Thursday May 11th 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday May 11th 2017

Post by HindleA »

I don't particularly regard aspects of it as left wing ,just what used to be largely agreed(Keith Joseph support for ICA as an example) and something approaching policy that matches the pretence.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Hello, there! Good to see you.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:@PaulfromYorkshire

Hello, there! Good to see you.
Hello! ;-)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Labour shouldn't be looking at the 'centre' as it is now. The centre is far to the right of where it was before 2010!

Labour policies are left of centre.....compared to 2017 definitions. Compared to 97 they aren't particularly
I don't think this is true, really. Things haven't all moved to the right. So, we are now in a world where it is suggested we fix salaries, and do so at basically arbitrary nice round numbers, and not according to economic impact. That is far to the left of 1997.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

But the overall shape of the 45-page document is unlikely to change that much. Although it is less delusional than the 1983 manifesto, it clearly represents a big shift to the left compared with the party’s 2015 platform, under the leadership of Ed Miliband.
My emphasis.

This almost qualifies as an endorsement from the Economist ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Labour shouldn't be looking at the 'centre' as it is now. The centre is far to the right of where it was before 2010!

Labour policies are left of centre.....compared to 2017 definitions. Compared to 97 they aren't particularly
I don't think this is true, really. Things haven't all moved to the right. So, we are now in a world where it is suggested we fix salaries, and do so at basically arbitrary nice round numbers, and not according to economic impact. That is far to the left of 1997.
Attlee and Wilson would both been entirely comfortable with this manifesto wouldn't they?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Must be my eyesight,I can't actually see him.Bet he hasn't got a tie on though.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

So a country that voted for Brexit and supports a Government in 2015 who proposed reducing spending to a level not seen since the 30s and is carrying on privatizing everything it can whilst cutting payments to the poor and disabled is not moving things to the right?

Oh and the rise of acceptable nationalism and xenophobia?

Didn't 'fixing' salaries come in with the minimum wage? The fact we have working people claiming benefits shows how far we have come

And you claim you are a left winger?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Must be my eyesight,I can't actually see him.Bet he hasn't got a tie on though.
Oy!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
But the overall shape of the 45-page document is unlikely to change that much. Although it is less delusional than the 1983 manifesto, it clearly represents a big shift to the left compared with the party’s 2015 platform, under the leadership of Ed Miliband.
My emphasis.

I agree that this is the sort of manifesto that EM might have liked to present then, but the likes of Balls and the Bitterites wouldn't let him.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Attlee and Wilson would both been entirely comfortable with this manifesto wouldn't they?

Price fixing of wages across all sectors like that? I don't think so, no. We used to have Wages Councils, but they didn't set arbitrary figures across the whole economy, like now.

The old new Labour NMW was a good idea. Its corruption by Osborne, and now both parties, is very bad news.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:So a country that voted for Brexit and supports a Government in 2015 who proposed reducing spending to a level not seen since the 30s and is carrying on privatizing everything it can whilst cutting payments to the poor and disabled is not moving things to the right?

Didn't 'fixing' salaries come in with the minimum wage? The fact we have working people claiming benefits shows how far we have come

Some things clearly have moved right. So, for decades privatisation has not been challenged (mainly I think because there is no expert case for nationalisation, save in relation to water.) The overall tax/spend rates have not really budged at all, but they have certainly become less progressive in some respects. Although inequality has hardly moved at all since 1990, there was a big change in the 1980s.

But, as i said, the movement has not all been one way. The minimum wage is one, which fixes the salary of, what, 20% of workers? We spend far more on educating the over 16 and 18s than we did 20 years ago. Non-economic social things, like human rights, equal marriage, have all moved left.

Quite a strong case can be made that both parties are trying to turn the clock back.

So the Tories are trying to kill foxes and bring back grammars.

Labour is trying to re-nationalise and have greater state control over the economy generally.

Both in supporting Brexit are trying to take us back to an early 70s world.

