Thursday 15th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 15th June 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 15th June 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
The Conservatives and the DUP have been holding back their expected announcement of a minority government deal due to the tragic events in west London. Theresa May also wants time for talks with Sinn Féin and other Northern Ireland parties because of potential implications for power-sharing in Stormont. She is expected to meet parties today at Downing Street. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
When did the bolded bit suddenly enter her calculations? She's not mentioned it before.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

FTN member - speaks for itself.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile, the terminally clueless smugatron Matthew d'Ancona chooses today to defend austerity economics.

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

After seeing that Johnson at the London Assembly clip my blood is boiling.

It's early on but I can imagine a number of local government employees have been lined up to be pushed under the bus.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Was it the 2015 cladding?

and here

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... fell-tower" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A certain terrible irony in it not being 70s design but 21st century tarting up to blame.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... zwang.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conservative zugzwang

Mainlymacro
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-fi ... 428e201ad6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Retail sales volumes across the UK plunged by 1.2% in May as inflation bites deeper into household budgets. This is a deeper fall than the 0.8% decline expected, and will fuel worries that the UK economy is faltering.
From the Graun business live blog
I still believe in a town called Hope
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

adam wrote:
Retail sales volumes across the UK plunged by 1.2% in May as inflation bites deeper into household budgets. This is a deeper fall than the 0.8% decline expected, and will fuel worries that the UK economy is faltering.
From the Graun business live blog
This is xxxxxx than expected. The last set of economic data that matched that predicted was? Erm...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Death toll in Grenfell Tower expected to exceed 100.

David Lammy talking of corporate manslaughter and arrests.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Jo Maugham QC @JolyonMaugham

If residents of Grenfell Tower want legal help with compensation and responsibility many lawyers will be happy to help. For free. I will.

Good on him, great news. The outrage in response? Not so much.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

After seeing that Johnson at the London Assembly clip my blood is boiling.

It's early on but I can imagine a number of local government employees have been lined up to be pushed under the bus.
I know there are more important things right now, but I can't see all this helping any putative future leadership campaign.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Gov statement in Parliament this afternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May has been and gone (Kensington). She ticked the "no publicity" box. She's now back in Downing Street, apparently.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

From the writer of one of the most powerful articles I read about Hillsborough...
David Conn‏ @david_conn 24m24 minutes ago
More
The victims of this horrific disaster must not also suffer lies & blame-shifting, then have to fight years for the truth. #GrenfellTower
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I don't believe that the press didn't get a feel for the reception that Theresa May got (unless there was a 10 mile exclusion zone). Why aren't they reporting it? From what little information that's trickling through, she didn't meet anyone who wasn't part of "officialdom". Mind you, if I were affected by the Grenfell House catastrophe, the last thing I'd want would be Theresa May.

Edited - tidy up
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 15 Jun, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Queen's speech on for 21st June, apparently.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This is good, apart from the obligatory dig at JC at the end, why do they need to do that, the article is about the tories.
The Tories’ real problem is that they are now seen as reckless gamblers
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/06/the ... -gamblers/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the Tories’ real problem was that they went into this election entirely bereft of their usual Unique Selling Point. The Conservatives were not conservative. They were not a safe pair of hands. That normal vibe the Tories exude of ‘you don’t need to love us, but at least we can hold stuff together’ was missing the entire last part. They were not, in a nutshell, a safe and lazy vote for the risk-averse. Nobody was. And thus, in an election with only mad, risky shit on offer, there was simply no particular reason for the electorate to choose the particular mad, risky shit that was wearing a blue rosette.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Does this mean that Theresa May's meeting with the other Northern Irish parties is an irrelevance?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Queen's speech on for 21st June, apparently.

and...
David Blevins‏Verified account
@skydavidblevins
Follow
More
Sky sources: No agreement yet between Conservatives and DUP, despite Leader of the House confirming Queen's Speech next Wed.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

and...
@skydavidblevins
Follow
More
Sky sources: No agreement yet between Conservatives and DUP, despite Leader of the House confirming Queen's Speech next Wed.
Majority Maths catch-up

