Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd April 2017

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, I think Labour policy was not to select until after the proposed boundary changes were passed (or, possibly, not?)

And it would be surprising if other parties hadn't taken a similar line.

Which does also point to the "selections" referred to above just being people saying they would stand in the (seemingly unlikely) event of a snap election.
Which backs up my point that the Libdems have had nothing better to do than go around checking who would be willing to stand in the event of a snap election!

If Labour are only asking now, they have a little catching up to do, though obviously with considerably more MPs in place than the Libdems, they've less to do generally.

Meanwhile, I remain convinced that No 10 has been planning this "snap" election for some considerable time, which doesn't rule out potential election fraud prosecutions as a contributory factor, as they have been a potential issue for the Tories and their slim majority for some time.
Actually, I'm not sure about that at all. They only started to think about it in the last few months IMO, and May only finally made up her mind a week ago it appears.

(after a long walk with her husband is the spin, after seeing Erdogan's power grab in Turkey come off is a more cynical - but maybe more correct - version)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... green-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tories accused of stealing Labour's energy price cap promise
As I remember, Ed Miliband proposed a temporary price cap while the whole energy sector was reviewed with a view to large scale reform at the end of it in order to remove vertical selling and the dominance of the big 6 providers. Not really the same at all.

May seems to be proposing something for the energy sector which more reflects what we have for the water sector - no real consumer choice, little to no investments, huge profits for private providers and a regulator heavily leaned on by government to cap prices whenever it suits politically.

Still, albeit for all the wrong reasons, the media seem to hate the policy so :popcorn:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Does anyone here know when we'll get a reliable idea of the French results, please?

Edited - typo
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, I think Labour policy was not to select until after the proposed boundary changes were passed (or, possibly, not?)

And it would be surprising if other parties hadn't taken a similar line.

Which does also point to the "selections" referred to above just being people saying they would stand in the (seemingly unlikely) event of a snap election.
Which backs up my point that the Libdems have had nothing better to do than go around checking who would be willing to stand in the event of a snap election!

If Labour are only asking now, they have a little catching up to do, though obviously with considerably more MPs in place than the Libdems, they've less to do generally.

Meanwhile, I remain convinced that No 10 has been planning this "snap" election for some considerable time, which doesn't rule out potential election fraud prosecutions as a contributory factor, as they have been a potential issue for the Tories and their slim majority for some time.
Actually, I'm not sure about that at all. They only started to think about it in the last few months IMO, and May only finally made up her mind a week ago it appears.

(after a long walk with her husband is the spin, after seeing Erdogan's power grab in Turkey come off is a more cynical - but maybe more correct - version)
Very convenient to have got the invoking of article 50 out of the way first. And then there is the question of exactly why the invoking of article 50 had to happen in March, something she announced very early on with great certainty for no discernable reason. June is a Tory favourite for General Elections. It will have only a small impact on Brexit negotiations (provided May wins) with the civil service able to continue with preparations and France and Germany otherwise occupied with elections of their own. Of course I can't know it was planned, it just feels planned to me. Whether it will work for her, I have no idea, I just don't get the impression this is some kind of panic move or simple opportunism because of the polls, though good polling would always have been a necessary element to go ahead.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Regardless of who they are, this article suggests they were already officially selected for the next election in 2020 well before such selections would normally take place. On the back of Brexit referendum chaos, a reasonable pre-caution. And despite Tory protestations, the Guido Fawkes article suggests they have done at least some preliminary work on selections back in February. If Labour have likewise been preparing for an early election, and Corbyn has been telling us he has the party on a campaign footing since last year, they have been very quiet on the candidate selection front.
Hi Willow

Don't forget the proposed boundary changes! I'm not an expert on this, but our neighbouring constituency has a sitting Labour MP and was set to disappear. So what was to happen to her? Presumably she would have been a good candidate for one of the neighbouring constituencies?

Everyone seems to have forgotten about this issue.
Similar here, Paul, under boundary changes my constituency disappears, and the one that starts across my road. Both currently Labour, the latter has a certain well known motor mouthed MP, new intake, three guesses. Mine has an old school grumpy hardworking MP, . The changes will divide both constituencies down the middle creating two long thin new constituences with no common community interests, utterly crazy divide, mine will be called after an area nine tenths will never have heard of let alone been to.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I suspect the motormouth will 'want' my new constituency. :-( Thank goodness election being fought on the old.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PorFavor wrote:Does anyone here know when we'll get a reliable idea of the French results, please?

Edited - typo

"We expect to have exit polls from around 5pm BST, and an indication of the results around 7-8pm BST. It is expected that results will be confirmed by midnight BST"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Did I detect a tut and a rolling of the eyes, there?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ofco ... -appointed
News story
Ofcom Board Member appointed
"This appointment has been made by exception under the Cabinet Office’s Governance Code on Public Appointments. The appointments process is regulated by the Commissioner for Public Appointments. Nick Pollard was initially appointed to the Ofcom Board for an interim period of 6 months, from 14 November 2016. However, given the need for stability and continuity for Ofcom as it goes through a period of significant change and takes on additional responsibilities for regulating the BBC, the Secretary of State has decided to appoint Nick Pollard by exception for a period of 12 months to 13 May 2018."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
General election 2017: six battlegrounds that could shape the vote
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF
No on two basis
1.Just trying to be helpful
2.Certain words in your (second)question have a completely differing meaning to me,that I won't delve into

Titter ye not.
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 23 Apr, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
"This appointment has been made by exception under the Cabinet Office’s Governance Code on Public Appointments. The appointments process is regulated by the Commissioner for Public Appointments. Nick Pollard was initially appointed to the Ofcom Board for an interim period of 6 months, from 14 November 2016. However, given the need for stability and continuity for Ofcom as it goes through a period of significant change and takes on additional responsibilities for regulating the BBC, the Secretary of State has decided to appoint Nick Pollard by exception for a period of 12 months to 13 May 2018."
Ofcom is the communications regulator in the UK.
We regulate the TV, radio and video-on-demand sectors, fixed-line telecoms, mobiles and postal services, plus the airwaves over which wireless devices operate.
We make sure that people in the UK get the best from their communications services and are protected from scams and sharp practices, while ensuring that competition can thrive.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/what-is-ofcom
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:PF
No on two basis
1.Just trying to be helpful
2.Certain words in your (second)question have a completely differing meaning to me,that I won't delve in to

Titter ye not.

Ha! And - you're always helpful and it's much appreciated!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Only trying to get to 20,000 thanks,gold watch,pension,fucking retire and stop the pretence.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

CON: 48% (+2)
LAB: 26% (+1)
LDEM: 10% (-1)
UKIP: 8% (-)
GRN: 3% (-1)

(via ICM)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... green-says
Tories accused of stealing Labour's energy price cap promise
As I remember, Ed Miliband proposed a temporary price cap while the whole energy sector was reviewed with a view to large scale reform at the end of it in order to remove vertical selling and the dominance of the big 6 providers. Not really the same at all.

May seems to be proposing something for the energy sector which more reflects what we have for the water sector - no real consumer choice, little to no investments, huge profits for private providers and a regulator heavily leaned on by government to cap prices whenever it suits politically.

Still, albeit for all the wrong reasons, the media seem to hate the policy so :popcorn:
Water is a good candidate for renationalisation.

Price fixing is just dumb.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... heresa-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

W.Keegan
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -on-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Sailing close to the wind there.

Especially since "anti-Brexit Tories" now basically seems to amount to one K H Clarke and literally nobody else.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Especially since "anti-Brexit Tories" now basically seems to amount to one K H Clarke and literally nobody else.
Scab is the word, I believe, and it should be an expulsion offence. It won't be though, not a single word will be said by the NEC against St Tony. After Woodcoock, Kendall this morning, and some of the others i the media, the right are doing their best to give the left a 'stab in the back' to complain about.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

There's an article in Sunday Express, saying the election had been planned for some time