As one of the tiny band of people who liked the New Labour government, these attempts to turn back the clock seem to me to be unfortunate.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Nominations have closed for the GE.

The first published SOPN's have Brentford/Isleworth with just the 3 "main" party candidates - the first of many (will be quite a few with just the "big 4" in Wales/Scotland as well)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

The IFS state it is more interventionist than anything seen since the 40s. I think this is caused by some unwise stuff around wage caps. We have moved beyond the point where such things and indeed collective bargaining are seen as desirable by the majority.

However outside those areas it looks less radical and more mainstream.

If Labour are the back to 1973 party the Tories are aiming for 1933 via Gove's imaginary 1950s world.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/voluntary-s ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Oh, ffs, Hugo do you actually believe what you write?

"Things haven't all moved to the right."

We are at the furthest point right as a nation that I can remember in my lifetime, with policies and destruction of things that an old school centrist would weep over, whether they considered themselves left or right of centre. Fixing upper limits on what are at present obscenely high 'salaries' is hardly a measure that most people would object to, unless of course they are beneficiaries of said obscene levels of pay. They amount to a kind of theft, as no person ever does work equal to that value. (I personally would only want to remunerate people to such degree if they were offering not just their company but society something exceptional in the way of progressing our world. I see very little evidence of anything approaching that, instead a whole lot of overprivileged people living in a class of their own and sadly able to but political influence that affects the lives of billions.) For goodness sake get a grip.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

SpinningHugo wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:So a country that voted for Brexit and supports a Government in 2015 who proposed reducing spending to a level not seen since the 30s and is carrying on privatizing everything it can whilst cutting payments to the poor and disabled is not moving things to the right?

Some things clearly have moved right. So, for decades privatisation has not been challenged (mainly I think because there is no expert case for nationalisation, save in relation to water.) The overall tax/spend rates have not really budged at all, but they have certainly become less progressive in some respects. Although inequality has hardly moved at all since 1990, there was a big change in the 1980s.

But, as i said, the movement has not all been one way. The minimum wage is one, which fixes the salary of, what, 20% of workers? We spend far more on educating the over 16 and 18s than we did 20 years ago. Non-economic social things, like human rights, equal marriage, have all moved left.

Quite a strong case can be made that both parties are trying to turn the clock back.

Labour is trying to re-nationalise and have greater state control over the economy generally.

As one of the tiny band of people who liked the New Labour government, these attempts to turn back the clock seem to me to be unfortunate.
Correction. Young people themselves are spending more on education than ever before. 6th form courses everywhere disappearing, and foundation courses once the province of FE colleges also now repurposed into fee-paying 'foundation degrees'.

And if you think things like human rights have moved to the left then you have not read a good portion of the excellent links posted here. Equal marriage rights is bye the bye, a bonus for those who wished for it for decades, but thrown like a fish by Cameron to boost his personal popularity, probably the only thing he got right. It certainly does nothing to protect the other human rights of such people, I still read regularly of quite horrendous cases of bigotry and abuse against people on the basis of gender preference. A good position to take on human rights is not to assign them a left wing bias, but to see them as neutral. Breaching them is another matter.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Of essence it had to be a mixture,removing the worst excesses of resultant targeted demonisation political machinated against all evidence,sense or indeed basic decency AK recently stated such things are becoming less popular,I hope so,but there is more to come.Needless to say,supposed savings was always a ruse,it garners votes.Not adverse to the same tactics of course or possibly a third way of only half a hospital bed being subject to a penalty,sounds ridiculous but that is what you get if you fart around with what should be fundamentally unacceptable.As stated earlier,a shift back to what was previously mooted before having a brain tumour was deemed a lifestyle choice and crawling through shit for the minimum wage dragging a dialysis machine on a trolley was a health outcome but above all makes others orgasmic with delight bemoaning a tattoo that can only be seen with an electronic microscope.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
My emphasis.

