Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th June 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Pleasing turn of phrase ... oh ... too late, sorry PF
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 10 Jun, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Pleasing turn of phrase ... oh ... too later, sorry PF
It's probably better than being previouser . . .
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(innocent of illicit editing emoticon)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RIP Batman.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Some Tory (Guardian Live):
“Our manifesto was all about what we’ll stop them having and what we’ll not give them and what’s good for them and that’s frankly electoral poison and a complete disaster...there had not been appropriate consultation on it...and when you have to explain that you’re not taking food from children’s mouths and taking homes from your core supporters, then you’re losing an election.
Hands up anyone who remembers a Tory manifesto that wasn't all about telling the plebs what we can't have, because it would be inappropriate to tax the wealthy/ corporations.

et 'kin' c.
Stuart Jackson, who also says that since losing his seat, he hasn't heard from May or Sir Patrick McLoughlin (party chairman).
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/lo ... 83171.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
London Bridge attack: NHS staff praised for preventing death toll rising after dozens critically hurt
Doctors revealed they were able to keep the death toll to a minimum because they are so used to dealing with stab wounds seen during London's knife crime epidemic
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I was going to watch BBC Newsnight. But - guess who they'll be speaking to.

Edited - typo
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

What is it with the BBC and Farage ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Stewart Jackson is a complete merchant banker (rhyming slang) though. And has one of the most risible comb-overs ever :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

https://twitter.com/iankatz1000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nicholas Watt says DUP will demand that the Tories drop benefit cuts.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:https://twitter.com/iankatz1000

Nicholas Watt says DUP will demand that the Tories drop benefit cuts.

Followed your link and spotted this -
Ian Katz‏Verified account @iankatz1000 16m16 minutes ago

.@nicholaswatt says snr Tory figures prepared for "all eventualities" during Thurs night even drafting resignation speech for PM #newsnigh
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.indy100.com/article/dup-wik ... al-7783711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DUP's wikipedia page keeps being somewhat embroidered by people who aren't delighted by them
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:@SpinningHugo

Brexit-wise, things are at least less gloomy than they were 2 days ago. Nigel Farage and Rupert Murdoch were not happy bunnies yesterday.

More importantly, after a long, surreal year where the Tories have shown a remarkably united front on Europe, the cracks are starting to appear. We have Ed Vaizey suggesting a softer approach may be needed, as Anna Soubry suggests May should consider her position and George Osborne lobs in hand grenades from his position at the Evening Standard.

Brexit cut across traditional left/right political positions and still has the potential to disrupt old loyalties and long standing political coalitions. The remarkable thing to me, thus far, was how little this had hitherto affected the Tories compared to Labour, presumably because of the less equivocal position of the majority of Tory voters. That there is even a hint that might be about to change is encouraging to me.
Yes I hope so.

The other thing that I feel is rarely discussed is the pressure within the rest of the EU for change, for example Macron had a list of proposals in his manifesto. My hope is that the UK starts to pull back from May's hard Brexit and starts to explore other options that may currently appear unachievable. With proper negotiations and discourse, the gap between Brexit Britain and the rest of the EU could narrow to the point where leaving becomes largely pointless.

I'm not saying I think this will happen, but that it could. The result would be a better EU with the UK still in it.
Paul -- that's the dream solution that has also crossed my mind !

Shame on me , I haven't read the Macron manifesto , but have noticed that Yanis Varoufakis has a lot of time for him . And for Corbyn too.

Let's See how the economy goes in the next few months, with my own hope that the Tories are still 'in charge' of the bordel .
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

yahyah wrote:What is it with the BBC and Farage ?
FFS. What possible relevance does he have to what is clearly the most pressing issue this weekend (the DUP)?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Labour should have won against May’s ‘open goal’, says MP

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -open-goal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‘Not good enough!’ Labour ex-minister blasts Jeremy Corbyn despite strong election performance

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 61876.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I heard the Weasel Chris Leslie on Toady this morning, and SEETHED.

Little shit . When he lost in 2005, up came a cushy number .in a Blairite thinktank , and now there is a well-funded little anti-Corbyn sideline for the family —

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 93556.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ex Lib Dem peer one of the biggest donors to new anti-Corbyn Labour campaign

Little shit X 2 !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Gavin Barwell appointed as new Downing St. Chief of Staff.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Leslie would likely have been deselected had the previous parliament ran its full course. One of the reasons to regret that it didn't.

He is now a totally powerless irrelevance, almost as good. Ignore him.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Leslie would likely have been deselected had the previous parliament ran its full course. One of the reasons to regret that it didn't.

He is now a totally powerless irrelevance, almost as good. Ignore him.

AK -- none of us get on the Toady programme, and into at least two newspapers , just at the right moment :-)

I like to keep track of the saboteurs .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

DUP agrees 'confidence' deal with Tories (BBC News website)
That's all there is at the moment.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

But here's the link, in any case -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40236152
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Glad that the DUP have confidence in the Tories, because nobody else has!

I'm here all week etc.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Will "eight seats short of an overall majority" catch on as the new "picnic short of a sandwich"?

Edited - tidy up
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/s ... 026879ec5e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simon Schama has issued a blistering assessment of Theresa May’s ability to conduct Brexit negotiations by suggesting the UK would be better represented by “someone at random out of the Yellow Pages.”
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

“You cannot possibly have someone as incompetent, spectacularly incompetent, as Theresa May has proved themselves going into the negotiations for Brexit,” he added.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/d ... s-10600796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DUP makes 'outline agreement' with Tories to prop up Theresa May's government after general election humiliation
The Democratic Unionist Party will have a "confidence and supply" arrangement with the Conservatives, but the deal stops short of a formal coalition
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/d ... s-10600796
DUP makes 'outline agreement' with Tories to prop up Theresa May's government after general election humiliation
The Democratic Unionist Party will have a "confidence and supply" arrangement with the Conservatives, but the deal stops short of a formal coalition
They've learnt from the Lib Dems.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

So the "coalition is better than confidence and supply" argument didn't hold sway, then.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

"Strong and stable" has now seamlessly morphed into "stability and certainty". I feel so much better.

Edited to add -
[Downing Street said]“We welcome this commitment, which can provide the stability and certainty the whole country requires as we embark on Brexit and beyond. The details will be put forward for discussion and agreement at a Cabinet meeting on Monday.” (Guardian)
Just in case anyone was wondering.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bumboils.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Bumboils.
FIFY
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Article 50: the trigger that never was?
With the start of Brexit negotiations drawing closer David Wolchover argues that the Prime Minister has not triggered Art 50 of the Treaty on European Union

On 29 March Sir Tim Barrow delivered a letter from the UK Prime Minister Theresa May to European Council President Donald Tusk purporting to give notice under Art 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union of Britain’s decision to quit the EU.

Extraordinary as it may seem, this article argues there was no legal basis for such notice, the letter had no legal effect and it completely failed in its declared purpose. In short, Art 50 has not been activated. The letter was a faux trigger, a chimera, an illusion, not the real thing.

https://www.counselmagazine.co.uk/artic ... -never-was" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@AngryAsWell

Thanks for the link. I started but I couldn't finish - I'll have another go tomorrow! (Not that I'm any sort of legal expert.)

Edited to add-

Or any other sort of expert
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Graun Live
The announcement that the government will be looking at a confidence and supply deal rather than a full coalition comes after a number of concerns were raised by Tory MPs about anything more formal.

Ruth Davidson, the Conservative leader in Scotland, stressed that she did not want to see an arrangement that would weaken the government’s position over equality. In particular, the concerns focus on the Democratic Unionist party’s opposition to gay marriage and extending abortion rights.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

On Gavin Barwell's appointment as Downing Street chief of staff -
The move also shows an attempt to reach out to Tories who lost their seat after claims that May has failed to show contrition. (Guardian)
She can't give them all a job in Downing Street, surely?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:@AngryAsWell

Thanks for the link. I started but I couldn't finish - I'll have another go tomorrow! (Not that I'm any sort of legal expert.)

Edited to add-

Or any other sort of expert
Must admit I don't understand it all but (seems) to say that there should have been a vote in parliament (in favour of leaving EU) before A50 sent.
Posted to see if SH had any view on it.
I have seen this argument on twitter before and a lawyer I follow thinks this aspect will be picked up to be clarified before negotiations start. He seemed to be having a joke about it with an EU MEP a couple of weeks ago.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Is the plan to see what Hugo says and then assume the opposite is the case?

He does have a very good record of being wrong
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... servatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forget religion: DUP’s support for Tories is about the money
The ultra-conservative DUP will strike a hard bargain with Theresa May’s Conservatives but won’t foist militant Protestantism on Westminster
Guess they must have found the magic money tree after all
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Has anyone noted that without a majority (confident & supply doesn't count as part of majority), the Tory manifesto no longer applies so HoL can block anything - including financial - they don't like the look of (that's if it gets through commons).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

If this means the present boundary changes are killed off (the DUP are spitting mad at the NI proposals) then that's one thing good to come out of this I suppose.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:Has anyone noted that without a majority (confident & supply doesn't count as part of majority), the Tory manifesto no longer applies so HoL can block anything - including financial - they don't like the look of (that's if it gets through commons).
On that subject this was posted earlier by Mark Elliot.

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/2017/0 ... arliament/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Has anyone noted that without a majority (confident & supply doesn't count as part of majority), the Tory manifesto no longer applies so HoL can block anything - including financial - they don't like the look of (that's if it gets through commons).

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/2017/0 ... arliament/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Thank you

Salisbury Convention iirc.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://news.sky.com/story/why-the-torie ... n-10911525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 30 Tory seats with the slimmest majorities

1. Southampton Itchen (31 majority, Labour second)
2. Richmond Park (45 majority, Lib Dems second)
3. Stirling (148 majority, SNP second)
4. St Ives (312 majority, Lib Dems second)
5. Pudsey (331 majority, Labour second)
6. Hastings & Rye (346 majority, Labour second)
7. Chipping Barnet (353 majority, Labour second)
8. Thurrock (345 majority, Labour second)
9. Preseli Pembrokeshire (314 majority, Labour second)
10. Calder Valley (609 majority, Labour second)
11. Norwich North (507 majority, Labour second)
12. Broxtowe (865 majority, Labour second)
13. Stoke-on-Trent South (663 majority, Labour second)
14. Telford (720 majority, Labour second)
15. Bolton West (936 majority, Labour second)
16. Aberconwy (635 majority, Labour second)
17. Northampton North (807 majority, Labour second)
18. Hendon (1,072 majority, Labour second)
19. Mansfield (1,057 majority, Labour second)
20. Middlesbrough South & Cleveland East (1,020 majority, Labour second)
21. Milton Keynes South (1,725 majority, Labour second)
22. Northampton South (1,159 majority, Labour second)
23. Pendle (1,279 majority, Labour second)
24. Milton Keynes North (1,915 majority, Labour second)
25. Morecambe & Lunesdale (1,399 majority, Labour second)
26. Finchley & Golders Green (1,657 majority, Labour second)
27. Camborne & Redruth (1,577 majority, Labour second)
28. Putney (1,554 majority, Labour second)
29. Harrow East (1,757 majority, Labour second)
30. Watford (2,092 majority, Labour second)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Is the plan to see what Hugo says and then assume the opposite is the case?

You forgot to add that you do not believe that he has had a knee operation ,

or IF he did , that you hope it is very very painful .

Careless !

A few of you people are the most spiteful and mean-minded I've seen on the internet, like a gang of kids persecuting in a school playground .

IF SH is a troll you , supposedly all being adults, are not obliged to play his game .
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

frog222 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Is the plan to see what Hugo says and then assume the opposite is the case?

You forgot to add that you do not believe that he has had a knee operation ,

or IF he did , that you hope it is very very painful .

Careless !

A few of you people are the most spiteful and mean-minded I've seen on the internet, like a gang of kids persecuting in a school playground .

IF SH is a troll you , supposedly all being adults, are not obliged to play his game .

Get back in your box! Some people on here produce some over the top and hysterical posts

Hugo is wrong on virtually every call he makes but still gives his opinion in a style that is arrogant and dismissive of all dissenting views

My comment was a statement of fact - I look at an opinion of Hugo's and assume it is wrong as he is has shown himself to be so in most cases

I have no view on his knee - in fact, I am not sure what the relevancy is to anything
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...
Britain Elects‏
@britainelects
Following
More
Theresa May ties with Jeremy Corbyn on who would make best Prime Minister:

[via YouGov / Sunday Times front page. Actual figures to follow]
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

oh look the country's falling apart.
over there!
look!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear...
Britain Elects‏
@britainelects
Following
More
Theresa May ties with Jeremy Corbyn on who would make best Prime Minister:

[via YouGov / Sunday Times front page. Actual figures to follow]
:D
That is literally hilarious.
But my god the-will-of-the-people is a difficult to discern.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

pleasing turn of phrase ...