650 MPs - 7SF - The Speaker = 642 / 2 = 321+1 = 322 for a guaranteed majority

Cons - 317
Everyone else - SF - Speaker (so everyone else -8) = 321

(I think

Labour 262
SNP 35
LibDem 12
DUP 10
IndUnionist 1
Green 1)

Would the DUP risk bringing the government down on a confidence vote and forcing another election?
What happens to deputy speakers in votes?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

adam wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

and...
@skydavidblevins
Follow
More
Majority Maths catch-up

650 MPs - 7SF - The Speaker = 642 / 2 = 321+1 = 322 for a guaranteed majority

Cons - 317
Everyone else - SF - Speaker (so everyone else -8) = 321

(I think

Labour 262
SNP 35
LibDem 12
DUP 10
IndUnionist 1
Green 1)

Would the DUP risk bringing the government down on a confidence vote and forcing another election?
What happens to deputy speakers in votes?
Deputy speakers don't vote,. You have to take them off as well.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Two deputy speakers - one from each side so irrelevant to the maths.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I despair at the tartan Tories making that viable for May.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So, I guess everyone's seen the pic of Farage wishing POTUS a happy Birthday right?

:lol:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

My numbers don't add up - I forgot PC

Con 317
Lab 262
SNP 35
LD 12
DUP 10
SF 7
PC 4
Ind Uni 1
Green 1
Speaker 1

= 650

650 - SF - Speaker = 642 / 2 = 321 (which would be enough, the speaker would vote for the gov in a tie - not because Bercow but because tradition says so)

Lab + SNP + LD + DUP + PC + IndU + Grn = 325

- DUP (if they were to abstain) = 315

(It's unlikely to be the Queen's Speech that brings them down - they'll lose something significant along the way unless their whips are impeccably organised).
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

BofE 5/3 split decision on keeping interest rates as they are - so significant movement towards raising rates.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hurd statement at 1PM.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

DUP won't vote against the government at this stage, agreement or not.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... than-100bn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK student loan debt soars to more than £100bn
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

A couple of people have posted this at the Guardian:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 85238.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for those (like d'Ancona for instance) who still think he was a soft, liberal sort of Tory.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:A couple of people have posted this at the Guardian:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 85238.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for those (like d'Ancona for instance) who still think he was a soft, liberal sort of Tory.
Even earlier, there was his speech just after the 2011 riots. Health and safety laws to blame, apparently :roll:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Does anyone here know how effective as insulation the cladding stuff involved is? I keep hearing that, as a first-mention, it was used for cosmetic purposes and then "insulation" is always mentioned second. What I'm trying to get at is whether or not its effectivness as insulation is merely incidental to its cosmetic "value". (Insulation being of the greater benefit to residents whereas the cosmetic bit may well have been mainly for the benefit of non-residents.) Of course, I'm not trying to justify the use of crap materials if they are effective as insulation, so I hope at least somebody gets my drift . . .
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Someone, I don't remember who, said on Radio 4 yesterday that Grenfell tower was cold and damp in winter and insulated cladding was added to help remedy that.

edited to add: sorry, that does not answer your question PF
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky News is reporting that Theresa May has ordered a Public Enquiry.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:Does anyone here know how effective as insulation the cladding stuff involved is? I keep hearing that, as a first-mention, it was used for cosmetic purposes and then "insulation" is always mentioned second. What I'm trying to get at is whether or not its effectivness as insulation is merely incidental to its cosmetic "value". (Insulation being of the greater benefit to residents whereas the cosmetic bit may well have been mainly for the benefit of non-residents.) Of course, I'm not trying to justify the use of crap materials if they are effective as insulation, so I hope at least somebody gets my drift . . .
The manufacturers are Celotex, one of (if not the) main producers of thermal insulation boards so its main use would be insulation.

