Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd April 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39456770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Better-off 'cashing in' on Help to Buy scheme, research finds

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd April 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... tres-short" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brighton Half Marathon organisers admit course is 146 metres short

Did innocently lop four miles of a marathon once some years ago.Usually run/jog/stagger/crawl a fair bit more than required distance,due to various unscheduled pit stops.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most concerning of all, it is not clear that any of this is necessary. The white paper lists several proposed “technical amendments”, including (for example) a requirement for the UK to make regular reports about the state of its inland waterways. But these rules are not generally contained in acts of parliament. They are generally found in secondary legislation. This is a lower class of law, generally dealing with technical matters, that can be altered without a vote in parliament. The white paper does not contain a single example of a “technical amendment” that would require a Henry VIII power.

It seems such powers are either entirely unnecessary or, at minimum, certainly not required on the broad scale envisaged in the paper. The great repeal bill will thus give the government broader powers, exercised with less accountability, than any peacetime administration in living memory. Yet the government does not seem prepared to fully disclose what they will be used for or why they are needed at all.
Labour will be opposing this attempt to bypass parliament, I hope?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Any good April Fools this morning? Or has reality overtaken satire here as with much else??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

http://blog.stihl.co.uk/stihl-unveil-ne ... -for-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

All the political ones seem to involve jobs for George.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Any good April Fools this morning? Or has reality overtaken satire here as with much else??
This one's rather good - it's credible in the land of the SNP.
The flagship news programme on the BBC’s new dedicated Scottish television channel will include at least ten minutes of reports in Gaelic, with staff to be enrolled in compulsory lessons in the language.
The real giveaway is:
Jackie Bird, widely tipped to the anchor the new programme, has insisted she be referred to as Jackie Eun.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/b ... -1-4409232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This benefit cut will make youngsters homeless. It’s another Tory failure
John Healey

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... nto-effect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Stat xplore;As of December,3,686 LCW on UC-doesn't further distinguish.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... tres-short

Brighton Half Marathon organisers admit course is 146 metres short

Did innocently lop four miles of a marathon once some years ago.Usually run/jog/stagger/crawl a fair bit more than required distance,due to various unscheduled pit stops.
Of course It's long been a contentious issue within the NPBAA whether different marathons should take into account the variations in local topology. It is why(for instance) the Sheffield half marathon is seen as challenging, and indeed, why the original circular route had to be abandoned, when it was discovered that, although having been designed to give a flat route in aggregate, it did in fact result in a 142 meter climb overall.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Any good April Fools this morning? Or has reality overtaken satire here as with much else??
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 ... fake-news/

The Telegraph have a small roundup, my favourite is 'Britain to pull out of the Eurovision song contest'.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I didn't know that.There was a fuck up over water a couple of years ago and attempts to stop people running The organisers subsequently changed .The long time start/finish was Don Valley stadium which is no more. I go way back,pre stadium and old Marathon route from Hillsborough Park.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinybgoat wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 ... fake-news/

The Telegraph have a small roundup, my favourite is 'Britain to pull out of the Eurovision song contest'.
Something actually long desired by a subset of Brexiteers - satire meets reality again :smack:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... poa-safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prison staff dismiss 'demoralising' pay rise
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw
Most concerning of all, it is not clear that any of this is necessary. The white paper lists several proposed “technical amendments”, including (for example) a requirement for the UK to make regular reports about the state of its inland waterways. But these rules are not generally contained in acts of parliament. They are generally found in secondary legislation. This is a lower class of law, generally dealing with technical matters, that can be altered without a vote in parliament. The white paper does not contain a single example of a “technical amendment” that would require a Henry VIII power.

It seems such powers are either entirely unnecessary or, at minimum, certainly not required on the broad scale envisaged in the paper. The great repeal bill will thus give the government broader powers, exercised with less accountability, than any peacetime administration in living memory. Yet the government does not seem prepared to fully disclose what they will be used for or why they are needed at all.
Good afternoon everyone.

Thanks for this Willow. I would hope so, but won't hold my breath (Labour, I mean).

Don't know where I heard/saw it, here or elsewhere, but apparently that truly odious individual Rees-Mogg (someone I know you're sadly well aware of) was on TV/radio the other day waxing lyrical about this very subject. Apparently after the 2 year Brexit deadline, all these EU/UK protections (not regulations, I refuse to use right wing terminology) will be thrown out. He was evidently much excited by this. He couldn't be more repellent if he tried. :sick: But are we really surprised they'll be a bonfire of protections after we've officially left?

This surely isn't what anyone voted for last June (apart from scum like Rees-Mogg). We talk of a political coup taking place in the US, but what about here?
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:I didn't know that.There was a fuck up over water a couple of years ago and attempts to stop people running The organisers subsequently changed .The long time start/finish was Don Valley stadium which is no more. I go way back,pre stadium and old Marathon route from Hillsborough Park.
Oops, was my attempt at an April Fool, npbaa, was meant to be nit picking bullshitters anonymous association, hadn't considered that it sound a like an athletic association, or that Sheffield marathon course had been changed (probably because, having built a stadium, it was a good idea to use it)

I have learnt a couple of things,
i) It's quite common for marathons routes to be found to be wrong length
ii) If you travel a circular route, you won't end up higher than you started (ignoring​ possibilities such as starting / stopping point being in a lift) - although this goes against my instinctive beliefs & Sheffield does have certain Escher qualities to it.
iii) The story behind the original marathon is more complicated & interesting than i thought.

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/t ... e-marathon
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:D

Sheffield Half next week as it happens.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw
(cJA edit)
As we get closer to Brexit day, those attempting to hold the government to account can increasingly be accused of “endangering Britain’s future”.
In other words, the government has laid the foundations for the perfect discourse with which to silence criticism.
I don't dig this at all.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

I don't dig it either cJA. This is exactly what'll happen. I'll tell you what else will happen too. If we end up with a poor/bad deal (highly likely) the EU will cop for all the blame. The Tories and their masters in the MSM will be working overtime to blame the EU and the "enemy within" (i.e. remain voters, critics, experts, anyone expressing even the mildest concerns in fact). :(
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I don't think they'll be able to get away with that. If, say, Goldman Sachs or Nissan take jobs away because of Brexit, they'll say so. They won't sugar coat it for David Davis' benefit.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I don't think they'll be able to get away with that. If, say, Goldman Sachs or Nissan take jobs away because of Brexit, they'll say so. They won't sugar coat it for David Davis' benefit.
Oh, I know Tubby. Just saying how I think they'll (Gov) attempt to deflect blame. After all, they'll never accept responsibility themselves.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ignore me- I thought Mrs Thatcher would get the blame for the early 90s recession.

It was Jim Callaghan, Jack Jones and Neil Kinnock's fault, apparently.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

daydreamer wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I don't think they'll be able to get away with that. If, say, Goldman Sachs or Nissan take jobs away because of Brexit, they'll say so. They won't sugar coat it for David Davis' benefit.
Oh, I know Tubby. Just saying how I think they'll (Gov) attempt to deflect blame. After all, they'll never accept responsibility themselves.
I suspect that ultimately Theresa May, humble
servant that she is, will have just been doing her best to get a good deal & carry out the people's will.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's some real despair from commentator's below the line on that thread.
'I've never felt so helpless'
I understand the feeling.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

If Britain needs a new party, we’ll only find out after Brexit
http://www.conservativehome.com/thetory ... rexit.html
No party rules forever, and it’s more likely than not that when this Conservative
administration does leave office it will bequeath it to a new-look opposition of one sort or another. But just as you couldn’t see the Attlee Government from the 20s, or the Blair one from the 80s, we probably can’t see that new movement from here.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ignore me- I thought Mrs Thatcher would get the blame for the early 90s recession.

Actually, that one got explained by many on "world factors" the the government could do nothing about apparently.

(an assessment helped by the willingness of people to "give Major a chance")
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39466502
A teenage asylum seeker is fighting for his life after a "brutal attack" by a gang in south London in what police are treating as a hate crime.
The 17-year-old was waiting at a bus stop with two friends in Croydon, when he was set upon by about eight youths.
They asked him where he was from before chasing him down the road and attacking him.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Abi Wilkinson currently being bullied by HIGHLY RESPECTED LOBBY JOURNALISTS on Twitter :toss: :roll:
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ignore me- I thought Mrs Thatcher would get the blame for the early 90s recession.

Actually, that one got explained by many on "world factors" the the government could do nothing about apparently.

Vaguely remember something about blah, blah, deindustrialization (or possibly deindustrialisation).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -2017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UNIVERSAL CREDIT - 80% TAX RATE IN 2017
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

"Finish the job".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/23862" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESA cut - where is the promised mitigation?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Although this is without doubt the most incompetent, shambolic and inept Labour leadership in my lifetime, even they are on record as saying they oppose giving the government Henry VIII powers.

The question will be can they find enough Tories who have similar concerns, and are they prepared to work with the Lib Dems to halt all parliamentry progress if the government doesn't listen.
Release the Guardvarks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Parallels with today.

The recession in the early 90s (as opposed to early 80s) was caused by ERM membership. This came to a head after the 92 election. Labour couldn't fully take advantage of the economic consequences of this before then because it shared the policy of the government.

See Brexit today. You can't vote for a referendum, then vote for art 50, and then complain about the consequences of Brexit. Indeed if you do (see Umunna, Starmer) you're a bullshit merchant.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

"Finish the job".
People voted for Major in 92 because they were just hanging on to their houses in the teeth of a huge recession and weren't prepared to risk a Labour government that was still associated with the far left (despite Kinnocks best efforts). That was the message I heard repeatedly on southern marginals doorsteps.

