Thursday 27th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 27th April 2017

Post by HindleA »

Bit deceptive/misleading Scottish Government only have powers over PIP not ESA.(think,from my understanding,sit to be corrected)
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 27 Apr, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I've just finished reading Richard Evans Third Reich trilogy and therefore have been seeing absolutely everything through the prism of the 30s and early 40s but even after reading that I find May's response to Merkel today astonishing. We've caused this problem, all of the other EU countries are obviously sorting out how to promote and defend their interests in response to our actions, and this becomes 'they're working against us, we need to be strong'. Driveling lunacy.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

What got me was her disingenuous plea for people to "lend" her their votes. That's more common as a line used by LibDems in byelections.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yeah
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Drivelling lunacy indeed.
I recall being concerned when I realised that May was the least worst option (Leadsom/Gove/Johnson etc).
Not sure now whether she actually is. But if she isn't (the least worst) who is?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:we are one dumb nation
Don't forget the US, next to the US the UK isn't so bad
Citizenship in both is over-rated
I'm working on my German and Spanish
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

adam wrote:I've just finished reading Richard Evans Third Reich trilogy and therefore have been seeing absolutely everything through the prism of the 30s and early 40s but even after reading that I find May's response to Merkel today astonishing. We've caused this problem, all of the other EU countries are obviously sorting out how to promote and defend their interests in response to our actions, and this becomes 'they're working against us, we need to be strong'. Driveling lunacy.
Any decent interviewer would ask "What did you expect - them to simply roll over and give you everything you want?"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It seems that Nuttall is actually going for Boston & Skegness. Interesting.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:Bit deceptive/misleading Scottish Government only have powers over PIP not ESA.(think,from my understanding,sit to be corrected)
At the moment [July last year] the Scottish government has limited powers over welfare. They are:
the Scottish Welfare Fund, which includes crisis and community care payments. These allow ministers to make small payments to alleviate short-term needs - or to provide goods such as washing machines and cookers to people who need to establish themselves in a home because, for example, they are fleeing domestic abuse or leaving prison.
council tax reduction.
discretionary housing payments. These have been used to reduce the effects of the so-called "bedroom tax" although they were not specifically designed for this.
The details are here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-36787828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-38601944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

"Meet real voters? The very idea!"

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It seems that Nuttall is actually going for Boston & Skegness. Interesting.
UKIP came second here last time - not that far behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_and_Skegness_(UK_Parliament_constituency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)#Elections_in_the_2010s
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I know, it was actually one of the handful of seats I expected them to win.

Scouser Paul isn't exactly a local lad though, is he?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cheers Eric
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Nope. And he couldn't even win in the seat where he grew up.

Funny how "parachuting candidates in" only seems to apply to other parties...
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I know, it was actually one of the handful of seats I expected them to win.

Scouser Paul isn't exactly a local lad though, is he?
He's probably bought/buying a house there - but doesn't live in it yet... or does he... ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The 2016-17 Parliamentary session has been brought to a close with a 'prorogation' announcement on Thursday 27 April 2017. Parliament will be dissolved on Wednesday 3 May for the 2017 General Election on 8 June.

New legislation
The following Bills received Royal Assent on Thursday 27 April 2017:

Broadcasting (Radio Multiplex Services) Bill
Bus Services Bill
Children and Social Work Bill
Criminal Finances Bill
Digital Economy Bill
Farriers (Registration) Bill
Faversham Oyster Fishery Company Bill
Finance (No. 2) Bill
Guardianship (Missing Persons) Bill
Health Service Medical Supplies (Costs) Bill
Higher Education and Research Bill
Homelessness Reduction Bill
Intellectual Property (Unjustified Threats) Bill
Local Audit (Public Access to Documents) Bill
Merchant Shipping (Homosexual Conduct) Bill
National Citizen Service Bill
Neighbourhood Planning Bill
Northern Ireland (Ministerial Appointments and Regional Rates) Bill
Parking Places (Variation of Charges) Bill
Pension Schemes Bill
Preventing and Combating Violence Against Women and Domestic Violence (Ratification of Convention) Bill
Technical and Further Education Bill

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news ... arliament/
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... a-may-told" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS needs £25bn in emergency cash, Theresa May told
Group representing NHS trusts demands end to austerity funding, warning quality of care will suffer without extra funding
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

citizenJA wrote:
The 2016-17 Parliamentary session has been brought to a close with a 'prorogation' announcement on Thursday 27 April 2017. Parliament will be dissolved on Wednesday 3 May for the 2017 General Election on 8 June.

New legislation
The following Bills received Royal Assent on Thursday 27 April 2017:

Broadcasting (Radio Multiplex Services) Bill
Bus Services Bill
Children and Social Work Bill
Criminal Finances Bill
Digital Economy Bill
Farriers (Registration) Bill
Faversham Oyster Fishery Company Bill
Finance (No. 2) Bill
Guardianship (Missing Persons) Bill
Health Service Medical Supplies (Costs) Bill
Higher Education and Research Bill
Homelessness Reduction Bill
Intellectual Property (Unjustified Threats) Bill
Local Audit (Public Access to Documents) Bill
Merchant Shipping (Homosexual Conduct) Bill
National Citizen Service Bill
Neighbourhood Planning Bill
Northern Ireland (Ministerial Appointments and Regional Rates) Bill
Parking Places (Variation of Charges) Bill
Pension Schemes Bill
Preventing and Combating Violence Against Women and Domestic Violence (Ratification of Convention) Bill
Technical and Further Education Bill

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news ... arliament/
Whereas the Scottish Parliament hasn't passed a bill (other than a budget) for a year:
The only legislation brought through by the nationalist government in the last twelve months has been the Budget, which they are legally required to bring forward.
http://labourlist.org/2017/03/holyrood- ... ependence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2017/04/the-t ... unleashed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More on Carmichael judgement made today
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Utterly unsurprisingly, the DWP have announced their intention to go to the court of appeal on the same day the UT decision was released. Faced with this, I would have expected them to.

The DWP might have thought they were seeking to close off one form of FTT decision rejecting bedroom tax decisions, but the result has been an Upper Tribunal decision opening up a whole fresh set of powers for the FTT, not just on the bedroom tax but across a whole range of benefit related secondary legislation.

Where a tribunal finds that the operation of such secondary legislation results in a breach of human rights, it can disapply or ‘not give effect’ to the relevant part of those regulations so as to avoid the breach.

This, surely, is a horrible prospect for the DWP…

Whether this decision will survive a trip to the Court of Appeal (or indeed beyond) we will have to see. For now, at least, the FTT (SS&CS) has this power.

And though this will thankfully no longer affect them personally, in this decision or in any further appeal, the Carmichaels’ courage and determination has now resulted in not one but two important decisions."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... tion-polls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schools are in jeopardy': teachers renew funding plea in run-up to polls
Headteachers say budgets must be top of election agenda amid fears that cash woes could destabilise entire education system
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -for-north" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"European leaders may be preparing to recognise a united Ireland, in a declaration that would pave the way for the north to swiftly rejoin the European Union. At their first Brexit summit on Saturday, the EU’s 27 leaders are expected to discuss a text stating that if Ireland unified, the north would automatically become part of the EU.
"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
adam wrote:I've just finished reading Richard Evans Third Reich trilogy and therefore have been seeing absolutely everything through the prism of the 30s and early 40s but even after reading that I find May's response to Merkel today astonishing. We've caused this problem, all of the other EU countries are obviously sorting out how to promote and defend their interests in response to our actions, and this becomes 'they're working against us, we need to be strong'. Driveling lunacy.
Any decent interviewer would ask "What did you expect - them to simply roll over and give you everything you want?"
Indeed.
In fact am not sure this even requires an actual interview. Any half canny 10-year-old would have managed to muster the point.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -for-north
"European leaders may be preparing to recognise a united Ireland, in a declaration that would pave the way for the north to swiftly rejoin the European Union. At their first Brexit summit on Saturday, the EU’s 27 leaders are expected to discuss a text stating that if Ireland unified, the north would automatically become part of the EU.
"

But as Cameron reassures us, his Brexit referendum swiftly removed all the poison from British politics.

I don't think I need to mention my posterior.