Friday 24th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 24th March 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Re: Friday 24th March 2017

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile, in other shock news, Giles Fraser still head-bangingly Pollyannaish re. Lexit.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Now I know what my team should have done to generate more cash - open a Free School!

Bolton Wanderers Free School paid £600k in rent and bills to football club

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/bolton-wandere ... ball-club/
During its first two years the school paid Bolton Wanderers £504,000 to share its Macron stadium under a “non-cancellable operating lease”.

In the academic year 2014-15 the rent was £174,000, rising to £330,000 in 2014-15. The school roll went up five in that time.

The school was also charged light, heat and water bills of more than £54,000 in 2015-16 and £37,000 in 2014-15 – giving a total bill of £595,000 for its first two years.

Schools Week asked BWFS the cost of this year’s rent and utilities, due to be paid in August, but Toni Carr, the school’s principal, said that due to “commercial sensitivity we are unable to provide information with regards to the contractual lease between BWFC and the trust”. Bolton Wanderers also declined to comment.
and
A governor at Bolton Wanderers Free School (BWFS) was paid £3,287 in expenses for attending what appears to be a maximum of four meetings during the 2014-15 academic year, the school’s accounts show.

Education leaders are calling for the Education Funding Agency (EFA) to investigate.

The 2015 BWFS accounts state: “During the period ended August 31, 2015, travel, subsistence and accommodation costs totalling £3,287 was reimbursed to one governor.”

The accounts show the governing body met for a maximum of four times throughout 2014-15, which works out at about £820 a meeting for the unnamed governor.
:wall:

Where on earth was he travelling from?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Meanwhile, in Business news:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britai ... KKBN16V0RJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Andrew MacAskill and Anjuli Davies | LONDON
Britain's Labour party has won five seats at elections in the City of London, the heart of the country's financial district, as it seeks to challenge the borough's centuries-old policy of independence from party politics.
I think the FT are running a story on this as well. Doesn't seem to have made any of the politics pages yet. Not political enough?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ation-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Broadband users in line for millions in Ofcom compensation plan
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... -over.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The Brexiteers know the war is far from over

Mainlymacro
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Labour had never won a seat on the City of London authority before a by-election a few years ago, despite several previous attempts.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tim Fenton follows City o politics a bit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good to see a post here tbh, bit quiet this morning!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Chap on another board writes:
I was at a Q&A with Thornberry in January and I was interested to know if she thought May was playing with fire using NATO troop deployments to woo Eastern members in A50 negotiations. She replied that Labour had a policy of internationalism and playing our part with our allies blah blah but showed no understanding of the question. Frightening for someone in the shadow FS portfolio
Not a fan.

Luckily, somebody seems to have had a word with May, and this tactic looks like it's been dropped. So it didn't matter.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Some rather embarrassing goings on in Blackburn - Labour comfortably won the byelection there yesterday, only for their winner to be almost instantly declared ineligible and the result voided. This has helped show how convoluted and confusing the rules on eligibility to stand for local elections (in particular, being ineligible through working for something "connected" to the local authority in question) can be.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... three-more" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeremy Corbyn has been hit by a fresh blow after it emerged three of his top aides are joining the exodus from his office.
Not encouraging. Briefing by both sides too. This sort of thing that used to be headline news under Blair-Brown, but barely news now.

Speechwriting to be shared by Milne and Fisher until a replacement found. Fisher is supposed to be doing policy, of which there hasn't been very much.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://johnbromford.wordpress.com/2017 ... alf-empty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THE FUTURE OF SUPPORTED HOUSING. HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... three-more
Jeremy Corbyn has been hit by a fresh blow after it emerged three of his top aides are joining the exodus from his office.
Not encouraging. Briefing by both sides too. This sort of thing that used to be headline news under Blair-Brown, but barely news now.

Speechwriting to be shared by Milne and Fisher until a replacement found. Fisher is supposed to be doing policy, of which there hasn't been very much.
That article is written in such a sneery way, though - the quote marks around "health reasons" for example.

I can imagine that working for JC is a pretty stressful job to do, and that is partly down to him perhaps but much more caused by other things.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2017/0323 ... it-border/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Davis is shocked to find that Ireland doesn't fancy having UK immigration officers at its ports.

Soft Brexit, here we come.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

That article is written in such a sneery way, though - the quote marks around "health reasons" for example.

I can imagine that working for JC is a pretty stressful job to do, and that is partly down to him perhaps but much more caused by other things.
It's unprofessional too. You don't question people's health reasons unless you know the exact circumstances.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

It's unprofessional too. You don't question people's health reasons unless you know the exact circumstances.
With all the added revenue from the doubling of membership, it is hardly a surprise that Corbyn has more staff than Miliband did. They don't seem noticeably competent of course.

Anyway, as AK kept telling us, Milne will quit any day now, and the refuseniks will all come back,so it hardly matters if in the short term he appears to be the only person Corbyn listens to. I am sure he is very popular with a wide circle.

Not that even that even that matters much, as Corbyn is bound to quit soon. Eh?
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Fri 24 Mar, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Afternoon all.

It's amazing how many are wise after the event. From the G.

"Alice Williams, landlady of the Rose and Crown pub in the village of Beckley, near Rye, where Masood would sometimes drink, described him as “intelligent but odd”.

“He was very intelligent but always slightly sinister,” Williams said. “He would do the Telegraph crossword and, to be fair, would make intelligent conversation but he was a bit racist.”

