Tuesday 6th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Tuesday 6th June 2017

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all. A great piece and essential reading for many here and the commentariat.

'We were told Corbyn was ‘unelectable’. His fightback shows he’s anything but.'

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... al-climate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 6th June 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Tomorrow would be a good time for Jeremy Corbyn to say that he would cancel Donald Trump's visit (and Sadiq Khan and\or his people should stay vocal on the subject). Any earlier and Theresa May would simply copy Labour if she thought it would work to her advantage.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Meanwhile, over at the Guardian Politics Live, I've just noticed this:
CommunityMod
23m ago
Staff
0 1

Comments were launched here in error and will close shortly.
Keep calm and carry on!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think that makes it 5 days now (since June 2nd when the Thanet charges were announced) that comment hasn't been free. I understand the Thanet comments embargo, and having one in the immediate aftermath of the London attacks, but . . .

(I don't know why I'm moaning, since I don't comment over at the Guardian, but I'll moan anyway.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Met set to lose frontline officers under cuts

Sadiq Khan has warned that the Met faces losing frontline officers, Press Association reports:

The Metropolitan police is facing the loss of thousands of frontline officers under Conservative spending plans, London mayor Sadiq Khan has warned. (Politics Live, Guardian)
And, as an aside, the Banksy free poster offer has (predictably) misfired.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

In the latest episode of "WTF is happening, I can't keep up", the editor of the New Statesman calls the Guardian (are you ready for this?) "Corbynite Pravda".

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But at least there are some things in life you can always rely on:

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Wet and very windy here, and we had a momentary power cut during the night which I means I need to reset the timer. Oh. and a house in the area was raided.

All in all, not a great start to the day.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Have we all seen the Greg Knight campaign video? Apparently it is genuine...

[youtube]Gt7lWRtfve8[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Have we all seen the Greg Knight campaign video? Apparently it is genuine...

[youtube]Gt7lWRtfve8[/youtube]
Is that beat combo number on general release? Where can I buy a copy?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

As I noted the other day.
James Morrison‏
@morralexand
Follow
More
Replying to @StewartWood @lewis_baston
FT noted the other day that there have been none of the usual "captains of industry" letters to the @Telegraph this time.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:

Sadiq Khan has warned that the Met faces losing frontline officers, Press Association reports:

The Metropolitan police is facing the loss of thousands of frontline officers under Conservative spending plans, London mayor Sadiq Khan has warned. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Boris Johnson was on BBC this morning, saying Sadiq Khan could find the necessary money for the Met by selling off superfluous property assets, like he did. The interviewer was on the ball enough to point out that Khan couldn't sell them again, but the general point that using asset sales to fund day to day spending is not only poor financial management, but actually illegal for councils and wouldn't pass audit could have been pressed home a bit more. Cameron used to make the same jaw-dropping suggestion about council funding. It raises a lot of questions about these people's competence to govern. I'd actually trust the average Conservative council chair to run things more than some of these pumped up public schoolboy MPs.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Diane Abbott, the shadow home secretary, was due to take part in a Woman’s Hour election debate at 9am with Amber Rudd, the home secretary, and others.

But she has just pulled out on the grounds that she’s unwell. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I'm not saying anything - other than to say that I'm sorry to hear that Diane Abbott is unfit.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Boris Johnson was on BBC this morning, saying Sadiq Khan could find the necessary money for the Met by selling off superfluous property assets, like he did. The interviewer was on the ball enough to point out that Khan couldn't sell them again, but the general point that using asset sales to fund day to day spending is not only poor financial management, but actually illegal for councils and wouldn't pass audit could have been pressed home a bit more. Cameron used to make the same jaw-dropping suggestion about council funding. It raises a lot of questions about these people's competence to govern. I'd actually trust the average Conservative council chair to run things more than some of these pumped up public schoolboy MPs.
Surely those very valuable water cannon that Boris Johnson acquired are still kicking around somewhere.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Former Tory party chair joins calls for Trump's state visit to be cancelled

On Newsnight last night Sayeeda Warsi, the former Conservative party chair, joined those calling for President Trump’s state visit to be cancelled in the light of his attacks on the London mayor. (Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BBC Woman's Hour debate

The Woman’s Hour debate has just started.

