Monday 10th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 10th April 2017

Post by HindleA »

Good thinking,may also claim religious markings.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The Great Dog Spirit Du-Lux
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Does Tarquin have a view on paint?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You are supposed to drink white spirit and it disappears,I think.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I can't find him.I think he has found a girlfriend and goes missing for a couple of days at a time,changes the subject if asked.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.nme.com/news/tv/ed-miliband- ... ch-2043663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed Miliband - rebel without sauce
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(for PF)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

If it's cheering up you want, this always did it for me.

It's Robert Webb.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have put cautionary Wet Paint signs I keep/"find" everything,just in case,you never know,just in case.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I keep things because I never know when I'll need them, even though I know for definite that I will not find them again in the unlikely event that I do (need them).

It's a gift.
And a curse.
Mostly a curse.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:And to be clear - I'm not only tedious about Brexit.
Probably didn't need saying.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I find that uses for bits of old toot I have lying around only come to light the day after I finally decide to sling them out.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have "I don't know what it is but looks too important to throw out"old sweet tin container.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Labelled "Fuck knows"just in case.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

On to kettle number 6(2007-2015),maybe I should give them away instead of cataloguing them.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

So on Syria, I endorse Hugo's summary, for the record. I play the ball not the man. There most certainly are cases that it is acceptable to attack a sovereign nation, the use of chemical weapons on children certainly falls the correct side of that argument.

However more broadly, we have two fairly clueless statements from Corbyn and also Boris on Russia/Syria.

In case Jeremy hasn't noticed we are in the middle of a cold war with Russia. They have annexed a chunk of Ukraine, their proxies shot down a 777 airliner killing a couple of hundred civilians. They have subverted the US election, they appear to be backing fascist candidates in Italy and France and they may well have interfered in the EU referendum.

The general lack of concerted western action against those bastards is worrying, because they are out to get us.

In the case of Boris, with his we can't back out of Syria. Will somebody tell the floppy haired muppet that we aren't and never will be, in Syria.

Any foreign minister other than Boris could get the G7, America's allies basically, to sign anything. What are the odds Germany and France just tell him to piss off.

Now my question on all this stuff is why do Momentum, Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne, Stop The War view Russia (kleptocratic fascist nationalist regime that murders political opponents) as being a. Left wing and b. Worthy of anything else other than utter hostility.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Helpfully the paint I am using,left over from I hate to think how many years ago,is labelled paint.My shed is carpeted by original dining room Axminster after room and therefore room flooring adaptions.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Net curtains after they went out of fashion and a rocking chair.Lawnmower has its own additional carpet and bespoke parking space.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

HindleA wrote:Helpfully the paint I am using,left over from I hate to think how many years ago,is labelled paint.My shed is carpeted by original dining room Axminster after room and therefore room flooring adaptions.
I never had great success using old paint, it never seems to dry quite right. Surely new paint is to be had at low cost, provided you are prepared to accept something labelled Magnolia as opposed to Blossom White.

The use of an Axminster for a shed might be considered an extravagance.

How does it cope with extended pipe smoking sessions, and continual pottering?
Release the Guardvarks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:So on Syria, I endorse Hugo's summary, for the record. I play the ball not the man. There most certainly are cases that it is acceptable to attack a sovereign nation, the use of chemical weapons on children certainly falls the correct side of that argument.

However more broadly, we have two fairly clueless statements from Corbyn and also Boris on Russia/Syria.

In case Jeremy hasn't noticed we are in the middle of a cold war with Russia. They have annexed a chunk of Ukraine, their proxies shot down a 777 airliner killing a couple of hundred civilians. They have subverted the US election, they appear to be backing fascist candidates in Italy and France and they may well have interfered in the EU referendum.

The general lack of concerted western action against those bastards is worrying, because they are out to get us.

In the case of Boris, with his we can't back out of Syria. Will somebody tell the floppy haired muppet that we aren't and never will be, in Syria.

Any foreign minister other than Boris could get the G7, America's allies basically, to sign anything. What are the odds Germany and France just tell him to piss off.

Now my question on all this stuff is why do Momentum, Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne, Stop The War view Russia (kleptocratic fascist nationalist regime that murders political opponents) as being a. Left wing and b. Worthy of anything else other than utter hostility.

Having read Milne in the Guardian and Corbyn in the Morning Star, it seems to be nothing more sophisticated than my enemy's enemy is my friend.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

While I am on the whole some countries are not our friends gig, the Chinese (Osborne's mates and supposed nuclear investors) appear to have been aggressively hacking western and Japanese companies.

