Wednesday 19th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 19th April 2017

Post by PorFavor »

May says she is proud of her record on the NHS. (PMQs - Politics Live, Guardian)
Give me strength.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Can you answer two questions from assertions you have made (with no data)

Why Yvette Cooper is a plausible Labour leader and with whom?

Why is Theresa May a serious leader?

Cooper, from last night

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2017/04 ... 95004.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not quite sure where you think I have praised May for anything other than her political skill in springing this snap general election. As I said yesterday, she was a terrible Home Secretary, and is a Beta leader that any decent leader of the opposition would beat easily.
On the link.....and? Doesn't say anything about her being plausible outside the PLP....and nothing really new here except Waugh bugging up one of his mates

And you referred to May as a serious leader further up the page
Ah, I was referring to Blair. I hope that clears up any confusion. I confess it does read ambiguously.

But I do support the general point. If (bit IF) May does want a deal with the EU, then a serious opposition would help her to face down the nutjobs on the Tory right.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Osborne quits

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 18001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Corbyn says this year Philip Hammond said the deficit would be eliminated in 2022. He does admire Tory consistency. They always want to eliminate the deficit in five years time. How long will it be before debt comes down? (Politics Live, Guardian)
That's a good line.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I've had a while to consider this, and I genuinely think Theresa May is a monster.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

There are times when I think the money spent paying for the site would be better spent on something constructive.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Temulkar wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Not much to argue against here:

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/04 ... -great-lie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When real life feels like a history textbook, and a pretty basic one at that.
Another reason Corbyn could do the country a massive favour by standing aside for a more mainstream candidate. Why willingly play the role of patsy in her poisonous game?
Another day where some people carp on about their own party whilst the Tories literally get away with murder, or are you just running disruption for Theresa these days? If you cant support labour fine, admit you're voting for someone else, support them and present the arguments for their election, but this unending incessant droning whine about corbyn is fuck-knuckle boring.
I will just once break my rules of ignoring anything you post to point out responding to my posts is pointless if you yourself expect an answer.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Perhaps because you don't have an answer?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Perhaps because you don't have an answer?
Stop trolling. I note that you are currently hammering Hugo for answering a question you posted yourself.
Release the Guardvarks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

refitman wrote:There are times when I think the money spent paying for the site would be better spent on something constructive.
I think that really is fair enough.

When attempts were being made to widen readership, reaching out btl on the G and via Twitter, then the site was more constructive than now, I think. But I would certainly miss FTN if it were to be wound up. It has brought together some of my favourite posters from the G.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF have you sorted out your tobacco shortage problem?I can arrange next day delivery by my people if necessary.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Also arranging clog production,if anybody is interested,for the saboteurs among you.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Willow904 wrote:
refitman wrote:There are times when I think the money spent paying for the site would be better spent on something constructive.

When attempts were being made to widen readership, reaching out btl on the G and via Twitter, then the site was more constructive than now, I think. But I would certainly miss FTN if it were to be wound up. It has brought together some of my favourite posters from the G.
In the early days FTN was mentioned/plugged by Andrew Sparrow. It was a refreshing change from the shitstorm that was often going on BLT at the Graun. Very little camaraderie here nowadays.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Perhaps because you don't have an answer?
Stop trolling. I note that you are currently hammering Hugo for answering a question you posted yourself.
I am not trolling....just would like to see an answer as to why you always give the Tories the benefit of the doubt and what particular parts of the Tory 'menu' you are keen on?

Edited:

Also what makes you think May is a better PM than Corbyn would be....i think she is hopeless as she has demonstrated again today

You must think she has something good about her though as you attack Corbyn mercilessly
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Wed 19 Apr, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@TobyLatimer

Hello! Nice to hear from you.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It is indeed.I wave in his direction at 06.30ish in the mornings,whilst he is waiting for his care workers,its only a few miles away,I am sure with an appropriate telescope he can see.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

It is a choice between strength and unity with the Conservatives, and division and weakness with the SNP, she says.
Oh, I do love it when supergroups do a greatest hits tour. No Stills, Nash and Young, of course, but you can't have it all.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Please don't start on our volunteer mods. They're not obliged to try to police this increasingly strange locale and we would be lost without them.

