Friday June 9th 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday June 9th 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Rentoul's translation for Independent live blog:

What Theresa May said: I have just been to see Her Majesty the Queen, and I will now form a government. What she meant: I have made a terrible mistake and I am not going to admit it.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Robert Peston ✔ @Peston
Senior Tory MP: "We all f***ing hate her. But there is nothing we can do. She has totally f***ed us".
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

How much over a barrel does the DUP have Theresa May? After all, she'll look pretty stupid(er) if they were to say, "Sorry - the deal's off." She's basically their hostage. (Not that the deal's on, yet.)

Edited - tidy up. Preview button's disappeared again.
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Donaeld The Unready‏ @donaeldunready 5h5 hours ago
Fair play to Paulanus of Nuttall. He's always been pro-leave and now he's left.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Donaeld The Unready‏ @donaeldunready 5h5 hours ago
What is everyone's problem with the Dal Raitan Unionists? Their progressive policies will drag us into the 9th Century.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Mr Steel:
After losing her majority in an unnecessary election, Theresa May now wants 'stability'. But we shouldn't gloat
If she's kicked out and replaced by Amber Rudd, at the next election Rudd can refuse to take part in the TV debate and send May in her place instead

The important thing now, says Theresa May, is to enjoy a “period of stability”. This is always the tricky part after an election – to keep everything stable, and not let things get messy by taking any notice of the result.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The Tories have been insistent on staying stable. And there can be no more stable way of running a country than calling a referendum to settle an issue, losing it, the leader of that country resigning, his schoolmate rival trying to take over but being usurped by his colleague who, in turn, is pushed out by another rival, who is adamant she won’t have an election, so she calls an election as she’s guaranteed to win a majority of 200 – but then loses the majority altogether, so her own side start calling for her to resign as well. That’s the sort of stable, loving environment that social services insist on before placing foster kids from a care home.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I hope that there's a push to keep the new young voters and activists engaged, encouraged to join the party and keep their enthusiasm for politics up. They played such a big part of what happened, they should take pride in their actions.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

If they cling on for a while longer, they’ll try to defeat internal dissent by announcing a referendum on whether our official language should become Danish, then go "whoops, I don’t know how we lost that". Then they’ll hold another, on whether it should become compulsory to own an antelope;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

According to ITV’s Robert Peston, it’s all getting a bit Malcolm Tucker in the Conservative party.

Robert Peston (@Peston)

Senior Tory MP: "We all f***ing hate her. But there is nothing we can do. She has totally f***ed us".
June 9, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)

Preview button's back.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

in another election, what can they say about Corbyn they haven’t already said? The newspapers will declare that .... Corbyn’s beard made from specially murdered pandas.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.logisticsmanager.com/brexit- ... -shambles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Freight Transport Association (FTA) has called for the new government to review its decision to leave the EU Customs Union, “given the confusion caused by the results of the General Election and lack of a clear mandate from British voters.”
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

More on the DUP and Government neutrality (by Jonathan Powell) over at Politics Live, Guardian. Or tinyclanger2 will be along soon, should you prefer to hang on . . .

Edited to add an "r"
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

G Live:
On the World at One Jonathan Powell, who as Tony Blair’s chief of staff played a major role in facilitating the Northern Ireland peace process, both before and after the Good Friday agreement, said it would be a mistake for Theresa May to do a deal with the DUP.

I do think it’s a mistake to go into government with the “support of our friends” in the DUP. Even John Major avoided doing that and the reason he avoided that is the peace process is based on a balance that the British government has made it clear it is neutral in Northern Ireland, it doesn’t take sides.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

NonOxCol wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Mood keeps slipping - just found out that my MP, Mr Candy Crush of Amber Valley, managed to win over half the bleeding vote this time!
Labour had its worst results in seats like yours.

Not sure what can be done about it right now, though their finally realising May won't give them their fabled "best Brexit" might help them come round.
But Broxtowe borders both us and Erewash, and yet the swing there was way way different. I really don't get that. Is it a load of Leavers ganging up on (the over-rated centrist darling) Soubry, or what?
Broxtowe - like Gedling - is basically Nottingham suburbia these days and quite a bit more "liberal cosmopolitan" than manufacturing/industrial small town country like Amber Valley or Cannock or Warwicks N. Though it is even more affluent than all the above, Rushcliffe is slowly but surely trending Labour for similar reasons.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/g ... -1-4471421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson has warned Theresa May that the party must tone down the hardline approach to Brexit after the election setback.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Is Theresa May just going through the motions? Stab at minority government, stand aside when budget voted down, knowing Labour don't really quite have the numbers?

A formal coalition with the DUP would be desperate and further undermine the Good Friday Agreement. The fact she's already visited the Queen, suggests no formal Coalition to me and a likely failed minority government followed by another election in the Autumn. Not that anything is very predictable anymore.

Brexit is definitely looking rockier but crashing out of the EU while the country is in chaos is also a distinct possibility, the way things are going.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:I hope that there's a push to keep the new young voters and activists engaged, encouraged to join the party and keep their enthusiasm for politics up. They played such a big part of what happened, they should take pride in their actions.
Hear, hear.

I went to sleep before events unfolded last night. I genuinely didn't expect this result. I was expecting what I kept reading in headlines over and over again. 'Tory government will increase their majority, Labour are lost' and other utterly rubbish lying stories. Those damned polls. I'm delighted as well as angry. Relieved the UK people didn't all fall before abject, awful Tory government. I'm sorry for Labour MPs having lost their constituencies - there were five Labour MPs having lost their seats. I'm sorry to see where Tories picked up seats.

