Tuesday 9th May 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 9th May 2017

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 26506.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
During a visit to a factory in Leeds, the Prime Minister said: "This is a situation on which individuals will have one view or the other, either pro or against.

"As it happens, personally I have always been in favour of fox hunting, torturing, terrifying and murdering living, sentient creatures and we maintain our commitment, we have had a commitment previously as a Conservative Party, to allow a free vote.
Give her a mandate for Brexit so she can torture wildlife. Odious loathsome piece of scum.

She'll need a great big majority to do that

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... opposition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as a vegetarian animal lover, my views can be guessed.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Girls would be provided with free sanitary products in schools under a Liberal Democrat initiative that the party has said would end the hidden problem of “period poverty” – where teenagers miss school because they cannot afford pads or tampons.
This election is just getting weirder and weirder. I'm not knocking the policy or anything, you understand, just the strange specificness of it. Normally it would be reversing child tax credit cuts or more funding for pastoral care in schools or something, surely. It was the same with free hospital parking. I mean, what about the massive NHS funding gap? Isn't it normal to talk about that first and maybe get around to parking if there's time? Again, not knocking the individual policy, just making a general observation that so far there seem to be a lot of small, specific policies coming out for this election, including the Tories with their so-not-a-priority vote on hunting. I think I'm just getting really impatient to see these manifestos, though when it comes to detail I suspect the Tory one may disappoint me. I fear May is looking for more of a blank cheque than a mandate.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Is it any wonder that politicians get hacked when even Microsoft can make a fundamental screw up like this.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/09 ... rity_hole/

If you run Windows make sure your automatic updates are running (now they have finally stopped trying to install Windows 10 on the unwary).

I fear the IT industry has fundamentally screwed everything up, and I worry about vulnerable non tech aware people who are online. Scammers paradise.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... opposition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fuckers going to get a big majority. Probably bigger than 83 and 97.

Lets not be sentimental, Foxes need to be controlled but tearing them to bits with dogs is not the way to do it.

It isn't like the hunt are particularly well liked amongst many in the farming community. Bloody hazard if you own a horse or sheep.
Release the Guardvarks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Lets not be sentimental, Foxes need to be controlled but tearing them to bits with dogs is not the way to do it.

It isn't like the hunt are particularly well liked amongst many in the farming community. Bloody hazard if you own a horse or sheep.
Yes.

I suppose there is a certain amount of anti-rich posturing and hypocrisy about it too.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Willow904 wrote:
Girls would be provided with free sanitary products in schools under a Liberal Democrat initiative that the party has said would end the hidden problem of “period poverty” – where teenagers miss school because they cannot afford pads or tampons.
This election is just getting weirder and weirder. I'm not knocking the policy or anything, you understand, just the strange specificness of it. Normally it would be reversing child tax credit cuts or more funding for pastoral care in schools or something, surely. It was the same with free hospital parking. I mean, what about the massive NHS funding gap? Isn't it normal to talk about that first and maybe get around to parking if there's time? Again, not knocking the individual policy, just making a general observation that so far there seem to be a lot of small, specific policies coming out for this election, including the Tories with their so-not-a-priority vote on hunting. I think I'm just getting really impatient to see these manifestos, though when it comes to detail I suspect the Tory one may disappoint me. I fear May is looking for more of a blank cheque than a mandate.
You get this weird "retail offer" mode of politics. Normally however you also have a broad vision. May doesn't have anything of substance, and Corbyn just isn't seen as a credible leader so nobody is paying attention.

So we are left with vague soundbites and oddly specific policy detail. Meanwhile Joe Public is voting Tory so they can sort out the mess made by erm 7 years of Tory government.

May on free movement yesterday was classic. She criticises Corbyn for not ending free movement and then says, Free movement will not continue as before.

Which implys to me it will continue.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Yes.

I suppose there is a certain amount of anti-rich posturing and hypocrisy about it too.

It is more they trash everybody's land in the pointless pursuit of the fox and they are usually the big landowners that everybody is in some way or another beholden to. Even if somebody wants to complain they are too scared.
Release the Guardvarks.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Willow904 wrote:
I assume it works on the assumption that most voters don't see, or don't get worked up about 'big picture' politics, but do get annoyed by little things that impact them, like both of the examples above. A sort of Maslows hierarchy for politics.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May will face a battle within her own party as well as with the energy companies if she decides to go ahead with a cap on gas and electricity prices.

