Monday 20th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 20th March 2017

Post by citizenJA »

"Labour’s Liz McInnes asks if Acoba will take into account the European working hours directive when it considers Osborne’s case and ensure that he is not damaging his healthy by working too long."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... e8557edd72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, he's overworked
He needs himself some time away
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It now appears that Watson has been put back in his box.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Nigel Farage: Carswell 'stopping Ukip becoming radical anti-immigration party'
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tion-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's quite the character, Carswell. Headlines like the above could almost make you warm to him. I think it 50/50 whether he'll stand as a Tory or an Independent in a future election.

I find this very telling from Farage:
“This question of immigration is still the number one issue in the minds of voters in this country. Ukip must not be squeamish about it. People like Douglas Carswell wrote in the Times last year we should not make immigration synonymous with EU membership. I thought, ‘Crikey, I have spent 10 years trying to do that very thing’.”
Only 10 years, Nigel? Ah, that's right. Ukip was all about the "red tape" holding back Tory businessmen back in the early days. The anti-immigration bit only came later when Ukip realised it could win over working class voters who, on a diet of the Mail and Express, had come to believe Tony Blair had given all their jobs away to the Polish.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It now appears that Watson has been put back in his box.

Arf. The current shadow cabinet is representative of nothing other than itself. That is one reason why it is so weak.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Still, it looks increasingly likely that McCluskey is going to win a landslide re-election (one of the main things behind the present kerfuffle)

Swings and roundabouts, eh.

Well done everybody on Daily Politics reaching 150k posts, btw :)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It now appears that Watson has been put back in his box.
If his objective was to plant the idea Len McCluskey would give union money to Momentum if re-elected, then he pretty much achieved it. As for being put back in his box.......From the Labour statement:
The leadership represents the whole party and not any one strand within it. No one speaks for the leadership except the leadership themselves and their spokespeople.
.....And conversely, attacking Momentum or Len McCluskey is most certainly not synonymous with attacking the leadership, perchance? I don't think Watson will be entirely unhappy with his day's work.

As for Watson's general performance as deputy - let's face it, the guy's never been a team player. I'm not really sure what people expected. He was of some limited use in helping to pile pressure on Karen Bradley to refer Murdoch's new Sky bid to Ofcom and that's about it.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Momentum are no worse than Progress, yes. I would go as far as to say such a statement is obvious.

And however bad Corbyn has been as leader, Watson has been at least as bad in his role.

In fact Labour need a clean sweep - Corbyn, Watson and McNicol all have to go together. All have failed.

The thing with Progress though is that they're not likely to frighten the horses too much. Not true of Momentum/ Stop the War etc. "Labout takeover by Progress" scares the Tories to death. That doesn't mean I want them running the party, of course.

I think you're dead right about Watson-Corbyn as a pair failing. I think that, apart from personal failings, they're basically the wrong way round. A Deputy Leader can be closer to members, trying to to keep the leader "honest". The leader has to think more in terms of voters and be strongly supported by the PLP.

I don't know who the leader should be, but I think Clive Lewis could be really good in the Deputy Leader role.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think it's fair to acknowledge some improvement with Progress. It elected Alison McGovern, who usually impresses me.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This might be the worst article on grammar schools and why they're needed. But then it is by Tim Worstall so only to be expected.

THIS GRAMMAR SCHOOL DING DONG IS SO CONFUSING

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/this-gra ... -confusing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too many bits to paste - and excellent BTL reply by history teacher Michael Fordham - but this is my favourite.
The opposition is clearly nothing but ideologically driven but that's just the normal hypocrisy of politics.
:lol:

This is the Adam Smith Institute!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

McGovern is OK I agree - though I wonder about the degree to which she is just a "respectable" figurehead. Angell, by contrast, is a complete arse.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

He certainly is.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://senedd.assembly.wales/mgConsulta ... 912&cp=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation
Abolition of the Right to Buy and Associated Rights (Wales) Bill
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

David Rockefeller, billionaire, dies at age 101
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ssues-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

French presidential candidates debate key election issues

http://m.france24.com/en/live/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 20 Mar, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm going to get some rest now, goodnight.
I love you.
cJA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Momentum really can't see what's wrong with having a leader supported by 5% of Labour MPs. I despair.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its not an ideal situation, I agree. But we forget at our peril that much of the PLP also bitched and moaned endlessly behind Ed M's back.

It is far too unbalanced and right wing, and this is one thing (of course there are several others) that needs to change if Labour is ever to be restored to heath.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its not an ideal situation, I agree. But we forget at our peril that much of the PLP also bitched and moaned endlessly behind Ed M's back.

It is far too unbalanced and right wing, and this is one thing (of course there are several others) that needs to change if Labour is ever to be restored to heath.
I think Miliband got decent backing, overall. The fault was in trusting the flawed opinion polls about party support, and not taking seriously enough the dreadful personal polling and the Tory lead on the economy. A fair bit of whispering was about that, and in retrospect, a fair point.

All you need is, I think, 37 MPs to nominate a leader. If you can't make that and have to lower it, then you have to look for another candidate.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think the PLP ought to be prepared to nominate Clive Lewis for Deputy. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-response" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charge electric cars smartly to take pressure off national grid-Minister
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Got Crimewatch on in the background.

Shouldn't laugh, but a couple of people shown pretending to be Gloria Hunniford and her daughter. "Gloria" doesn't look much like Gloria.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Don't have nightmares"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ard-editor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ethics committee may ask Osborne to decline Evening Standard role
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I won't after that Gloria item, that's for sure.

I'm assuming Gloria got her £120k back from the bank.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 38131.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Former BNP leader Nick Griffin says he hopes to emigrate within 'the next six months'
'I hope the Hungarian people will welcome people who are genuine refugees from western Europe but keep out the liberals who have brought western Europe to this state in the first place'
The world under Homo sapiens: you couldn't make it up.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 39361.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit: Bank bosses push for lower taxes and lighter regulation to cushion EU divorce
thewillofthepeople
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Brexit ministers demand Phillip Hammond provide them with 'hundreds more' members of staff amid cuts
Trade Department and the Foreign Office ordered to cut their spending by 6 per cent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 38711.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the irony just keeps on coming
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Did once sign an autograph as Paul Walsh the ex footballer when in Liverpool for someone who was convinced I was.I didn't want to disappoint them.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its not an ideal situation, I agree. But we forget at our peril that much of the PLP also bitched and moaned endlessly behind Ed M's back.

They really did not. That is bullshit.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SNP MP who looked less than stellar trying to explain SNP currency policy accuses the Daily Record of sexism, for saying she "believed her own hype".

Load of halfwits turn up to back her up.

Scotland's going to be the new Northern Ireland. Any old bollocks provided you''re sound on the "border" issue.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-03-20/chil ... ort-finds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Children's social care facing 'grave crisis', report finds

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Precept for Adult next biggie in responsibility terms children)
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on triggering article 50 –
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/a ... s-10063123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Accident and Emergency delays at NHS hospitals are so bad patients are giving up before they see a doctor
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apparently Government looking into ways to identify carers,a mere five years after vociferously opposing Keeley's Bill to same end.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -far-right" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Far-right millionaire: I'll use social media network to back Scottish Independence.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

New computer tomorrow,who knows,even more relentless links (though hopefully not twenty posts the same)