Tuesday 25 April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 25 April 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Asked about a crisis in social care, May said: “We have been working on a long-term solution, we need to stop ducking the issue.” (Guardian)
Very careful use of words there. Note that she doesn't say, "We will stop ducking the issue."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'a long-term solution'?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Also wary of the educated/uneducated thing,older people perhaps didn't have the opportunity and doesn't say much as to level of being informed or not particularly about politics.Nominally my parents are lower educated in formal terms but take an interest and are well informed in that area.You can have a stream of letters after your name and know little outwith your interest.Some of the most astute conversations I have had have been with those with learning difficulties,cutting through bullshit perhaps caused by being educated/trained to analyse away from rather than towards.I am not saying simple or not,I am saying a way of thinking.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

They haven't ducked the issue,they've made it worse.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:T May said she wanted to, 'prevent tourism'
Talking of which...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39710127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gorilla man' still crawling London Marathon
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Suspicious looking donkey,to be fair.

The one on the left
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:They haven't ducked the issue,they've made it worse.
In terms of being in crisis, they have created it.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -migration
The UK should stay inside the EU’s single market and customs union even if this means there can only be limited cuts to immigration after Brexit, the former Labour leader, Ed Miliband, said.

Spelling out his own Brexit strategy, and insisting that tough choices must now be made, Miliband argued that safeguarding the strength of the economy should be the number one priority in negotiations over leaving the EU, rather than a focus on the “undeliverable promise” of cutting immigration to tens of thousands a year.
Just to underline that rejecting freedom of movement outright is a choice, a choice that Labour has made because it is being lead by Jeremy Corbyn, not because it was somehow inevitable.
It is a bonkers position to take, but I am not sure this is Corbyn. In fact Corbyn's position is in favour of leaving the EU, and in favour of free movement, which is at least distinctive.

This seems to be as much about a fear of ToryKip in Northern seats. McDonnell and the right of the party seem to be the leading advocates for ending free movement.

Smithson (although I am not sure he is to be trusted on this) shows the huge disconnect between Labour (pro leave) and its remaining voters (hugely pro remain).

Polling suggests jobs win out over immigration, but payments to the EU are hugely unpopular. I would have thought a Swiss type fudge on job priorities and EEA membership would be the most sensible approach.

How much Labour Brexit is Starmer versus the shadow cabinet consensus I am unsure of. The end result is a confusing mess, It might be better to just go full fat remain to try and align with the core vote. Labour are confusing voters here.

As is often the case Ed Miliband is right.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:T May said she wanted to, 'prevent tourism'
Talking of which...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, I nearly sprayed tea over the furniture, and breathing briefly became an issue.
Release the Guardvarks.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:'a long-term solution'?
Don't even joke. For some of us it seems to be here already.
I am thinking of disposing of net curtains altogether.
Not always a lack of income for many, you understand.
Care being far more than that. Especially their version.
It is a bigger issue than most people think.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

In non election news, one of the most inevitable corporate failures in airline history is finally happening (again).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... uring-plan

I had assumed they folded years ago (which they did), amazed they are still operating.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

seeingclearly wrote:
Arguably it is the biggest issue the country faces, especially as Brexit shrinks the economy. The idea of May solving it isn't comforting, but maybe this is a Nixon/China moment. It can only mean a return of the sensible (but derided and misnamed) death tax.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am being fair,certainly previous Governments could have done more but you are correct,when it looked like consensus they,as Roger alluded to threw their toys away bawling death tax.
In delaying tactics re Dilnott,in cuts to councils to which I would add benefits/allowances in particular specifically for the payment towards and facillitation of care in own home,we know how crucial the timely receivership and integral part they play,not least in discharge terms.All forseen and forewarned.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:
I wasn't joking.
It's disgraceful, the language T May is using.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you and wish you all a good night
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF:

"Night,night"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

The Guardian reporting a Labour agreement on free movement has been reached. In this case Corbyn and Abbott were holding out against ending it.

In fact DA wrote an article defending immigration in the G recently which I thought was easily the best thing she had ever done.

