Thursday 6th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 6th April 2017

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:But but but- I thought bombing Syria was unthinkable because a Russian plane would get shut down and precipitate nuclear war.
That was actually enforcing a "no fly zone" (including Russia's planes) there I think.

HRC was very enthusiastic about this, as were "war party" Labour MPs like John Woodcock - but they always became flannely and evasive when asked if they *would* shoot Russian stuff down if it came to the crunch; "of course the Russians would have the sense to go along with it, that would never happen" etc etc.

Forgive some of us for finding that unconvincing given past events.......
The situation in Syria is hugely dangerous. A basic rule in superpower conflict is never engage directly where the other side cannot afford to let you win.

Putin cannot and will not give up on the Assad regime (which is not quite the same as Assad). His credibility would not survive it, which means he will fight if Trump just wades in.

Militarily the options aren't great, offensive missions in range of those hugely capable Russian SAMs are risky, and you certainly can't attack them first. Plus Assad is a bastard but he isn't actively targetting the west.

So a wise president would stage a demonstration, a raid on Damascus probably, and clear it with Russia. A wiser president would double down on sanctions with Russia, sending the message - you own it, keep your allies on a leash or be held financially accountable.

Trump, no clue what he will do, but having declared intent he will feel the need to do something, no matter how stupid.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:@CJA Fireworks at (one of) the local hostelries.
Glad to know you're safe
:rock:
A likely cover story. There is a massive weasel armed insurrection going on right now. The media just don't report it because their agenda is Weasel centric.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... ell-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dougie Carswell's book sounds a bit stream of consciousness.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

And another thing... hours after the rest of the conversation finished, as though I were just carrying on with it...

If we do allow parents to take their children out of school during term time to go on holiday, then presumably we will also allow parents who can't afford to go on holiday to take their children out of school to just stay at home?
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

For my information,given I don't have children.Is it illegal to do so or discretionary in some cases(specific for holiday purposes)My sister ie.mum had different holidays (at an educational establishment)than her children?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nice to see you, TE.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:For my information,given I don't have children.Is it illegal to do so or discretionary in some cases(specific for holiday purposes)My sister ie.mum had different holidays (at an educational establishment)than her children?
The guidelines say
You have to get permission from the head teacher if you want to take your child out of school during term time.

You can only do this if:

you make an application to the head teacher in advance (as a parent the child normally lives with)
there are exceptional circumstances

It’s up to the head teacher how many days your child can be away from school if leave is granted.
I'm not sure how above the line further informal guidance is, but as I understand it Heads are roundly discouraged from approving exceptional circumstances.

Meanwhile. for what it's worth, I'm told we can authorise up to five days absence for 'religious observance' each academic year. Someone in my tutor group will be away for four days this year for Eastern Orthodox Christmas and Easter - and her absence involves traveling to Serbia. A holiday or religious observance?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for info.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

adam wrote:And another thing... hours after the rest of the conversation finished, as though I were just carrying on with it...

If we do allow parents to take their children out of school during term time to go on holiday, then presumably we will also allow parents who can't afford to go on holiday to take their children out of school to just stay at home?
I have tremendous admiration for teachers, as to me being surrounded by children is as near to hell as you can get, this side of a team building weekend.

I struggle to believe, given the choice, any parent would want the kids at home more than they had to. Perhaps those working as chimney sweeps (post Brexit - slave labour is a right, back off Brussels) might be the exception.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nice to see you, TE.
Don't be fooled, I am just angling for a space in HindleA's improvised bunker.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nice to see you, TE.
Don't be fooled, I am just angling for a space in HindleA's improvised bunker.
Watch out for fireworks.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

If anyone has an hour or seven to kill can I recommend 'S-Town' (actually 'Shit Town') - a podcast by Serial/This American Life. All seven hour(ish) episodes are on iTunes (and other places I'm sure) - I'm a bit over half way through it and it's very good indeed.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

TechnicalEphemera wrote: I have tremendous admiration for teachers, as to me being surrounded by children is as near to hell as you can get, this side of a team building weekend.
I have, of course, been on a team building weekend with a bunch of school children.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]qyLWuSEm9GE[/youtube]
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I've put a bit of weight on since then.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-16-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government must learn from catastrophic failure of tax credits contract

PAC
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Record number of GP closures force 265,000 to find new doctors
Surge in number of patients having to change practice comes despite NHS pledge to invest £2.4bn in GP services by 2020
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"It ends: “We all believe the public at large would find it difficult to understand why the government is redistributing bereavement support payments away from families with dependent children, towards those without.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... tagon-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US launches missile strikes near Homs – live
US military strike under way in Syria after gas attack in Idlib appears to have changed Donald Trump’s view on Bashar al-Assad
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My fellow Americans,

On Tuesday, Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad launched a horrible chemical weapons attack on innocent civilians using a deadly nerve agent.

Assad choked out the lives of innocent men, women and children. It was a slow and brutal death for so many. Even beautiful babies were cruelly murdered in this very barbaric attack.

No child of god should ever suffer such horror.

Tonight I ordered a targeted military strike on the airfield in Syria from where the chemical attack was launched.

It is in this vital national security interest of the United States to prevent and deter the spread and use of deadly chemical weapons.

There can be no dispute that Syria used banned chemical weapons, violated its obligations under the chemical weapons convention, and ignored the urging of the UN security council.

Years of previous attempts at changing Assad’s behaviour have all failed and failed very dramatically.

As a result the refugee crisis continues to deepen and the region continues to destabilise, threatening the United States and its allies.

Tonight I call on all civilised nations to join us in seeking to end the slaughter and bloodshed in Syria, and also to end terrorism of all kinds and all types.

We ask for god’s wisdom as we face the challenge of our very troubled world.

We pray for the lives of the wounded and for the souls of those who have passed.

And we hope that as long as America stands for justice that peace and harmony will in the end prevail.

Goodnight and god bless America and the entire world. Thank you.