Tuesday 13th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 13th June 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Re: Tuesday 13th June 2017

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

Amused today by Kuenssberg uncritically repeating the goatskin excuse on Twitter...

...and Huw Edwards pointing out that it shouldn't be a reason for delay.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

NonOxCol wrote:Morning.

Amused today by Kuenssberg uncritically repeating the goatskin excuse on Twitter...

I wonder if May is also going to compensate the lovely Laura for loss of earnings ;-)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

NonOxCol wrote:Morning.

It isn't even goatskin....
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

May and the Tories really are like some parody super-villain with all the sophistication of a Scooby Doo fairground owner. She apologises to MPs after talking to the country like nothing happened; promises to get "us" out of a mess and is clearly referring to the party not the country; and then there's the sheer unadulterated gall of this:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just completely irredeemable.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Have a read of this on Brexit...and the twist in the tale at the end. That was...unexpected.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

UK inflation up to 2.9% against expectation of 2.7% - four-year high figure.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Inflation is up to 2.9% (Sky News).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@adam

Snap!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Great comment on the politics liveblog at the graun
So, Theresa, as you talk to the DUP, are you willing to walk away? Is no deal better than a bad deal?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

adam wrote:UK inflation up to 2.9% against expectation of 2.7% - four-year high figure.

And what could possibly have caused this disastrous fall in our living standards, hitting the poorest hardest.

A complete mystery.....
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The follow up discussion on the business blog at the graun says, amongst other things...

* That BoE prediction was for inflation to peak at 2.8% in Q4 this year
* That the prediction for tomorrow's figures for wage growth is 2% so there is a significant fall in real wages developing
* That there is an expectation that inflation will continue to rise

There is also an 'it's people's actual experience of the real economy, stupid' explanation buried in there - 2015, sustained real wage growth against inflation, government win. 2017 - beginnings of real wages falling against inflation, government fail to win.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

adam wrote:The follow up discussion on the business blog at the graun says, amongst other things...

* That BoE prediction was for inflation to peak at 2.8% in Q4 this year
* That the prediction for tomorrow's figures for wage growth is 2% so there is a significant fall in real wages developing
* That there is an expectation that inflation will continue to rise

There is also an 'it's people's actual experience of the real economy, stupid' explanation buried in there - 2015, sustained real wage growth against inflation, government win. 2017 - beginnings of real wages falling against inflation, government fail to win.

Which is why the Tories window of opportunity just shut.

This is Brexit.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The freezing of most benefits and partial freezing for the "protected";the change of uprating method to an historically lower gauge all done by Osborne,before you get to the effected targeted reduction of income by other means despite supposed minimum income quarantees,with purposeful further reductions applied to those with little or no options,indeed penalised for working in some cases;all cheered on by remainers and leavers alike.Just to give a bit of history,lest amnesia continues in the fakery of giving a shit about the less well off.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 13 Jun, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Guardian Business Blog wrote:A Treasury spokesperson has responded to the jump in inflation, saying:
‘The government is helping families with the everyday cost of living by keeping taxes low, freezing fuel duty and increasing the National Living Wage.
A typical basic rate taxpayer now pays £1,000 less income tax than in 2010 and increases in the National Living Wage mean £1,400 extra a year for a worker since its introduction.’
There are real issues about this huge increase in the personal tax allowance over time...

* It cuts back the tax base significantly
* It encourages a lower wage base - because people's net pay will be higher with lower taxes wages are suppressed
* It has, in the last few years, effectively just juggled money for a lot of people between taxes paid and tax credits (previously known as Family Credit, previously known as Family Income Supplement, and always previously a more straightforward part of the benefits' system) received
* It is going to eventually lead to an often heard argument from the bastard classes that, well, look at all of those, down at the bottom, what are they contributing? Where are the net contributors? Why should they get so much? Where's mine?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...
David Allen Green‏ @davidallengreen 1m1 minute ago
More
Theresa May has just sacked half the ministers at @DExEUgov, days just before the Brexit negotiations begin.