A clinical and forensic demolition of the anti immigrant narrative. Not sure it helps in the election, but given how often I slate her I feel the need to say bloody well done.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The beauty of this is that the PAC is Tory-controlled...oh dear, Toby Young, what to do?

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm sure you could offer a few suggestions.....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:I'm sure you could offer a few suggestions.....
Oh yes.

How about "I should resign from my job of being the CEO of what is supposed to be a politically neutral charity owing to the fact that I'm a Tory cheerleader"?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Now up,with a couple of other reports

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... lications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Right, time I was off - school tomorrow morning...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The Public Accounts Committee report, Local support for people with a learning disability, says greater focus is needed on measuring outcomes and improvements to quality of life.
Money must follow patients to pay for support in the community

"However, more needs to be done to address known barriers: money is not moving with the patient to pay for support in the community, too many people are not having care and treatment reviews and the uncertainty caused by the proposed changes to local housing allowance risks hampering the provision of accommodation in the community."

I know I keep banging on about it ie social security/care impacts.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good night Roger.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:The Public Accounts Committee report, Local support for people with a learning disability, says greater focus is needed on measuring outcomes and improvements to quality of life.
Money must follow patients to pay for support in the community

"However, more needs to be done to address known barriers: money is not moving with the patient to pay for support in the community, too many people are not having care and treatment reviews and the uncertainty caused by the proposed changes to local housing allowance risks hampering the provision of accommodation in the community."

I know I keep banging on about it ie social security/care impacts.
Learning disability. This is a wide category of people. Includes those with clinical disability, dxed via medical route, plus educational disability, diagnosed through education psychologist plus schools MO, often supported through primary, secondary and tertiary ed., and dropped from a great height when ed is completed at latter 2 levels. The first group to some degree almost always stays within the system, the second, which was growing anyway as more were educated mainstream very few even have mention on doctors notes, or anywhere. Another area far more complex than government recognises.

A term like 'known barriers' for instance. People who never had care in the first place and for whom treatment was an irrelevence, now up shit creek. The older the worse for both categories. Ex-colleagues firefighting for last ten years in care settings, education, day centres etc., have seen facilities and expertise vanishing before their eyes, now they too are gone and their overview and liaison role, and at council level the departments reduced to non-experienced admin only, who pass on info to unregulated private providers who only really deal with the worst and most visible cases. Thus very like the elder care situation, but a vast number of hidden need, too. In fact currently the government themselves are the biggest 'known barrier'. For those with obvious barriers, multiple disability, sensory, learning, physical, support shrinking, but less easy for govt. and councils to justify removal of all types of support. The rest forget it. The vision of what is disabling now viewed for adults almost entirely in terms of work capability, and completely uninformed, if not to say dysfunctional. All the people who used to connect the dots for these groups dispersed and services gone. The people are there, they just have no route to re-engage with the people they served. Just saw the demise of one such department, 25 years of work negated virtually overnight, though of course writing was on the wall load and clear. Beyond depressing. In education the same.

I go back to the early days of this destruction, and still bang on about welfare reform and H&SC act, which were the tools of this destruction, everything forseeable then, and no impact assessments ever done. So even in parliament the expertise, knowledge etc never arrived even to PAC. As I say, DPOs firefighting today, huge issues, and like all who have to lobby in the court of westminster, waving report after report, being largely ignored, fobbed off, derided, or even in some cases bought off and strategically rendered dumb. It has all been shocking to watch. Of course Austerity has been the magic tool that has helped turn off support, care, empowerment, infrastructure at all levels. And fan flames of ignorance now institutionalised, and at loose in wider society who thing bootstraps etc. will do the trick.

(I often wonder about the many resilient, funny, likeable, engaged and optimistic, but very vulnerable groups and individual people I worked with. It wasn't gret under Labour but nothing at all like now. The older such individual are, the further from childhood the worse their position. Simply put, a lot of it doesn't bear thinking about for too long. In a wider sense, the whole nation loses out as emoathy, compassion, awareness take monumental hits. And then there are dinimished lives, and not even the mental health services to help pick up the pieces. )