Tuesday 16th May 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Tuesday 16th May 2017

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:When I read stuff like the comments on this Twitter feed, I start to worry that 200 seats is wildly over-optimistic. What the hell is wrong with people?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said....voters have to be accountable for their beliefs and their actions......whinging 'but I don't like that Corbyn bloke' and voting Tory and posting some of the things I have read suggest there are more deep-seated problems with British society
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Willow904 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Len being helpful

http://www.politico.eu/article/len-mccl ... -2017/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Realistic, really. Minimising losses to under 50 is the best I'm hoping for myself. Mind you, people keep saying how Kinnock got another chance, but he did win seats. No one would argue about Corbyn staying on if he managed that, I wouldn't have thought.
200 would it is claimed be the worst result since 1935. Certainly 9 worse than 1983.

But yes If Corbyn won seats and denied May a majority, or came close to it, then everybody needs to reassess because all polls and election results are massively wrong.

As it is, spread betting and polls say 150-160 ish, which could put Labour back to a level last seen in the 1920s.
Release the Guardvarks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:

http://www.politico.eu/article/len-mccl ... -2017/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Realistic, really. Minimising losses to under 50 is the best I'm hoping for myself. Mind you, people keep saying how Kinnock got another chance, but he did win seats. No one would argue about Corbyn staying on if he managed that, I wouldn't have thought.
Yes he isn't going to do that.
He'll make his case based on vote share, which is a bit like a football manager saying ignore the goals, look at the possession stats.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

200 would it is claimed be the worst result since 1935. Certainly 9 worse than 1983.

But yes If Corbyn won seats and denied May a majority, or came close to it, then everybody needs to reassess because all polls and election results are massively wrong.

As it is, spread betting and polls say 150-160 ish, which could put Labour back to a level last seen in the 1920s.
Even Corbyn ought to beat JR Clynes.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Willow904 wrote:When I read stuff like the comments on this Twitter feed, I start to worry that 200 seats is wildly over-optimistic. What the hell is wrong with people?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is because 200 seats is wildly optimistic. Labour aren't on course to get anywhere close to that.

People don't like what is on the menu, and they particularly dislike the current owner of the establishment. They are going elsewhere. Democracy is about identifying a platform most people will vote for and offering it with a leader that most people like and trust (at least a little) Labour have failed to do that, there is a price to be paid.

In fact elements of the manifesto are popular but the whole is massively less than the sum of its parts.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Yes he isn't going to do that.
He'll make his case based on vote share, which is a bit like a football manager saying ignore the goals, look at the possession stats.

shit analogy

unfortunately we have a poor electoral system....of course seats are the deciding factor but votes do as well......that is what individuals cast.

You can choose who you vote for, you cannot (usually) choose the seat in which it is cast

If 32-33% of people vote Labour it will be the highest vote percentage since 2005 - not far off that number either

The fact that some of those in marginals in places like the West Midlands have decided to go Tory is something we have to live with.

To be honest if the vote for this Tory Government and this Prime Minister then they are probably selfish wankers or ignorant.

I am from there and know some of these people - and I stand by my description of most of them.......

We will see when the results come in as to whether the swing to the Tories (as assumed) is Labour -> Tory or UKIP -> Tory
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

If we have to serve a menu that the despicable apologies for human beings on that twitter feed want to eat from then I am quite glad we aren't giving them what they want

If the choose the Tory offer over Labour - which they have the right to as electors - then the only response would be to go and offer them something similar to whet their appetite

So a tough line on immigration, the hardest of Brexit whilst insulting the negotiating partners, continued cuts to services, continued cuts to the NHS in particular, improved 'security' - whatever the fuck that means (usually bombing somebody in the Middle east) and tax cuts for the rich

That is what is on offer from the Tories!

If they actually choose to eat shit food because they don't like the owner of the restaurant then, again that is their choice, but don't come complaining when it makes you ill!
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Tue 16 May, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

One way in which the manifesto is a triumph for Corbyn is that it has closed off the ability for Labour to go back.

So, there won't be any convincing people that Labour isn't the party of tax and spend for a generation.

You couldn't use Labour as a vehicle for a New Labour agenda any longer: it would lack all credibility

Regardless of what happens, Corbyn has won.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:One way in which the manifesto is a triumph for Corbyn is that it has closed off the ability for Labour to go back.

So, there won't be any convincing people that Labour isn't the party of tax and spend for a generation.

You couldn't use Labour as a vehicle for a New Labour agenda any longer: it would lack all credibility

It was only five years from 'Labour's Tax Bombshell!' to 'New Labour, New Danger'.

Anyway, all parties tax and spend. The slogan is meaningless. The difference is on whether you can be proud of what you spend it on.
The 92 manifesto was much more conservative than this one. I'd have to go back and look at 87, which I remember much less vividly than 83 (which I *really* believed in.)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:People don't like what is on the menu, and they particularly dislike the current owner of the establishment. They are going elsewhere. Democracy is about identifying a platform most people will vote for and offering it with a leader that most people like and trust (at least a little) Labour have failed to do that, there is a price to be paid.

In fact elements of the manifesto are popular but the whole is massively less than the sum of its parts.
More than elements http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 31536.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People didn't like or trust Ed Miliband, not enough. Or Gordon Brown. Or Neil Kinnock. Labour's problem is that while the ownership and regulation of the media is as it is, they will not get a hearing and their leader will be trashed. This is not unique to Corbyn.

Serious question, how do you think we should regulate the media to achieve this? We could insist on diversification, but Murdoch doesn't own that much.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

And some parties tax and cut but manage to find some money down the back of the sofa for their well paid mates!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:People don't like what is on the menu, and they particularly dislike the current owner of the establishment. They are going elsewhere. Democracy is about identifying a platform most people will vote for and offering it with a leader that most people like and trust (at least a little) Labour have failed to do that, there is a price to be paid.

More than elements http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 31536.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People didn't like or trust Ed Miliband, not enough. Or Gordon Brown. Or Neil Kinnock. Labour's problem is that while the ownership and regulation of the media is as it is, they will not get a hearing and their leader will be trashed. This is not unique to Corbyn.

Serious question, how do you think we should regulate the media to achieve this? We could insist on diversification, but Murdoch doesn't own that much.
No ownership by non-residents of the UK (perhaps even foreign nationals- Brexit would possibly allow this)

Nobody can own above X% of the printed media

Nobody can own above Y% of the total print and broadcast media

Independent regulator with teeth to ensure untruths are dealt with appropriately

Would have to be updated to include other forms of media too

That would do for:

NewUK (wholly owned subsiduary of News Corp
Daily Mail owned by non-resident Harmsworth through DMG media
Telegraph (non resident Barclays)

seems a good start!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Thornberry on channel 4

https://www.channel4.com/news/programme ... 05/16/1900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

No ownership by non-residents of the UK (perhaps even foreign nationals- Brexit would possibly allow this)

Nobody can own above X% of the printed media

Nobody can own above Y% of the total print and broadcast media

Independent regulator with teeth to ensure untruths are dealt with appropriately

Would have to be updated to include other forms of media too

That would do for:

NewUK (wholly owned subsiduary of News Corp
Daily Mail owned by non-resident Harmsworth through DMG media
Telegraph (non resident Barclays)

seems a good start![/quote]

I don't think any of the ownership things work make a scrap of difference.

I'm interested in this regulator though. How do you envisage that working. Fines?

TBH, seems daft to me.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... avoid-jail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An Oxford University student who stabbed her boyfriend with a bread knife .... She admitted unlawfully wounding the Cambridge University student, who she met on the dating app Tinder....Judge Ian Pringle QC, sitting at Oxford crown court, .... hinting that Woodward will not be jailed because of her talent. “It seems to me that if this was a one-off, a complete one-off, to prevent this extraordinary able young lady from not following her long-held desire to enter the profession she wishes to would be a sentence which would be too severe,” he said.
as opposed to:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/aug ... orts-freed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ursula Nevin slept through riots in Manchester but was jailed after accepting a pair of shorts looted by a friend
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Thornberry on channel 4

https://www.channel4.com/news/programme ... 05/16/1900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and your point is?