Emily Thornberry, the shadow foreign secretary, is standing in for Diane Abbott. (Politics Live, Guardian)
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Re Johnson (I will never call him 'Boris' on principle):

More interested to learn that he'll be happy to welcome Trump to London, and doesn't see it as his job to intervene in a dispute between Trump and his predecessor.

I'm quite taken with the argument that jollifying this truly despicable shit of a man on HIGNFY etc was one of the harbingers of our current malaise.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:
Diane Abbott, the shadow home secretary, was due to take part in a Woman’s Hour election debate at 9am with Amber Rudd, the home secretary, and others.

But she has just pulled out on the grounds that she’s unwell. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I'm not saying anything - other than to say that I'm sorry to hear that Diane Abbott is unfit.
Freudian slap?
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Woman's Hour -
A questioner asks why the UK is selling arms to Saudi Arabia.

[Amber]Rudd claims Home Office report into Saudi funding of extremism was never intended for publication.

As the Guardian reports today, that is not what David Cameron told Tim Farron. (Politics Live, Guardian)
How many lies is that now?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

But they are doing asset sales already with the NHS -- see the NAYLOR report . /crazy rip-off)

On cut in Police numbers, if you include the (essential) police staff, and PCSO's, the total is more like 45000, graphic here --

https://www.unison.org.uk/news/article/ ... y-numbers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

( Thornberry doin well on WH, but I've got to go !)
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TM getting worried?
Theresa May has warned Scots that the loss of just six seats will see her ousted from Downing Street on Thursday as a new poll shows Labour has closed the gap down to just one point.
I would have thought she could have pencilled in a date with a firm nearer Downing Street:
Speaking during a visit to a removal firm in Edinburgh, Mrs May admitted that the election could be in the balance.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/g ... -1-4466919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Actually, I've had a change of mind. Today would be a good day for Jeremy Corbyn to say that he'd cancel the Donald Trump visit. In case of the (unlikely) event that Theresa May says it first. But she's under pressure.

This is one of the few (the only?) justifiable "plucky Brits v the others" things that Labour can safely latch onto. Grab it.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Eric_WLothian wrote:TM getting worried?
Theresa May has warned Scots that the loss of just six seats will see her ousted from Downing Street on Thursday as a new poll shows Labour has closed the gap down to just one point.
I would have thought she could have pencilled in a date with a firm nearer Downing Street:
Speaking during a visit to a removal firm in Edinburgh, Mrs May admitted that the election could be in the balance.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/g ... -1-4466919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Given that you can all but guarantee that the (probably) ten-ish Unionist party MPs in Northern Ireland would support a Conservative government, even this nonsense is nonsense.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:

It's big news. The Guardian have dedicated a piece to it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

TV News is making quite a thing of it, too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Most probably she went off sick after that car-crash on Sky last night that has been shared widely.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've received a leaflet from the Libertarian Party UK. The candidate is apparently an editor and proofreader by trade. Imagine my desolation when I couldn't find a single typo. (Mind you, the leaflet was very short on words.)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:I've received a leaflet from the Libertarian Party UK. The candidate is apparently an editor and proofreader by trade. Imagine my desolation when I couldn't find a single typo. (Mind you, the leaflet was very short on words.)
"Do as thou wilt" shall be the whole of the law?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Well, I'd say this is pretty definitive evidence of BBC bias.

(Yesterday's Daily Politics segment on terror, edited by R. Gibb, presented by A.F.Neil)
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Seriously, click on that link. It is the most flagrant example I have ever posted on here, and it certainly has the most shocked and unified response to the original tweet I've ever seen.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

NonOxCol wrote:Well, I'd say this is pretty definitive evidence of BBC bias.