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... nouncement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory advisers are previously understood to have made plans for a snap election in the New Year, despite denials.
Yet an insider said Mrs May’s team had been “scouting candidates for inner city seats for weeks” and had conducted a secret poll in the East Midlands during recent by-elections to see how far ahead the party was in the polls
(But it's the express..)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Blair said: “I will vote Labour, I would always vote Labour, and there are many excellent Labour candidates throughout the country. But that’s not the point for me.
The point for me is, whether I’m Labour or I’m not Labour, even if there’s Conservatives or Liberal Democrats, I’ll work with anyone to get this argument across in the country.”
The headline for this article is inaccurate
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is the problematic bit.
Asked if the approach he was advocating could mean voting Lib Dem in a lot of cases, he said: “What I’m advocating may mean that. It may mean voting Labour. It may mean, by the way, that they vote Tory, for candidates who are prepared to give this commitment.”
But he can argue his way out of it easily enough. That he meant tactical vote for remain Tory v UKIP. He probably means remain Tory v Labour Brexiter too.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:There's an article in Sunday Express, saying the election had been planned for some time

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... nouncement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory advisers are previously understood to have made plans for a snap election in the New Year, despite denials.
Yet an insider said Mrs May’s team had been “scouting candidates for inner city seats for weeks” and had conducted a secret poll in the East Midlands during recent by-elections to see how far ahead the party was in the polls
(But it's the express..)
I'm slightly alarmed that I've been channelling the Express with my hunch the Tories have planning this "snap" election for a while. I most certainly didn't get the idea from there, I can assure you. ;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It looks pretty ill-prepared though. Staff resigning, the tax policy not being prepared for. The CPS possibly dropping bombshells.

I don't know. I find it persuasive they feared a change of Labour leader after local elections, as the FT suggested.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Scab is the word, I believe, and it should be an expulsion offence. It won't be though, not a single word will be said by the NEC against St Tony. After Woodcoock, Kendall this morning, and some of the others i the media, the right are doing their best to give the left a 'stab in the back' to complain about.
He has clearly given up on Labour as a vehicle for his kind of politics. He'd resign if it weren't for personal loyalties. Poor sod.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:There's an article in Sunday Express, saying the election had been planned for some time

(But it's the express..)
I'm slightly alarmed that I've been channelling the Express with my hunch the Tories have planning this "snap" election for a while. I most certainly didn't get the idea from there, I can assure you. ;)
So not a closet Rupert Bear addict then.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:It looks pretty ill-prepared though. Staff resigning, the tax policy not being prepared for. The CPS possibly dropping bombshells.

I don't know. I find it persuasive they feared a change of Labour leader after local elections, as the FT suggested.
If you wanted a "snap" election to be a genuine surprise and to wrong-foot the opposition, you would have to be very careful about who was in the know, thus limiting the potential for preparation in some areas, I would have thought. And some of the disarray around policy could just be Theresa May and Phillip Hammond being a bit rubbish. Who knows?!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

More importantly, lots of swing voters have likely given up on Labour. This happens when you tell people to "fuck off to the Tories". Some of them do that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I liked the Bank Holiday on St George's Day by the way. I've never been a huge fan on the May Day one, but I read something persuasive about how it does a job launching "the holiday season" in the UK. St George's Day would launch it earlier, and it tends be mild enough. If not sitting on beaches, then more active outdoorsy stuff would get a boost.

I don't know enough about the other saints days to comment.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Ofcom is the communications regulator in the UK.
We regulate the TV, radio and video-on-demand sectors, fixed-line telecoms, mobiles and postal services, plus the airwaves over which wireless devices operate.
We make sure that people in the UK get the best from their communications services and are protected from scams and sharp practices, while ensuring that competition can thrive.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/what-is-ofcom
Pollard sounds OK from his CV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Pollard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_tur ... _elections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obama aroused strong feelings, so turnout must have got a boost, right?

A bit in 2008, with the unpopularity of Bush too. Hard to see much effect in 2012.

