Friday June 9th 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Friday June 9th 2017

Post by yahyah »

Online celebration was premature. Unfortunately Davies held his seat.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Mark Steel: Whichever idiot called the election is distracting May from thinking about Brexit
[youtube]J_oMeLzAe4w[/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Still haven't heard anything about the polling station scandal. It was meant to be a priority for today. Don't make it Labour's broken promise.
What did Labour say they would do about it?
Paul Farrelly, Labour’s candidate in Newcastle-under-Lyme, where Keele University students have been complaining of being turned away despite having voter cards, has been scathing in his criticism of the electoral services department. He will be taking up the issues experienced today, and in the run-up to the election, with the Electoral Commission

Each passing hour is not only spoiling election day, but just adding to the issues for complaint, which I will be referring tomorrow to the Electoral Commission and other bodies for an independent, outside investigation.

(Politics Live, Guardian - yesterday - my emphasis)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Conservative leader, seems to have reservations about her party getting close to the DUP.

Ruth Davidson (@RuthDavidsonMSP)

As a Protestant Unionist about to marry an Irish Catholic, here's the Amnesty Pride lecture I gave in Belfast...https://t.co/NdRaT2s3W5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
June 9, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I did like this...
Sarah Montrose‏ @sarahmontrose 11h11 hours ago
More
#BBCelection Tory on BBC blames youth vote for loss. Literally saying they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

How's Ruth Davidson going to work with the DUP?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

yahyah wrote:Online celebration was premature. Unfortunately Davies held his seat.
So I see now. Yuk.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ukwatching
Backbencher

Post by ukwatching »

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... n-13113893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; More details in on manchester votes. My area did well, 72% turnout, we kept the former lib dem MP out, and Labour majority was boosted to 29,875. Labour campaigned really hard here, lots of door-knocking and much more enthusiastic canvassers than last time, pleasantly surprised by how much bigger the majority is. We're a strong remain area too, as is the Labour MP (rebelled on activating article 50) so Lib Dem couldn't effectively make remain/brexit a big issue (though he did try).
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ukwatching wrote:https://www.byline.com/column/68/article/1721 If any one person in the United Kingdom feels as shocked and as sickened as Theresa May by the outcome of the election, it must be Paul Dacre.
Good piece

" So, for the past year, Dacre’s front pages have been to Britain what Donald Trump’s tweets are to the United States – coarse, intemperate, ugly statements of what the man in power wanted to happen next, irrespective of what the law or the constitution might require. Brexit, terrorism, the BBC, the NHS, Leveson – from his mountaintop in Kensington he handed down his thoughts to Whitehall and Westminster, and brooked no defiance.

When the election came, he and his paper duly did their worst for May, and it was vile. On the penultimate day of campaigning, predictably, he called down Harry Potter’s ultimate curse – the killing curse, Avada Kedavra – on Jeremy Corbyn. Thirteen whole pages of monstering crafted by all the finest and most destructive writers and reporters on the Mail payroll – and remarkably, it did not work. Voters ignored it. ""

Read more at:https://www.byline.com/column/68/article/1721

OTOH if the evil fucker and Co hadn't been so active for decades we wouldn't be where we are ... and the centre of gravity of public opinion would be leftwards surely ?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Seen on FB
Looks like we'll be sending Brussels the Conservative & Unionist Negotiation Team - hope they can come up with a handy acronym
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Yeah, this...
John Gapper‏Verified account
@johngapper
Follow
More
The Conservatives' habit of blowing things up and then insisting that only they can restore stability is starting to grate slightly
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Crace --

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ief-denial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No one could say they weren’t warned. The Supreme Leader had promised a coalition of chaos if she lost six seats and a coalition of chaos was what the country was getting. What she hadn’t made clear was that the coalition of chaos would be all hers.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tonight's BBC Question Time line-up (allegedly) -

Chris Grayling
Shami Chakrabarti
Armando Iannucci
Alastair Campbell
Isabel Oakeshott

BBC1, 8.30pm
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Having destabilised everything with an election [Theresa May] called unnecessarily – and having done so on a stability platform – her genuine verdict was that “the country needs a period of stability”. You what, madam? This is like some deadbeat dad coming home after having lost all the housekeeping money on the nags, and explaining solemnly to his kids that only he can deliver the stability they need. If not the food.