I agree that this is the sort of manifesto that EM might have liked to present then, but the likes of Balls and the Bitterites wouldn't let him.
Indeed. Let us see if it is more or less successful.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

To be clear, the minimum wage or its odd cousin that Osborne introduced, which I have forgotten the name of as few seem to be using it, means very little in a climate of zero hours contracts, highly mobile work where workers are expected to foot the bill for transport and delivery of various services, and often on unpaid time. It does not mean fairness, or being able to manage, and the introduction of Universal Credit as a replacement for our traditional benefit system is already creating widespread hardship. I wish these ignorant statement were challenged more often, when presented as beneficial. Instead it is driving down incomes radically while prices rise, but onn the basis of how figures can now be represented gives a false impression that things are a lot fucking better than they actually are.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

seeingclearly wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Correction. Young people themselves are spending more on education than ever before. 6th form courses everywhere disappearing, and foundation courses once the province of FE colleges also now repurposed into fee-paying 'foundation degrees'.

And if you think things like human rights have moved to the left then you have not read a good portion of the excellent links posted here. Equal marriage rights is bye the bye, a bonus for those who wished for it for decades, but thrown like a fish by Cameron to boost his personal popularity, probably the only thing he got right. It certainly does nothing to protect the other human rights of such people, I still read regularly of quite horrendous cases of bigotry and abuse against people on the basis of gender preference. A good position to take on human rights is not to assign them a left wing bias, but to see them as neutral. Breaching them is another matter.

I certainly wouldn't claim that bigotry and prejudice have been eliminated from the world.

But, if you think racism, sexism and homophobia in Britain are as bad now as in, say, 1975, we'll have to disagree. Not everything gets worse. Social attitudes of tolerance seem to me to have improved.

The big problem is that you can only move things to the left ("shift the Overton window") while in power. Labour under Corbyn, and to a lesser extent under Miliband, have tried to do that in opposition. This has been a failure, a catastrophic one in my opinion. If we want the tide to turn back, the Tories need to be removed from power. Labour is never going to do that again, and so we need some kind of reorganisation. That will take more than just one more defeat unfortunately.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I certainly wouldn't claim that bigotry and prejudice have been eliminated from the world.

But, if you think racism, sexism and homophobia in Britain are as bad now as in, say, 1975, we'll have to disagree. Not everything gets worse. Social attitudes of tolerance seem to me to have improved.

The big problem is that you can only move things to the left ("shift the Overton window") while in power. Labour under Corbyn, and to a lesser extent under Miliband, have tried to do that in opposition. This has been a failure, a catastrophic one in my opinion. If we want the tide to turn back, the Tories need to be removed from power. Labour is never going to do that again, and so we need some kind of reorganisation. That will take more than just one more defeat unfortunately.
I have seen more racism evident in the last few years than ever in my lifetime, and will not take lectures on it. There are people who fear for their lives snd futures in a way I have not seen before. If you cannot discern this you must exist in a bubble. Likewise sexism is alive and doing well, as is homophobia. Maybe different to 1975, but no where near eradicated, but in fact made visible in ways that we never dreamed of then. And tbh, fuck such terms as Overton Window, I am going by the lived experiences of those who have observed both eras at the end you seem unlikely to have experiential knowledge of. In short, along with other things of a less savoury nature, what was once a minority interest has now gone mainstream. (See also more obvious examples from across the pond.)
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

And I disagree that Labour is 'never going to do that again'. There is plenty of evidence that in fact the Labour movement and its ideals are still a very vital part of this nations make up.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

My apologies if overposting, but Hugos incessantly negative posting re: the only real alternative to the manipulative, undemocratic, rights abusing party in power. It is one thing to post about any shortcomings of opposition, it is quite another when they take action that might help to alleviate, to undermine with a very skewed picture of what life is like for the many when observing from some kind of single pointed and often rather odd poistion, as though one is ultimate authority on all things. We get enough of that from other sources well publicised already.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

seeingclearly wrote:

I have seen more racism evident in the last few years than ever in my lifetime, and will not take lectures on it. There are people who fear for their lives snd futures in a way I have not seen before. If you cannot discern this you must exist in a bubble. Likewise sexism is alive and doing well, as is homophobia. Maybe different to 1975, but no where near eradicated, but in fact made visible in ways that we never dreamed of then. And tbh, fuck such terms as Overton Window, I am going by the lived experiences of those who have observed both eras at the end you seem unlikely to have experiential knowledge of. In short, along with other things of a less savoury nature, what was once a minority interest has now gone mainstream. (See also more obvious examples from across the pond.)
Well, we all of course have our own lived experiences, which is why data on social attitudes his so important.