A number of Tory MPs favouring free market policies, including some at senior ministerial level, feel the plan is far too interventionist for a Conservative government, and are aiming to water down the proposal in the next parliament. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... lectricity

What a surprise. However - pass it on. Loudly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you & need to get some sleep now.
Have a good night, everyone.
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night. I don't think I'll be far behind you!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(one of many) bugbears

Caring as a womans' issue.
43% are male
Less likely to identify as such
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eremy-hunt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour expels three members over attempt to unseat Jeremy Hunt
Kate Townsend, Steve Williams and Robert Park ousted over cross-party alliance bid to unseat Hunt and replace him with a GP
Am reasonably ignorant, but this seems both counteproductive and wrong.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

And compare:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 24276.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Election 2017: Senior Lib Dems calling for 'paper candidates' in certain seats to help Labour defeat Conservatives
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Robert Preston

CPS to announce tmrw whether any Tory will be prosecuted for breaching election spending rules in 2015, I have learned
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eremy-hunt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour expels three members over attempt to unseat Jeremy Hunt
Kate Townsend, Steve Williams and Robert Park ousted over cross-party alliance bid to unseat Hunt and replace him with a GP
Am reasonably ignorant, but this seems both counteproductive and wrong.
Hi

It is a clear breach of the party rulebook as they were effectively supporting another candidate

I agree though it doesn't come over well, especially if you look at the headline in the Guardian

Incompetent though some of you think Corbyn is, you have to say that this is matched, personally I think surpassed by the shambles that is McNichol and the NEC. The 'Ed Stone' leading to a fine, the multiple expulsions and apparent war against members and now we see today in Walton and in Surrey cases of poor decision making, or at least communication

These three had to be expelled based on the expulsion and suspension of multiple members for expressing opinions on social media about other parties, let alone actively supporting them

The Walton incident also shows how the NEC centrally controlling PPC selection seems to cause issues (see also Rochdale). I think it also undermines the argument we heard about the PLP being mandated by the 'electorate' in order to ignore the opinions of local members. If you have centrally chosen candidates that are imposed on local parties and then subsequently elected I think it is pretty clear that the votes are given for the party and not the individual MP - they should keep that in mind when fighting against their local CLP which is too frequently by-passed by the NEC in London
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Last hope of stopping a landslide

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-05-09/cps- ... -breaches/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:#Robert Preston

CPS to announce tmrw whether any Tory will be prosecuted for breaching election spending rules in 2015, I have learned
I think he must mean any member of "Theresa May's team"
:sick:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've surfaced again (briefly).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

I haven't forgotten the list!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

What is it about Brits and Tories?
For crying out loud.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

I haven't forgotten the list!
very good.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:What is it about Brits and Tories?
For crying out loud.

I don't know - although I adhere to my belief that the monarchy (or at least in the the form this country clings to) has much to do with it.

Edited to add "in"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Then they have to go.
Not in any sinister sense (obv)
Just not bother curtseying and bowing and giving them 60 million a year for ravens master and dusting bling etc.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I think what you're referring to is our national predilection for:

a) cap doffing
b) forelock tugging
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I mean, the cost of swan upping these days, what?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Although the wide-boy species of Conservative that we now have, have played a blinder in managing to pull a great con-trick in that respect.

Edited to add -

By which I mean they're mainly "trade" rather than hereditary toffs and landed gentry.
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 09 May, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oops.
Bradd Jaffy‏Verified account
@BraddJaffy

Follow
More
BREAKING: Trump has fired FBI Director Comey, Spicer says
Never known such an incompetent, inept administration.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

The One Show has tweeted:

"Theresa May's love of shoes has inspired others to get into politics." But with a heart and high heel icon substituting for two of the words.

And I'm not making this up.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It is difficult to remain hopeful in these trying times.

Cue lonewolfie.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calls for end to 'inhumane' separation of elderly couples being moved into care

"Studies have found that a disproportionate number of people die shortly after being moved to a care home"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... nteraction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old people need to feel the joy of human interaction, too
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.24housing.co.uk/opinion/the-new-bedroom-tax/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new bedroom tax

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 20721.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-39859898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Southern Health faces Connor Sparrowhawk drowning charges