Tuesday 11th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 11th April 2017

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I see Merkel backed Trump''s air strikes. And Hollandaise, I think.

It's easy for Corbyn and Lucas to oppose but the US needs anchoring to Europe. Trump''s opponents in the US don't need the EU banging away at the US.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Po-gress?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Po-gress?
What ?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I see Merkel backed Trump''s air strikes. And Hollandaise, I think.

It's easy for Corbyn and Lucas to oppose but the US needs anchoring to Europe. Trump''s opponents in the US don't need the EU banging away at the US.
Indeed Tubby

Which is why a right wing leader of Germany may need to ally with the US, whereas Her Majesty's Official opposition in the UK who, despite the best efforts of Po-gress, are a broadly left wing party should perhaps provide some, err, opposition?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nobody will mistake your for the PM if you do like Corbyn.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

pk1 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Po-gress?
What ?
Oh just Hugo's "I'm not usually po-faced" from earlier ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

SH if it impossible to pre determine how do you know it is obviously wrong

Rhetorical question.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nobody will mistake your for the PM if you do like Corbyn.
Not in the neo-liberal hell we've become no.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Merkel and Hollande are neo-liberal ultras, are they?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well as you surely know Flanby's approval ratings make Jez look good in comparison. A complete waste of space since his election, and a crushing disappointment for the left across Europe.

Unlike him I have some respect for Merkel, and she is quite entitled to take the view she does. Others are equally free to disagree.

As related upthread, by no means is the whole EU on board regarding this.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Merkel and Hollande are neo-liberal ultras, are they?
Oh Tubby I didn't reply on Hollande and you know it.

Merkel actually belongs IMHO to an older tradition we used to call "monetarist" I think, out of Chicago via Thatcher and Reagan.

It's funny how she now look like some shining beacon of reason. But IMHO her approach to the economy, as expressed often through the ECB, has much to answer for in our current predicament. The disastrous rules (I can't even remember what they are called now) for Euro membership led directly to the crash in Greece and less so in other areas in Europe and so, politically, to some of the major political problems in the EU.

I have respect for her in some areas, not least foreign policy, but she is no angel.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Greece led directly to Greece. Nobody else.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Greece led directly to Greece. Nobody else.
Err they have been in the EU and the Euro zone.

For clarity, I'm not blaming Merkel for the Euro, of course, but for enforcing the monetarist rules that came with it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Greece is still leading to Greece. Only just done a deal on pensions, the biggest bugbear of the creditors.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Point is if it's not OK to be to the left of Merkel we truly are doomed.

And now apologies all for having taken up more than my fair share of space here today.

Toodle-oo ;-)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

HindleA wrote:SH if it impossible to pre determine how do you know it is obviously wrong

Rhetorical question.

I don't think rhetorical is the adjective you're looking for.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Could have stopped after "I don't think"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

That was meant as a self directed(ie to me)jibe.

You made valid points on lpc/wages boards etc,to be fair.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Point is if it's not OK to be to the left of Merkel we truly are doomed.

And now apologies all for having taken up more than my fair share of space here today.

Toodle-oo ;-)
No need to ever apologise for contributing here, certainly not in your case anyway :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Point is if it's not OK to be to the left of Merkel we truly are doomed.

Toodle-oo ;-)
Well, I hope you come back today.

I'm very worry about Britain getting isolated.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Greece led directly to Greece. Nobody else.
Err they have been in the EU and the Euro zone.

For clarity, I'm not blaming Merkel for the Euro, of course, but for enforcing the monetarist rules that came with it.
The rules have been tough on a number of countries, I agree, but when the rules would have prevented Greece from joining the Euro in the first place if Greece hadn't contrived to hide its true debt situation, I think what has happened as a result is at least partially Greece's responsibility. Although, greater caution could have been applied when considering their application. Goldman Sachs must hold some responsibility also, I should have thought, but we don't hear much about that.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Posted in error.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Greece could have still sorted stuff out after joining. The Euro was very much launched at a "moment", with stuff still to be sorted out. Some places did, like Belgium, which had awful debt in the mid 90s, other places didn't. There wasn't really any way of making especially Greece make changes. Hence the very strict stuff now which was harsh on Ireland and Spain.