As for whether Labour can win, in a month we're going to have yet another mound of data on that. Yet again, I think it won't support you. But we'll see.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
Such a platform could well have scored better than the actual result for Ed two years ago.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Such a platform could well have scored better than the actual result for Ed two years ago.

Untestable of course. I doubt it.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Nominations have closed for the GE.

The first published SOPN's have Brentford/Isleworth with just the 3 "main" party candidates - the first of many (will be quite a few with just the "big 4" in Wales/Scotland as well)

Yes, this is very, very bad news for labour.

So, Ukips look like putting forward fewer candidates this time, many in Labour marginals. So, looks like Mary Creagh (majority 8,000) will be in trouble in Wakefield as ukips aren't standing a candidate.

Labour looks like getting bashed in terms of seats, which is why Milne is stressing vote share, and Corbyn is spending his time in inner city safe Labour seats to get the Corbyn vote out.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

It'd have my vote, TBF

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 0511127458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

SpinningHugo wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

Well, we all of course have our own lived experiences, which is why data on social attitudes his so important.

As for whether Labour can win, in a month we're going to have yet another mound of data on that. Yet again, I think it won't support you. But we'll see.
If you think data reflects lived experience then you are down a different rabbit hole.

It is widely accepted that many things go completely unreported, especially in areas of rights. Just on domvi alone we know this to be true. The reasons for not reporting are many and usually involve shame, fear, social stigma and a lot more. As an example of how far to the right we have travelled I cannot even imagine how any other government in 40 years or more could have demanded, in exchange for a form of child support, that support for third child on would have to be made on the basis of having been abused. Now we have a government demanding such disclosure. Not only that there is the most demeaning dorm to fill, which means people have to put an account of their abuse into writing for others to peruse, and to pass judgement on.

My main point thou is that in matters of rights violation of same is almost always underreported. Data is not everything, and in no way increases the sum of 'substance of we feeling' instead it is used to get frothers frothing, mainly on topics they know nothing of.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

If Labour get bashed it will largely be because the Conservative party and their supporters have put huge amiunts of money and influence behind their efforts to remain in power by obscuring what they are really doing by claiming that Labour caused it all.

It is a familiar pattern if you have observed the rise of authoritarian regimes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Lots of former UKIP voters have already gone over to the Tories if you believe the polls (and I think I do on this, at least)

The stubborn 5% or so who still claim to support them are IMO more likely to abstain or vote for non-Tory options if there is no UKIP candidate.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Lots of former UKIP voters have already gone over to the Tories if you believe the polls (and I think I do on this, at least)

The stubborn 5% or so who still claim to support them are IMO more likely to abstain or vote for non-Tory options if there is no UKIP candidate.
I don't think most Ukips voters are that well informed. I think a large chunk of them if asked either couldn't name the leader, or if pressed would say Farage. Not having a Ukips candidate to soak away some Tory voters like that is bad news.

Labour might get some benefit from there being fewer greens, but not much. We just don't have enough votes.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

seeingclearly wrote:If Labour get bashed it will largely be because the Conservative party and their supporters have put huge amiunts of money and influence behind their efforts to remain in power by obscuring what they are really doing by claiming that Labour caused it all.

It is a familiar pattern if you have observed the rise of authoritarian regimes.

The same has always been true. In the past, Labour could overcome this.