On Hugo - I've stayed out of this mostly, but I would say that whether s/he intends it or not, the board often degenerates into unpleasantness when s/he's fanning the flames of discontent. On the other hand, I always like hearing from TE and Tubby just as much as I enjoyed hearing from Ephemerid and Toby. PF goes without saying - oil/troubled waters (she's the former). Tolerance is what the board intended.

I think, and have said this before, it would do everyone a favour if we proceeded as follows:

If YOU think someone is a troll (or whatever the appropriate term) do not engage with them and leave it at that.

This will reduce the troll-other poster arguments, while managing to avoid inadvertently banning someone who is simply a poor communicator, and avoid kicking someone off who other people like engaging with. If there was someone here one of us would like to see the back of (for whatever reason) but other people enjoyed chatting with them, how would that work?

(PS: don't be cross, am not trying to kick up a fuss here, just want things here to get/stay better).
Okay....will do
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well that is my vote cast.Unfortunately,they must be tightening up,only one,Tarquin is inconsolable.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

PorFavor wrote:@TobyLatimer

Hello PF, and thankyou :D
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I rarely post here these days and often don't read. The reason is that every day I know that 3 or 4 posters will dominate the board with their anti-Corbyn doginamangerism.
I also miss many of the old posters who were so knowledgable. There are still some good posters on here mind but the board is dominated by the PLP fans.
Apparently, so SH tells us, anyone who voted for Corbyn is a fool. Well of course they are: they disagree with SH who is ALWAYS right about EVERYTHING.
Bertrand Russell said:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Now we've lost AK and seem likely to lose refitman as well. Maybe the nuisances could pipe down a bit.
Just my thoughts like.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

In the Commons yesterday David Lidington, the leader of the Commons, told MPs that he expected to byelection to be cancelled. He said the acting returning officer had the discretion to do this.

But today Manchester’s acting returning officer Joanne Roney said she did not have the legal power to call the vote off. (Politics Live, Guardian)
They can't even get that right.

Edited to add -

Step forward, Lady Jane Grey.
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 19 Apr, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I will just once break my rules of ignoring anything you post to point out responding to my posts is pointless if you yourself expect an answer.
A reply telling me you won't reply is still a breath of fresh air, compared to the usual tedious whining circle jerk with Tubby and Hugo. Its like a bitterite production of the Three Amigos bitchin about El Guapo.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Viewing is the eye of the beholder,as they say.Responding or not is not forced.
As ever,I'm sick of "x" competes with "x" and mysteriously the mention of "x",ever dominates.
As I have just done,of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Toby sent a message by carrier pigeon,his name is Lenny,not the most reliable and should have retired a few years ago to be honest but likes to be helpful.May take a few days but hopefully should arrive in the next few days,unless he eats it.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I disagree with tubby and TE on many things, but am happy to see them here, because their posts are short and to the point and not all over the board, every day. The point of this board being to air different points of view, or I thought it was.

A N Other poster just goes on and on and on and on........... Like a mosquito buzzing round your ears.
I'm prepared to believe that those engaging with it have good intentions, but in practice they only encourage it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Actually I am bit miffed,despite strenuous efforts in at least getting a warning-I gave myself one recently in desperation,nothing.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Shall we have leadership debates after all?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 90986.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

522 Ayes 13 Noes. More than 100 abstentions.

The game's afoot.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:I disagree with tubby and TE on many things, but am happy to see them here, because their posts are short and to the point and not all over the board, every day. The point of this board being to air different points of view, or I thought it was.

A N Other poster just goes on and on and on and on........... Like a mosquito buzzing round your ears.
I'm prepared to believe that those engaging with it have good intentions, but in practice they only encourage it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:I disagree with tubby and TE on many things, but am happy to see them here, because their posts are short and to the point and not all over the board, every day. The point of this board being to air different points of view, or I thought it was.

Thanks, appreciate that. I respect you too, and agree with more of it than I give the impression of doing.

Having a rest from here, because I think I get too carried away with election fever. Will pop in though, I'm sure.

Hoping that Welsh Labour do a bit more on the Single Market- after a bad start, been a bit more promising. I will then probably vote for our leader, Carwyn Jones.

See you all soon, and really hope AK is back. And thanks to Dan for modding and Paul for constructive informal modding.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

If she is dragged to the leadership debates, she is finished. Im struck today but just how very weak she is, both as a leader and her political position. As the polls narrow - which they will - panic will set in with Theresa. A few charges being brought in teh election fraud, even if it's only Makinlay, and a hung Parliament really would not surprise me.

Corbyn isnt Milliband but May most certainly hasnt got Cameron's glib smarm. Caroline Lucas isn't Natalie Bennett either... :mrgreen:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Dear Stat-Xplore registered user,

We want to let you know about a new database that has been introduced to DWP's Stat-Xplore today. This new database is Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
ESA is an income replacement benefit for people below state pension with a health condition or disability.

The database holds (mis) information about people claiming ESA, including:
• Geographical breakdowns
• Ethnicity
• Medical condition
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Strictly confidential,apparently.

To the tower with me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:And let your shit go unchallenged....no!

If I block you then you will still be there with your concern troll posts

Who said you are a 'plant'.......that assumes you have been put here specifically to do a job

I just think you are a Tory troll/wum
Once I understood to the best of my knowledge what you're writing about the commentator was likely true, I declared it here on FlyTheNest, my friends supported me and I was free. It happened within moments. I'm uncertain the exact psychological mechanism liberating me from all my anger towards the commentator. I know who I am and I've little idea who the commentator is or the purpose of their commentary. And that's fine. It doesn't matter. I'll not move or motivate SpinningHugo. There's likely no meaningful exchange to be had there. I'm unbothered. Have your say out and be done, my friend. I ask your pardon if I've caused offence, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm offering you my own experience because your time and energy are precious.

Apologies to everyone for going off-topic, I'll write no more about it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
May says she is proud of her record on the NHS. (PMQs - Politics Live, Guardian)
Give me strength.
She's admitted her plans on the NHS. If we want a functional NHS, don't return a T May Tory government.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:

Hear hear
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Strictly confidential,apparently.

To the tower with me.
Why have the stat website if they're not going to let people see the data?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cja

I can exclusively reveal,according to my polls,Labour is winning by one vote,locally,subject to verification.As usual,apart from Labour,on the ball as ever here,I will receive bollox from other parties or hopefully visitations from their representatives,so the letter box shredder is primed and dependent on mood,either sing the red flag to dissuade further inquiry or listen patiently and politely but unequivocally state my position.I used to put a vote Labour poster,but the Tories here are of the particularly stupid brand and despite seeing this,still asked me as to which way I would be voting.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TobyLatimer wrote:
PorFavor wrote:@TobyLatimer

Hello PF, and thankyou :D
:heart:
Wonderful you're here!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am jesting.Just the usual e-mail thing "if not intended recipient."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well that's enough comradely nonsense.Bloody hard work it was too.You are all a shower of shits,non more so than me.Ban me you bastards.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frightful_oik wrote:I rarely post here these days and often don't read. The reason is that every day I know that 3 or 4 posters will dominate the board with their anti-Corbyn doginamangerism.
I also miss many of the old posters who were so knowledgable. There are still some good posters on here mind but the board is dominated by the PLP fans.
Apparently, so SH tells us, anyone who voted for Corbyn is a fool. Well of course they are: they disagree with SH who is ALWAYS right about EVERYTHING.
Bertrand Russell said:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Now we've lost AK and seem likely to lose refitman as well. Maybe the nuisances could pipe down a bit.
Just my thoughts like.
I'm still here :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am now officially my Aunt's Attorney,wonder if there is a badge or similar.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Well that's enough comradely nonsense.Bloody hard work it was too.You are all a shower of shits,non more so than me.
I'm sick and tired of your one-upmanship.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Or a hat,would do.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well fucking make a request to have me bloody banned,damn you all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Not happy about the NEC announcement that Labour members won't have any opportunity to select their own candidates for this GE.

Smells of a convenient Watson/McNicol stitch-up, I'm afraid.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"