Wednesday 14th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 14th June 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

London fire: fears of people trapped as major blaze engulfs tower block – latest

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/liv ... timer-road" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lo ... ws_central" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 14 Jun, 2017 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 14th June 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.c ... with-fire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.frmjournal.com/news/news_det ... Kk.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/com ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Guardian view on public sector staff shortages: losing the numbers
Editorial
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-of-chaos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... re-by-half" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Side street routes to avoid city pollution can cut exposure by half
Clean air signposts and online walking maps to sidestep diesel fumes would benefit public health, finds study
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... re-by-half

Clean air signposts and online walking maps to sidestep diesel fumes would benefit public health, finds study
What a good idea.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

And now Long-Bailey on radio 4 refuses to say we should end freedom of movement. Back to re-education for her.

This kind of thing is just going to continue as Labour's position is, politely, contradictory. You can't end freedom of movement and "retain the benefits of the single market."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Regarding the "we/they can't do that/not possible thing(s),Government(s)has been breaking the law for over a month now in breaching the Pensions Act.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ected.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I don't know if anyone's linked this article by Patrick Butler yet. A good snapshot of the (presumably intended) consequences of Tory benefit reform:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -tightrope" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Low income families forced to walk 'relentless financial tightrope'
Survey by debt charity finds many families going without food, furniture and new clothes as they struggle with huge debts
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

;) They have now
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:And now Long-Bailey on radio 4 refuses to say we should end freedom of movement. Back to re-education for her.

This kind of thing is just going to continue as Labour's position is, politely, contradictory. You can't currently end freedom of movement and "retain the benefits of the single market."
Fixed that for you.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

In my young wild partying days,wish I could remember how we got the donkey up there,II used to live in a tower block in London on the nineteenth floor with two women,I have never been the same since.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

The grotesquerie of former Tory chancellors.

Part I:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40265875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part II:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Those Long-Bailey quotes

https://www.politicshome.com/news/europ ... would-back" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very different from McDonnell on Sunday for Kremlin watchers.

There is probably a generational divide. Leftists like Long-Bailey and Lewis grew up as Europeans and have a commitment to it that Corbyn and McDonnell don't.

Probably an intelligence divide too. I doubt Burgon grasps the subtleties.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:And now Long-Bailey on radio 4 refuses to say we should end freedom of movement. Back to re-education for her.

This kind of thing is just going to continue as Labour's position is, politely, contradictory. You can't currently end freedom of movement and "retain the benefits of the single market."
Fixed that for you.

No, I am afraid that is a contradiction in terms. It is a single because it has freedom of movement. If we didn't have freedom of movement between Sheffield and Leeds there wouldn't be a single market between them either.

The second order point (which is no less true though not a matter of logic) is that the practical likelihood of the 27 other member states agreeing to the UK retaining freedom to provide goods and services into the rest of the EU, whilst ditching freedom of movement, is nil.

Also note that no serious politician is claiming your position is viable. McDonnell is saying we must leave the single market because we're committed to ditch freedom of movement. Long-Bailey (somewhat incomprehensibly) is saying we should keep freedom of movement in order to stay in.

There are some liars out there (eg Umunna who claims we can end freedom of movement and stay in the single market. He has shown himself to be a fool.)
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Wed 14 Jun, 2017 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Do we never learn? This from todays Guardian.

Why are we reporting let alone listening to this devalued, cut and run opportunist who got us all into this in the first place. In the nations interest my arse!

Cameron urges May to adopt a "softer" Brexit
Here is more from the Financial Times story (paywall) about David Cameron, the Conservative former prime minister, urging Theresa May to adopt a “softer” Brexit. The paper quotes what Cameron told a conference in Poland.

“It’s going to be difficult, there’s no doubt about that, but perhaps an opportunity to consult more widely with the other parties on how best we can achieve it,” [Cameron] said.
“I think there will be pressure for a softer Brexit,” Mr Cameron added, saying that parliament now “deserves a say” on the issue. While also saying Mrs May was right to remain in office despite losing the majority that he bequeathed her, Mr Cameron warned “over Brexit, she is going to have to talk more widely, listen to other parties”.
At the ABSL gathering, Mr Cameron also highlighted the 13 newly elected Conservative MPs in Scotland and the call by Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Tory leader, for “an open Brexit”.
“There’s no doubt that there is a new player on the stage,” Mr Cameron said. “Scotland voted against Brexit. I think most of the Scottish Conservatives will want to see perhaps some changes with the policy going forward.”

By the way for those amongst us who will "jump" I am not commenting on the content I am merely asking why we even give him the opportunity to infect us with his devalued views.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... re-by-half

What a good idea.
Hear, hear
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

ScarletGas wrote:Do we never learn? This from todays Guardian.

Why are we reporting let alone listening to this devalued, cut and run opportunist who got us all into this in the first place. In the nations interest my arse!

Cameron urges May to adopt a "softer" Brexit
Here is more from the Financial Times story (paywall) about David Cameron, the Conservative former prime minister, urging Theresa May to adopt a “softer” Brexit. The paper quotes what Cameron told a conference in Poland.

“It’s going to be difficult, there’s no doubt about that, but perhaps an opportunity to consult more widely with the other parties on how best we can achieve it,” [Cameron] said.
“I think there will be pressure for a softer Brexit,” Mr Cameron added, saying that parliament now “deserves a say” on the issue. While also saying Mrs May was right to remain in office despite losing the majority that he bequeathed her, Mr Cameron warned “over Brexit, she is going to have to talk more widely, listen to other parties”.
At the ABSL gathering, Mr Cameron also highlighted the 13 newly elected Conservative MPs in Scotland and the call by Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Tory leader, for “an open Brexit”.
“There’s no doubt that there is a new player on the stage,” Mr Cameron said. “Scotland voted against Brexit. I think most of the Scottish Conservatives will want to see perhaps some changes with the policy going forward.”

By the way for those amongst us who will "jump" I am not commenting on the content I am merely asking why we even give him the opportunity to infect us with his devalued views.
Hear hear. Also, the subtext sounds horribly like "I shafted the Labour party when they collaborated with me on Scotland, perhaps we can do the same again."

'Cos we're Tories, and that's what we do.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Every time Dave speaks, heads hit table tops in despair
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

You broke it, you've bought it.

This flustercook is all down to you Tories. Own it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

norman smith (@BBCNormanS)

Deal between DUP and Govt cd be delayed until next week cos of aftermath of #grenfelltower and diary commitments of both leaders
June 14, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Alternatively -
Announcement of Tory/DUP deal postponed following London fire

Rajeev Syal

DUP sources are confirming that the Tory/DUP deal will not be announced today because of the Grenfell Tower fire. And they say that 95% of it is already agreed. But they are dismissing the suggestion that the final announcement will be postponed until next week. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 10.45.48.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 10.45.48.png (87.83 KiB) Viewed 24871 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

On Scotland......

The continuing emphasis on parroting the revival of Scottish conservatism under Ruth Davidson is interesting to compare with the reaction from tories to the job Jeremy Corbyn has done

According wisdom of the tories and their right wing acolytes in the media Ruth Davidson is soon to be raised to sainthood and the next leader (if she wants it) of the party.

Jeremy Corbyn, on the other hand, lost.Ah, but "terrorist sympathiser" Corbyn only got the votes of the impressionable and easily led young by bribing them.

But didn't Ruth Davidson (accepting that she also did a good job) lose?

Through my biased lens if anyone defied the odds of expectation then Jeremy Corbyn should, at least, be allowed some credit.

Can anyone sensibly explain to me the difference between the two results which justify such a jaundiced reaction or am I to assume that the continually corrupt stain on our democratic process i.e our esteemed media (both dead tree and visual) is still trying to set the nations agenda?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

"Don't politicise tragedies, you disgusting lefties" - where have we heard that before?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:

"Don't politicise tragedies, you disgusting lefties" - where have we heard that before?
It's awkward, I think, for some, when the truth gets told and there's nowhere to hide
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Any agreement on how delayed the agreement will be?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tories finished barely 1% ahead of Labour in the Scottish popular vote. A poll at the start of the campaign had them ahead by 33% to 13%.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Turns out that Diane Abbott really was ill, then. Who knew?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:Any agreement on how delayed the agreement will be?
After the Royal Ascot race meeting -

"This would allow the Queen to attend the Royal Ascot race meeting next week."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... g_share_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Is Stanley Baxter not available?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AngryAsWell wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... g_share_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So once we've sorted out the Garter ceremony (long in the diary), the horse racing (long in the diary) we might be able to get ready for the beginning of A50 negotiations that begin next Monday (long in the diary) so long as we've sorted the detailed negotiations about the precise nature of supply and confidence (interposed in the diary by May's decision to have an election.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

So once we've sorted out the Garter ceremony (long in the diary), the horse racing (long in the diary) we might be able to get ready for the beginning of A50 negotiations that begin next Monday (long in the diary) so long as we've sorted the detailed negotiations about the precise nature of supply and confidence (interposed in the diary by May's decision to have an election.)
Strength and stability, indeed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Supreme Court has narrowly upheld ban on NHS-funded abortion care due to government’s “respect” for decisions of the NI Assembly."

"Jeremy Hunt has confirmed ban on NHS-funded abortion care for NI women is due to political - not economic - considerations."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-i ... ce=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/exper ... lock-fire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

expert reaction to the Grenfell tower block fire
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:

Less than a fortnight ago, remarkably.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 12.01.19.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 12.01.19.png (451.74 KiB) Viewed 24716 times
Verhofstadt's five questions
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/he ... .ixqQzEPb6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here’s How To Donate Online To Help People Who Have Lost Their Homes In The Grenfell Tower Fire
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/exper ... lock-fire/

expert reaction to the Grenfell tower block fire
The role of the external cladding in the spread of the fire has been an early focus in a lot of the reports. A fire safety expert speaking a few moments ago on BBC News 24 also talked about the role fire doors are supposed to play in containing the spread of fire and suggested questions will be asked about why so much smoke apparently entered corridors and escape routes so quickly. It's the function of fire doors and containment zones that should allow people in the block not directly affected by a fire to remain safe within their flats until fire crew evacuate them. While the use of cladding will be very controversial, fire doors are not. There is no excuse for fire doors not being in place and adequately maintained. There are going to be a lot of questions, clearly.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Paul Waugh

Sha(d)ow Housing Sec John Healey currently updating Shad Cabinet on Grenfell fire. Meanwhile serious qs about Govt fire safety review delays
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

"Today's event is devastating and should not be tolerated."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Norman Smith

Am told no statement in Parliament on #grenfelltower
possible until after Queens Speech which is..who knows when....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@adam

I think Guy Verhofstadt's second question is very welcome - and its lack of any attempt at subtlety demonstrates how pissed off the EU is with the Government.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

HindleA wrote:#Norman Smith

Am told no statement in Parliament on #grenfelltower
possible until after Queens Speech which is..who knows when....
And yet...

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

NonOxCol wrote:

"Today's event is devastating and should not be tolerated."
Unfortunately, I think that his fears for the level of the death toll will be proved correct. Hopefully not quite as high as the figure he is positing, but I can't see it being anywhere near as low as it is at present.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There's a man (who, along with his family, has lost his home and all his possessions) being interviewed on the BBC News. He's saying that he's reluctant (or even totalling unwilling) to accept kind offers of temporary accommodation because he'll be putting himself at the back of the queue (or even not in the queue at all) for rehousing. How right he is, and how I sympathise with his awful dilemma.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May is proving herself to be even more despicable than I thought possible.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:Theresa May is proving herself to be even more despicable than I thought possible.
#DespicableMay