It won't ever again.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Yes, I agree.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:If Labour get bashed it will largely be because the Conservative party and their supporters have put huge amiunts of money and influence behind their efforts to remain in power by obscuring what they are really doing by claiming that Labour caused it all.

It won't ever again.
The Tory coalition is by its nature unstable, probably more so than Blair's which lasted 97-08. You will have a government that promised what it knows it has no way of delivering and is heading towards the biggest economic shambles since forever. That coalition is going to fragment, the problem for the post Corbyn Labour Party is how to craft the shattered bits into a coherent anti Tory pro Labour bloc of voters.

It is going to need a strong leader, it may need an accomodation with the lib dems and it will need to pick up the Kipper to Tory switchers and the centerist Tory switchers. At this stage it isn't clear to me what that policy platform looks like. Is it 2015/17 rehashed or something else.

The electorate is volatile, May isn't any good and the Tory Party is still a rabble. Find a candidate with a vision and there is a chance. The problem will be that the country will be flat broke and in a huge recession. Whatever is proposed will have to convince economically.
Release the Guardvarks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

It won't ever again.
The Tory coalition is by its nature unstable, probably more so than Blair's which lasted 97-08. You will have a government that promised what it knows it has no way of delivering and is heading towards the biggest economic shambles since forever. That coalition is going to fragment, the problem for the post Corbyn Labour Party is how to craft the shattered bits into a coherent anti Tory pro Labour bloc of voters.

It is going to need a strong leader, it may need an accomodation with the lib dems and it will need to pick up the Kipper to Tory switchers and the centerist Tory switchers. At this stage it isn't clear to me what that policy platform looks like. Is it 2015/17 rehashed or something else.

The electorate is volatile, May isn't any good and the Tory Party is still a rabble. Find a candidate with a vision and there is a chance. The problem will be that the country will be flat broke and in a huge recession. Whatever is proposed will have to convince economically.
Scotland.

Old people.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AltaVista search engine
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Mornington Crescent
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Scotland.

Old people.
Labour can win without Scotland, but it is likely to be in-play. A discredited Tory government and an SNP that is itself starting to fail will bring more opportunities.

Old people will be part of that fragmented coalition, they aren't all rich - healthcare will be a thing. The boomers who are the prosperous pro Brexit lot are starting to die off, you have 5 more years of young people and people in their late 40s now are being screwed over royally by the Tory obsession with prosperous pensioners.

The Tories aren't creating new rich pensioners to replace the ones dying off. Those on the cusp of retirement now may find the recession awful.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Interesting poll.
Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 23m23 minutes ago
More
On banning zero hours employment contracts:

Support: 71%
Oppose: 16%

(via @ComRes / 11 May)
And yes, I'm sure there are people who actually like the flexibility but it can't be difficult to draw up a contract that has the same effect but stops the exploitative employers.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... gures-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS patients waiting months for vital bowel cancer tests, figures show
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ught-fears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Water companies losing vast amounts through leakage, as drought fears rise
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

As I said a while back I'm in Italy soon (next week) and for one awful moment I thought I'd need to search for an internet cafe to print my boarding pass as the dolts at Kiwi insisted - wrongly - that they couldn't issue it yet.

But...the hotel where I'm staying for the first few days has said I can print it there.

No internet for a week...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

First question on QT apparently phrased like this:

"Is the leaked Labour manifesto an attempt to drag Britain back to the nightmare that was the 1970s?"

You know, even if it were fair and impartial to take your Qs from frothing front pages, choosing a question that adds the words "leaked" "drag" and "nightmare" kind of rings the alarm, doesn't it?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

NonOxCol wrote:Katie Hile (BBC Business and Economics producer trawling social media for ex-Labour Corbyn haters) the sequel:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Katie Hile has now locked her account.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Elected councillor in the QT audience last night.

Asked a question on TV.
Asked to comment more than once on panel responses, including to questions he did not ask.
Also on 5Live afterwards.

One guess which party he represents. Clue: he asked the 70s question. Well of course he did.

See Catriona McKenzie on Twitter.