Plus, of course, Italy, which isn't anything like as bad as Greece but is huge.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Labour claiming Tories will privatise our home care service,to be honest I haven't looked,but what can be said in the two times in power with thirty year gap,in the first they tried to contrary to prior pledge and in the second,introduced charging(we were one of the handful that didn't charge)again contrary to previous pledge,so whatever their stated position their aim is to privatise en masse or in effect,the union ensures decent wages and conditions much to their obvious chagrin.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is good on the run up to crisis in Greece.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/takis-s-p ... ece-failed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greek society became the recipient of three types of state-related benefits: real incomes (such as salaries and pensions) derived from classical patronage functions; privileged protection against market risks; and impunity from the law.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Toodle-oo ;-)

We are isolated, outside the EU we have less influence than Belgium.

Also the idea that opposition to bombing a military target that launched a Sarin attack on children makes you left wing is total bollocks.

It might indicate a personal opinion, which is fine, memership of the Stop The West Coalition, or that you are Briebart, Nigel Farage or Katie Bloody Hopkins.
Release the Guardvarks.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

it's like going back to Leeds and finding that they've made the Eldon open plan
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Or worse that they've now also turned the Packhorse into a shitehole (which clearly they have)
http://www.thepackhorseleeds.co.uk/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

clearly we have lost our soul
Brexit was just the final nail
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Must have past that pub,or nearby,numerous times in annual running around for hours until you end up in the same place event,incredibly several thousands do it,I know because I see them all in front of me,but I have never heard of it,granted it takes me some years for information to be processed.
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... n-team-bus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Toodle-oo ;-)

We are isolated, outside the EU we have less influence than Belgium.

Also the idea that opposition to bombing a military target that launched a Sarin attack on children makes you left wing is total bollocks.

It might indicate a personal opinion, which is fine, memership of the Stop The West Coalition, or that you are Briebart, Nigel Farage or Katie Bloody Hopkins.
Thanks for the "bollocks" remark on what was a totally reasonable comment I believe. If indeed it was aimed at me.

I focused primarily on the duty of an opposition to oppose! But you have ignored this point completely. Nevertheless, I think it's fair to say that the left tend to seek a more consensual approach to foreign policy than the right.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good afternoon from NYC, and food evening to you all

I have just read some of the posts over the last few days

Number 1 post for lacking self-awareness is from TE who thinks that playing the man is not on (I assume he means because I express my personal opinion on Hugo, which I think is pertinent as I am not of the assumption I am not debating with someone who is honest and so will change his story depending on the direction on the wind) when every post he puts on here seems to involve some sort of 'Corbyn is crap' paragraph. In this he is ably supported by his pal Hugo....

In response to the post above, I don't think anyone here has suggested that being left-wing is based on opposition to chemical weapon attacks - that is a ridiculous statement to be honest. Just as it does not make you right wing to support it.

My opinion is that the war in Syria involves disgraceful behaviour from all sides, especially Assad, and has been an abject failure of international diplomacy. There was a time when a military response may have played a part in holding back the civil war but that is long past now and any military intervention is fraught with problems. Assad was feted by us when he was useful, just like Saddam was in previous times and now he is not so popular with those in power.

My issue with he attack last week was that it seem there has been no consideration of the consequences and planning as to what to do next. Any intervention needs to take that into account. It is not the 'what' that bothers me as much as the 'how' and 'what next?'

The idea that a direct intervention from someone as unstable and reactive as Trump is wholly good is naive in my view and the consequences may not be apparent yet.

