Tuesday, 18th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday, 18th April 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
I am genuinely sorry for being part of that tc but try to look positively....if you can

Seeingclearly and Hindle's contributions can help
I now have a cup of tea (half a sugar) beside me.
things are looking up!
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

“The election is likely to shore up the government’s hard Brexit line, making it even more likely to happen. However, we have felt for a while that the pound would rally. The devaluation that has taken place since the EU referendum has left sterling looking undervalued. Eventually those who have been speculating on its decline would need to close their positions,” said head of research, Guy Foster.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This doesn't make any sense.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

citizenJA wrote:
“The election is likely to shore up the government’s hard Brexit line, making it even more likely to happen. However, we have felt for a while that the pound would rally. The devaluation that has taken place since the EU referendum has left sterling looking undervalued. Eventually those who have been speculating on its decline would need to close their positions,” said head of research, Guy Foster.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This doesn't make any sense.
What does?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Useful list of Labour MPs I could vote for

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... article-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'M BEING TANNINED!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

It has been a surprise today and I think there is a bit of confusion around

In the end though Labour have the leader and PLP they have and probably not much is going to change there

What is important is that we get together and try to ensure that this is seen as a bad move by May

Focus on the party that has proved itself to be incompetent since 2010....i know some of you think Corbyn will be a bad PM but we know without doubt May is (and Cameron before)

What has annoyed me today is that there are posters who see the Tory menu as being better.....what they are doing on here if that is the case is beyond me. After what we have seen happen since 2010....
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... alculation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicola Sturgeon: June election is huge miscalculation
First minister says Theresa May wants to move UK further to the right and Scotland needs to be protected from the Tories
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The SNP vote is at about 47% but Tory support in Scotland has doubled to about 28% since the 2015 election, with many unionist voters flocking to the party. It hopes to win seats in the Scottish Borders, East Renfrewshire and north-east Scotland.
Unionist voters flocking to the party who are engineering the break up of the UK.
That works.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

In answer to AK's West Wing comments.

Firstly never seen it, never will. Real politics is grim, fictional politics pointless.

And I certainly can't speak for SH. But as a pragmatic centerist I think your analysis is off a bit. This is what I believe.

A Tory government is a bad thing and should be avoided at almost all costs (a UKIP government would be worse). Many deeply vulnerable people will suffer terribly as a result of the seriously shit government we have coming up.

However to stop a Tory government you have to build a coalition of voters prepared to back you. Therefore you have to compromise to build that winning coalition. Once elected you should seek to move the country as far to the left as you can whilst delivering on your promised manifesto.

By its nature this is messy stuff because the UK is broadly conservative (small c). However if you achieve it you can both stop the tragedy of a Tory government and you can do at least some good. Clearly you have to retain some key principles around fairness and equality, which is why Harriet Harman deserves the condemnation she got when she supported cuts targetting the poorest for no value. She had lost her moral compass in the tactics of Westminster.

I find Corbyn utterly wrong to insist on fighting an election that he is going to lose when he knows that it is his leadership people are rejecting. Why subject the country to a completely unrestrained Tory hegemony when other Labour candidates could at least do much better in the polls.

This is in my view a betrayal of a great many people, and possibly his own legacy.

But this is not the view of somebody caught up in political games, it is the view of somebody desperate to prevent the hard right shitstorm that will follow a thumping Tory victory.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:In answer to AK's West Wing comments.

Firstly never seen it, never will. Real politics is grim, fictional politics pointless.

And I certainly can't speak for SH. But as a pragmatic centerist I think your analysis is off a bit. This is what I believe.

A Tory government is a bad thing and should be avoided at almost all costs (a UKIP government would be worse). Many deeply vulnerable people will suffer terribly as a result of the seriously shit government we have coming up.

However to stop a Tory government you have to build a coalition of voters prepared to back you. Therefore you have to compromise to build that winning coalition. Once elected you should seek to move the country as far to the left as you can whilst delivering on your promised manifesto.

By its nature this is messy stuff because the UK is broadly conservative (small c). However if you achieve it you can both stop the tragedy of a Tory government and you can do at least some good. Clearly you have to retain some key principles around fairness and equality, which is why Harriet Harman deserves the condemnation she got when she supported cuts targetting the poorest for no value. She had lost her moral compass in the tactics of Westminster.

I find Corbyn utterly wrong to insist on fighting an election that he is going to lose when he knows that it is his leadership people are rejecting. Why subject the country to a completely unrestrained Tory hegemony when other Labour candidates could at least do much better in the polls.

This is in my view a betrayal of a great many people, and possibly his own legacy.

But this is not the view of somebody caught up in political games, it is the view of somebody desperate to prevent the hard right shitstorm that will follow a thumping Tory victory.
That is a good post and I agree with the main thrust....I disagree about Corbyn (see Trump and Melancon) and I also fail to see why the left always has to 'compromise' when the right never does
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well the menus on here locally are clear,they were clear when the Tories,then limping along with UKIP defection were booted out unceremoniously in '13.Not a question of blaming or not of electorate but a constant reminder of that difference and working for continued Labour control,rather than as suggested(1)purposefully undermining in a strategy of making Corbyn weaker and the throwing people under a bus will be worth it method(2)Wasting endless energy in bewailment we're all doomed,it doesn't make any difference self fullfillment to prove yourselves correct/diverted,either by intent or effect from (3)Do your best,as stated,above and reminder peoples' lives,livelihoods,prospects,care are intrinsically linked to the choice to made.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... n-24-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
swam here as child
When it opened in 1906, Victoria Baths was described as “the most splendid municipal bathing institution in the country” and “a water palace of which every citizen of Manchester can be proud”.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I use the term "swam" loosely.
I didn't completely sink.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

But

1. There are some good political dramas. I'd recommend All the King's Men (1949) and Advise and Consent (1962). I also liked the original House of Cards. West Wing always struck me as boring liberal fantasy.

2. You have to get into the Corbyn mindset. For that wing of opinion, Blairite victory was just Tory government by other means. So the only way of achieving real social change is to take control of Labour, wait for an economic crisis (that capitalist economies always produce) and then take power. It is a waiting game. if you've waited 40 years, you'll wait longer still.

Here and now electoral results don't really count. It is all about the longterm, and taking control of the Labour movement. McDonnell is not an idiot. Only then can you see that it isn't, from that perspective, egotistical immorality.

I wonder if Corbyn can hold on once this election is lost? Politics is really interesting recently, if nothing else.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Theresa May rules out participating in TV debates before election
Jeremy Corbyn says PM should not dodge debates, and Tim Farron calls for broadcasters to ‘empty chair’ her
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Is it safe for me to come out as a West Wing obsessive who has seen the Sorkin seasons about eight times and subscribes to a weekly podcast currently analysing every episode....?

:)
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

tinyclanger2 wrote:and now feeling sorry for the chocolate bunny
Only toes left now. Superior chocolate. European. It met its destiny goofy teeth and all.

I once had a marzipan bambi, felt sorry for it, after a while it went green and my mum chucked it.
Lyons Tea House.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Nowt wrong with The West Wing and the like, as long as you can segregate them and not expect real life to be like that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think the Corbyn plan was always misconceived. Barrack Obama is the most charismatic politician of my lifetime. He put a couple of percent on the turnout. And I know of no evidence that non-voters are left wingers manques. Labour all but told swing voters it didn't want them. Swing voters are now solidly in the Tory column.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

NonOxCol wrote:Is it safe for me to come out as a West Wing obsessive who has seen the Sorkin seasons about eight times and subscribes to a weekly podcast currently analysing every episode....?

:)
Yes.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Theresa May rules out participating in TV debates before election
Jeremy Corbyn says PM should not dodge debates, and Tim Farron calls for broadcasters to ‘empty chair’ her
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All fair comment, but Cameron didn't suffer from it. And anyway, Corbyn didn't do debates in the Referendum. How convincingly can he say he must appear in them now?

Cameron drove he debates happening in 2010. It cost him his majority, quite probably. Can't see somebody in the lead demanding them again.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

seeingclearly wrote:
Only toes left now. Superior chocolate. European. It met its destiny goofy teeth and all.

I once had a marzipan bambi, felt sorry for it, after a while it went green and my mum chucked it.
Lyons Tea House.
Had a similar experience with a small chocolate hedgehog.
still have it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
The SNP vote is at about 47% but Tory support in Scotland has doubled to about 28% since the 2015 election, with many unionist voters flocking to the party. It hopes to win seats in the Scottish Borders, East Renfrewshire and north-east Scotland.
Unionist voters flocking to the party who are engineering the break up of the UK.
That works.
It makes more sense than voting SNP in their seats, who will be the rivals. Except maybe for Orkney and Shetland.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not next door,two in the Labour column,never voted before.Half an hour it took.Of course no quarantee and no doubt guffaws will be aplenty and piss taking will continue,but fuck it,you do what you can.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Maybe his saying what he has now is a form of "suicide by cop"?
I expect so.

I did see a survey of MPs in marginals and how Corbynite they were (not very). Anyone with a link? We could lose quite a few MPs you disapprove of. Jess Phillips must be worried for example.
Its not just me who disapproves of her, tbf ;)

Ah well, she would then have more time to write crappy self-promoting books fawned over by her journo mates.
She will be of no use to her journo mates if she's not trouble maker in chief in parliament for Corbyn. It'll be back to reality for Jess.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

SpinningHugo wrote:

But

1. There are some good political dramas. I'd recommend All the King's Men (1949) and Advise and Consent (1962). I also liked the original House of Cards. West Wing always struck me as boring liberal fantasy.

2. You have to get into the Corbyn mindset. For that wing of opinion, Blairite victory was just Tory government by other means. So the only way of achieving real social change is to take control of Labour, wait for an economic crisis (that capitalist economies always produce) and then take power. It is a waiting game. if you've waited 40 years, you'll wait longer still.

Here and now electoral results don't really count. It is all about the longterm, and taking control of the Labour movement. McDonnell is not an idiot. Only then can you see that it isn't, from that perspective, egotistical immorality.

I wonder if Corbyn can hold on once this election is lost? Politics is really interesting recently, if nothing else.
For once just have a little respect. Real peoples lives are being destroyed here while you play your games. Today Corbyn was talking to unpaid carers while the BBC reported him as addressing the faithful. This is the kind of devious undermining of support for people that passes for news these days. So utterly dysfunctional is our everloving State these days that there are many such people, in a nation which actually allocates revenue, who dare not claim, because of potential damage to life and minds, it runs into billions. But the people who have policies to try and mitigate this are lied about, the public deceived, and disinformation and utter tripe abounds.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Did we have this?

Ben de Pear‏Verified account
@bendepear
BREAKING CPS have just told @Channel4News that they are considering charges against more than 30 individuals over #electionexpenses for 2015

Could be interesting.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:

But

My idea of a good political drama is Blakes 7. The rest - meh.

I don't need to get into the Corbyn mindset, I understand it, I just utterly reject it. Its key fallacy is something will turn up to make the hard left electable, never looked like it for a century, and that the Lib Dems wouldn't take over as the opposition (they would).

Tony Blair has achieved more for the NHS, the disabled and the poor of this country than Corbyn ever has or ever will.

National Minimum Wage, Utilities Windfall Tax, huge NHS investment, working tax credits, union recognition, improved rights at work, HRA, abolition of Clause 28, end of hunting with dogs, aggressive climate change targets. The list is much longer.

Corbyn seeing that as a continuation of a Tory government is part of his problem. I think he will try and hang on, not sure what happens next, but that isn't a universal view here.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Traitorous scum unwilling to throw people under a bus,that's me.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

seeingclearly wrote: For once just have a little respect. Real peoples lives are being destroyed here while you play your games. Today Corbyn was talking to unpaid carers while the BBC reported him as addressing the faithful. This is the kind of devious undermining of support for people that passes for news these days. So utterly dysfunctional is our everloving State these days that there are many such people, in a nation which actually allocates revenue, who dare not claim, because of potential damage to life and minds, it runs into billions. But the people who have policies to try and mitigate this are lied about, the public deceived, and disinformation and utter tripe abounds.
You don't need to lie about Corbyn to trounce him in a General Election.

Ask him if he condemns IRA terrorism. See how well his response goes down. Newspapers could be totally honest about it. Candidates then get asked about it and have to disagree with the leader. Newspapers report that truthfully. Public takes very dim view.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

But

I don't need to get into the Corbyn mindset, I understand it, I just utterly reject it. Its key fallacy is something will turn up to make the hard left electable, never looked like it for a century, and that the Lib Dems wouldn't take over as the opposition (they would).

Tony Blair has achieved more for the NHS, the disabled and the poor of this country than Corbyn ever has or ever will.

National Minimum Wage, Utilities Windfall Tax, huge NHS investment, working tax credits, union recognition, improved rights at work, HRA, abolition of Clause 28, end of hunting with dogs, aggressive climate change targets. The list is much longer.

Corbyn seeing that as a continuation of a Tory government is part of his problem. I think he will try and hang on, not sure what happens next, but that isn't a universal view here.
I don't think Corbyn does see it like that. Some very noisy partisans of his do though.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think the Corbyn plan was always misconceived. Barrack Obama is the most charismatic politician of my lifetime. He put a couple of percent on the turnout. And I know of no evidence that non-voters are left wingers manques. Labour all but told swing voters it didn't want them. Swing voters are now solidly in the Tory column.
Yup, defintely in the same mould. Or in imitation of...
And not a chocolate bunny.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

Lyons Tea House.
Had a similar experience with a small chocolate hedgehog.
still have it.
Real hedgehogs are more trouble, quite smelly and demanding. Plus you have to track down a hedgehog rescue centre to treat it and rehab it.

Occasionally get one struggling about in the day, which almost always means intervention.
Release the Guardvarks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

But

Well, you're singing to the choir there.

I suppose it turns on how bad the defeat is. If he can keep it down to, say 20 seats lost he can say it was down to the coup, and try to ride it out.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

But

I don't think Corbyn does see it like that. Some very noisy partisans of his do though.
How else could he rationalise his behaviour?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Theresa May rules out participating in TV debates before election
All fair comment, but Cameron didn't suffer from it. And anyway, Corbyn didn't do debates in the Referendum. How convincingly can he say he must appear in them now?

Cameron drove he debates happening in 2010. It cost him his majority, quite probably. Can't see somebody in the lead demanding them again.
Corbyn wasn't leading any of the campaigns during the referendum.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Well.
Jessica Elgot‏Verified account
@jessicaelgot

Follow
More
NEW: All sitting Labour MPs will be automatically reselected
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

seeingclearly wrote: For once just have a little respect. Real peoples lives are being destroyed here while you play your games. Today Corbyn was talking to unpaid carers while the BBC reported him as addressing the faithful. This is the kind of devious undermining of support for people that passes for news these days. So utterly dysfunctional is our everloving State these days that there are many such people, in a nation which actually allocates revenue, who dare not claim, because of potential damage to life and minds, it runs into billions. But the people who have policies to try and mitigate this are lied about, the public deceived, and disinformation and utter tripe abounds.
Yes.

There are many brands of politics who think that if only the people knew the truth they'd support them. If only the bovine people weren't so easily deceived.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Ask him if he condemns IRA terrorism. See how well his response goes down. Newspapers could be totally honest about it. Candidates then get asked about it and have to disagree with the leader. Newspapers report that truthfully. Public takes very dim view.
I think the wheels will come off on CND and terrorism in general (two entirely unrelated issues I hasten to add). I imagine that will be 70% of the Tory campaign. The rest Brexit, Leadership, and of course the economy. However we no longer have to speculate, we can observe.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well.
@jessicaelgot

Follow
More
Excuse my ignorance, who is she?
Release the Guardvarks.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Well.
@jessicaelgot

Follow
More
Excuse my ignorance, who is she?
She's a Guardian political correspondent\reporter.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

refitman wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Corbyn wasn't leading any of the campaigns during the referendum.
Nor were Amber Rudd, Nicola Sturgeon, Sadiq Khan or Frances O'Grady. They got on TV and had a decent go. Sturgeon must have known that Brexit was a boon to her party, but I didn't detect any lack of effort or preparation on her part. I respected that a lot.

The debates were not a great spectacle, but he had to get on there. Predictable that the media would go Dave v Boris, and he had to take any chance of disrupting that. But apparently his team were worried about people associating them with the Tories. Another Milne master move.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tories feared Corbyn would resign after local elections

https://www.ft.com/content/559a0efe-242 ... f7e0cd0a16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I think the wheels will come off on CND and terrorism in general (two entirely unrelated issues I hasten to add). I imagine that will be 70% of the Tory campaign. The rest Brexit, Leadership, and of course the economy. However we no longer have to speculate, we can observe.
Venezuela is another. Then ask "do you want this man borrowing £350bn for an investment bank?" That's truthful, and a killer. True to form, they're lying and saying £500bn because that way Labour waste a couple of news cycles saying it's only £350bn.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Apparently on the 18th April 1930 there was officially no news, according to the BBC.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote: How else could he rationalise his behaviour?
I think he reckons he could turn it around in more time.

The pre-existing Labour left, the ones I know anyway, have put themselves out to defend Labour achievements from office. The problem is a whole new crowd among the new members who see it in poisonous terms. I remember seeing that one Spartist twat from my hometown was now in Labour. I knew we were in trouble then.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Philip Hammond has signalled that the government is facing a multibillion-pound loss from selling off its 73% stake in Royal Bank of Scotland.

The chancellor told MPs that that “we have to live in the real world”, as he indicated that the remaining shares could be sold below the 502p average price that was paid for them during 2008 and 2009 when £45bn of taxpayers’ money was pumped into the Edinburgh-based bank.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... chancellor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Multibillion-pound loss?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: How else could he rationalise his behaviour?
I think he reckons he could turn it around in more time.

The pre-existing Labour left, the ones I know anyway, have put themselves out to defend Labour achievements from office. The problem is a whole new crowd among the new members who see it in poisonous terms. I remember seeing that one Spartist twat from my hometown was now in Labour. I knew we were in trouble then.
Welcome to my CLP.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Philip Hammond has signalled that the government is facing a multibillion-pound loss from selling off its 73% stake in Royal Bank of Scotland.

The chancellor told MPs that that “we have to live in the real world”, as he indicated that the remaining shares could be sold below the 502p average price that was paid for them during 2008 and 2009 when £45bn of taxpayers’ money was pumped into the Edinburgh-based bank.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... chancellor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Multibillion-pound loss?
He can blame it on Brown overpaying. Instead of the economy performing badly because of Tory austerity.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

One unequivocally good and cheering thought.

Ukips will not win a seat, and will fall well below 10%.