It is always the case when you give details based on assumptions and predictions that people can try to pin you down on things - it is an easy task

The assumption is growth will be X%, the question is what if it isn't?

The assumption is Brexit will have this effect, what if it has a bigger effect?

Infaltion is assumed to be this, what if it is greater?

Interest rates are assumed to be this, what if they are higher?

The Labour Party have put out their manifesto in more detail on the spending and funding plans than have been seen for a long time

Let us see what the Tories plans are - perhaps ee could look at their predictions from the 2015 manifesto on their website....oh now we can't can we because the took it off after they broke all their commitments, had some blocked (would that be by the useless opposition?) and completely blew everything away by managing to lose their own referendum

Knock Labour if you wish, and they should be challenged on the figures, but let us see whst the Tory 'menu' contains before you cotinue your snidey attacks on the party you keep pretending you support
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

and your point is?

It is always the case when you give details based on assumptions and predictions that people can try to pin you down on things - it is an easy task

The Labour Party have put out their manifesto in more detail on the spending and funding plans than have been seen for a long time

Let us see what the Tories plans are - perhaps ee could look at their predictions from the 2015 manifesto on their website....oh now we can't can we because the took it off after they broke all their commitments, had some blocked (would that be by the useless opposition?) and completely blew everything away by managing to lose their own referendum

Knock Labour if you wish, and they should be challenged on the figures, but let us see whst the Tory 'menu' contains before you cotinue your snidey attacks on the party you keep pretending you support
I don't think that is fair on Miliband and Balls. Their figures really were fully costed. The current ones aren't: see the IFS.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
We have neither left the EU or the single market as yet. It's perfectly possible to remain. Unlikely perhaps. Unpopular perhaps. But if only the likely and popular are allowed, all the parties would be offering the same - hard Brexit. Is that democracy? Why can't alternatives be offered?
The point is, it's not going to happen. How can it? The LibDems have gone back to promising whatever they like knowing they'll never have to deliver.

There are alternatives being offered, anyway. If nothing else the Tories are still pushing that no deal is possible, and Labour is promising that they won't walk away without one. Labour's position is distinct and a lot softer than the Tory approach.
I'm not disagreeing that the Libdems have little chance of forming a government, but why does that make their fighting Brexit "cynical"? By your definition they're being cynical for offering any policies at all. I know people were let down over tuition fees, I know that makes it harder for them to convince people they are genuine, but my point is that the Libdems have always been very pro-EU. If they were previously Eurosceptic and switched because they thought there was votes in it......well, that's what May did in reverse and that is cynical - but Farron hoping a long standing Libdem pro-EU stance may prove popular with remain voters is cynical? Really?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

and your point is?

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

@George_Osborne
Today's @EveningStandard take on the Labour Manifesto - and the first look at the new M&S collection
He's like a new Shakespeare
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The Donaeld:
Donaeld The Unready‏ @donaeldunready 4h4 hours ago
Kinging difficult enough without folc bringing Intelligence into it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

THE LABOUR PARTY MANIFESTO 2017

http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/manifesto2017
That's a real pretty piece of work, pagination gorgeous, works real well on a mobile device
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Not wanting to criticise Miliband - I was a fan but the IFS seemed to indicate it wasn't quite as you said with such confidence

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/7726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Evening Mr Snozers
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
I'm not disagreeing that the Libdems have little chance of forming a government, but why does that make their fighting Brexit "cynical"? By your definition they're being cynical for offering any policies at all. I know people were let down over tuition fees, I know that makes it harder for them to convince people they are genuine, but my point is that the Libdems have always been very pro-EU. If they were previously Eurosceptic and switched because they thought there was votes in it......well, that's what May did in reverse and that is cynical - but Farron hoping a long standing Libdem pro-EU stance may prove popular with remain voters is cynical? Really?
There's a difference between accepting the reality that they would be unlikely to be in government and proposing policies they'd never be able to implement even if they were.
Of course the Libdems could prevent Brexit or keep us in the single market if people voted them into government to do so. I'm really not following what you're trying to say tbh.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

