Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th May 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th May 2017

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its not mandatory for a leader to resign IMMEDIATELY after losing an election, both Foot and Kinnock carried on for a bit.
Losing might mean a lot of different things this time.

Corbyn could easily lose but win, if you see what I mean.

My best hope (I still don't think Labour can win outright) is that May loses her majority and has to lead a minority government with Corbyn as a pugnacious Leader of the Opposition.

This is actually quite an appealing prospect IMHO and in such a case Corbyn would surely not resign.
If your best hope came about, I wouldn't expect him to resign. However . . .
;-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Right, I have to get up at silly o'clock to get to the airport on time. And as i said I won't be seeking out an internet cafe in Italy, I hope everyone has a good week.

Just think...a week with no electioneering, no polls, no strong and stable leadership...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have a good week,yourself,Roger
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Enjoy your trip. Stay safe. See you on your return.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Any sign of Jeremy Hunt, yet?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Right, I have to get up at silly o'clock to get to the airport on time. And as i said I won't be seeking out an internet cafe in Italy, I hope everyone has a good week.

Just think...a week with no electioneering, no polls, no strong and stable leadership...
As long as you stay away from the Internet that is. Enjoy and drink some beer.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Think he got an airstewardess job,Roger is on the case
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its not mandatory for a leader to resign IMMEDIATELY after losing an election, both Foot and Kinnock carried on for a bit.

My best hope (I still don't think Labour can win outright) is that May loses her majority and has to lead a minority government with Corbyn as a pugnacious Leader of the Opposition.

This is actually quite an appealing prospect IMHO and in such a case Corbyn would surely not resign.
Now that *is* optimistic. Very long odds indeed you can get if you really think that.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:Any sign of Jeremy Hunt, yet?
No, but Captain Teflon is about somewhere and I have noticed you never see Captain Teflon and Jeremy at the same time.

Come to think of it, Superman used a telephone booth to change (good luck with that now matey), I have always wondered why Captain Teflon uses trees.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Now that *is* optimistic. Very long odds indeed you can get if you really think that.
Still more realistic than Labour Eoin though. Paul is going to have to try much harder to match that.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -mcdonnell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Still more realistic than Labour Eoin though. Paul is going to have to try much harder to match that.
I doubt the good Dr believes what he writes.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39911530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Right, I have to get up at silly o'clock to get to the airport on time. And as i said I won't be seeking out an internet cafe in Italy, I hope everyone has a good week.

Have a lovely time, Roger!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Night night.
Goodnight, PorFavor
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Missed one (I was out at the cinema)

YouGov/Times:

CON 49 (+3)
LAB 31 (+1)
LD 9 (-2)
UKIP 3 (-2)

#GE2017

LDs definitely dipping.

Sadly, people don't care about Brexit, because they don't understand that everything else turns on it. See also the Greens who are getting squeezed.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:While the current ransomeware attack is about extortion, they only bolted that on to the NSA hacking kit. The kit could equally be used to execute code aimed at retrieving patient records. In fact combining the two would be an excellent way to cover your tracks. Steal stuff, encrypt all the logs.
Mr citizen had to explain it to me
terrifying, absolutely terrifying
I should clarify, I think it is unlikely patient records are compromised, but I also think anybody claiming they definitely weren't is bullshitting. It will take time to find out.

The reason I think it is unlikely they were compromised by this attack is I would expect the databases to be in an environment using grown up Windows or Linux operating systems, professionally supported and sitting behind capable (and expensive) firewalls such as CheckPoint or Fortigate.

Typically these firewalls would also run an intrusion protection system that would detect this attack and block it.

Here is Fortigate's take on it (basically buy more stuff).

http://blog.fortinet.com/2017/05/12/pro ... ransomware
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ent-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recruitment crisis hits NHS with one in nine posts currently vacant
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... necropolis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Archaeologists uncover 17 mummies in Egyptian necropolis
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
Good morfternoon, PorFavor!
Lovely morning, here
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... on-low-pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nurses vote in support of strike ballot over low pay
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Not bad here, either. Sunny - but very breezy. Can't speak for the temperature since I haven't been outside.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mr citizen and I find no end of things to talk about, morning flies by
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The Conservatives are being challenged to explain how many new homes Theresa May’s promised “housing revolution” will produce.
Policing minister Brandon Lewis, a former housing minister, refused to say how many homes the plan would deliver and he was vague on the timescale"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ing-pledge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
He will be challenged immediately, even if he tries to hang on.

The size of the defeat is going to be immense, and the anger and fury palpable. Pointing to a few percentage points isn't going to help him. Labour now trails the Tory party in every social class, surely the first time that has ever happened.

It is less clear to me that he will try and stay on, with a huge majority of Labour members already expressing a clear preference that he should resign if he loses. I suspect even Corbyn will bow to the utter and total rejection by the electorate.
Not from where I am sitting, it doesn't. Trail the tories etc. etc. And I know people from all walks of life bar the upper crust. Mostly currently in work. Except the young. Most seem to think the tories have taken them far further than they ever believed was possible. In the wrong direction. And are worrying for their childrens futures. Not sure the utter rejection you describe will materialise. I have been quite surprised by how many are paying great attention to events. I guess I was used to being told most of them are apathetic, but au contraire, they do not seem to be. Maybe Mrs May has triggered a shudder of revulsion for what she advocates. We shall see.......
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Good work by Thornberry on Marr. Made Fallon look like the odious plonker he is.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

As some people are putting it, Fallon was "rinsed" :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:@citizenJA

Not bad here, either. Sunny - but very breezy. Can't speak for the temperature since I haven't been outside.
Sorry it took me so long getting back to you, my friend.
I fouled up my computer settings somehow. Everything white, backgrounds, text, hovered, highlighted items...you get the idea? I'm embarrassed how long it took mickey-mousing around with it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-opposite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Labour's manifesto living in fantasy land? Quite the opposite
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Only watched linked snippet,welcome use of "bollocks".Should be used more IMHO.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"When I received our copy of the Derbyshire Times last week my first response was to pick up the 'phone and complain to the newsagent that I had wrongly sent a copy of the Daily Mail-and then I looked more carefully and realised the correct delivery had in fact been made neatly packaged with Tory propaganda....etc

THe DT does not support any party regardless if they advertise or not.All legitimate parties may do so.There is a clear distinction between paid advertisement from third parties and editorial independence blah blah.

(Five pages.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-opposite

Is Labour's manifesto living in fantasy land? Quite the opposite
A somewhat different tone from that (pretty disgraceful) Observer editorial.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

seeingclearly wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
He will be challenged immediately, even if he tries to hang on.

The size of the defeat is going to be immense, and the anger and fury palpable. Pointing to a few percentage points isn't going to help him. Labour now trails the Tory party in every social class, surely the first time that has ever happened.

It is less clear to me that he will try and stay on, with a huge majority of Labour members already expressing a clear preference that he should resign if he loses. I suspect even Corbyn will bow to the utter and total rejection by the electorate.
Not from where I am sitting, it doesn't. Trail the tories etc. etc. And I know people from all walks of life bar the upper crust. Mostly currently in work. Except the young. Most seem to think the tories have taken them far further than they ever believed was possible. In the wrong direction. And are worrying for their childrens futures. Not sure the utter rejection you describe will materialise. I have been quite surprised by how many are paying great attention to events. I guess I was used to being told most of them are apathetic, but au contraire, they do not seem to be. Maybe Mrs May has triggered a shudder of revulsion for what she advocates. We shall see.......

Yes. I think the result will indeed reveal whether ​your sample is representative.

I predict not.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Sun 14 May, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Stop trying to delegitimise,belittle others people,situation and views,cheers.

Not a fucking game to all of us.

statement.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I've just made some chocolate chip muffins, if anyone needs some cheering up. It's all feels a bit flat, at the moment. I still think it would serve Theresa May right if people were to come out on June 8th and vote exactly the same as last time. I'm just not feeling much engagement with this election out in the regular world. Even the one Tessa Munt sign I've seen so far was gently listing, in a sad sort of way. Probably never even got around to taking it down from last time....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:I've just made some chocolate chip muffins, if anyone needs some cheering up. It's all feels a bit flat, at the moment. I still think it would serve Theresa May right if people were to come out on June 8th and vote exactly the same as last time. I'm just not feeling much engagement with this election out in the regular world. Even the one Tessa Munt sign I've seen so far was gently listing, in a sad sort of way. Probably never even got around to taking it down from last time....
You're wonderful
Mr citizen just got back from canvassing
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

HindleA wrote:Stop trying to delegitimise,belittle others people,situation and views,cheers.

statement.
It most certainly isn't a game.

Which is why anecdotes that are contrary to the overwhelming evidence need to be challenged.

If we want to effect change in a democracy we need to be ruthless. As ruthless as the Tories are. Silly over optimism is counterproductive, put at its lowest.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

I think that when you have had your arse comprehensively handed to you on a plate by Emily Thornberry, you probably need to consider alternative careers.

Given Fallons only obvious talent, fluffer would be perfect for him.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
HindleA wrote:Stop trying to delegitimise,belittle others people,situation and views,cheers.

statement.

Which is why anecdotes that are contrary to the overwhelming evidence need to be challenged.

If we want to effect change in a democracy we need to be ruthless. As ruthless as the Tories are. Silly over optimism is counterproductive, put at its lowest.
The thing is anecdote is not evidence. I can list a steady stream of lifelong Labour voters who have told me they won't vote for Corbyn. But it doesn't prove anything, local elections and polls provide evidence.

It has been noted that even Corbyn's closest allies are airbrushing him from literature, which isn't what I would expect if SC's anecdote reflected reality.
Release the Guardvarks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I think that when you have had your arse comprehensively handed to you on a plate by Emily Thornberry, you probably need to consider alternative careers.

Given Fallons only obvious talent, fluffer would be perfect for him.
Thank Damien McBride, who is at least able.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not anecdotes I was referring to of course,you either "see it " or you don't.

I leave it there.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"...by all rational calculations their situation was not merely desperate but impossible. Any strategy for survival, therefore, could not completely defer to reality; Shackleton's tactics always involved a dangerous gamble of morale against practical necessity. The last thing he needed was for the men to hear...grim invocations of the laws of science and reason."

- Caroline Alexander
The Endurance: Shackleton’s Legendary Antarctic Expedition
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Shackleton didn't lose a single member of that expedition
He achieved none of his original goals
He achieved one of the finest accounts of human ingenuity and heroism
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2017/05/bluff ... n-act-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bluffers guide to the homelessness reduction act
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

SpinningHugo wrote:

statement.

Who said it is silly optimism? Only you. I was reporting that there is zero enthusiasm for a tory win in my neck of the woods and among the people I know. Zero. I don't believe that will translate into a win, but it is certainly very different from the dubious comments that got thrown around about 'weak' Ed, and there has been a sea change on Corbyn, and people I thought would never support him seem to be. These include a bevy of former schoolmates, who like me were privately educated, people who have worked in the media, people working or who did till recently work in council employment, people who are carers, and a mixture of free floating people of various ages, quite a few who have worked both here and abroad. Not convinced by Ed, but wanted a Labour win last time, some not voters usually, but this time round sick enough of the ever rightward march we are on to want to stop it. Like most people they have children, or siblings, or parents, or friends who are now feeling the heavy end of the tory stick.

I am fine with you saying this is anecdotal. It is your perpetual sneer that gets to me, as if nobodies experience or opinion is more valid than yours.

I spent a large portion of last year in the (hot topic of the moment) NHS, was there for the referendum and its aftermath. Many people working there then were outraged at the way things were going and voted out, and for Farage, seeing him as potentially an answer (blame the BBC), now his party has shown itself to be the hollow promise it always has been you can bet they are the UKIP renegers, and you can bet they won't be voting tory either.

So my guess is, contrary to what the media would have you believe, and contrary to your own spin, Hugo, that things are rather closer than you think. There are a lot of marginals. The last election was not the lansdslide the tories proclaimed. This time England is aware of the difference that changes in Scotland have made. My prediction is that The tories will win, perhaps with a slightly increased majority of seats, but that Labour will take an increased share of the vote, but will still be fighting fit, as they seem to be now, surprisingly.

Then it will be whether May can survive for five yesrs. She is looking knackered now, and hasn't got any charm or charisma at all. Things could change, but I am not predicting results on that. I am as pragmatic as I can be on this, I know there is, contrary to what you always say, a huge media machine rooting for the tories, todays efforts included. But don't you dare imply that good socialist democracy is gone from here, when all around I see signs it is alive and kicking.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-co ... ce=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warwick councillor suspended over 'racist' Eurovision tweet