Those who have been solidly behind the Trump action and who have come out above insulting those who suggest that it may not have been wise should just hold back a bit and there have even been suggestions that this is the only way as 'diplomacy' and 'peace' are not an option - although what the military only option is evades a bit and I have not seen anything suggesting the US/UK know either

I get the feeling that the world is holding its breath a bit to see whether Trump has got away with this one (and he may have) and it will be seen as a success if it prevents further chemical attacks. The problem is I do see this as Trump 'getting away with it' and it seems he is becoming more interventionist as predicted. His threats against North Korea another example.

One day his type of active intervention without any seeming work alongside diplomacy will lead to severe consequences, and I think that is what I am cautioning against

So, opposition to the way Trump has gone about this action in Syria is not linked to support of Assad or because I am left wing - it is because the man in the White House is still as unstable and unprincipled as the day before the bombing, and that his approach to foreign affairs may have drastic consequences one day.....

The response from TE and Hugo is a left-over from the neoliberal interventionist policies form the Bush/Blair eras....know it is the Trump/May era and, never mind how much I distrusted the former two, I have even less confidence in the latter.

And now to the accusations of 'whataboutery' - the one problem with being interventionist is that you have people making a lot of noise about intervention is some areas but not in others....how about intervening in the Saudi Arabian attack on Yemen by not selling them weapons, or intervening in Bahrain by not selling them weapons, or by intervening in the death squads in the Philippines by not crawling to their vile President. And then supporting a repugnant Israeli Government in its actions....this type of behaviour undermines the arguments put forward by our Governments

Syria's problems will only be solved by diplomatic discussion - there is no military intervention that will change that - I assume though that Hugo, having rubbished any comments on diplomacy or looking for peace will have all the answers as to how this will occur?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Oh so grudging ;-)
In private, even Corbyn’s staunchest critics reluctantly welcome the renewed vigour with which Labour’s top team appears to be approaching policymaking – though some joke the policies are more Miliband than Marx. But even his most enthusiastic advocates wonder whether it may be too little, too late.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-too-late" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Oh so grudging ;-)
In private, even Corbyn’s staunchest critics reluctantly welcome the renewed vigour with which Labour’s top team appears to be approaching policymaking – though some joke the policies are more Miliband than Marx. But even his most enthusiastic advocates wonder whether it may be too little, too late.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-too-late" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too late for what exactly?

Is there an election before 2020 I have not heard of?

Wasn't this the discussion about Miliband in the last Parliament - that he had to announce policies 3 years before an election?

At the moment we have now idea what Brexit will look like in reality or in what state the economy will be in. Also, it is obvious ti anyone wit a political brain that the Tories will steal any decent policies, or at least pretend to, and so revealing them too early is naïve in the extreme

The Tory 2015 manifesto was a document of lies, mistruths and abandoned policies - why should Labour actually have any policies that work and are costed - we should just make up some things like the Tories do

We are told the Tories are seen as more competent and May and Cameron were popular PM so perhaps wasting energy on policies by Labour is not the thing to do?

Trump got elected with no policies either......so, again, why bother?

Policies that are costed and based on truth are so 20th century!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

guess what?
I don't give a flying f*&$ who likes who and who doesn't like who and who thinks who's a troll and who doesn't.

what I am interested in is your thoughts on all the other stuff. I think we've just about got it on where we all stand on each other, so it probably doesn't need airing further.

Ta.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:guess what?
I don't give a flying f*&$ who likes who and who doesn't like who and who thinks who's a troll and who doesn't.

what I am interested in is your thoughts on all the other stuff. I think we've just about got it on where we all stand on each other, so it probably doesn't need airing further.

Ta.
I don't give a flying f*&$ what you think either......so probably you should stop telling other people what to post

Ta
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

morality and legality not always aligned:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 78716.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
United Airlines passenger dragged off overbooked flight ‘broke the law,’ says aviation legal expert
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

howsillyofme1 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Oh so grudging ;-)

Too late for what exactly?

Is there an election before 2020 I have not heard of?

Wasn't this the discussion about Miliband in the last Parliament - that he had to announce policies 3 years before an election?

At the moment we have now idea what Brexit will look like in reality or in what state the economy will be in. Also, it is obvious ti anyone wit a political brain that the Tories will steal any decent policies, or at least pretend to, and so revealing them too early is naïve in the extreme

The Tory 2015 manifesto was a document of lies, mistruths and abandoned policies - why should Labour actually have any policies that work and are costed - we should just make up some things like the Tories do

We are told the Tories are seen as more competent and May and Cameron were popular PM so perhaps wasting energy on policies by Labour is not the thing to do?

Trump got elected with no policies either......so, again, why bother?

Policies that are costed and based on truth are so 20th century!
The other response has been "but these aren't new policies, these are Ed's policies".

Try as I might, given Ed resigned, I can find no reason why some of his policies shouldn't be recycled.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

In other words, damned if you do have policies, damned if you don't.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Far from a Corbyn supporter but obvious they've and the militant anti Corbyn elements,regardless on effect on partyists that every angle is covered.No policy,extreme policy,copied policy,every utterance is shit,every non utterance is neglectful shit,his shadow cabinet is shit,even if the same people that in an imagined former life were not,mysteriously transformed.You don't have to believe they are scared of him winning bollox,and even I,with two remaining functioning braincells rapidly reducing to one after paint intoxication ,recognise,the resulting deleterious effects on party,regardless.I tend to,given it is local elections in May,concern myself with that,given they are responsible for crucial areas of life,and the Tories are in power,unless I've missed(quite possibly) a GE upcoming date,given the vote Green,which I can't do anyway repetitions,and,despite it doesn't matter line,personal experience suggests it fucking does.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 11 Apr, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

Ta.
I don't give a flying f*&$ what you think either......so probably you should stop telling other people what to post

Ta
Sigh.
What I said was:
"what I am interested in is your thoughts"

I honestly don't think that requesting that we lay off each other and focus on the content instead is especially objectionable. If it is, I guess I'm in the wrong place. It is indeed, like the Packhorse gone "gastro".
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

Ta.

Ta
Sigh.
What I said was:
"what I am interested in is your thoughts"

I honestly don't think that requesting that we lay off each other and focus on the content instead is especially objectionable. If it is, I guess I'm in the wrong place. It is indeed, like the Packhorse gone "gastro".

you are right, I was wrong....

I stand by having the right to point out if I think someone on here is less than honest with their intentions though.....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anyway..........Sean Spicer, anyone??
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:In other words, damned if you do have policies, damned if you don't.

Indeed......déjà view from 2012/2013 I think

I am happy to see Miliband having a legacy with respect to Labour policies.......

I thought Labour were hard-left though?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anyway..........Sean Spicer, anyone??
Best ignored?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anyway..........Sean Spicer, anyone??
Yes, not good...

Wonder how many of the Trump enthusiasts are thinking "What have we done?" right now.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But.....but I thought The Donald only employed the BESTEST and BIGLIEST people to work for him??!!??
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apologies if some repetition of points made in my previous post,if indeed anybody read or deciphered,by the time I'd finished several posts had appeared in the meantime.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

tinyclanger2 wrote:morality and legality not always aligned:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 78716.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
United Airlines passenger dragged off overbooked flight ‘broke the law,’ says aviation legal expert
The aviation legal expert is utterly wrong, you will be pleased to know.

UA have not only misapplied aviation law, they have also broken their own Ts&Cs.

1. They are permitted to deny boarding, they are not permitted to tell you to leave once you have boarded. The exception being safety of the aircraft and or other passengers. Doesn't apply here.

2. The flight was not overbooked 4 UA employees turned up and the company decided they needed to fly them to a specific destination.

3. They invoked security to deal with a purely commercial dispute, where passenger compliance with their instructions was not required.

4. Even worse than the CEO email, somebody has leaked details of a spent conviction, which will probably cost the passenger his current and future job. This just adds yet more zeros to what will be a huge compensation claim.

5. The flights destination was a 4.5 hour drive away.

6. Total cost to company shares $600 million.

If the CEO lasts the week I will be shocked. This one is going down in history as one of the great PR disasters.
Release the Guardvarks.