Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th May 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th May 2017

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/e ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything that's wrong with Theresa May's big promise to build more social housing
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
HindleA wrote:Stop trying to delegitimise,belittle others people,situation and views,cheers.

Not a fucking game to all of us.

statement.
It most certainly isn't a game.

Which is why anecdotes that are contrary to the overwhelming evidence need to be challenged.

If we want to effect change in a democracy we need to be ruthless. As ruthless as the Tories are. Silly over optimism is counterproductive, put at its lowest.
The thing is anecdote is not evidence. I can list a steady stream of lifelong Labour voters who have told me they won't vote for Corbyn. But it doesn't prove anything, local elections and polls provide evidence.

It has been noted that even Corbyn's closest allies are airbrushing him from literature, which isn't what I would expect if SC's anecdote reflected reality.
Not what I am seeing, mate. I don't know where your influences lie. I am well and truly incapacitated, with a lot of time on my hands. The people I know are not like that at all. See my post re Hugo. With a media as bent as ours, how else do we judge the mood except through the evidence of lived existence. I'm not translating it into undue hope neither am I expecting anyone to take my word for it. What I am doing is recounting a personal view that might suggest a different reality to the unremitting negativity that often permeates things here. Have you for instance looked at some of the footage of real events over the last few days, both off and on our formal media? They suggest that a lot is being edited out of the news, as ever, but also that Theresa Mays electioneering is going down like a bucket of cold sick. And the rest of the sods who have the nerve to call themselves our government are in hiding, for fear they will not meet with a good response. Something different IS going on to 2015. It may not mean a win, but it does mean hope that as a nation we are not prepared to continue on this path. Which if the tories win might well mean a very renewed opposition in Parliament and from the oublic. We ARE NOT the people our media want us to be, xenophobic and spiteful. Neither are we largely rightwing ideologues. Nearly everyone I come in contact with just wants their country back. Not in a Farage sort of way, but in a decent sort of way. And they know why and how we got to this place, and who has not protected who we are as a nation. The focus is not on Corbyn for sure, the person they are pissed off with is our Lady Prime Minister.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:"When I received our copy of the Derbyshire Times last week my first response was to pick up the 'phone and complain to the newsagent that I had wrongly sent a copy of the Daily Mail-and then I looked more carefully and realised the correct delivery had in fact been made neatly packaged with Tory propaganda....etc

THe DT does not support any party regardless if they advertise or not.All legitimate parties may do so.There is a clear distinction between paid advertisement from third parties and editorial independence blah blah.

(Five pages.)
Happening up and down the country. A lot of people won't notice it is advertising. Should be banned, IMO. For constituting undue interference. Obviously those with the largest budgets can do this, doesn't substitute for a legitimate election campaign on policies. It is just who has the fancier budget. Watch out for June 7th and 8th. They will have something big planned, no doubt, to try and cement the result they hope for.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yeah,Chad as well which would have made Toby happy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I get my DT second hand,been some time since I actually bought any newspaper;if in perusal mood pick up and read in newsagents or library early before some bastard beats me to the crossword.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

With regard to the absence of Jeremy Hunt in the wake of cyberattacks on our health service, have to not his negligence is more than shored up by decisions made by the previous government (during which Theresa May was in place the Home Office, a Cabinet member, and therefore not outside of decision making herself) to divest the Secretary of State of a duty of care. As the PM has been inplace for nearly a year and has not in that time made any substantial change to decisions during the coalition years she and the current government are to be held responsible on this matter, regardless of the international nature of the attack. Wales not in the same place at all, as precaustions taken already.

As another aside, (my apologies for digressing, but the chickens are coming home to roost, in increasing numbers, why did nobody take heed then? ) it is quite noticeable that though in 2015 within hours of the actual election results becoming apparent it was also apparent that things just ticked on in exactly the same way as before, in fact as they had done since 2010. i.e. a continuation of government by edict, rather than action. In the intervening time this has continued. Edicts, and what ensues. Very little else. I find it hard to believe, given the referendum and ensuing chaos, that there isn't a sizeable amount of people who have noticed and are dischuffed about this.

