Thursday 30th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 30th March 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Found this a bit shocking
https://www.neweurope.eu/article/millio ... fer-abuse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to The Local, the most staggering figure was that more than 40% of women in Italy had suffered psychological abuse, a category which included physical or economic control as well as threats and verbal abuse.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:I liked him better as PM than as Chancellor, I know some here would say the opposite.
He was a letdown as PM overall (though as already stated he was up to the biggest test of his tenure)

Maybe if he had taken over in 2004 (as nearly happened, Blair seriously thought about quitting then) things might have gone better? In particular, he would have been well placed to win a 2005 GE whilst his "honeymoon" might still be going (and maybe by a bigger margin than actually transpired)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm not so shocked
Goodnight, all
love,
cJA
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

G***s F****r now siding with Peter Hitchens about abandoning the metric system.

I wish I was making this shit up.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

NonOxCol wrote:G***s F****r now siding with Peter Hitchens about abandoning the metric system.

I wish I was making this shit up.
If we're going back to pre-1971 we must be due for a manufactured boom and a 3 day week soon then.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It's so grim, I have problems taking it seriously.
Suspended belief has kicked in as hitherto unexplored coping strategy.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

As a small child I have to confess to enjoying the 3-day week.
Obviously I didn't understand the wider repercussions than me having lots of days off school.
And when we spent said days at my mate's house we were provided with bacon butties.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A couple of years ago, I still thought being a Brit was OK.
Now I don't. Would go for citizen of Europe in a fraction of a second.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

tinyclanger2 wrote:As a small child I have to confess to enjoying the 3-day week.
Obviously I didn't understand the wider repercussions than me having lots of days off school.
And when we spent said days at my mate's house we were provided with bacon butties.
I thought about this before - I would have been about 13 or 14...and don't remember it at all. Did we have days off school ? No idea.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03mcklz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Three Day Week
Archive on 4

Forty years ago Britain was plunged into darkness as Prime Minister Edward Heath introduced a 3 day working week. Cities fell dark. Factories and schools closed. People, often wrapped in blankets, worked by candle and torchlight. At home, people boiled water to wash and children were sent to school with luminous yellow bands so they could be seen in the gloom. And Britain's three TV channels came to an abrupt end at ten thirty!

For decades, British politics was shaped, perhaps defined, by the events of the early 1970s, with the 3 day week as the centrepoint. Now it seems almost unimaginable that this could have happened in one of the world's richest countries so how did it ever get to this point? Could Heath have done anything different? Michael White of The Guardian, then a young reporter, takes us back to those extraordinary days and charts the long-term political significance of the crisis.
was deamed too cold for us kids (though teachers still had to go in)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

or even deemed.
(good job PF's not around)