Williams said she wasn’t surprised about the attack. “He always had a chip on his shoulder. I’m surprised he became quite that extreme. There was obviously something going on in his head at the time but he was an intelligent man. He would come in when the other pub was closed. He wasn’t a heavy drinker. He was just sinister and quirky.”

Riiiiiiiiight.

A chip on his shoulder. A bit racist. Reads the Telegraph. Hmm.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
Distracted, ten thousand little things going on, sorry for not checking in sooner
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I haven't looked at the news elsewhere yet
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Cadbury says chocolate could get smaller after Brexit

Glenn Caton, who is in charge of Cadbury in Britain, told the Guardian the company would change and adapt to the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU and that the country would still be the “home of chocolate manufacturing”. Caton said...the company may eventually have to pass on higher costs to customers by raising prices or shrinkflation - selling smaller products for the same price.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ter-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shrink them into nothing, Caton. I've tasted what you continue to call a, 'Cadbury cream egg' after the recipe change. The degraded chocolate quality of the Pretender cream egg lost me forever.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

[edit]
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Fri 24 Mar, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm not a fan of Kuenssberg and know some of her past tweets have been biased, not professional but could it be this is just an informational tweet? Would it be appropriate for the opposition party leader to visit people in the hospital?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, if it wasnt LK I doubt any impropriety would be percieved there - its just a statement of what is happening.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

David Goodhart's got a book out.
Philip Coggan‏Verified account @econbuttonwood 4h4 hours ago
Breaking news: Etonian gets more conservative as he ages
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Horrible man, and deeply mendacious with it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yeah, don't like him at all. Though I like him more than Ed West.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Philip Coggan is good, if you don't know him. Heavyweight expert on the City too.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

StephenDolan wrote:Afternoon all.

It's amazing how many are wise after the event. From the G.

"Alice Williams, landlady of the Rose and Crown pub in the village of Beckley, near Rye, where Masood would sometimes drink, described him as “intelligent but odd”.

“He was very intelligent but always slightly sinister,” Williams said. “He would do the Telegraph crossword and, to be fair, would make intelligent conversation but he was a bit racist.”

Williams said she wasn’t surprised about the attack. “He always had a chip on his shoulder. I’m surprised he became quite that extreme. There was obviously something going on in his head at the time but he was an intelligent man. He would come in when the other pub was closed. He wasn’t a heavy drinker. He was just sinister and quirky.”

Riiiiiiiiight.

A chip on his shoulder. A bit racist. Reads the Telegraph. Hmm.

Good afternoon

Doesn't seem a very devout Muslim does he?

Most semi-devout Muslims I know wouldn't be seen anywhere near a pub never mind poppin in to have a swift half!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, if it wasnt LK I doubt any impropriety would be percieved there - its just a statement of what is happening.

The problem is I immediately read it as being snide.......and I would assume it is until demonstrated otherwise
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

An everyday story of private sector business practices...oh...

ATT chief executive broke rules over chair sacking, EFA investigation finds

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/att-chief-exec ... ion-finds/
An academy boss who claimed for a luxury car lease on expenses has now been criticised by the government for breaching funding rules after removing his trust’s chair.

The Education Funding Agency (EFA) says Ian Cleland, the chief executive and accounting officer at the Academies Transformation Trust (ATT), failed to manage the “inherent conflict of interest” when he removed Stephen Tilsley from his role last year.

Cleland had previously been placed on temporary leave by Tilsley over concerns the trust was in financial difficulty. But Cleland used his powers as a founding member of ATT to remove the chair from his position, and was later reinstated to both his roles.
:roll:

I should add that most businesses that I know of are very well run - and have to be but we seem to be importing the very worst business practices into state funded education.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That "founding member" thing is interesting. Does that mean he (or his pals) paid the £2m?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

howsillyofme1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, if it wasnt LK I doubt any impropriety would be percieved there - its just a statement of what is happening.

The problem is I immediately read it as being snide.......and I would assume it is until demonstrated otherwise
Yes, but that's because it *is* Laura Kuennservativeberg ;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think you're right on reflection, Anatoly.

Apol to her.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:That "founding member" thing is interesting. Does that mean he (or his pals) paid the £2m?
Only got going in 2012 and the rule about putting cash in had long gone by then.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

US healthcare vote due to take place at 7.30pm (our time) tonight.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Live coverage of American Health Care Bill debate for those interested

https://www.c-span.org/video/?425937-1/ ... -pass&live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Live coverage of American Health Care Bill debate for those interested

https://www.c-span.org/video/?425937-1/ ... -pass&live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh. It's you . . .

(Snap!)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tGXLEXkAMRACD.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan looks like he's going to fall on his arse.
Last edited by refitman on Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: Link fixed
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@ PF CNN are covering it if you got that,
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

They can pull the vote if it looks like they'll lose it, apparently.

But I'm worried if they squeak it through then it'll look like Trump is a genius dealmaker.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:@ PF CNN are covering it if you got that,
No, I haven't - but thanks for the thought.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Actually, Trump would still have the problem with the Senate. Majority there is far too small.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Recess Republicans having a meeting,apparently
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Republican just now said the meeting was about whether there'd be a vote or not.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Looks very much like it's being pulled.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CNN:Source Health Care Bill pulled.no vote
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ryan news conference 7pm
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 24 Mar, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Looks very much like it's being pulled.
If that's the case, then I await the "Tweets" with great interest.