- Marina Hyde
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:When the election came, he and his paper duly did their worst for May, and it was vile. On the penultimate day of campaigning, predictably, he called down Harry Potter’s ultimate curse – the killing curse, Avada Kedavra – on Jeremy Corbyn. Thirteen whole pages of monstering crafted by all the finest and most destructive writers and reporters on the Mail payroll – and remarkably, it did not work. Voters ignored it. ""

Read more at:https://www.byline.com/column/68/article/1721

OTOH if the evil fucker and Co hadn't been so active for decades we wouldn't be where we are ... and the centre of gravity of public opinion would be leftwards surely ?
(cJA edit & emphasis)

I don't doubt it. We know what we're taught and/or told. We're lied to and told 'they're all like that'.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ruth Davidson ✔ @RuthDavidsonMSP
As a Protestant Unionist about to marry an Irish Catholic, here's the Amnesty Pride lecture I gave in Belfast...http://www.scottishconservatives.com/20 ... ide-event/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Of course, in her final pre-election piece Marina forecast a "humungous majority" for the Tories and got in all sorts of snide digs at Jez. A pity.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wo ... e35263557/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May's failed gamble could mean a soft Brexit – and years of turmoil for U.K.

“At any point a tiny number of either Conservatives or Democratic Unionist MPs could say ‘we won’t put up with this’ on anything that happens,” said Tony Travers, a professor of government at the London School of Economics. “That’s exactly why she wanted a majority, so she wouldn’t be at risk of small groups within Parliament undermining her capacity to govern.”
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Independent Live Blog:
Jonathan Powell, Tony Blair's former chief of staff and a Northern Ireland peace negotiator, has spoken out against Theresa May's plans to govern with the help of the DUP.

He told Sky News: “I spent 10 years doing the Northern Ireland peace negotiations and I really would appeal to the Government not to go down this path.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Also for Independent Live Blog
Jeremy Corbyn was just 2,227 votes away from having the chance to become Prime Minister in the general election, an analysis of marginal seats has revealed. If the Labour leader had won seven seats narrowly taken by the Conservatives, he would have had the opportunity to form a “progressive alliance” with all other smaller parties, barring the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(Or, as Adam pointed out last night, Scotland hadn't voted in so many Tories).
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Finding it very hard to forgive the Scots who used a Westminster election as a pre-emptive second "No".

Thanks a bunch for inflicting the coalition of cockwombles on us.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Feel immediately overwhelmed by certainty:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... be-team-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Olympic officials would resist DUP demand for Team GB to be Team UK
• Unionist party called for Olympic team’s rebranding in election manifesto
• BOA says change could hamper fund-raising and jeopardise sending team
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TechnicallyRon‏Verified account @TechnicallyRon 6h6 hours ago
Make work more exciting today by waiting for your conservative work colleague to leave their desk and then stealing their seat.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Of course, in her final pre-election piece Marina forecast a "humungous majority" for the Tories and got in all sorts of snide digs at Jez. A pity.
Damn it, I remember that now and I wasn't happy at the time. I'm glad you reminded me. Did she believe it? I started to. Headlines and information indicating a significant Tory majority were everywhere. I resent the hell out of being lied to. Pushed. Fake news. Whatever the hell it is.

Serious question - did anyone call this correctly prior the election? Any poll get it right? An article headline on the Guardian indicates Labour HQ was taken by surprise by the results. I'm not sure if it's true.

I hoped against hope last night. Mr citizen and I dared talk about the hope of a hung parliament. I'm still sorting out my feelings and thoughts. Thank you all for your patience with me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Sky'sGoneOut
I read your work on last night's/this morning's political thread and loved the contributions.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you to everyone contributing last night and this morning.
I posted goodnight and a couple hours later the good news posts filled the thread.
Wonderful reading today.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:Finding it very hard to forgive the Scots who used a Westminster election as a pre-emptive second "No".

Thanks a bunch for inflicting the coalition of cockwombles on us.
Yes, then there's this - I saw that. Thirteen Tory MPs in Scotland? What's that about? I read it but haven't investigated how in the world this happened. Scotland voting in more than a dozen Tories? Where are we at?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Daily Mash:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 0609129202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May hoping for 'constructive relationship' with creationist homophobes who think Pope is Satan
A Downing Street spokesman said: “It’s very important we have a strong and stable government. But it’s okay if it’s also a tiny bit insane.”
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Has Theresa May even consulted anyone else in her "government" about the DUP arrangement or has she just struck out on her own (again)? She doesn't seem to have had any meetings with anyone - unless it was sorted out when she popped in to HQ last night? Or a ring-round? All decided very quickly, at any rate. I doubt if it had been decided in advance as a contingency plan.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Plus:
Britain to continue in normal state of ridiculous incompetence
BRITONS are relieved to discover that life will continue in its everyday state of raging incompetence and chaos.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wo ... e35263557/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May's failed gamble could mean a soft Brexit – and years of turmoil for U.K.

“At any point a tiny number of either Conservatives or Democratic Unionist MPs could say ‘we won’t put up with this’ on anything that happens,” said Tony Travers, a professor of government at the London School of Economics. “That’s exactly why she wanted a majority, so she wouldn’t be at risk of small groups within Parliament undermining her capacity to govern.”
Right. She's screwed that up. What's she still doing in No 10? Did she get back to Ed Miliband? He sent her a reminder tweet she's failed to secure a mandate negotiating with Brussels.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Plus:
Britain to continue in normal state of ridiculous incompetence
BRITONS are relieved to discover that life will continue in its everyday state of raging incompetence and chaos.
It makes safe excursions through public thoroughfares problematic. Get run over. Not by terrorists. By angry motorists just because they do own the whole damn road and pavements too.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Of course, in her final pre-election piece Marina forecast a "humungous majority" for the Tories and got in all sorts of snide digs at Jez. A pity.
Damn it, I remember that now and I wasn't happy at the time. I'm glad you reminded me. Did she believe it? I started to. Headlines and information indicating a significant Tory majority were everywhere. I resent the hell out of being lied to. Pushed. Fake news. Whatever the hell it is.

Serious question - did anyone call this correctly prior the election? Any poll get it right? An article headline on the Guardian indicates Labour HQ was taken by surprise by the results. I'm not sure if it's true.

I hoped against hope last night. Mr citizen and I dared talk about the hope of a hung parliament. I'm still sorting out my feelings and thoughts. Thank you all for your patience with me.
Citizen -- at least the Labour team considered the possibility, also in that article !
On Thursday morning, the team had prepared plans for about half a dozen scenarios. The best-case scenario, regarded as highly unlikely, was forming a government. The second best, viewed as almost as unlikely, was a hung parliament. The worst case, based on one of the worst of the polls, was the Conservatives on 380 seats, with Labour dropping to 190.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tion-night" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's serious staff work .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Has Theresa May even consulted anyone else in her "government" about the DUP arrangement or has she just struck out on her own (again)? She doesn't seem to have had any meetings with anyone - unless it was sorted out when she popped in to HQ last night? Or a ring-round? All decided very quickly, at any rate. I doubt if it had been decided in advance as a contingency plan.
DUP Declines Tory Coalition Offer
'We're unable to reconcile our values with those of Theresa May's Tory party.'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

How's that there re-count going? Not hearing anything.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 81216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Election results: Tory MP says the voters ‘plainly got it wrong’
'Democracy's a real downer when you know you're born to rule,' says critic
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:Citizen -- at least the Labour team considered the possibility, also in that article !
On Thursday morning, the team had prepared plans for about half a dozen scenarios. The best-case scenario, regarded as highly unlikely, was forming a government. The second best, viewed as almost as unlikely, was a hung parliament. The worst case, based on one of the worst of the polls, was the Conservatives on 380 seats, with Labour dropping to 190.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tion-night" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's serious staff work .
What an extraordinary number of possibilities to prepare for - government formation shouldn't be this complicated.
Environmental agencies, public safety teams, air traffic control, communications systems, energy infrastructure - all those places and departments should rightly have plans for any number of possible emergencies, contingency planning - government formation, no.

government formed by right of conquest
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 81216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Election results: Tory MP says the voters ‘plainly got it wrong’
'Democracy's a real downer when you know you're born to rule,' says critic
oh, perfect
this does wreck havoc with 'the will of the people' doesn't it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tories say, if we ignore it, it'll go away
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The good thing about the Scottish results is that Labour are BACK.

7 MPs, only just behind the "brilliantly performing" Tories in the popular vote, lots of marginal SNP targets now.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Any news on Kensington?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Any news on Kensington?
Well, there wasn't at 8.13pm when I asked . . .

But - no, haven't heard a dickybird.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-you-n ... 1795957578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lord Buckethead runs on a policy of being the only intergalactic spacelord in British politics
Don't suppose UKIP approve of his outfit.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

"Young people aren't idealists wanting a better future. They just want more free stuff."

One Laura Perrins, editor of "Conservative Woman".

Vermin.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Independent Live Blog:
Chris Grayling: "Arlene Foster, the leader of the DUP, said this afternoon that she wanted to operate and work in a way that gave us stability for the future. And that surely is what we want now. We're going to the Brexit negotiations, we want to be able to govern properly and deliver the right outcome for Britain."
Am having to actively manage negative biochemical response to repeatedly seeing all these utterly meaningless strings of words.
It might be starting to make me go a little bit insane.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Any news on Kensington?
Well, there wasn't at 8.13pm when I asked . . .

But - no, haven't heard a dickybird.
Soz - missed that - should've known.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

NonOxCol wrote:"Young people aren't idealists wanting a better future. They just want more free stuff."

One Laura Perrins, editor of "Conservative Woman".

Vermin.
I had the misfortune to hear her the other day. Rude and factually ignorant.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Conspiracy theory alert ;-)

Remember when May called the election, we were all sure there was something she was hiding. Election fraud and the like.

Her unseemly haste to rush to form a new government today would just reinforce this. Is there still something we don't know?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A young woman says she is "absolutely petrified" about what the DUP's proposed deal with the Conservatives will mean for Britain give their stances on same-sex marriage and climate change.