Anybody telling you they're going to get a load of non-voters should be treated with caution. But this, apparently, has been a key part of Labour strategy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Pollard sounds OK from his CV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Pollard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good, sincerely, I'm glad.
I'm dubious of anything from Tory government issued sounding off about exceptional circumstances, needing stability in times of turmoil
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I liked the Bank Holiday on St George's Day by the way. I've never been a huge fan on the May Day one, but I read something persuasive about how it does a job launching "the holiday season" in the UK. St George's Day would launch it earlier, and it tends be mild enough. If not sitting on beaches, then more active outdoorsy stuff would get a boost.

Except St Andrew's day, which is 30th Nov, they're all together. So, with Easter and May Day and 3 saint's days, you're looking at a mammoth 6 bank holidays in a 2 month period. Which is a shame, because in theory it's good - extra time off for workers (presuming minimum holiday entitlement is stretched to accommodate them - if you're forced to take them as part of holiday it might not be so popular) and I particularly like the emphasis on bringing the 4 nations together. That was a nice touch.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

St David's day = 1st March

St Patrick's day = 17th March

St George's day = 23rd April

St Andrew's day = 30th November

For those interested.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

^^^

Some of us were in the Scouts y'know...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I liked the Bank Holiday on St George's Day by the way. I've never been a huge fan on the May Day one, but I read something persuasive about how it does a job launching "the holiday season" in the UK. St George's Day would launch it earlier, and it tends be mild enough. If not sitting on beaches, then more active outdoorsy stuff would get a boost.

Except St Andrew's day, which is 30th Nov, they're all together. So, with Easter and May Day and 3 saint's days, you're looking at a mammoth 6 bank holidays in a 2 month period. Which is a shame, because in theory it's good - extra time off for workers (presuming minimum holiday entitlement is stretched to accommodate them - if you're forced to take them as part of holiday it might not be so popular) and I particularly like the emphasis on bringing the 4 nations together. That was a nice touch.
Hang on, it's only 1 holiday in each country, surely? St George's Day isn't going to be a holiday in Scotland?

I might get rid of the first May holiday. Does "International Workers Day" have any real resonance?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:St David's day = 1st March

St Patrick's day = 17th March

St George's day = 23rd April

St Andrew's day = 30th November

For those interested.
Cheers. For my point about holidaying, only St George's really works.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Hang on, it's only 1 holiday in each country, surely? St George's Day isn't going to be a holiday in Scotland?

I might get rid of the first May holiday. Does "International Workers Day" have any real resonance?
No All in All I think ;-)

St Andrews Day is already a holiday in Scotland I believe.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Crikey. Did somebody not spot this problem?

Bank holidays are thought to have an economic cost too. We could have used some of the extra NI money Philip Hammond tried to get.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Crikey. Did somebody not spot this problem?
It would appear not.

And I thought it was Theresa May who had problems with dates . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

St Andrews Day is already a holiday in Scotland I believe.

Would the Scots want a day in lieue?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

My French politics guy tells me we'll know the name of the finalists in about 5 minutes.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Projected

Macron 23.7%
Le Pen 21.7%
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Melenchon and Fillon about 19.5% equal.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -s5r7trv6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Affordable housing pledges swept under mat
Developers have reneged on promises to build cheaper homes alongside those being sold at full market rates

Developers are quietly walking away from promises to build affordable homes, according to an investigation by campaigners.

They say council officials are “outgunned” by the financial and legal might of the developers who were granted permission for schemes on condition that affordable homes were included.

Some councils have given in to demands to change the pledges. In other cases, property companies have flouted legal agreements because they expect lax monitoring.

In four developments involving one group, London District Housing Association, council officials believe there was a deliberate and unlawful scheme to sell or rent affordable homes at full market rates. The housing association denies knowledge of any wrongdoing."
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

The Green party were considering a 3 day weekend.

http://www.cityam.com/262164/bank-holid ... ay-weekend" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe we should just make every saints day (when falling on a Monday) a bank holiday, it would get support from Labour, Greens & probably some Christians (although maybe not wholly compatible with the Protestant work ethic, and Catholics would probably want a rota so that all saints get a fair share of days)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not sure about PF's Day in the toilet suggestion,hard to administer.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We had tattie picking holidays,more tattie eating in my case.