Tuesday 4th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 4th April 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 4th April 2017

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
Law and Policy‏ @Law_and_policy 3m3 minutes ago
More
Former Tory leader casually mentions war with Spain.
PM: no response.

"Easter" to be removed from an egg hunt.
PM: "absolutely ridiculous"
Quite.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.
Law and Policy‏ @Law_and_policy 3m3 minutes ago
More
Former Tory leader casually mentions war with Spain.
PM: no response.

"Easter" to be removed from an egg hunt.
PM: "absolutely ridiculous"
Quite.
The man behind the Daily Male says:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

When winning and being OUT matters more than sober economic assessment, when you completely ignore the nature of who's fighting most strongly for this nightmare outcome...

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

http://notthetreasuryview.blogspot.co.u ... s.html?m=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spreadsheets are people too: statistics and reality

J.Portes.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Land Ahoy! I think we might just have arrived here at last:

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

joe‏
@mutablejoe

Follow
More
Nobody remembers the real story of Easter egg hunts anymore when Jesus lost an egg and was all like "where's my egg" and they looked for it
:D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled students fear for their future as independence payments cut
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

"Is Trump now part of the establishment?"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39483715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Already there are signs that conservative true-believers - some of whom were never fully sold on Mr Trump to begin with - are questioning Mr Trump's anti-establishment bona fides.
Suppose it depends on what you classify as 'the establishment', but short of draining the swamp & redeveloping it as a golf course, what clues do they need?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

And... just when you thought this morning couldn't get any worse, here's Nige:

adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

UK life expectancy among pensioners drops for first time in decades - From The Independent, 3 days ago
There has been an 'unprecedented' rise in mortality rate, according to ONS data

Updated projections from the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries suggest life expectancy will fall by four months for a 65-year-old man and by six months for a woman of the same age. Figures show that men aged 65 are anticipated to live a further 22.2 years, down from 22.8 years in 2013 and women a further 24.1 years, down from 25.1 years four years ago.

The data were compiled in the institute's Continuous Mortality Investigation (CMI) unit and supplied by the Office of National Statistics.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Ah yes, Easter - yet another tradition Christianity took from the pagans.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Haven't read it for four years - how does Private Eye keep up if it's still fortnightly and the same size???

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

adam wrote:UK life expectancy among pensioners drops for first time in decades - From The Independent, 3 days ago

Updated projections from the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries suggest life expectancy will fall by four months for a 65-year-old man and by six months for a woman of the same age. Figures show that men aged 65 are anticipated to live a further 22.2 years, down from 22.8 years in 2013 and women a further 24.1 years, down from 25.1 years four years ago.

The data were compiled in the institute's Continuous Mortality Investigation (CMI) unit and supplied by the Office of National Statistics.
Good to see that story's finally reaching the MSM, we've already had it here a couple of times.

edited - in fact JC's talking about it, so we'll see where it goes from there, tories denying it, of course. Think they might struggle with that.
Last edited by gilsey on Tue 04 Apr, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I mean, this is just...

:wall:

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
adam wrote:UK life expectancy among pensioners drops for first time in decades - From The Independent, 3 days ago

Good to see that story's finally reaching the MSM, we've already had it here a couple of times.

edited - in fact JC's talking about it, so we'll see where it goes from there, tories denying it, of course. Think they might struggle with that.
JC mentioned it yesterday - almost immediately an EXTREMELY RESPECTED AND SERIOUS lobby journalist used it as proof he was a nutter fantasist :roll:
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

1. If you hate the media and cant disguise that when dealing with them, Leader of the Opposition is not the job for you.

2. The problem for Labour is now one that the Greens and Lib Dems have faced in the past. If you aren't going to be in government, then what you would do if you were is not a news story. The media aren't as a result interested. Internal party machinations, or poor poll ratings are a news story,

3. Giving out the judgment on Ken "Hitler was a Zionist" Livingstone on the day you launch your local election campaign is not a great idea.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The Secret Barrister's nailed it
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

To be honest, I think that is misleading having now read the ONS data

What has happened is that the rate of improvement has slowed. So the earlier actuarial estimate was wrong as it assumed improvements would continue at the same rate before. As that isn't happening, the earlier estimate has been adjusted.

There aren't earlier deaths, as Corbyn implies in his speech

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1591853 ... ours-local" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
joe‏
@mutablejoe

Follow
More
Nobody remembers the real story of Easter egg hunts anymore when Jesus lost an egg and was all like "where's my egg" and they looked for it
:D
Maybe asking Judas to arrange for dippy eggs & soldiers wasn't a good idea.
Attachments
last-supper_si.jpg.jpg
last-supper_si.jpg.jpg (93.82 KiB) Viewed 14510 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:I mean, this is just...

Just as with our PM, don't they have anything better to do?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Ah yes, Easter - yet another tradition Christianity took from the pagans.
Well, that's not wot it says here .....