17 Years Since Cats

https://markneary1dotcom1.wordpress.com ... ince-cats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Burgon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-h ... march-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Press release
UK House Price Index (HPI) for March 2017

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... n-apr-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Official Statistics
Index of private housing rental prices (IPHRP) in Great Britain: Apr 2017
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 16 May, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... up-to-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Official Statistics
Population trends of UK bat species up to 2016
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... n-apr-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Statistics
UK consumer price inflation: Apr 2017

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... o-mar-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Statistics
UK services producer price indices: Jan to March 2017

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... o-mar-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Official Statistics
Construction output price indices (OPIs): UK, Jan to Mar 2017
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

SpinningHugo wrote:One way in which the manifesto is a triumph for Corbyn is that it has closed off the ability for Labour to go back.

Don't you mean for the members who voted for him and the direction he wanted to take the party? It's not about Corbyn.

What it also means is that Labour must now continue to build support and make a convincing case for these values. And that in the face of the, generally admitted, shameless bias and passivity of our media. It was always going to be hard. Kinnock's double failure should have taught us that.

By the way, I been 'lurking' for years on this forum and the assumptions you (appear to?) make about human nature appal me. They are also the root of your own woes, IMO. You may be left wing but only just, if at all.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AFinch wrote:

Don't you mean for the members who voted for him and the direction he wanted to take the party? It's not about Corbyn.

What it also means is that Labour must now continue to build support and make a convincing case for these values. And that in the face of the, generally admitted, shameless bias and passivity of our media. It was always going to be hard. Kinnock's double failure should have taught us that.

By the way, I been 'lurking' for years on this forum and the assumptions you (appear to?) make about human nature appal me. They are also the root of your own woes, IMO. You may be left wing but only just, if at all.

What woes?

I am a jolly cheery chap.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

You know these £gotcha" numbers questions that have been asked of McDonnell, Thornberry and now Burgon today. Journos never tried these with Brown and Balls.

Have a guess why not?

(Clue: not because the MSM used to be pro-Labour).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@AFinch

[youtube]KfymmFs1kJg[/youtube]
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:
@George_Osborne
Today's @EveningStandard take on the Labour Manifesto - and the first look at the new M&S collection
He's like a new Shakespeare
Genius. Best one liner of the day.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@AFinch
Welcome
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:You know these £gotcha" numbers questions that have been asked of McDonnell, Thornberry and now Burgon today. Journos never tried these with Brown and Balls.

Have a guess why not?

(Clue: not because the MSM used to be pro-Labour).
To be fair Burgon is thick, asking him the time of day is going to seriously tax him.

The manifesto is really a program for feel good opposition, it doesn't have to stack up because nobody is really worried about Labour winning. In those circumstances, faced with any sort of questioning even Einstein is going to struggle.

It does at least show there are alternatives if you choose to go there. It can be used to attack May on that basis.

It is annoying though that they have succumbed so badly to shambolic amateurism. It looked decent but chucking in the water thing at the back end is just stupid, sort of the uncosted shit load of bricks that caused the whole thing to collapse.

They have also fallen into the trap of wanting to massively raise tax but not asking people to pay more, except for the top 5% (who clearly can't pay for it all). The corporation tax won't raise what they expect and people will read between the lines and work out taxes will be raised for middle income earners as well. Having no figures to quantify this they will probably assume the worst.

Also that 73% tax band looks bad from a PR perspective, they could have fixed that at relatively little cost and shown fairness.

I am not sure though this matters beyond 2017, and it probably doesn't really matter now. There may not be a viable Labour Party in 2022, and if there is the post Brexit economy will be completely different, and possibly completely broken.

Labour's one hope is a competent center left leader emerges and benefits when May collapses the economy with her car crash Brexit. Right now only the car crash Brexit seems likely.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA

:sleep:
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good night cja

PF :night night

Night PF.
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 17 May, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]M90BHwNXn-0[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]b9434BoGkNQ[/youtube]