-----------
I took a look at housing today. Anyone wanting to rent must really be a masochist if they don't vote against the tories. The promises on housing are empty and scurrilous, and large swathes of people who are unlikely ever to become home owners are edited out of renting.

No dss, no pets, has an unmistakeable whiff of the mid 1950s. And the tenancy terms rule a huge amount of people out. It was bad a decade ago. For many now it is impossible.

And TM is 'promising' a solution with no certain outcomes for tenants for over a decade!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

seeingclearly wrote:
Not what I am seeing, mate. I don't know where your influences lie. I am well and truly incapacitated, with a lot of time on my hands. The people I know are not like that at all. See my post re Hugo. With a media as bent as ours, how else do we judge the mood except through the evidence of lived existence. I'm not translating it into undue hope neither am I expecting anyone to take my word for it. What I am doing is recounting a personal view that might suggest a different reality to the unremitting negativity that often permeates things here. Have you for instance looked at some of the footage of real events over the last few days, both off and on our formal media? They suggest that a lot is being edited out of the news, as ever, but also that Theresa Mays electioneering is going down like a bucket of cold sick. And the rest of the sods who have the nerve to call themselves our government are in hiding, for fear they will not meet with a good response. Something different IS going on to 2015. It may not mean a win, but it does mean hope that as a nation we are not prepared to continue on this path. Which if the tories win might well mean a very renewed opposition in Parliament and from the oublic. We ARE NOT the people our media want us to be, xenophobic and spiteful. Neither are we largely rightwing ideologues. Nearly everyone I come in contact with just wants their country back. Not in a Farage sort of way, but in a decent sort of way. And they know why and how we got to this place, and who has not protected who we are as a nation. The focus is not on Corbyn for sure, the person they are pissed off with is our Lady Prime Minister.
I have no reason to doubt what you are seeing in a local campaign. But nationally all the evidence points to the opposite. If you can find any reputable opinion poll that suggests it is even vaguely close I will be happy (in fact delighted) to be corrected.

But we also have to explain, the results in Copeland, the local election results and the fact that Teeside elected a Tory Mayor.

All of which were results of unprecedented awfulness for the Labour Party. The local elections here, spanning a host of must win marginals were dreadful for Labour.

For what you are saying to be true on a national level, as opposed to a local level, we don't just have to explain why the polls are wrong, but why the election results are wrong.

Labour canvassers thought it was close in 1983.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Two local council byelections this past week:

South Derbyshire DC - Tory hold in a marginal ward which split 2Tory/1Lab in 2015 after doing so 2Lab/1Tory four years earlier, the first election since boundary changes (though the similar predecessor ward had returned 2 out of 2 Labour members in both 2007 and 2003) There was a modest swing since the last GE day as both the big parties increased (the Tories by double figures) but a bigger one since 2011 when it had been a straight Labour/Tory fight. Two years ago, however, UKIP had intervened and come a close third - their decline since was made clear this time as they scored just 9%, losing some two thirds of their share. LibDems last with 6%, also down a bit on last time.

Kings Lynn/W Norfolk DC - Labour hold in a ward which has returned two Labour councillors in every election since 2003, but the Tories ran them close in 2007 and have remained competitive since. In 2015 UKIP joined what had hitherto been a straight Lab/Tory fight and made an immediate impression, their sole hopeful just beating the two Tory candidates to the runner-up spot and finishing within 10 points of Labour with some 30%. In contrast to the above, their collapse this time to less than 12% - again, shedding about two thirds of their previous support - benefited Labour as much as the Tories (indeed, there was a small pro-Labour swing since then on the "top vote" method of calculating change in multi-member divisions - though there was a modest movement to the Tories since 2011) LibDems stood here for the first time this century, and came just a handful of votes behind the collapsing Kippers.

One contest this coming week, plus an unopposed return in the Yorkshire Dales.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Something Trump shares with a certain historical figure who shall not be named (especially by Ken), obsessive and incompetent micro-management of military equipment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... ned-steam/

I imagine the US Navy has filed his memo in the circular filing cabinet, and shredded it for extra security.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks AK.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... als-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Rogers and leading UK architects call for clarity on EU nationals
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
I have no reason to doubt what you are seeing in a local campaign. But nationally all the evidence points to the opposite. If you can find any reputable opinion poll that suggests it is even vaguely close I will be happy (in fact delighted) to be corrected.

But we also have to explain, the results in Copeland, the local election results and the fact that Teeside elected a Tory Mayor.

All of which were results of unprecedented awfulness for the Labour Party. The local elections here, spanning a host of must win marginals were dreadful for Labour.

For what you are saying to be true on a national level, as opposed to a local level, we don't just have to explain why the polls are wrong, but why the election results are wrong.

Labour canvassers thought it was close in 1983.
Things are changing daily. Polls I do not rely on. People changing their minds seems more indicative.

I am not looking locally. I am in a safe seat about to disappear, and next door to a seat won in 2015 by a famously mouthy young Labour MP that few seem to really like. I would suggest though that there isn't a national level as such right now, though the press tries to give that impression. It will probably be down to who shouts loudest (has more money and influence) than any real conviction on the small amount of floating voters who will make the difference. Which is a sad inditement of our politics, because I am not convinced at all that what people really want is what the tories deliver. As somebody else, probably Hugo, said, it is rapidly becoming between Labour and Conservatives. In this things are very different from 2015, whichere the vote was split more. I have a very clear memory of 1983. It is not what canvassers think now that is relevant to my comments. It is that everyone is predicting a huge landslide, 200+ seats predicted? If that were to happen I would be very wary of the results, especially given the microtargetting strategies we now know are likely to be used. Which seem to me to be fundamentally undemocratic.

I am not arging with you TE just presenting a different view. Labour still represents a substantial section of voters, in very much the same way as remainers do. But we do not have PR and Theresa Mays shameful and very unBritish recent actions quite honestly give me the heebie-jeebies. I think quite a lot of the cross section of people I see and know feel similarly.

In spite of what we have seen in recent years I do believe that British people deserve better. And to have that they need to believe it can be. That is all.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Thanks AK.
Do you have data on turnout? The Mayorals were pretty abysmal for that.
And do you have a view on how that affects things at GE time.
I do not recall what it was in 2015.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 35311.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tory MP 'told schoolgirl to "f*** off back to Scotland" when she said she'd vote for independence'
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... als-brexit

Lord Rogers and leading UK architects call for clarity on EU nationals
Cultural cross-fertilisation of ideas etc. vital to progress, creative industries understand this, in fact very little progress without it. On this the professionals are better placed to speak than politicos and populists. The scientists and doctors understand this too.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Strong and stable"
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

How is Lennie, Has he been spotted recently?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

So are ingrowing toenails, but would we want them?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Real fight starts now

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/j ... 7e7b6d?2u1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Escaped from Sports Direct,last I heard he is somewhere in Germany and has got a job as a roadie for the Stones tour(him and Keef go back years) in the Autumn.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Originally called Angela,hence "Angie'in tribute

[youtube]qa8leK9ejrw[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@seeingclearly
Your posts are especially good today, thank you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

That wasa tenuous. Sky link (Roundhay Park,which he sometimes mentions),he usually makes a Sunday night appearance,when not falling over stiles and such things)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

That's nothing the manifesto pledges to deal with elderly lonelines was written by the Trostskyite axe wielding Keeley,and as for non demonisation of the sick/disabled/carers and actual humanity,pure evil Leninism,must be stopped of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]Cowl02DXx3A[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... d-falls-25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Number of school leavers on electoral roll in England falls 25%