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousben ... an-easter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Interesting from flipchartrick, including my own explanation of the 'productivity puzzle'.
https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.c ... ad-bosses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder how many firms care about productivity. Gross Value Add per worker is of interest to economists and ultimately determines how far living standards increase and how much tax revenue the country gets. But whether it is of interest to people running businesses is another matter. If you can make more profit simply by throwing more poorly paid people at something then why worry?
Exactly.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:I mean, this is just...

They even tweeted this.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/featur ... his-easter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Join the Cadbury Egg Hunts this Easter

How to make yourself look utter fools - well done C of E...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Another belter from that piece
At an ACAS event just over a year ago, Charlie Mayfield gave an example from his own sector of how cheap labour discourages productivity investment. In many French supermarkets the prices are updated with digital displays on the shelves. There is no point, he said, in doing this in the UK as it is cheaper to pay people to go round and update the prices. In France, however, with labour costs being much higher, the investment in the computerised system pays for itself.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

gilsey wrote:Another belter from that piece
At an ACAS event just over a year ago, Charlie Mayfield gave an example from his own sector of how cheap labour discourages productivity investment. In many French supermarkets the prices are updated with digital displays on the shelves. There is no point, he said, in doing this in the UK as it is cheaper to pay people to go round and update the prices. In France, however, with labour costs being much higher, the investment in the computerised system pays for itself.

The French unemployment rate is 10% while in the UK it is 4.7%. One of the problem with the UK's good jobs performance, is that so many have been low paid, thereby lowering productivity figures.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:

The French unemployment rate is 10% while in the UK it is 4.7%. One of the problem with the UK's good jobs performance, is that so many have been low paid, thereby lowering productivity figures.
Which means it can be argued - and indeed has been - that it isn't as "good" as all that.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Similar thing can be seen in steel industry, comparing levels of automation between u.k & India, some jobs are still done manually in India, because wages are low & managers from Indian plants are surprised to see that the effort's been made to automate them.
Historically(UK) Some things may get automated for safety or reliability, but otherwise it's usually down to savings & often, especially in downturns, investment has to payback in (often stupidly) short time, so isn't done.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh, interesting.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... er-egg-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Civil servants and former special advisers believe that May’s swift response is due to her longstanding antipathy to Helen Ghosh, the National Trust's director-general, with whom she clashed when Ghosh was permanent secretary at the Home Office and May was Home Secretary. (Ghosh left the Home Office in 2012 to take up her current role running the National Trust.)
Worth pointing out that May's principal advisers were at the Home Office too.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think it's a good jobs performance, but a bad skills performance. There doesn't need to be a big trade off.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Bloody hate Cadbury's "chocolate" myself. Being a metropolitan elitist, I ear real choc.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Do I detect a note of, "I'm doing what the proles have asked me to do - so, if it all goes wrong, they're to blame" creeping into Theresa May's utterences of late?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Which means it can be argued - and indeed has been - that it isn't as "good" as all that.
France has a far smaller percentage of part-time workers than the UK. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that if we put part-time jobs together, making the extra part-timers we have to France theoretically unemployed, the UK would have a similar level of unemployment.

Oh and our GDP per capita is very similar to France, so if our workers aren't getting paid as well as theirs, it must be because we're Tory voting, union bashing, mugs.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

French employment rate is even worse, around 65% when the UK's is 75%.

France in recent years is neither a success story, nor a model to follow.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think it's a good jobs performance, but a bad skills performance. There doesn't need to be a big trade off.
Not sure how productivity is measured, but would it be affected by plant utilisation?
ie; if demand for a product hasn't returned to prevent crash levels, an engineering company survives by focusing on the most profitable part of it's order book.
Overall production levels drop, profit per unit increases, but remaining workforce may be producing less per head & plant won't be running at maximum capacity or efficiency.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:French employment rate is even worse, around 65% when the UK's is 75%.

The "employment rate" isn't a particularly enlightening statistic. It tells us nothing of under-employment. It also assumes all people would choose to work, when some may prefer to stay home and raise a family if they could afford to do so.

The point everyone is making is that France's higher unemployment rate doesn't necessarily mean they are in a worse state than us, anymore than it suggests they're doing any better.

Same GDP per capita. Therefore we have the same capacity to redistribute the same level of wealth to all our citizens, but are following different paths leading to very different outcomes, that's the point for me. It shows how significant political choices can be.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:French employment rate is even worse, around 65% when the UK's is 75%.

The "employment rate" isn't a particularly enlightening statistic. It tells us nothing of under-employment. It also assumes all people would choose to work, when some may prefer to stay home and raise a family if they could afford to do so.

The point everyone is making is that France's higher unemployment rate doesn't necessarily mean they are in a worse state than us, anymore than it suggests they're doing any better.

Same GDP per capita. Therefore we have the same capacity to redistribute the same level of wealth to all our citizens, but are following different paths leading to very different outcomes, that's the point for me. It shows how significant political choices can be.

Oh, I think it does matter. It matters for long term social cohesion if you have large numbers of economically inactive people. See the banilieues. Bad for equality, bad for self worth.

