Friday, 2nd June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday, 2nd June 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Election 2017: Theresa May 'refuses to take part in local and regional interviews'
Prime Minister has opted to not participate in a series of media appearances in the run up to the general election
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 68501.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(local and regional BBC)
They said leaders of other parties had agreed to be interviewed and staff had been told not to comment publicly about the prime minister's withdrawal.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/el ... cial-care/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I know we really shouldn't be getting our hopes up as we'll almost certainly have then dashed but...
Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 4m4 minutes ago
More
Satisfied / Dissatisfied ratings:

T. May: 43 / 50 (!)
J. Corbyn: 39 / 50
T. Farron: 25 / 44
P. Nuttall: 18 / 55

(via @Ipsos Mori)

More Britons dissatisfied (50%) than satisfied (43%) with Theresa May as PM - first time ever w/ Ipsos Mori.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If Tories can buy their way out of their current boondoggle, they'll do it
Fortunately, some things can't be bought
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Remember those days when Corbyn was supposedly "less popular than Nuttall"? IN LONDON??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Remember those days when Corbyn was supposedly "less popular than Nuttall"? IN LONDON??
Hopefully the campaign has put to bed the idea that Corbyn is 'unelectable' and proved the people peddling that shtick are know nothing blowhards with a tory lite agenda.

Jess Phillips attacking Dianne Abbot as snidely as she possibly could with Whitingdale today means it is just a hope, though.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

If there's one place where I wouldn't mind seeing a "shock" LibDem gain from Labour......

(though it has to be said, John Hemming is also a self-publicising arse)
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:If there's one place where I wouldn't mind seeing a "shock" LibDem gain from Labour......

(though it has to be said, John Hemming is also a self-publicising arse)
It is, as has been said before, like a choice between gonorrhea and syphilis.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear!

Lib Dem spoof estate agency website ‘May and Co’ mocking Tory dementia tax backfires

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/pol ... backfires/
When the Lib Dems set up a spoof estate agency called “May and Co” they were hoping to draw attention to the Conservatives’ so-called dementia tax that would cost people their homes – but it seems they had forgotten to Google the name before the launch.

Unfortunately for the party, May and Co already exists – and it’s an estate agency which has been based in the London borough of Chelsea since 1920.
:D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just a bit of what Ed Miliband said on the World at One:
When it was put to him that May has said she expressed disappointment about Trump’s decision, Miliband replied:

Disappointment is when your football team loses a match. It is not when somebody makes a devastating decision like this. America is one of the two largest emitters in the world, along with China. This decision was backed by every country in the world apart from Syria, which is in the middle of a civil war, and Nicaragua, which wanted us to go further. American leadership was so important to this.
(Politics Live, Guardian - 14.05)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Alan Johnson, blimey.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-cover-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scottish government officials accused of 'cash for votes' cover-up
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Brexit (brought to you by those most-trusted-with-economy Tories)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 66536.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Soros says Brexit negotiations will last years and cause `immense damage'
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Fri 02 Jun, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

And I see Joan Ryan is doing her bit now. Shameless.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 69616.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Liar Liar' band Captain Ska to protest outside Radio One over refusal to play anti-Theresa May song
should be happening about now
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Temulkar wrote:And I see Joan Ryan is doing her bit now. Shameless.
Yeah Jessica Elgot saying "candidates" say blah blah blah

Then it turns out to be sodding Joan Ryan.

I didn't even bother replying further.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 68581.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
British Airways system outage 'caused by IT worker accidentally switching off power supply’
PF?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Captain Ska:
The latest version was released less than a week ago and profits are to be donated to foodbanks and an anti-austerity campaign group.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Why it's scarcely worth the emotional energy hoping Trump is impeached or, you know, croaks it...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"For some reason".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

"For the left"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'm vaguely fascinated (in a ghoulish way) about the degree to which people hate other people.
What's the emotional need that drives the cognitive dissonance of eg: climate change denial?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 68581.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
British Airways system outage 'caused by IT worker accidentally switching off power supply’
PF?
That (if it is what happened) shouldn't have killed the entire mission-critical system. There should have been enough built-in redundancy to keep the business going, at least in 'emergency' mode.
Where were the backup systems, copy databases etc? All plugged into the same UPS?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Afternoon all.

I made the mistake of going swimming just as the heavens opened and got soaked even before going in.

Driving home, it's obvious where most of the water is - near the houses which have had the gardens paved over and made into driveways. :roll:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
PF?
That (if it is what happened) shouldn't have killed the entire mission-critical system. There should have been enough built-in redundancy to keep the business going, at least in 'emergency' mode.
Where were the backup systems, copy databases etc? All plugged into the same UPS?
Indeed. One would hope so.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I'm vaguely fascinated (in a ghoulish way) about the degree to which people hate other people.
What's the emotional need that drives the cognitive dissonance of eg: climate change denial?
Is it hatred of other people causing their denial of climate change? I don't think so. Hatred is a secondary phenomenon climate change denialist feel having to acknowledge they're outside the bounds of rational thinking and action. People don't like change. They don't like inconvenience. The thought of having to down the fossil fuel based economy is scary and intolerable.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

You're probably right.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all.

I made the mistake of going swimming just as the heavens opened and got soaked even before going in.

Driving home, it's obvious where most of the water is - near the houses which have had the gardens paved over and made into driveways. :roll:
It's the ugliest look I've ever seen, those paved gardens made into driveways
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The pollen, pollution and who knows what in my atmosphere has made me one sad citizen today. Imagine the feeling of ten thousand midges hovering and moving on the surface of your entire head.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:You're probably right.
I don't know. I didn't listen to the blustering person interviewed from the link up yonder regarding, 'left wing climate change'. I noted the words and quickly left the site. That person likely operates from a hateful place inside.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
PF?
I read something saying it wasn't the power going off that was the problem, it was it coming back on on an uncontrolled manner. Maybe it automatically switched to a backup system, then switched back to a now compromised, primary system which could then replicate some.corrupted files onto the standby.
It would be fascinating to know.
..or, maybe not.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A global competition, sort of like the Olympics
The contest - create the least polluting international transportation
Sailing vessels, solar powered trains, ships...
It's a damned shame fossil fuel kingpins can't reconfigure their wealth portfolios and leave the world a better place for living creatures
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Walking?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Motorists speeding past the flat going at least fifty mph
It's a thirty mph zone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Walking?
Yep
Charles Dickens was known to regularly trek twenty miles in a day
Many of his contemporaries did the same
Prior to taking up agricultural pursuits, nomadic human beings did twenty mile walks daily
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinybgoat wrote: I read something saying it wasn't the power going off that was the problem, it was it coming back on on an uncontrolled manner. Maybe it automatically switched to a backup system, then switched back to a now compromised, primary system which could then replicate some.corrupted files onto the standby.
..or, maybe not.
Even a PC doesn't recover automatically from a loss of power. When the power is restored it gives you a message and pauses to let you decide how to continue. I would have thought that if it was possible to screw up the BA system, it would have halted until somebody with the appropriate expertise recovered it from the backup system (if there was one).

Maybe that expertise is in India - who knows? It's easy to say what should have happened, after it didn't happen!
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

The Guardian view on our vote: it’s Labour

Jeremy Corbyn has shown that the party might be the start of something big rather than the last gasp of something small
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... its-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.politico.eu/article/germany- ... le-for-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the scenario where the U.K. and the EU fail to strike a trade deal and fall back on World Trade Organization rules, the study predicts the U.K. economy would lose 1.7 percent of economic output over the long-term, while German and EU GDP would be 0.2 percent and 0.3 percent below their previous pre-Brexit trajectories, respectively.
So EU can model the effects of no deal (including on UK), but Tories can't.?
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

citizenJA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:I'm vaguely fascinated (in a ghoulish way) about the degree to which people hate other people.
Is it hatred of other people causing their denial of climate change? I don't think so. Hatred is a secondary phenomenon climate change denialist feel having to acknowledge they're outside the bounds of rational thinking and action. People don't like change. They don't like inconvenience. The thought of having to down the fossil fuel based economy is scary and intolerable.
Afternoon folks,
This article discusses the causal links between religiosity, right wingness and climate change denialism. Fascinating, if a little disturbing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... a076c0a26d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to add link.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Leo Varadkar has won the vote to become Ireland's next Taoiseach. (BBC)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
tinybgoat wrote: I read something saying it wasn't the power going off that was the problem, it was it coming back on on an uncontrolled manner. Maybe it automatically switched to a backup system, then switched back to a now compromised, primary system which could then replicate some.corrupted files onto the standby.
..or, maybe not.
Even a PC doesn't recover automatically from a loss of power. When the power is restored it gives you a message and pauses to let you decide how to continue. I would have thought that if it was possible to screw up the BA system, it would have halted until somebody with the appropriate expertise recovered it from the backup system (if there was one).

Maybe that expertise is in India - who knows? It's easy to say what should have happened, after it didn't happen!
Many (though not all) pcs can be set in bios to reboot automatically on power being restored, so it is possible, just not always a good idea. I wouldn't think this was likely, but their systems are presumably complex & hard to test (because of lack of quiet periods), so it would be interesting to know what happened.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
The Guardian view on our vote: it’s Labour

Jeremy Corbyn has shown that the party might be the start of something big rather than the last gasp of something small
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... its-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm happy.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 69811.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit is the most important single development in British foreign policy since declaring war on Germany in 1939. It is also arguably the worst unforced error ever in British history
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The attractiveness of May to the electorate is in keeping with a traditional English liking for authoritarian female rulers as exemplified by Queen Elizabeth I, Margaret Thatcher and Judy Dench as ‘M’ in the James Bond movies.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

This audience never watched Threads then. Or learnt nothing from it.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Indeed, when it comes to playing a weak political hand without buckling, as will be necessary during the Brexit negotiations, all the evidence is that Corbyn is much tougher and more resilient under pressure than the Prime Minister.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

May revels in an embarrassing way in once having been called “a bloody difficult woman”, but nobody ever called Corbyn “a bloody difficult man” because it would be too obvious to be worth saying.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:This audience never watched Threads then. Or learnt nothing from it.
Unfair, plenty didn't agree with the spamheads. Thank heavens for that young woman :)
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

HOw did he do?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Temulkar wrote:HOw did he do?
Pretty well apart from that "wobble" over nukes. Though polls show most people support a "no first use" policy anyway.

But really, that spamhead ranting on about "what if we are attacked by Iran or NORTH KOREA"!?! In what universe, exactly??

At least back in the 80s "the Russians" were a vaguely credible bogeyman.