Ironically when the economy was fixed by Ken Clarke the people were happy to take a risk on Labour.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Although this is without doubt the most incompetent, shambolic and inept Labour leadership in my lifetime, even they are on record as saying they oppose giving the government Henry VIII powers.

The question will be can they find enough Tories who have similar concerns, and are they prepared to work with the Lib Dems to halt all parliamentry progress if the government doesn't listen.
Yes, opposing this really is a complete no-brainer. After the A50 process I am not holding my breath about many Tories joining in, but who knows?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:[
The recession in the early 90s (as opposed to early 80s) was caused by ERM membership
That's utter bollocks Hugo.

UK entered the ERM in October 1990.

The first quarter of negative growth was Q3 1990 and the 2nd in Q4 1990 so we were technically in recession when we entered the ERM.

It might have been exacerbated by membership but certainly wasn't caused by it. A combination of the savings and loan crisis in the US and the Lawson-inspired boom are the likely suspects.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ndon-march
Fewer than 300 members of the far-right groups Britain First and the English Defence League turned up for their “march against terrorism”, a turnout castigated by opponents as a lame attempt to whip up Islamophobia in the wake of the Westminster attack.
Vaguely heartening failure in these grim times.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

For PF:
vents.jpg
vents.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 28505 times
http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/suit-ja ... ranscript/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Fewer than 300 members of the far-right groups Britain First and the English Defence League turned up for their “march against terrorism”, a turnout castigated by opponents as a lame attempt to whip up Islamophobia in the wake of the Westminster attack.
Even now, they have rather less support than much media coverage would have you believe.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Donaeld The Unready‏ @donaeldunready 3h3 hours ago

Reversing Offas damaging + wrong peat ban to "protect" environment. Look at the weather. It's us that need protecting FROM environment! FACT
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Still making the rest of us look good
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 61406.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donald Trump storms out of executive order signing ceremony amid Russia questions - without signing any orders
Mike Pence left to collect abandoned documents later signed in private
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 16-to-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guidance
Pupil premium: allocations and conditions of grant 2016 to 2017
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Even now, they have rather less support than much media coverage would have you believe.
A similar 'demonstration' in Edinburgh last week could only muster around 40, with about 400 counter-demonstrators.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/video-whit ... -1-4403564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police estimate that up to 400 protesters were present on the streets of Edinburgh today to oppose the ‘Nazi White Pride’ march, compared with around 40 far right activists. Speakers at the anti-fascism demo included MPs. the SNP’s Tommy Sheppard and Labour’s Ian Murray.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Still making the rest of us look good
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 61406.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donald Trump storms out of executive order signing ceremony amid Russia questions - without signing any orders
Mike Pence left to collect abandoned documents later signed in private
He certainly doesn't do irony:
Women’s History Month is coming to an end. Donald Trump must be absolutely exhausted.“... the White House has been hosting events all throughout March,” press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters, launching into a list of activities that culminated on Wednesday in a visit by the president to a special Women’s Empowerment Panel. The administration regarded this gathering as so important that it featured every single female Cabinet member.
Yes! All four!
Actually, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao couldn’t come, so they substituted Seema Verma, the head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. “My Cabinet is full of really incredible women leaders,” the president said, looking at the quartet.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/ga ... -1-4409200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

tinyclanger2 wrote:For PF:

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/suit-ja ... ranscript/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disturbingly, from this I've just found that you can buy Donald Trump look alike clothes on then web, such as from Amazon:

"Donald Trump Men's Two-Piece Suit With Two-Button Side Vent Jacket and Pant"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B01M9 ... =aw_cr_i_2
It has 2, 1* reviews, one of which says
Believe me!
This suit is just way too bigly for me. It made my hands look tiny and orange. Also, I found that after just a few minutes wearing it that my literacy skills fell to such a degree that that I couldn't complete a sentence coherently.
Also some fetching Women's designer Trump Windbreakers:-

http://www.cowcow.com/shop/Womens-Windbreaker/trump
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I see our pal Questor has broadened his repertoire to railways.

Unfortunately, he crosses the path of a poster who knows what he's talking about.

https://profile.theguardian.com/user/id/17172382?page=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£500m for everyone to have a blue passport.

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Parallels with today.

The recession in the early 90s (as opposed to early 80s) was caused by ERM membership. This came to a head after the 92 election. Labour couldn't fully take advantage of the economic consequences of this before then because it shared the policy of the government.

See Brexit today. You can't vote for a referendum, then vote for art 50, and then complain about the consequences of Brexit. Indeed if you do (see Umunna, Starmer) you're a bullshit merchant.
The funny thing is that they really benefited from the crash out of the ERM even though they had the same policy of maintaining the very high exchange rate and would have had the same problem.

Even joining the ERM at that rate didn't cause the recession. As ROT says, that had already started. And they didn't really join the ERM for its own sake. They could have just stuck up interests as high as they did till they were happy inflation was under control. ERM membership was basically just a prop for the interest rates policy.