Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re:

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

NonOxCol wrote:JHB gets schooled by - the horror! - actual voters on her ludicrous and sadly not unique view that combined support for Labour and the Tories = 80% plus support for hard Brexit.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
She also spoke of an "overwhelming mandate" in the referendum for HER (hard) version of Brexit. Actually it was less than 52% for an almost totally non-defined version.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Re: Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th June 2017

Post by NonOxCol »

Possibly my second favourite Twitter thread of the weekend (after @jackbern23's analysis of Northern Ireland):

Apparently, a dose of mild social democracy would be worse than all of this.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:John McDonnell saying single market membership incompatible with the referendum result. Oh well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.

The UK is, and I am sorry for swearing, completely fucked.
your opinion is valid but, as with most of yours, is given with a certainty which is not supported by your ability in actually being right

A little bit of humility may be worth considering.....
Corbyn also ruled out single market membership on Marr.

No free movement. No single market. No customs union therefore possible.

That is hard Brexit.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:John McDonnell saying single market membership incompatible with the referendum result. Oh well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.

your opinion is valid but, as with most of yours, is given with a certainty which is not supported by your ability in actually being right

That is hard Brexit.

I repeat my last comment
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

That is hard Brexit.
It really isn't. You understand nothing. Or you do and choose to misrepresent the situation.

Remain was presented to the electorate and lost by 48 to 52.

Only slightly less directly Hard Brexit was presented to the electorate and it lost by about the same margin (unless you think everyone voting DUP was voting for Brexit).

So, democratically speaking the "will of the people" is fairly clear. Soft Brexit. Which will be infernally hard to deliver, but the government needs to try.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
Just caught up with the thread
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Dissipated, woebegone and missing a heel off a shoe, the Tory party lurches about the room while the country and people stare incredulous at the spectacle.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

13:43

Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming. Patrick Wintour reports. (Politics Live, Guardian)

Edited to add -

Let's hope it's an endless wait.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 11 Jun, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Ooh, yes please.
Keiran Pedley‏Verified account
@keiranpedley
Follow
More
Rumours Yvette Cooper could return as Shadow Home Secretary. Would be a big statement that Corbyn serious about security & government.
Diane Abbott showed in the campaign that she really isn't up to being a cabinet minister.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

And further to the condescension point, we have this...
Pundits getting it in the neck, I see. A few points:
[blah blah blah]
so spare me the pomposity and the confected rage, and grow up. Or go read the Canary.

It actually manages to get worse when people start engaging with him. No, really.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Ooh, yes please.
@keiranpedley
Follow
More
Rumours Yvette Cooper could return as Shadow Home Secretary. Would be a big statement that Corbyn serious about security & government.
Diane Abbott showed in the campaign that she really isn't up to being a cabinet minister.

Hope it is true. It would be good to see Ed M offered a job too.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

yahyah wrote:
@keiranpedley
Follow
More

Hi yahyah completely agree.

There's no reason to think Corbyn won't offer it (see a year ago linked below). So I guess the question really is whether Ed will accept.

The obvious place is energy and environment, where Ed is incredibly knowledgeable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... abinet-job" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeremy-corbyn-hints-ed-miliband-labour-shadow-cabinet-job
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
13:43

Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming. Patrick Wintour reports. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Ha!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@keiranpedley
Follow
More
Yes, agreed. Above all, stay together
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:And further to the condescension point, we have this...
Pundits getting it in the neck, I see. A few points:
[blah blah blah]
so spare me the pomposity and the confected rage, and grow up. Or go read the Canary.

It actually manages to get worse when people start engaging with him. No, really.
Oh, my word, this, this, is where compassion within me fails
I'm so angry
my rage is not 'confected'
chrisdeerin
you wally
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Hi yahyah completely agree.

There's no reason to think Corbyn won't offer it (see a year ago linked below). So I guess the question really is whether Ed will accept.

The obvious place is energy and environment, where Ed is incredibly knowledgeable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... abinet-job" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why not the big one, Foreign Office? EdM shadowing BJ. :popcorn:

Lucas for environment.

And while I'm on a flight of fancy, Clegg for chief Brexit negotiator, he's got nothing else to do. :D
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

From a technical point of view, I would be very happy to see Miliband come back into frontline politics.

I can also see positive points in Yvette Cooper although she has a lot of baggage and was responsible for putting place some of the schemes that the Tories have exploited in victimising the disabled (and before there are screams she cannot be held fully responsible for vileness of the Tories but she cannot be exonerated either)

What I find a bit off though is that all the pundits and members of the PLP have spent the last year telling all of us that Corbyn was a disaster, Labour were going to get 20% and less than 200 seats - with absolute and complete certainty. Us supporters have been called a 'cult' and other things (although there have been a few Red Tory accusations thrown about to to be fair) and were accused of taking the Labour Party to the point of extinction

Now these same people are telling Corbyn what he should be doing with no embarrassment at all. The 'moderate' i.e. right wing of the Labour Party have a place in the tent - absolutely - but they have to accept that they are representing a party that stood on a social democrat manifesto with a centre-left leader that provides a platform for the next election.

Some of us have memories of the last few years and how we have seen the party and some of its establishment behave. Even no there are still people sniping from the shadows

Let us put that all behind us and go forward unto the election manifesto and the leader we have, including a SC that is diverse but committed to that manifesto and supportive of the leader.

There is still a way to go but things are looking up for Labour and it is the Tories who are busy tearing themselves apart - let us try not to let them off the hook again like what happened after the referendum please
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Caroline won't be taking up a shadow post in the Labour party. Nor would I as a Green want her to.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Jeremy Corbyn has said that Labour will...demand....
In an interview on the Andrew Marr Show notable for the confidence he exuded...
Of all the damned impertinence! Confidence! A Labour party leader exuding confidence.
whatever next
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Temulkar wrote:Caroline won't be taking up a shadow post in the Labour party. Nor would I as a Green want her to.
It was a joke. :zen:
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Why not the big one, Foreign Office? EdM shadowing BJ

Lucas for environment.

And while I'm on a flight of fancy, Clegg for chief Brexit negotiator, he's got nothing else to do. :D

why demote Thornberry?

MIliband to be there but there needs to be some loyalty to those who have stood by him through all the last year of abuse, and the bruising campaign

And Clegg? Why? He is as unpopular as Blair...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Reflecting back on all this, I realise I'm still desperate for a space for people to discuss what an alliance of European nations (called the EU or whatever) would ideally look like.

If we could all talk about what the EU could be, rather than what it is and what it shouldn't be, we might all end up in a much happier place.
agree and attempted a couple of times in a small brainless way to initiate such discussion. like what kind of coalition building is going on with respect to a pan-European progressive alliance, what are the fundamental issues we need to collective address, what are the existing barriers to that, and where do we currently have the largest amount of common ground. The problem will be in trying to hold people together where they agree rather than risk people separating out on the basis of mutual dislike or by focusing on where they don't agree. Even where you have like-minded people working on a fairly specific common issue, you can get as many groups splintering off due to some small disagreement as you can bring together over a common goal.

But am up for discussing further - definitely.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@tinyclanger2
Well said
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:.

Only slightly less directly Hard Brexit was presented to the electorate and it lost by about the same margin (unless you think everyone voting DUP was voting for Brexit).

So, democratically speaking the "will of the people" is fairly clear. Soft Brexit. Which will be infernally hard to deliver, but the government needs to try.

Fine.

So explain to me how you can have single market membership without freedom of movement?

How can you have a customs union without single market membership or freedom of movement (Turkey has a separate and limited customs union, but guess why the EU were prepared to accept that without freedom of movement - cf Switzerland)?

If these are not possible, explain to me how exiting the single market and no customs union is not a granite Hard Brexit?

Corbyn on Marr and McDonnell on Peston both explicitly ruled out single market membership.

The hardline Tories (Davies, IDS, Hannan) say they want tariff free access to the EU. That is what Corbyn and McDonnell also say they want. That is Hard Brexit as the barriers to trade are not tariffs. That is a £100bn (conservative) per annum cost to the UK.

This is the internal contradiction in the Labour manifesto. It wants to end freedom of movement, and have all the benefits of the single market. That is an impossibility.

I don't think Corbyn and McDonnell want us in the single market. Single market membership prevents things like state aid, widespread nationalisation, some kinds of regulation, state contract preference, and so on.

Labour is on a high through fudging this. By saying it wants to end freedom of movement it helped to neutralise the immigration issue. It then, in complete contradiction of that, says it wants all the benefits of the single market. Well, that is not on offer.

Eventually that contradiction will be a problem. Not today, but eventually.

The Tories are in the same bind. Brexit is an economic disaster. They however are the ones who will go on paying the price as they are in power. If Labour got into government, this contradiction would soon start biting upon it.

In a way, this isn't Labour or the Tories fault. The public want mutually contradictory things. Some even seem to think these problems can disappear either by being rude to the EU or really polite.

There is no soft Brexit. May was right. Brexit means Brexit. There are no different kinds of it.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

Lucas for environment.

why demote Thornberry?

MIliband to be there but there needs to be some loyalty to those who have stood by him through all the last year of abuse, and the bruising campaign

howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

gilsey wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

Lucas for environment.

why demote Thornberry?

mea culpa

my apologies
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Reflecting back on all this, I realise I'm still desperate for a space for people to discuss what an alliance of European nations (called the EU or whatever) would ideally look like.

If we could all talk about what the EU could be, rather than what it is and what it shouldn't be, we might all end up in a much happier place.
agree and attempted a couple of times in a small brainless way to initiate such discussion. like what kind of coalition building is going on with respect to a pan-European progressive alliance, what are the fundamental issues we need to collective address, what are the existing barriers to that, and where do we currently have the largest amount of common ground. The problem will be in trying to hold people together where they agree rather than risk people separating out on the basis of mutual dislike or by focusing on where they don't agree. Even where you have like-minded people working on a fairly specific common issue, you can get as many groups splintering off due to some small disagreement as you can bring together over a common goal.

Have we had this?
http://www.primeeconomics.org/articles/ ... o-act-fast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The purpose will be to enable Britain to have access to the Single Market and customs union, while also achieving improvements in economic policies across the European Union and the Eurozone. Already our European partners are discussing the necessary Treaty changes to enable the Eurozone to work more effectively. This provides an ideal opportunity to discuss issues that could enable a positive and mutually beneficial economic, social, security and environmental framework for the relationship between Britain and current European partners.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

gilsey wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

Have we had this?
http://www.primeeconomics.org/articles/ ... o-act-fast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The purpose will be to enable Britain to have access to the Single Market and customs union, while also achieving improvements in economic policies across the European Union and the Eurozone. Already our European partners are discussing the necessary Treaty changes to enable the Eurozone to work more effectively. This provides an ideal opportunity to discuss issues that could enable a positive and mutually beneficial economic, social, security and environmental framework for the relationship between Britain and current European partners.

What a bizarre piece. Why would anyone think the EU would be remotely interested in EU Treaty changes put forward by the UK?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Jeremy Corbyn (@jeremycorbyn)

Cancellation of President Trump's State Visit is welcome, especially after his attack on London's mayor & withdrawal from #ParisClimateDeal.
June 11, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

why would anyone think that Jeremy Corbyn would have won seats off the Tories and, as leader, would hold the Tories to a hung Parliament, increasing the Labour vote by 10%?

Not me, and definitely not you

Difference is that I do not arrogantly assume that my opinion is anything but my assessment of the situation which can be completely wrong for a variety of reasons

I thought the Tories would have a majority of 30-40 seats - how wrong I was!

You have no idea what the EU are prepared to do and negotiate - what they will not want to do I assume is give any concessions to a May-led aggressive negotiation.

No-one has negotiated an Exit before so we have no model - neither do the EU

This election suggests that the electorate have a different view than the Tories so we can see what that means for our negotiation

The problem is that it looks like the Tories will still be in charge of the negotiations and May's past record suggests she will be crap at it - trouble is for her she will not now be able to get her ideas back through the HoC

It is a nightmare and she has made a complete mess of it all - potentially not only a hard Brexit but a chaotic Brexit which may be even worse
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:why would anyone think that Jeremy Corbyn would have won seats off the Tories and, as leader, would hold the Tories to a hung Parliament, increasing the Labour vote by 10%?

Not me, and definitely not you

Difference is that I do not arrogantly assume that my opinion is anything but my assessment of the situation which can be completely wrong for a variety of reasons

I thought the Tories would have a majority of 30-40 seats - how wrong I was!

You have no idea what the EU are prepared to do and negotiate - what they will not want to do I assume is give any concessions to a May-led aggressive negotiation.

No-one has negotiated an Exit before so we have no model - neither do the EU

This election suggests that the electorate have a different view than the Tories so we can see what that means for our negotiation

The problem is that it looks like the Tories will still be in charge of the negotiations and May's past record suggests she will be crap at it - trouble is for her she will not now be able to get her ideas back through the HoC

It is a nightmare and she has made a complete mess of it all - potentially not only a hard Brexit but a chaotic Brexit which may be even worse
Indeed, looks like we had the same view of the election's probable outcome. Because that is what the data told us.

However, there are other things we can predict with much more certainty than whether around 1/10 voters will swing one way or the other.

That is that every EU official there is is not lying, and that the four freedoms are indivisible. You can't have single market membership and no freedom of movement. We have plenty of examples of the kinds of relations the EU is prepared to agree to (Switzerland, Norway) and Labour's policy is contrary to single market membership.

Not only that Corbyn and McDonnell both said they oppose single market membership, as have the Tories. All have said they favour "tariff free access" which is Hard Brexit.

Nobody can even come up with a viable model of what soft Brexit might be, if it is not single market membership.

So, Hard Brexit it is.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

you mistake the point I am making

My predictions are often wrong but I know that

Your predictions are always wrong but you still speak in certainties

I am not bothering to argue with you on specific points as you never listen to anyone else's opinion unless it agree with yours
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:you mistake the point I am making

My predictions are often wrong but I know that

Your predictions are always wrong but you still speak in certainties

I am not bothering to argue with you on specific points as you never listen to anyone else's opinion unless it agree with yours
Ok. Shall we both just take the insults as a given then, and move on to more productive things?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... er_Brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THE Conservative leader on Bradford Council has slammed his party’s wish to strike a “shabby” deal with the Democratic Unionist Party.

Councillor Simon Cooke took to Twitter to say: “Ian Paisley, founder of the DUP hated me just for being Catholic. Please explain how I’m supposed to support this shabby deal with them?”
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Cllr Cooke also said he agreed with re-elected Conservative MP for Shipley, Philip Davies, that the public was tired of austerity and wanted an alternative.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

gilsey wrote: Have we had this?
First, a stronger commitment to full, good quality employment should become a primary, not secondary aim of Article 3.3 of the Treaty on European Union.
yes - this is critical.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Damien Green has been moved to the Cabinet Office. That leaves the DWP up for grabs.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HSOM - whatever the reason, Hugo clearly enjoys only one thing more than being a harbinger of doom - and that is winding people up. I don't think he can help it. Is it possible to resist the temptation to read?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

PorFavor wrote:Damien Green has been moved to the Cabinet Office. That leaves the DWP up for grabs.
Esther McVey might want to finish a few things off. Including me.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(apologies to both SH and HSOM for intervening, but I make these small attempts with good intention)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Heather Stewart ✔ @GuardianHeather
"The PM is a woman of extraordinary qualities": This WhatsApp from Boris doesn't sound *at all* as though it was meant to be leaked... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Gauke gets DWP.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Have we had this?
I encourage everyone to read the article in its entirety - it's good.
...it is crucial that Labour and allies put forward an alternative European strategy straight away.

Labour should pursue two major complementary policy goals. The first: to end austerity, and implement a Green New Deal across Britain.
This will lead to investment in infrastructure and the creation of skilled and unskilled jobs locally, especially targeted toward areas of low-paid, insecure employment.

The second major policy goal: to reset the framework and relations with our European partners; and to gain policy space and Treaty reforms which benefit British citizens as well as all Europeans.

...it is most important to ensure that we have time. For this to happen we must seek to extend the Article 50 timeline to at least four-years. But this requires Britain now to make clear that it would fully honour all budget commitments during this period and in particular, confirm that EU citizens resident in the UK would have their rights protected. This should include a commitment to pay our fair share for the future mutual benefits arising from our future framework of partnership.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Heather Stewart ✔ @GuardianHeather
"The PM is a woman of extraordinary qualities": This WhatsApp from Boris doesn't sound *at all* as though it was meant to be leaked... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Quite. It's part of his manoeuvres. Look loyal and then regrettfully have to fill the breach.

Edited to add -

Well - have a go at filling the breach, anyway.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 11 Jun, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Progressive alliances are the future of British politics
Caroline Lucas

It is incumbent on progressives in the House of Commons to work together to oppose the cruel agenda of those in government and to build a vision of a more confident and caring Britain. ...I know that the progressive alliance helped us reduce the Conservative majority. At this election, what was new was not the idea of an alliance, something that has been talked about in the run-up to most recent elections, but the fact that the first step was made towards one.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... h-politics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Liz Truss First Secretary to the Treasury. Phew!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:(apologies to both SH and HSOM for intervening, but I make these small attempts with good intention)

I am in a less combative mood at the moment tc so I am perfectly happy with your intervention

If that is his intention then it is really quite sad....
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Heather Stewart ✔ @GuardianHeather

Quite. It's part of his manoeuvres. Look loyal and then regrettfully have to fill the breach.

Edited to add -

Well - have a go at filling the breach, anyway.

He won't challenge her...he won't need to as she will be told to go!

He will not be actively opposing that happening I am sure ;)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:D
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Paul Johnson ✔ @paul__johnson
Damian Green: First Secretary of State.
Effectively deputy PM.
Was most pro-Europe in Cabinet.
May into reverse
http://gu.com/p/6tpf4?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Even as a small child I found the hokey cokey irritating. All that faffing and indecision.