Seriously.
:D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Glouestershire Children Services rated inadequate by Ofsted.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Are the Tories in Terminal Decline?
http://averypublicsociologist.blogspot. ... cline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The problem the Tories have is their policies have, for the last seven years, relentlessly attacked people in work, and younger people in particular. With their indifference regarding wages, security at work, job quality, house building, and their continued application of zombie austerity, they are bedding down a reflex hostility to their party that will last for longer, which is going to negatively impact their chances among these age groups, while their present support continues to die off.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apologies if repeat but delayed NHS stats from a few days ago.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/2 ... pril-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Not really a surprise given the reaction by edu people.
Tes Further Ed‏ @tesfenews 13m13 minutes ago
More
.@Halfon4Harlow "not really given a reason" as he is dismissed as apprentices and skills minister
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Not really a surprise given the reaction by edu people.
Tes Further Ed‏ @tesfenews 13m13 minutes ago
More
.@Halfon4Harlow "not really given a reason" as he is dismissed as apprentices and skills minister
I've seen this with several junior ministers - thank you, you're being replaced, no real reasons. Not the way to run a minority government - the whips must be delighted.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Gilsey,in short no/not necessarilly,a nanosecond is a long time in politics.Personally,hoping older people die off more for party politcal reasons not particularly progressive,I prefer a more positive approach.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

'Cos we're Tories, and that's what we do.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, that's that then it would appear.
UK Education Matters‏ @SchoolDuggery 2m2 minutes ago
More
Exclusive: Further blow for grammar schools plan as Ark boss speaks out against selection https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... speaks-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Ark and Harris are out
Moynihan came out against it yesterday. Couldn't help thinking that he was just following the prevailing wind as he'd previously said that eh thought it would be possible.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

The next generation's Kelvin MacKenzie, it would seem...

As in, WTF *do* you have to do to become a media pariah?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/06/st ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The stats are in on rail privatisation… it’s not looking good.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Some Conservatives who lost their seats are "on their uppers" (MP whose name escapes me - but he's on a lot - interviewed on Sky TV News)!

Edited - tidy up
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The biggest whingers,as ever,are those that are quite happy to inflict purposeful reduction in income to those with little or no options,they have many.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Good piece by Rupert Myers (no idea who he is or his political leaning) on what Labour needs to do to win the next GE

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/la ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:Good piece by Rupert Myers (no idea who he is or his political leaning) on what Labour needs to do to win the next GE

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/la ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The central message for Labour to absorb is that they lost, and that they are a long way from victory. There is much smugness and hubris mixed in with their jubilation, and already signs that they are more interested in rubbing their result in the faces of moderates than in moving on to what they need to do to win"

Hmm.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To be fair,my jubilation and smugness in going blue was of epic proportions,more fucking relief that it was an exception,I fully admit I was both correct and thankfully wrong in a good way.FWIW there is some smugness and why not to a degree given landslide predictions but I see hope and more work to do in the vast majority of reactions.He needs to move on,equally IMHO.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Afternoon all

I can't remember who said it but I agree with the person who said that it is amazing that all those pundits who were completely wrong about the chances of Corbyn and his potential electability now feel that they have the right to opine so strongly on what he must do to take the next step

Sorry if I get a bit annoyed about that

It should also be worth mentioning that most of us on this site, excluding one or two contributors, were miles out in our predictions. I am a supporter of the Labour leadership and even I was predicting an increased Tory majority.....I didn't trust my own instincts that the Tory vote was soft or that the pollsters methodologies were wrong, even though I had drawn those conclusions already

Tem was probably the only person on here who was confident Labour would do better than predicted (and he isn't even a supporter) and there were others confidently predicting 150 seats and 20% of the vote up until fairly recently

I am fed up to read people who were consistently wrong telling the leadership they must do this, or must include that person when they have been so wrong in the past.

The article above is a case in point. Inside it are some pretty arrogant dismissals of the Labour leadership. Some snide comments about smugness and then the great pompous wisdom to say that the party 'needs Liz Kendal to be involved'. Excuse me if I say that Liz Kendall has achieved absolutely nothing and been invisible apart from occasional criticisms of the the direct ion that the leadership was taking

I agree that to get the best there are probably some people who haven't contributed much since 2010 who could be involved in the SC - I hope Ed is ready to come back and Clive Lewis would be a good addition in my opinion

A lot of the others though have not demonstrated anything to help the party recently though. They may have a contribution to make but they have to earn the right and the confidence of the leader to be called back to the front bench. He cannot ask people to come back who have resigned in a pique and criticised him as some of those proposed have done. It is up to them to show they have earned he right to come back, rather than for him to go begging them to come back

Labour did pretty well without them

As to the comment on Corbyn not being a great Commons performer. That is true to a certain extent but not as much as the author made out - in fact, how do we know? It isn't easy to seem good in the HoC with a load of petulant children sitting behind you - more eager to support the Opposition than their own 'unelectable' leader

And again we have the old meme about 'Labour can't win without Blair' - times have move on and any commentator that says that loses me completely - I read the rest with a very critical eye

So, I think political commentators should learn to have a bit of humility after their complete inability to predict the election - which is what they should be able to do. Stop telling us what we must do and perhaps make some humble suggestions.

There may be another election in 6 months and for that time Labour has to be united and focusing attack on the Tiories. Anyone else who repeats the comments of Chris Leslie should be ostracised as Clive Lewis did the other day.

Even if people do not get back on the front bench they need to get out there and support the party for whom they are a representative. There is no room for disloyalty at the moment as we may have a chance to gain power at some point soon
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

StephenDolan wrote:
pk1 wrote:Good piece by Rupert Myers (no idea who he is or his political leaning) on what Labour needs to do to win the next GE

"The central message for Labour to absorb is that they lost, and that they are a long way from victory. There is much smugness and hubris mixed in with their jubilation, and already signs that they are more interested in rubbing their result in the faces of moderates than in moving on to what they need to do to win"

Hmm.
My emphasis.

It would be really helpful if that word could just disappear from the discourse.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[Ed Miliband has] got a new job. The former Labour leader will guest present Radio 2’s Jeremy Vine Show for the week beginning Monday 19 June, while Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative leader, will guest present for the following. (Politics Live, Guardian)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:@Gilsey,in short no/not necessarilly,a nanosecond is a long time in politics.Personally,hoping older people die off more for party politcal reasons not particularly progressive,I prefer a more positive approach.
I agree with this.

It is still good, though, to see the blatant "culture war" approach the Tories adopted to this election blowing up in their faces.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Does anyone know who's involved in this DUP meeting - other than Arlene Foster, Nigel Dodds and Theresa May? Who, for instance, is Nigel Dodds' counterbalance?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I reserve the right to claim,the evidence is there,I was indisputably correct.on any prediction I made.I didn't actually give one elsewise that proved me indisputably wrong,(but elevating to a score draw in assumptive terms)yet.I look forward,and work towards hopefully being so indisputably wrong in the future.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:I reserve the right to claim,the evidence is there,I was indisputably correct.on any prediction I made.I didn't actually give one elsewise that proved me indisputably wrong,(but elevating to a score draw in assumptive terms)yet.I look forward,and work towards hopefully being so indisputably wrong in the future.

I add you to my list of incredible predictors

So far

Hindle
Tem ermmmmmm that's it so far

I was shit!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:Does anyone know who's involved in this DUP meeting - other than Arlene Foster, Nigel Dodds and Theresa May? Who, for instance, is Nigel Dodds' counterbalance?
Gavin Williamson, the Chief Whip, was holding talks with the DUP at the weekend so I would expect him to be at today's meeting.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

howsillyofme1 wrote:
HindleA wrote:I reserve the right to claim,the evidence is there,I was indisputably correct.on any prediction I made.I didn't actually give one elsewise that proved me indisputably wrong,(but elevating to a score draw in assumptive terms)yet.I look forward,and work towards hopefully being so indisputably wrong in the future.

So far

Hindle

I was shit!
I predicted Tory majority of 2, but not on here ;-)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

So far

Hindle

I was shit!
I predicted Tory majority of 2, but not on here ;-)

I predicted that I'd be going to bed immediately after the exit poll!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Ok...

Hindle
Tem
PFY
PF (although I am a bit dubious about this qualification)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Afternoon all

I can't remember who said it but I agree with the person who said that it is amazing that all those pundits who were completely wrong about the chances of Corbyn and his potential electability now feel that they have the right to opine so strongly on what he must do to take the next step

Sorry if I get a bit annoyed about that

It should also be worth mentioning that most of us on this site, excluding one or two contributors, were miles out in our predictions. I am a supporter of the Labour leadership and even I was predicting an increased Tory majority.....I didn't trust my own instincts that the Tory vote was soft or that the pollsters methodologies were wrong, even though I had drawn those conclusions already

Tem was probably the only person on here who was confident Labour would do better than predicted (and he isn't even a supporter) and there were others confidently predicting 150 seats and 20% of the vote up until fairly recently

I am fed up to read people who were consistently wrong telling the leadership they must do this, or must include that person when they have been so wrong in the past.

The article above is a case in point. Inside it are some pretty arrogant dismissals of the Labour leadership. Some snide comments about smugness and then the great pompous wisdom to say that the party 'needs Liz Kendal to be involved'. Excuse me if I say that Liz Kendall has achieved absolutely nothing and been invisible apart from occasional criticisms of the the direct ion that the leadership was taking

I agree that to get the best there are probably some people who haven't contributed much since 2010 who could be involved in the SC - I hope Ed is ready to come back and Clive Lewis would be a good addition in my opinion

A lot of the others though have not demonstrated anything to help the party recently though. They may have a contribution to make but they have to earn the right and the confidence of the leader to be called back to the front bench. He cannot ask people to come back who have resigned in a pique and criticised him as some of those proposed have done. It is up to them to show they have earned he right to come back, rather than for him to go begging them to come back

Labour did pretty well without them

As to the comment on Corbyn not being a great Commons performer. That is true to a certain extent but not as much as the author made out - in fact, how do we know? It isn't easy to seem good in the HoC with a load of petulant children sitting behind you - more eager to support the Opposition than their own 'unelectable' leader

And again we have the old meme about 'Labour can't win without Blair' - times have move on and any commentator that says that loses me completely - I read the rest with a very critical eye

So, I think political commentators should learn to have a bit of humility after their complete inability to predict the election - which is what they should be able to do. Stop telling us what we must do and perhaps make some humble suggestions.

There may be another election in 6 months and for that time Labour has to be united and focusing attack on the Tiories. Anyone else who repeats the comments of Chris Leslie should be ostracised as Clive Lewis did the other day.

Even if people do not get back on the front bench they need to get out there and support the party for whom they are a representative. There is no room for disloyalty at the moment as we may have a chance to gain power at some point soon
I'd be amazed if JC brought anyone back, save at the junior level. They wouldn't have been generous to him if he'd lost badly, so why be generous when he has lost well.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am a moderate extremist.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I misassumed my more local conditions/specifics/opinions expressed(I repeat send reinforcements I am being surrounded)gleaned by conversations etc more generally applied.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yeah I became more optimistic in the final week of the campaign, but still thought Tory majority of 20-30 (and popular vote lead of c.5%) on the day.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

John Major says he is 'dubious' of proposed Tory/DUP pact

And he says other parts of the UK will be angered if the deal involves Northern Ireland getting extra funding. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis))

I don't think "angered" quite covers it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I was only correct on my particular constituency,clarification.Not particular hard thing to call.The plant pot before Corbyn, as P M.,previously applied has yet to be proved wrong,yet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Assuming May isn't a plant pot.