There is a link to the full report at the front of this summary from Schneier.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... cloud.html
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Only doing one side of bathroom door,which somehow got forgotten to use up paint which we paid for for others to do.I don't trust myself any further or all but me or relatives to see(downstairs is the public one for use at a negotiated rate depending on urgency-the use of window cleaner almost pays for itself-the sight of a toilet seems to trigger the need.Fortuituously,the Axminster fitted the shed exactly,wasn't planned or original intention but seemed an opportunity too good to miss.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Having read Milne in the Guardian and Corbyn in the Morning Star, it seems to be nothing more sophisticated than my enemy's enemy is my friend.
Last time I looked America wasn't our enemy, Putin's Russia is absolutely the enemy of liberal western democracies.
Release the Guardvarks.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
HindleA wrote:Helpfully the paint I am using,left over from I hate to think how many years ago,is labelled paint.My shed is carpeted by original dining room Axminster after room and therefore room flooring adaptions.
I never had great success using old paint, it never seems to dry quite right. Surely new paint is to be had at low cost, provided you are prepared to accept something labelled Magnolia as opposed to Blossom White.

The use of an Axminster for a shed might be considered an extravagance.

How does it cope with extended pipe smoking sessions, and continual pottering?
Metropolitan elitism truly gone mad.
Though there's competition: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FFS
1.It wasn't for the bloody shed,but from a room that had it's floor area carpeting need changed and we didn't want an obvious patchwork quilt.
2.On carrying to the shed in pursuance of still being useful to us and on easiness basis I wondered if it would fit,amazingly exactly without faffing about.
3.I didn't even mention the satellite TV,stereo system and the 24 hour Shed Maid.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

F£!@ing airlines.

United overbook a flight (as ever) and bring in police to forcibly remove a passenger who doesn't want to get off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 76846.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The practice should be banned. People can always go on standby if they want, but if you've booked and confirmed a ticket, you've booked and confirmed a ticket.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

An airline spokesman said he did not know the details of what passengers were offered to get off, but defended the company’s conduct.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Think I may know where Tarquin has gone........
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Haven't flown for a while,how common is this?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Failureville‏ @Failureville 8h8 hours ago

It seems like the free-market solution to @united's #flight3411 problem would have been to increase the value of the offer to "volunteers".
indeed
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It seems to be standard practice. I have expressed displeasure at the practice quite recently (EasyJet). They evidently think it's fine to steal bits of your life.

http://www.independenttraveler.com/trav ... verbooking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.airpassengerrights.eu/en/you ... mmary.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.independent.co.uk/news-14-1/ ... 07684.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

HindleA wrote:Haven't flown for a while,how common is this?
Removing a passenger by physical force, after overbooking (as opposed to altercation or security concerns) unprecedented.

This is a PR fuck up of truly epic proportions.

You get overbooked all the time, when they get really desperate they start offering cold hard cash.

For the record Mr Airline, if I have a spare day I accept a 4 star hotel and an upgrade to business class on flights over 6 hours.

Of course they could always take the PIA approach and just write boarding passes and to hell with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... les-report
Last edited by TechnicalEphemera on Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cheers for info
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As a young bairn I travelled by freight plane at THE STATE'S EXPENSE.Think I had my own crate or similar.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:Net curtains after they went out of fashion
I'm sorry, when was this?

As the owner of an Edwardian terraced house with sash windows (reinstalled 10 years ago), net curtains are very much in!

As are stair-rods but that's another story...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for that Roger,just ,here I am,as far as I can tell I am the only person left with net curtains in the front rooms at least.We used to have them in all.I like net curtains,never went the dust collecting blinds things.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
HindleA wrote:Net curtains after they went out of fashion
I'm sorry, when was this?

As the owner of an Edwardian terraced house with sash windows (reinstalled 10 years ago), net curtains are very much in!

As are stair-rods but that's another story...
I've got a set of brass stair rods which I intend to put back in use once I can remember where I put them. I expect they're in one of the sheds (yes, I know - showing off again). I just hope that they haven't been carpeted over.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bearing in mind it takes me on average 7.3 years to notice things,tomorrow I will probably see everybody with net curtains.Definately a trend of concreting over front gardens here,I can say that with certainty.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Seems to be more cars than people.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If people stopped buying so many cars they could adequately carpet their sheds.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Antimacassars?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Antimacassars?
You'd need a fair few sewn together to carpet a shed, wouldn't you? Even a fairly small shed.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

One fad we definitely don't need back is stone-cladding.

As you know I'm doing research into local housing and seeing what would be underneath beautiful Victorian brickwork covered over with the most hideous stone-cladding is enough to make one weep. What on earth were people thinking - were they conned?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yeah
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Voiles. People still have net curtains, but they call them voiles.

And if I have to take out one more stone clad fire place.....seriously, what were people thinking in the 80's?

Where did the politics forum go btw? Not that I'm complaining. This home decor one is far less depressing.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Here's two houses from the same street near me. Doubt if there was anything wrong with the brickwork but owner was probably persuaded that it was a good thing in the long run to have that stuck over the top.

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
Where did the politics forum go btw?
Hijacked.

I've been looking at houses all day and went to the local historical society meeting tonight. Politics can get mighty dull - especially when people are fighting old battles all the time...
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Here's two houses from the same street near me. Doubt if there was anything wrong with the brickwork but owner was probably persuaded that it was a good thing in the long run to have that stuck over the top.

Like aluminium siding in the US.

Seen Tin Men?