(Yesterday's Daily Politics segment on terror, edited by R. Gibb, presented by A.F.Neil)
Brother of Tory parliamentaran Nick Gibb.

All very cosy, innit?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/disabil ... e2008.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very pertinent and ever more relevant as regards social care IMHO.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 06 Jun, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re the above posts, why *are* the media so obsessed by Diane Abbott??

Answers on a postcard........
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1614998 ... n-for-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The media likes incompetence - it gives them a story. The worst thing that can happen is that they ask a question...and it gets answered competently and without need for a follow-up. So dull...
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Hmmm.
An event to mark the fiftieth anniversary of Israel’s victory in the six-day war has been postponed amid security concerns following recent terror attacks. Almost 1,000 tickets had been sold for A Night To Honour Israel, which was due to take place in central London on 22 June. The organisers, Christians United For Israel UK, said they had expected hundreds more to be taken. [...] The event would be “the largest pro-Israel event of the year with both Christians and Jews meeting at a location just a short distance from the two recent London attacks”. The six-day war, fought between Israel and three neighbouring Arab countries, ended in a decisive victory for Israel and marked the beginning of its occupation of Palestinian territories.
From the graun's live blog on the london attacks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.thepileus.com/economics/tor ... ignorance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Comments are open on the Graun liveblog now.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Comments are open on the Graun liveblog now.
Thanks. (It occurs to me that tomorrow is Wednesday. Early closing?)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Thankfully, given the crap Johnson is spouting.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

This isn't a "bias" reference as such, and it's certainly not directed at the BBC specifically. It addresses the promotion of Anjem Choudary.

The case against the British media really is solidifying, isn't it?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

StephenDolan wrote:
Johnson to the fore because, whatever I/we might think of him, he is a very popular and electorally successful politician, who twice took the Tory fight to Labour London and won. I'm amazed he hasn't been more in the spotlight.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

NonOxCol wrote:This isn't a "bias" reference as such, and it's certainly not directed at the BBC specifically. It addresses the promotion of Anjem Choudary.

Fascinating, a recommended read .

"" Act 3 of this elaborate stage-play is Anjem and his 2 dozen supporters appear at the front gate of the Mosque with their flags & banners."" with thousands behind them, going elsewhere !

( In 1970 the Torygraph did a two-page spread on a thousand+ rioting Essex University students . There were about twenty 'militants' and they were not rioting ... )
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Johnson to the fore because, whatever I/we might think of him, he is a very popular and electorally successful politician, who twice took the Tory fight to Labour London and won. I'm amazed he hasn't been more in the spotlight.
Perhaps because May doesn't like or trust him?

Which just goes to show that everybody is right about something.
pressureuk
Backbencher

Post by pressureuk »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Well, I'd say this is pretty definitive evidence of BBC bias.

Brother of Tory parliamentaran Nick Gibb.

All very cosy, innit?
I made sure to mention that to him.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

May and Johnson indicating that the Tory playbook now consists of lying and repetition of over Shoot to kill. What a positive campaign she's ran.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Weather is looking awful for Thursday. Bloody hell.
pressureuk
Backbencher

Post by pressureuk »

StephenDolan wrote:Weather is looking awful for Thursday. Bloody hell.
It's been raining non stop here. Luckily the polling station is around the corner.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

NonOxCol wrote:This isn't a "bias" reference as such, and it's certainly not directed at the BBC specifically. It addresses the promotion of Anjem Choudary.

Complemented by this thread from Dave Gorman, about media representation of another religion:

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:Seriously, click on that link. It is the most flagrant example I have ever posted on here, and it certainly has the most shocked and unified response to the original tweet I've ever seen.
That was political party endorsement of one party over another party by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
It's not allowed, not from the British public service broadcaster
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone