Wednesday 14th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 14th June 2017

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:There's a man (who, along with his family, has lost his home and all his possessions) being interviewed on the BBC News. He's saying that he's reluctant (or even totalling unwilling) to accept kind offers of temporary accommodation because he'll be putting himself at the back of the queue (or even not in the queue at all) for rehousing. How right he is, and how I sympathise with his awful dilemma.
Let's hope media attention on the council ensures they step up with temporary accommodation followed swiftly by permanent accommodation for all those affected, regardless of minimum legal requirements.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:There's a man (who, along with his family, has lost his home and all his possessions) being interviewed on the BBC News. He's saying that he's reluctant (or even totalling unwilling) to accept kind offers of temporary accommodation because he'll be putting himself at the back of the queue (or even not in the queue at all) for rehousing. How right he is, and how I sympathise with his awful dilemma.
Yes, many if not most residents will be rehoused a long way from K&C.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Laura Kuenssberg‏Verified account
@bbclaurak

Meanwhile DUP and govt talks continue, understand Treasury now looking thro the financial implications

This can't go on! anyone any idea how long May has to form a government before she has to admit its not working?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the ... 1.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Candy Crush, guffawing landlords and the filibustering of Philip Davies.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Laura Kuenssberg‏Verified account
@bbclaurak

Meanwhile DUP and govt talks continue, understand Treasury now looking thro the financial implications

This can't go on! anyone any idea how long May has to form a government before she has to admit its not working?
Google isn't being very forthcoming on this! I think as long as the DUP are indicating they are still negotiating, May can keep stringing it out. If the DUP announce they are walking away, I think she would have no choice but to resign. It's not especially clear though.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Willow904 wrote:
@bbclaurak

Google isn't being very forthcoming on this! I think as long as the DUP are indicating they are still negotiating, May can keep stringing it out. If the DUP announce they are walking away, I think she would have no choice but to resign. It's not especially clear though.
Gordon Brown did do a bit of this in 2010 didn't he?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tamper with Google?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
@bbclaurak

In a way yes, but he was having genuine negotiations to form coalition government, not looking to spend our money to buy power.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AngryAsWell wrote: In a way yes, but he was having genuine negotiations to form coalition government, not looking to spend our money to buy power.
Sure - I'm not passing any judgements here - just looking for precedent. Heath in Feb 1974 is probably more relevant.
Heath did not resign immediately as Prime Minister. Assuming that Northern Ireland's Unionist MPs could be persuaded to support a Conservative government on confidence matters over one led by Wilson, he entered into negotiations with Thorpe to form a coalition government. Thorpe, never enthusiastic about supporting the Conservatives, demanded major electoral reforms in exchange for such an agreement. Unwilling to accept such terms, Heath resigned and Wilson returned for his second spell as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
Hopefully :twisted:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Wilson had the most seats then, though. I think the chances that May will stagger on for a while are pretty good, unfortunately.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Because there will be people trying to deflect.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

It would be bloody hilarious if the coalition of chaos talks broke down over cancellation of the BBC licence fee.

Now why wouldn't May want to compromise on that one?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
@bbclaurak

Yes, of course, but he only went to the Queen (in this case to ask permission to resign) once he had talked to possible parties and sounded out whether he could form a government. Likewise David Cameron - he only went to see the Queen once he'd completed negotiations and was ready to form a government. Theresa May has already gone to the Queen to ask to form a government, before she's in the position to form one. It doesn't make much difference in practical terms, but in respect to tradition and protocol she's made a right pig's ear of it. The Queen will not be amused.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Anger as OCR exam board makes third mistake this summer – this time in biology A-level

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... gy-a-level" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G:
Baird, who advises seven major housing groups on fire safety, said the principles of the policy are based on flats that contain a fire for at least 60 minutes, sometimes up to three hours, before the fire service arrives.

However, he said this “60 minute box” principle goes out of the window if major refurbishment works have introduced defects.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Gordon Brown did do a bit of this in 2010 didn't he?
Yes, of course, but he only went to the Queen (in this case to ask permission to resign) once he had talked to possible parties and sounded out whether he could form a government. Likewise David Cameron - he only went to see the Queen once he'd completed negotiations and was ready to form a government. Theresa May has already gone to the Queen to ask to form a government, before she's in the position to form one. It doesn't make much difference in practical terms, but in respect to tradition and protocol she's made a right pig's ear of it. The Queen will not be amused.
Pig's ear indeed!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:Anger as OCR exam board makes third mistake this summer – this time in biology A-level

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... gy-a-level" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isn't that almost like presenting an otherwise blank sheet of paper with just the question number at the top, and the word "Discuss" printed at the bottom?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The BBC is now speaking irresponsibly and darkly (re Grenfell House) in terms of "whether accident or something more sinister" (they don't elaborate) whilst showing pictures of obviously Muslim women from the area. What can they possibly be trying to insinuate?

Edited to add

And (more sinister as the BBC would say)

Why and at whose behest? The correspondent should be reined in. Now. (And I speak as someone who really has no truck with any organised religion.)
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 14 Jun, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Lib Dem home affairs spokesman Brian Paddick resigns over disagreement with Farron

Brian Paddick, the Lib Dem peer and former police commander, has resigned as his party’s home affairs spokesman. Paddick has posted a tweet saying he is quitting over some of Tim Farron’s “views” that were highlighted during the election. (Politics Live, Guardian)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Vote Leave campaigner and Tory donor behind Parents and Teachers for Excellence campaign

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/vote-leave-cam ... -campaign/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:The BBC is now speaking irresponsibly and darkly (re Grenfell House) in terms of "whether accident or something more sinister" (they don't elaborate) whilst showing pictures of obviously Muslim women from the area. What can they possibly be trying to insinuate?

Edited to add

Why and at whose behest? The correspondent should be reined in. Now. (And I speak as someone who really has no truck with any organised religion.)
The yahoo news feed has a story about how it was local muslims who were the first to the scene to help.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

MFMS

Mean
For each subtract mean and square
Mean
=Variance

Square Root =SD.

(Think)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

@bbclaurak

I don't think she needs a deal. If she just put forward a QS I'd be amazed if the DUP opposed. They have issues with Corbyn and McDonnell.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:The BBC is now speaking irresponsibly and darkly (re Grenfell House) in terms of "whether accident or something more sinister" (they don't elaborate) whilst showing pictures of obviously Muslim women from the area. What can they possibly be trying to insinuate?

Edited to add

Sky news had an interview with one of the residents this morning who said he had been woken by his neighbour hammering on his door telling him his fridge had exploded & that the flats were on fire & they needed to get out. Assuming that is true, there's no need for anyone to be claiming it to be 'sinister' but we'll all find out in the fullness of time.

Those poor poor people :cry:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@PF I can go back,are you watching BBC News Channel and post just after,so I can try and find it?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:@PF I can go back,are you watching BBC News Channel and post just after,so I can try and find it?
It's on BBC News 24. It's a relatively newly-added bit of commentary (male voice - but not Welsh and not a choir). It cropped up for the first time in the last hour or so but it's now on the inevitable "loop".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

OK.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The republicans have cancelled a vote in congress to lighten up regulations on the sale and use of silencers on firearms after a republican congressman was shot this morning. (He is apparently going to be fine, so I can say 'oh the irony' without being too horribly uncaring and exploitative).
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tom Burridge (sp? around 15.14\15). It was just on.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

More appointments

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/elec ... pointments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Process times for PIP moving back up,now twice as long as last October.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Article from April

http://m.insidehousing.co.uk/7019613.ar ... te=enabled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Chesterfield and Bassetlaw both pull out of "Sheffield City Region devolution" attempts/deal.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Article from April

http://m.insidehousing.co.uk/7019613.ar ... te=enabled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bloody hell!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1618154 ... r-stunning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
If correct, this is potentially another stunning U-turn from a weak and wobbly Prime Minister - Rebecca Long-Bailey

Rebecca Long-Bailey MP, Labour’s Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, responding to news that senior Conservatives are urging a u-turn on their energy price cap manifesto promise, said:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There was a buildings officer (or whatever) explaining why central alarms are not fitted in residential tower blocks. Seemed like convincing reasons to me (provided the "containment" bit works - which it obviously didn't in this case). So, of course, to have fitted an alarm in Grenfell Tower would have been an admission that they knew the "containment" measures were faulty!

Edited -

"are" for "were"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

...and a new low is reached.

Britain First Provoke Muslims Helping Grenfell Fire Families Outside East London Mosque
The mosque is helping those affected by the fire.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... d4fbe4a201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Update at about 5.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Sometimes I don't know how people control their anger.

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Half expected him to be claiming he was overseeing response.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Unseemly haste, I know. But I hope that Labour is getting lined up to oppose any attempt to ship out those rendered homeless.

(Also - any news on the "people-registered-to-vote-but-turned-away-from-polling-stations" thing? Some voters might not bother next time, if these people are forgotten (or assumed to be forgotten).)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G:
Residents at the block were so concerned about fire safety after the recent refurbishment works in March that they requested an independent fire safety assessor to come in to review the safety of the building, but their request was rejected, the Labour councillor responsible for the block said.

She said tenants were concerned about the fire risk during and after recent refurbishment works and repeatedly raised their concerns with her.
Disturbing echoes of Aberfan. I really hope it turns out not to be on that scale. But the arrogant dismissal of concerns feels horribly familiar. Dark days.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:From the G:
Residents at the block were so concerned about fire safety after the recent refurbishment works in March that they requested an independent fire safety assessor to come in to review the safety of the building, but their request was rejected, the Labour councillor responsible for the block said.

She said tenants were concerned about the fire risk during and after recent refurbishment works and repeatedly raised their concerns with her.
Disturbing echoes of Aberfan. I really hope it turns out not to be on that scale. But the arrogant dismissal of concerns feels horribly familiar. Dark days.

Much stronger echoes with the 2009 Lakanal House fire.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

As above re controlling anger:

I'm tempted to say that no other developed country in the world would allow him near power. However, last November put paid to that.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... es-journey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... h-richards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... g-obituary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 14 Jun, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Higher education funding in England
Published Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Higher education underwent fundamental changes to how it was financed in England 2012 and there have been ongoing, albeit smaller, changes since then.
How has this affected the balance between the broad sources of funding - the taxpayer and graduate and how has the total funding from al sources for universities changed?
Jump to full report >> http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... y/CBP-7973

NHS Expenditure

NHS Expenditure by Rachael Harker.
Documents NHS expenditure since 1948; summary of the structure of the NHS and how it is financed.
Jump to full report >> http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... ry/SN00724

Freedom of information requests

This Library Briefing Paper gives an overview of freedom of information requests.
Jump to full report >> http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... ry/SN02950
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1618154 ... r-stunning
Labour Press
If correct, this is potentially another stunning U-turn from a weak and wobbly Prime Minister - Rebecca Long-Bailey

Rebecca Long-Bailey MP, Labour’s Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, responding to news that senior Conservatives are urging a u-turn on their energy price cap manifesto promise, said:
I'm still trying to figure out our energy statement
So is Mr citizen
The last country I lived in, we used the energy first then given notice of our account debit for the month
I'm not happy about an entire years' worth of estimated energy costs I've not used yet is sitting in a EnergyRUS account
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Architect Sam Webb says breaches of fire safety standards in UK are common and lessons from Lakanal House have not been learned

“I really don’t think the building industry understands how fire behaves in buildings and how dangerous it can be. The government’s mania for deregulation means our current safety standards just aren’t good enough.” (Guardian - my emphasis)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... wer-blocks