics show, amid warnings it is 'one of the most highly stressed occupations in the country'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 35846.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The impact of government policies and the maintenance of a highly competitive structure of schools — inspections, league tables and all the rest — of course leads to a lot of pressure.

“Teachers taking days off for stress has become all too common. They’re all worried about maintaining a good reputation for their school and being able to meet the requirements of the national assessment procedures.

“To hear that the suicide rate is so high among primary teachers is enormously worrying and I do hope that the stats are placed on the table in front of the Secretary of State for Education.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39300432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When rogue punctuation proves costly
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39300432

When rogue punctuation proves costly
Brilliant. The dairy deserves all it gets.

(And a bonus in the shape of a kitten photo'. Thank you.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

It's been preying on my mind, and I can no longer let it pass -

Good morfternoon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Brexit is English nationalism made flesh, but the English underrate its destructive potential as a form of communal identity.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 35796.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"the English" - this makes me angry. like the Catalans or Basques are "the Spanish"
I was born in England but am British. Someone from a nation of nations, not from some poxy backwater full of small-minded people who want everyone else to be as miserable as they are.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:It's been preying on my mind, and I can no longer let it pass -

Good morfternoon.
Better late than never, I suppose ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rd-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on George Osborne's new role at London Evening Standard
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Has George Osborne come to some special arrangement over his hours at the Evening Standard (from the way he was speaking today he seemed to think that he'd be popping in for an hour or so of a morning and then on to the Commons)? If he really has to do the hours that I imagine are required as the editor of a newspaper like the Standard, I can't see the MP\editor thing working out. And, if he's no longer an MP, the powerbase\anti-Theresa May\leadership ambition thing rather falls apart.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.