Mr citizen just came home from errands. He overheard a couple of young teenage boys discussing politics together. We're both happy.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:G Live:
On the World at One Jonathan Powell, who as Tony Blair’s chief of staff played a major role in facilitating the Northern Ireland peace process, both before and after the Good Friday agreement, said it would be a mistake for Theresa May to do a deal with the DUP.

I do think it’s a mistake to go into government with the “support of our friends” in the DUP. Even John Major avoided doing that and the reason he avoided that is the peace process is based on a balance that the British government has made it clear it is neutral in Northern Ireland, it doesn’t take sides.
Very important point and also why I don't think Labour quite have the numbers either, regrettably.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:No offence meant SH, but what was the last political prediction you made that came true?
He called the 2015 GE right.

Though as with the likes of DFH/Labour Unhinged not necessarily for the right reasons - which helps explain why they've called almost everything wrong since ;)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2017/ ... vironment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greenpeace on DUP and Climate
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Dundee Evening Telegraph:
Blunder Woman
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

After what has just happened I can't see the Tories risking another GE in the near term - nothing until next year at the earliest IMO.

Not impossible of course that it could be May 2020, which would be quite amusing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:No offence meant SH, but what was the last political prediction you made that came true?
He called the 2015 GE right.

Though as with the likes of DFH/Labour Unhinged not necessarily for the right reasons - which helps explain why they've called almost everything wrong since ;)
'Ed Miliband will be PM,' saith SH
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May is not expected to reshuffle her government until tomorrow, the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg reports. (Politics Live, Guardian)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/g ... -1-4471421
Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson has warned Theresa May that the party must tone down the hardline approach to Brexit after the election setback.
oh, dear
another Tory queen approaching
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

Theresa May is not expected to reshuffle her government until tomorrow, the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg reports. (Politics Live, Guardian)
slacker
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:After what has just happened I can't see the Tories risking another GE in the near term - nothing until next year at the earliest IMO.

Not impossible of course that it could be May 2020, which would be quite amusing.
Do you really think they can survive 3 years and Brexit as a minority government? I'm not convinced, myself. And with who as PM? It's not going to be May, is it?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It could well be May for the forseeable future. And I'm (just) old enough to recall Labour soldiering on for over 4 years with little or no majority ;)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

As long as it isn't Boris Johnson.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ed Miliband‏Verified account @Ed_Miliband 11h11 hours ago
We know Theresa May can't now negotiate Brexit for Britain because she told us losing majority would destroy her authority---and it has.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It could well be May for the forseeable future. And I'm (just) old enough to recall Labour soldiering on for over 4 years with little or no majority ;)
But not with a Brexit-like situation to negotiate.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Nah, just a massive economic crisis and stuff.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Brexit is entirely self -inflicted and presented as twotp. Not the same.
(in my view)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

May refuses to commit herself to trying to serve full parliament as PM
(G Live)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/09/the-eu-sa ... g-6698590/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The EU says Brexit negotiations can start on Saturday morning
Little scamps. They're laughing their arses off. Not surprising given TM saying she's got to form an alliance with DUP to stop EU from trying to prevaricate.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

What is important is that we bring the government together, we form a government, in the national interest at this critical time for our country because we do face the challenge of those Brexit negotiations. So it’s important to have a government that can take the negotiations through. That’s what I’m doing, forming a government.
Doesn't sound good.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Robert Peston ✔ @Peston
There will be no reshuffle at all. May too weakened to risk alienating big beasts. All holders of top cabinet jobs will be confirmed in post
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Amber Rudd, Boris Johnson, David Davies, Philip Hammond and A N Other (was it Liam Fox? ) all confirmed in post (BBC).

Edited to add - of course the fifth was Michael Fallon. How could I have forgotten? After all, no government could function without him.
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 09 Jun, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ha!
ukwatching
Backbencher

Post by ukwatching »

https://www.byline.com/column/68/article/1721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If any one person in the United Kingdom feels as shocked and as sickened as Theresa May by the outcome of the election, it must be Paul Dacre.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The phrase 'disastrous night for the Tories' used again on Radio 4. :lol: :clap:
Still can't quite believe it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:Robert Peston ✔ @Peston
There will be no reshuffle at all. May too weakened to risk alienating big beasts. All holders of top cabinet jobs will be confirmed in post
B-but it shows her STRENGTH AND STABILITY!! Or, err, something :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Robert Peston ✔ @Peston
B-but it shows her STRENGTH AND STABILITY!! Or, err, something :)

Or neart agus cobhsaíocht as we now call it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

This is from John Simpson, the BBC’s world affairs editor.

John Simpson (@JohnSimpsonNews)

I suspect we've seen the end of the tabloids as arbiters of UK politics. Sun, Mail & Express threw all they had into backing May, & failed.
June 9, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Still haven't heard anything about the polling station scandal. It was meant to be a priority for today. Don't make it Labour's broken promise.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Kensington re-re-count should be starting soon.

Edited to add

Or is it a re-re-re-count?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just hearing on TV that the Kensington result should be known in a couple of hours.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Still haven't heard anything about the polling station scandal. It was meant to be a priority for today. Don't make it Labour's broken promise.
What did Labour say they would do about it?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'm home.
Lots of words to catch up on from last night and this morning, here and elsewhere. I looked at the ipad briefly at 5am to check the exit poll was right, it was just after Rudd's recount which was a minor disappointment, otherwise very happy. Particularly pleased with TSG Wharton losing Stockton South, and the odious Phillip Davies in Shipley.

Shame about the tories picking up those Scottish seats, would have looked even worse for them otherwise.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn