Friday 28th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 28th April 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 28th April 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

hello
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 06681.html
Wilbur Ross cited the upcoming general election and negotiations between the UK and Europe as complicating factors that made establishing a deal between Britain and the US a low priority.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04131.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Obviously I regret the personal consequences for me”, he said “I loved being prime minister. I thought I was doing a reasonable job.

“But I think it was the right thing. The lack of a referendum was poisoning British politics and so I put that right.”
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39711137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Cancer Drugs Fund in England was a "huge waste of money" and may have caused patients to suffer unnecessarily from the side effects of the drugs, according to UK researchers.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

“I loved my previous life. I had so many things going. This is more work than in my previous life.
I thought it would be easier. You’re really into your own little cocoon, because you have such
massive protection that you really can’t go anywhere. I like to drive. I can’t drive any more.”

- Donald Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... highlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good, he's kept cocooned.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning.
Tom Freeman‏ @SnoozeInBrief 6m6 minutes ago
More
Hello. I would like to ruin your day by pointing out that "Strong and stable leadership" fits the tune of "All things bright and beautiful".
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I meant to ask -

Is everyone feeling strong and stable, today?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

Did we do this at all?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. And to recall that Howard's "thinking what we're thinking" seemed bad enough in 2005...

But Corbyn is "far left" or "hard left" and May on the "centre ground".
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning.
Tom Freeman‏ @SnoozeInBrief 6m6 minutes ago
More
Hello. I would like to ruin your day by pointing out that "Strong and stable leadership" fits the tune of "All things bright and beautiful".
:D

I'll see your "All things bright and beautiful" and raise you "Brightest and best (of the stars of the morning)".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

No one repeats, 'strong and stable', when they're strong and stable
Tory government is dysfunctional and erratic
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdom ... ntomar2017
UK gross domestic product (GDP) was estimated to have increased by 0.3% in Quarter 1 (Jan to Mar)
2017, the slowest rate of growth since Quarter 1 2016.

Slower growth in Quarter 1 2017 was mainly due to services, which grew by 0.3% compared with growth of
0.8% in Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2016.

In Quarter 1 2017 there were falls in several important consumer-focused industries, such as retail sales
and accommodation; this was due in part to prices increasing more than spending.

Production, construction and agriculture grew by 0.3%, 0.2% and 0.3% respectively in Quarter 1 2017.
GDP per head was estimated to have increased by 0.1% during Quarter 1 2017.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK GROWTH SLOWS

Breaking! Britain’s economic growth slowed sharply in the first three months of this year.

UK GDP expanded by just 0.3% in January to March, the Office for National Statistics says.

That’s down from 0.7% in the final three months of 2016, and the slowest reading since the first three months of last year. (Guardian, Business Live)
Don't tell me, let me guess - it was "unexpected".

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... iness-live
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Snap!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ie-at-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thousands of cancer patients denied wish to die at home
For 38% of UK patients, life ends on a ward despite only 1% preferring that to staying at home, finds Macmillan charity
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

From Business Live (Guardian) comes this rather wonderful quote, though -
Robert F. Kennedy gave the definitive explanation of GDP’s flaws almost half a century ago, in a famous speech:

It counts special locks for our doors and the jails for the people who break them. It counts the destruction of the redwood and the loss of our natural wonder in chaotic sprawl.

It counts napalm and counts nuclear warheads and armored cars for the police to fight the riots in our cities. It counts Whitman’s rifle and Speck’s knife, and the television programs which glorify violence in order to sell toys to our children.

Yet the gross national product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education or the joy of their play. It does not include the beauty of our poetry or the strength of our marriages, the intelligence of our public debate or the integrity of our public officials.

It measures neither our wit nor our courage, neither our wisdom nor our learning, neither our compassion nor our devotion to our country, it measures everything in short, except that which makes life worthwhile.

And it can tell us everything about America except why we are proud that we are Americans.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:

Don't tell me, let me guess - it was "unexpected".
Looking at the Office for Budget responsibility forecasts, back in November they forecast growth for Q1 2017 as 0.3% but by the Budget they'd upped it to 0.6%.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Here's the OBR quarterly GDP growth forecast. You can see why they thought they should up the Q1 figure given the previous two quarters.

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ooh, excellent! Boris's folly bites the dust.

Garden bridge across Thames scrapped by Sadiq Khan

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... han-london
The mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has finally pulled the plug on the controversial plan for a garden bridge across the Thames, announcing that he would not provide the vital financial guarantees needed for construction to begin.

In a letter to the Garden Bridge Trust, the charity leading the much-delayed project, Khan said he was taking the decision because of a continuing shortfall in fundraising for the scheme, and a lack of the necessary land use agreements despite three years of talks.

The news marks the end to the long-running saga of the bridge’s proposed construction, which was championed by Joanna Lumley, Boris Johnson and George Osborne and drew anger from critics who saw it as a symbolic indulgence.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Incidentally, there was some talk of Boris himself biting the dust after the election.

Decent theory - May gets a commanding majority and finds that she doesn't need to appease the Brexiteers any longer and can get someone to do the job who is capable of behaving himself in public. And ditto for competence for the other two.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... hed-16-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Problems of homelessness and affordability likely to persist for years

PAC report
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

citizenJA wrote:No one repeats, 'strong and stable', when they're strong and stable
Tory government is dysfunctional and erratic
Bit tight, but "dysfunctional and erratic" fits 'land of hope and glory'

Edited to add the missing words(sure they were there, last time i looked)
Last edited by tinybgoat on Fri 28 Apr, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Walter Pidgeon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

A genuinely excellent decision from Khan there.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

From last night -

tinyclanger2 wrote:

am trying to undergo transition to glass half full persona.

couldn't have picked a trickier time to pull it off.

adam wrote, in response:

There's no glass.

Just about sums up how I feel.

Edited - typo
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Northampton Town loan: MP David Mackintosh to stand down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-39740178
An MP facing deselection after being criticised over his role in a loan to a football club will not stand for re-election.

David Mackintosh, Conservative MP for Northampton South, announced his decision ahead of a local party meeting where his candidacy was expected to be opposed.

The BBC reported millions of pounds of public money loaned to Northampton Town FC appeared to have vanished.

The MP has denied any wrongdoing.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Happy #EdBalls Day to all :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:Happy #EdBalls Day to all :D
Yes!
:rock:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Joke party, aka Ukip, launch their election campaign yet Nuttall refuses to declare which seat he intends to challenge, telling journalists they need to await an announcement tomorrow.

Hope not Hate deserve congratulations on successfully interrupting the show though :clap:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

We were told it was Boston/Skegness last night :?:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:We were told it was Boston/Skegness last night :?:
AS blog:
Here’s Paul Nuttall on the Today programme confirming that he will stand. But:
I’m not going to say where I’m going to stand today.

It’s my duty to lead the party into battle. It’s an election that none of us foresaw, but it’s an election on our turf.
He says he’ll announce tomorrow where he’ll stand, and that the local party in the mysterious seat already knows.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Interesting Scotland poll by Yougov, albeit not good for Labour.

Headline numbers: SNP 41%, Con 28, Lab 18 but according to the Times, these seats would change hands
Attachments
Yougov.jpg
Yougov.jpg (89.06 KiB) Viewed 13855 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The prime minister spoke to around 150 cheering Tory activists gathered at Shine (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
I initially misread that as "the Shrine". It seems that I'm getting more weak and wobbly (as distinct from strong and stable) by the second.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:We were told it was Boston/Skegness last night :?:
AS blog:
Here’s Paul Nuttall on the Today programme confirming that he will stand. But:
I’m not going to say where I’m going to stand today.

It’s my duty to lead the party into battle. It’s an election that none of us foresaw, but it’s an election on our turf.
He says he’ll announce tomorrow where he’ll stand, and that the local party in the mysterious seat already knows.

Oh, God. Now he thinks he's Boadicea (other spellings are available).
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... ve-deluded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'we chose to do this to ourselves, we chose "Brexit", chose economic adversity, we were warned and we voted for it...'

I'm uncomfortable reading this sentiment over and over again from people. Even the 17.4m people voting for the UK to leave the EU didn't choose how Tory government handled the referendum and continue handling the result of that vote.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Oh, God. Now he thinks he's Boadicea (other spellings are available).
She raised some hell before her army got clobbered, true. Hopefully, Nuttall's recent defeat is the end for him, too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Oh, God. Now he thinks he's Boadicea (other spellings are available).
She raised some hell before her army got clobbered, true. Hopefully, Nuttall's recent defeat is the end for him, too.
He will at least have the consolation of knowing that the Conservatives will carry on with Ukip's mission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

That being said, please, everyone, vote Tory government out. T May's belligerence towards the UK's closest trading partners is alarming.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Half the US population eligible for a vote in the last US Presidential election didn't turn out. Foolish, foolish, not to vote.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
He will at least have the consolation of knowing that the Conservatives will carry on with Ukip's mission.
Rome fell. Collapsing civilisations aren't strong or stable.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Hi all

Musings on this election thingy

Don't really understand why so much shit is thrown at Labour and the current leadership to be honest

If we look at reality Labour has always been for trying to improve things and bringing equality of opportunity where possible. This was under Foot, Blair and Corbyn and the others

It is why I have always voted Labour as I have never felt that the Tories have ever had my interests at heart
Yes Labour has made mistakes and lost focus but at heart it is better

If we look at the future after June 8 the Labour aspirations are so much better. Better pay for NHS staff, better treatment of those less fortunate, removal of free schools, carers being valued, investment bank, tuition fee removal, education reform, housebuilding etc

All are much better than what the Tories will aspire too - tax cuts, privatization, grammar schools etc

The thing that is always thrown back is 'where is the money' but to me that is a trite and unfair question. Of course Labour's ideas will cost some money but is it their fault we don't have enough? Should that change their aspiration and priority?

Why do we not have enough money for these things?

Well we can go back to the last Labour Government and their lax controls on lending and paying for unnecessary wars. Also their love of the private sector (I am convinced there has been a massive transfer of public money to the private sector but it is hidden under commercial confidentiality. The Free Schools debacle is an example). In saying that though the Blair and Brown governments did appreciate the need to follow the principles above and made much progress

Since 2010 we have had the counterproductive austerity of Osborne, the QE program, the massive devaluation of the pound (started under Brown.....since 2006 value of £ has halved against Swiss Franc 2.6->1.3) and then brexit

But Labour 2017 is the 'incompetent' party

So where does money come from....perhaps tax reform so to actually get people to accept paying tax is a benefit. Inheritance and asset taxation......look at the massive wealth increases that have essentially been tax free....apparently 400bn of assets will be transferred down with virtuallyvno tax being paid! Borrow to invest as well......why only banks and asset holders benefit from cheap money although may be difficult with inflation on the rise. Reverse corporation tax cut. Get rid of Trident

I have seen much more positive aspiration to heal the wounds from Labour than elsewhere. Of course it is aspirational and not easy to find thanks to the fuck ups made by the Tories but surely any money we do have should go into the areas put forward by Labour rather than the failed neolib policies the Tories will favour or their white elephant projects such as Trident

It is a bit like Brexit......a Tory fuck up but Labour's response will always be fairer because....well, the Tories never care do they?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

As an addendum to the last post

We know the economy is in a very parlous state (although you wouldn't know reading the media) and it is likely to be under pressure - oh, and that is thanks ti the TORIES not Jeremy Corbyn remember

In the end it will be very difficult for any party to keep the economy on the rails with brexit on the horizon

Whatever people on here may think I am convinced that a Labour Government would negotiate a much better deal for the UK than the Tories with the EU, would try to spend money on things that improve our societal well being and try to address some of the clear problems with how our economy is taxed and set up.

In comparison I am convinced the Tory Brexit will be harsher and more damaging. That they will continue to make the poor pay for their mistakes and continue to promote 'trickle down' and reduced taxes as the way forward The continued wasting of money with unwise and ideologically driven privatisation and the wasting of money on pet projects such as Free schools, grammar schools and Trident (although the PLP seem to like this as well for some unknown reason). Probably also a few more unnecessary wars thrown in

So my overall simplistic assumption is that the economy is in dire straits and may be impossible to work through but I am sure the Tories are going to fuck it up in an unfair and vile way - I don't see any indication they will make things work. I hope Labour will turn it around but when if they fuck it up as well, at least they will have tried to make things better and perhaps have some successes to show!

Vote against the Tories......it is critical.....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I saw this yesterday, but I don't think it's been done over here. So, when it caught my eye again today, I had to mention it.
Anger as Tate asks staff to contribute towards boat for Nicholas Serota

Notices about ‘leaving gift’ appear in staff rooms amid disputes over low pay and outsourcing, and end of canteen discount (Guardian)
Would you credit it?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... las-serota
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I saw this yesterday, but I don't think it's been done over here. So, when it caught my eye again today, I had to mention it.
Anger as Tate asks staff to contribute towards boat for Nicholas Serota

Notices about ‘leaving gift’ appear in staff rooms amid disputes over low pay and outsourcing, and end of canteen discount (Guardian)
Would you credit it?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... las-serota
In The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists, the children of the workers are dunned for money in order to finance the rest cure holiday of a local dignitary.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Headteacher and deputy send resignation letter to parents

A couple working as headteacher and deputy head at a Hampshire primary school rated as outstanding have written to parents saying they are quitting because they are so disillusioned by the direction of education policy.

In their letter, Alex and Peter Foggo said they were so profoundly opposed to recent changes in England’s schools that the only morally honest course open to them was to resign from their jobs at Longparish primary school. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -hampshire
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Some things don't seem to change. The workers were convinced workers from other countries were their enemies, not their comrades. That's still a lie because all people trading their time and labour for the means to live are one. Those with 'independent' fortunes are one with everyone, too. Sometimes it's forgotten. Everything anyone has is held with the consent of others or held by force. Force is wasteful for everyone and everything. Keeping property through cooperative civilisation is preferable.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Instead space bollocks of using hand to type I am dictating this . Submit bollocks never thought of that
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Instead space bollocks of using hand to type I am dictating this . Submit bollocks never thought of that
'submit_bollocks'
a troll username