Wednesday 10th May 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 10th May 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... -evolution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New haul of Homo naledi bones sheds surprising light on human evolution
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 10th May 2017

Post by HindleA »

UK tech investors face loss of significant funding after Brexit
EU venture capital body cuts activity in Britain after triggering of Article 50

https://amp.ft.com/content/8fab88be-34c ... 23f8c0fd2e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

British technology investors face being cut off from Europe’s largest single source of venture capital funding, in a sign that the UK’s relationship with European institutions is weakening even before its official exit from the EU.

The European Investment Fund, a public-private partnership which accounts for more than a third of investment in UK-based venture capital funds, is slowing its activity in Britain and turning away funds that may have otherwise been eligible for investment, according to industry figures.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4107582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B.C. votes 2017: Liberals hold popular vote lead, but minority government possible

http://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/bcvotes2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/so ... d4fecdb3f1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

U.S. Census director resigns amid turmoil over funding of 2020 count
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mmchgeorge99.wordpress.com/2017 ... rt-scheme/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mmchgeorge99
Why Lawyers Should Reject HMCTS Early Start/Late Finish Court Scheme
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

This is the BBC News home page. Scroll down a little and see what the "General Election 2017" headlines are this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Absolute FUCKING JOKE.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Here's something actually being tweeted by the BBC News account (not the One Show account):

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

So-called serious news programme can't resist it either apparently:

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

NonOxCol wrote:Morning.

This is the BBC News home page. Scroll down a little and see what the "General Election 2017" headlines are this morning.

Absolute FUCKING JOKE.
Were you pointing us at that BBC Trending thing?

It's horrific!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-39856464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Morning.

Absolute FUCKING JOKE.
Were you pointing us at that BBC Trending thing?

It's horrific!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-39856464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That, yes. Pejorative without a shadow of a doubt, whether or not you click on it. And it's juxtaposed with "May and husband talk bins and love" (ffs), "Political partners: a potted history (look at the photo used)" and no mention of, say, fox hunting.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Interesting discussion on twitter of how surprisingly well Labour is doing in polling. Matching Miliband's numbers, despite the canvass returns telling a different story.

Lots f people don't want the Tories.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... liveFarron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says he is a parent himself. He is determined to build a country where people are decent to each other.
Having refrained from parenthood, does this mean I'm not decent?
Perhaps it's just been badly paraphrased by the G.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Do we know when we're expecting expenses-not-row-given-current-British-not-democracy
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ah:
A CPS spokeswoman declined this morning to give any details on the planned timing of any announcements about possible prosecutions in relation to alleged election over-spending by Tories at the 2015 election, or to confirm or deny whether any statement would be made later today.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Have we ended up in some kind of Crucible-esque mass hysteria?
(and I don't mean snooker)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One tweet asked whether Jimmy Savile’s actions would have been similarly condemned “if he had been Muslim”.

Speaking to the Huffington Post, which unearthed the messages, Bray said he did not recognise many of them, but said he had posted the comment about Savile.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Do we know when we're expecting expenses-not-row-given-current-British-not-democracy

11 am
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Panelbase:

CON 48 (+1)
LAB 31 (+1)
LD 8 (-2)
UKIP 5 (=)
GRN 2 (=)

Same as usual.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Paul Johnson at the IFS. Blinking red socks wearing expert. Why trust him about Labour's costings when we can listen to the Tory stooges.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:Interesting discussion on twitter of how surprisingly well Labour is doing in polling. Matching Miliband's numbers, despite the canvass returns telling a different story.

Ah of course, good old canvass returns.

Is it not impossible that Labour is losing some who voted for it in 2015, but picking up others from elsewhere?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

It's great weather for those campaigning. For those forced to study for upcoming exams, not so much.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

No charges to be brought by CPS

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/latest_news/ ... -expenses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

StephenDolan wrote:Paul Johnson at the IFS. Blinking red socks wearing expert. Why trust him about Labour's costings when we can listen to the Tory stooges.
Pointless fact of the day: Paul Johnson went to the same school as my children :D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

pk1 wrote:No charges to be brought by CPS

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/latest_news/ ... -expenses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not a surprise, despite some getting a tad excited.

Apparently one possible case (in Thanet) remains under investigation.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

And now we get the Tory party chairman saying it was politically motivated, and of *course* the BBC News dam has finally broken...

pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

This thread by David Allen Green is worth a read re CPS decision

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:Have we ended up in some kind of Crucible-esque mass hysteria?
(and I don't mean snooker)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One tweet asked whether Jimmy Savile’s actions would have been similarly condemned “if he had been Muslim”.

Speaking to the Huffington Post, which unearthed the messages, Bray said he did not recognise many of them, but said he had posted the comment about Savile.
He has now apparently been "dis-endorsed" and replaced as UKIP candidate for Clacton.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

And we can all get used to this sort of thing under the authoritarian right. Reminiscent of journalists' response to the Brooks verdict:

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Interesting discussion on twitter of how surprisingly well Labour is doing in polling. Matching Miliband's numbers, despite the canvass returns telling a different story.

Ah of course, good old canvass returns.

Is it not impossible that Labour is losing some who voted for it in 2015, but picking up others from elsewhere?
I am sure there is some of that. See eg me.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Decent poll out for Labour - in London.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

"Many complex reasons" why people use food banks according to May.

Again.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Can't stop banging on about this, but really... I mean REALLY, come ON....

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Blimey. When even the BBC are laying it out like this..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017 ... ting-story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Decent poll out for Labour - in London.
Is it good AK, what was the GE2015 outcome, I'm sure you'll know where to find it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

YouGov/Standard (London Westminster):

CON 36 (+2)
LAB 41 (+4)
LD 14 (=)
UKIP 6 (-3)
GRN 3 (-2)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Always a spate of bad policy. Fox hunting, price fixing, and now the usual dumb one that will not die, abolishing tuition fees.

I think I favour benign dictatorship over democracy.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Decent poll out for Labour - in London.
Is it good AK, what was the GE2015 outcome, I'm sure you'll know where to find it.
Tories are up 1, Labour down 3 on 2015. UK polling report have it here:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I guess that 4 point improvement for Labour since March is very welcome, but still a little way to go to match Ed's results 2 years ago.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I don't agree with simple abolition of tuition fees but a review of how anyone can be given the opportunity to access tertiary education at some point in their life

I think a fee can be appropriate but at a number about 5x less than the abomination now....

Remember we are paying for this now but with some vague promise that it will be paid back at some point, or sold on to a loanshark

Whatever happens, we need to invest in education and we know a party that won't do it!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Whatever happens, we need to invest in education and we know a party that won't do it!
Labour, because it will be spending £10bn oer annum on a regressive measure.

As I am leftwing, I don't favour changes that are regressive, however popular.

Not that the Greens, my party of choice, are any better.

We need a country ruled by technocrats. Screw democracy. Stupid idea. [Joke, for the avoidance of doubt.]
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Stop all this 'left-wing' nonsense and just wind your neck in....you are as left-wing as Theresa May (and as much a Green as well)

Wait and see what is in the manifesto before you get all frothed up - no-one has confirmed anything yet

As I said there are other options apart from just simple abolition

And higher education funding is only considered regressive because of the way that we look at education in this country - if we had equality of opportunity then it wouldn't be considered so. labour are more likely to attack that particular issue so that is why I will be voting for them
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Stop all this 'left-wing' nonsense and just wind your neck in....you are as left-wing as Theresa May (and as much a Green as well)

Wait and see what is in the manifesto before you get all frothed up - no-one has confirmed anything yet

And higher education funding is only considered regressive because of the way that we look at education in this country - if we had equality of opportunity then it wouldn't be considered so. labour are more likely to attack that particular issue so that is why I will be voting for them
Hugo has a legitimate point, whether you agree with him or not. Try not chucking personal attacks around for a change. It really doesn't achieve anything.

In fact I think it is poor economics and good politics. The 10 billion a year could be better spent, but this is about keeping what is left of Labours core vote motivated to turn out.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:YouGov/Standard (London Westminster):

CON 36 (+2)
LAB 41 (+4)
LD 14 (=)
UKIP 6 (-3)
GRN 3 (-2)
I don't understand what is actually going on in London as I see so many conflicting reports. In part because I cant tell if reported polls are actual London polls or just cross breaks from national polls which absolutely cannot be used to work out London voting.

Has anybody got a handle on it?
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Stop all this 'left-wing' nonsense and just wind your neck in....you are as left-wing as Theresa May (and as much a Green as well)

Hugo has a legitimate point, whether you agree with him or not. Try not chucking personal attacks around for a change. It really doesn't achieve anything.

In fact I think it is poor economics and good politics. The 10 billion a year could be better spent, but this is about keeping what is left of Labours core vote motivated to turn out.

I will say what I want thank you very much - stop telling me what to post.

He called Corbyn dim and stupid, as well as many other insults about Labour leaders - something you are happy to join in with as well

Personal attacks are personal attacks whether they are on people on here or politicians. I insult politicians when I think they deserve it (such as Cameron and May) and don't really differentiate. Most people on here I would never dream of insulting though, and if I do cause offence, I will happily apologise, You and Hugo don't fall in to that category - although I have more time for Hugo's posts to be honest!

Is it okay if I just call him dim and stupid then?

I was more shocked by his claim to be 'left wing' anyway
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I will say what I want thank you very much - stop telling me what to post.

He called Corbyn dim and stupid, as well as many other insults about Labour leaders

Is it okay of I just call him dim and stupid then?

I was more shocked by his claim to be 'left wing'
Right -says the individual telling Hugo what to post.

There is a difference between discussing the merits of a politician of any party and chucking personal insults around.

My point is it just isn't very productive. If you want to defend Labour leaders it should be possible without making personal attacks on their critics.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

All this talk of big data and Facebook etc, has produced this take on it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/10 ... ns_future/

The GDPR is a fantastic piece of legislation and applies to EU citizens wherever they are in the world.

Most of what Facebook does that gives it such commercial power isn't permitted by the GDPR. For now they seem to be ignoring it in the hope it will go away. I expect it to provide the EU with a decent revenue stream in fines.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Right -says the individual telling Hugo what to post.

There is a difference between discussing the merits of a politician of any party and chucking personal insults around.

My point is it just isn't very productive. If you want to defend Labour leaders it should be possible without making personal attacks on their critics.
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:All this talk of big data and Facebook etc, has produced this take on it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/10 ... ns_future/

The GDPR is a fantastic piece of legislation and applies to EU citizens wherever they are in the world.

Most of what Facebook does that gives it such commercial power isn't permitted by the GDPR. For now they seem to be ignoring it in the hope it will go away. I expect it to provide the EU with a decent revenue stream in fines.
I'd never heard them called "Shuttleworths" before I read the article. (We called them "Reading pads". Although I believe they're also known as "Mikardo sheets".)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, that got everyone going. Gone, even.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:YouGov/Standard (London Westminster):

CON 36 (+2)
LAB 41 (+4)
LD 14 (=)
UKIP 6 (-3)
GRN 3 (-2)
I don't understand what is actually going on in London as I see so many conflicting reports. In part because I cant tell if reported polls are actual London polls or just cross breaks from national polls which absolutely cannot be used to work out London voting.

Has anybody got a handle on it?
Yes. I ignore all the polls, deliver leaflets and encourage everyone to vote Labour.