There are, of course, lots of other factors in play, but on this I think the French have got the balance badly wrong.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The point is not that the French 65% is good, but that a large proportion of our 75% is made up of low-pay insecure "employment".
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Very interesting, and true, on why Burnham, the most inept of the front rank Labour pols of his generation, is not viewed with the same affection Sadiq is

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/andy ... other-2912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Working tax credits need guaranteeing and expanding. Paid for by tax rises.

I could take it if Labour were unpopular because it was speaking awkward truths on tax like it did till 1992. But it isn't. It's unpopular before its done any hard work. Flailing around with nonsense like a maximum wage and pulling a minimum wage rate out of John McDonnell's arse. And committing to the pensions triple lock.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The point is not that the French 65% is good, but that a large proportion of our 75% is made up of low-pay insecure "employment".
Skills problem. The labour market isnt too wrong. Provided the pay continues to be properly topped up.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Oh, I think it does matter. It matters for long term social cohesion if you have large numbers of economically inactive people. See the banilieues. Bad for equality, bad for self worth.

There are, of course, lots of other factors in play, but on this I think the French have got the balance badly wrong.

Economically inactive can include gap years, early retirement, caring and, that old chestnut, raising a family. If these things are undervalued in relation to being in paid servitude work I think that may also be bad for social cohesion and self worth. People actually get greater satisfaction and self worth from volunteering than they do in the same role as employees. Work isn't fulfilling because it's paid but because of the independence that pay allows. If you are working part time and being hounded by the DWP to constantly look for more work in return for top up benefits to achieve a level of income on which you can survive, do you really have more self-worth than someone collecting social security to which they are entitled through contributions while they are between jobs? Just a thought.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Working tax credits need guaranteeing and expanding. Paid for by tax rises.

I could take it if Labour were unpopular because it was speaking awkward truths on tax like it did till 1992. But it isn't. It's unpopular before its done any hard work. Flailing around with nonsense like a maximum wage and pulling a minimum wage rate out of John McDonnell's arse. And committing to the pensions triple lock.
Once you lose the discipline of possibly being in power, and having to implement what you promised, your proposals don't really have to be sensible.

See also the referendum. Leave could promise any crackpot stuff they liked.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

To be clear, I'm not at all backing the DWP shite when I say the labour market isn't too bad. I'd go back to abut 2007 when Jonathan Porte's was there.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:

Economically inactive can include gap years, early retirement, caring and, that old chestnut, raising a family. If these things are undervalued in relation to being in paid servitude work I think that may also be bad for social cohesion and self worth. People actually get greater satisfaction and self worth from volunteering than they do in the same role as employees. Work isn't fulfilling because it's paid but because of the independence that pay allows. If you are working part time and being hounded by the DWP to constantly look for more work in return for top up benefits to achieve a level of income on which you can survive, do you really have more self-worth than someone collecting social security to which they are entitled through contributions while they are between jobs? Just a thought.
[/quote]

It can indeed. French early retirement is a serious economic problem.

But the gap between 75% employment and 65% is huge. It isn't accounted for by people doing more charity work.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re SH's comment above about the leave campaign - that didn't work out too badly for them, it has to be said.......
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

SpinningHugo wrote:

To be honest, I think that is misleading having now read the ONS data

What has happened is that the rate of improvement has slowed. So the earlier actuarial estimate was wrong as it assumed improvements would continue at the same rate before. As that isn't happening, the earlier estimate has been adjusted.

There aren't earlier deaths, as Corbyn implies in his speech

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1591853 ... ours-local" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tbf, Your thoughts are often not based on anything but the hobby horse you ride in on. The figures do not show a slower rate of improvement. They show a doubling in the raw mortality figures in the period from 2013-16 with no commensurate difference in the way the statistics are collected. This has as yet been unaccounted for. Various attempts have been made to explain them, including a spurious claim that flu dates for 2015-6 cross a two year period. (Dec15-Mar16) Hancebmy use of the word 'spurious'. Get off your hobby horse for goodness sake. The villain is not Corbyn.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

SpinningHugo wrote:Oh, I think it does matter. It matters for long term social cohesion if you have large numbers of economically inactive people. See the banilieues. Bad for equality, bad for self worth.

(cJA edit)

:lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

seeingclearly wrote:
Tbf, Your thoughts are often not based on anything but the hobby horse you ride in on. The figures do not show a slower rate of improvement. They show a doubling in the raw mortality figures in the period from 2013-16 with no commensurate difference in the way the statistics are collected. This has as yet been unaccounted for. Various attempts have been made to explain them, including a spurious claim that flu dates for 2015-6 cross a two year period. (Dec15-Mar16) Hancebmy use of the word 'spurious'. Get off your hobby horse for goodness sake. The villain is not Corbyn.

My instant reaction on looking at the ONS data, is also the view of the Institute Actuaries themselves, on whose data the claim is based

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is the forecast for life expectancy that has fallen, not life expectancy itself: that has continued to rise.

Thanks for your input though.