https://www.celotex.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Newsnight,referenced earlier worth a look,if not seen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... tower-fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May saying that those needing rehousing will be rehoused as close to where they live now as possible. I'll wait for the "it wasn't possible to . . ." excuse.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Does anyone here know how effective as insulation the cladding stuff involved is? I keep hearing that, as a first-mention, it was used for cosmetic purposes and then "insulation" is always mentioned second. What I'm trying to get at is whether or not its effectivness as insulation is merely incidental to its cosmetic "value". (Insulation being of the greater benefit to residents whereas the cosmetic bit may well have been mainly for the benefit of non-residents.) Of course, I'm not trying to justify the use of crap materials if they are effective as insulation, so I hope at least somebody gets my drift . . .
It's not effective insulation, it's my understanding it's a relatively inexpensive way to aesthetically enhance the exterior.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Will Patterson @WillJPatterson
·
14m

Mutterings abound that senior LibDems are to meet with Theresa May. It can't be what it looks like... Can it?!
Tim "no deals" Farron steps down and the rumour mill gets into gear. They surely wouldn't, though, would they? The Tories current hard Brexit leanings leave them further away from the Libdems than ever
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
It's not effective insulation, it's my understanding it's a relatively inexpensive way to aesthetically enhance the exterior.
Sorry CJA that just not right - see Celotex link above.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Interesting -
And here is the key takeaway.

Theresa May will try to pass the Queen’s speech even if her deal with the DUP has not by then been finalised, a Tory source has revealed. May is assuming that the DUP will not vote against the Queen’s speech, even if it does not, as she hopes, vote in favour. That is almost certainly a sound assumption (because of what the DUP has said about not wanting the Sinn Fein-supporting Jeremy Corbyn to become prime minister.) But it does suggest that a Tory/DUP deal is less of a certainty than many people assumed, and the source would not rule out May trying to run a minority government without a formal deal with the DUP.

I will post more from the briefing soon. (Politics Live, Guardian)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

There's been a flurry of activity in the Parents and Teachers for Excellent in the last few days. This lot want a 'knowledge-rich curriculum' which is fine as far as it goes but I do wonder who is stopping that happening.

And for an organisation that professes to be grassroots, installing Roger Scruton as their president seems to be a bit of an odd move.Especially when he comes out with risible self-pitying tosh like this.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2017/06/th ... -the-blob/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One day, I trust, Gove will be back in place as education secretary, which is the post that the country needs him to fill. Meanwhile it is for the rest of us, parents and teachers especially, to bring back knowledge to the classroom. Some of us have got together to establish Parents and Teachers for Excellence, which is designed to discombobulate the Blob. Please join us.
How about re-writing the National Curriculum?

Oh. Done that.

Trouble is that having pushed for academies to have autonomy, most secondary schools can now ignore it.

It's actually pretty hilarious to see the bind that the right have got into on this one.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
The manufacturers are Celotex, one of (if not the) main producers of thermal insulation boards so its main use would be insulation.

Apologies, my understanding of what the material was primarily used for is likely wrong then. The building is one of many in the UK built in the 1970's. The buildings are (were) safe, individual flats protected from fires started in another flat, fire doors worked, people were safe enough if they kept inside until the fire was extinguished. The exteriors of these buildings weren't pretty.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh, and the railing against the University of London got tiresome years ago. When you have an organisation that has the wondrous thing that is the Warburg Library, there isn't that much evidence of them being against knowledge.

In my narrow bit of academia, knowledge and deep learning seems to be thriving. Seminar series galore all year round (term time only of course) on every conceivable aspect - philosophy, literature, art, history etc etc.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Sorry CJA that just not right - see Celotex link above.
I've made a mistake, apologies.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Apologies, my understanding of what the material was primarily used for is likely wrong then. The building is one of many in the UK built in the 1970's. The buildings are (were) safe, individual flats protected from fires started in another flat, fire doors worked, people were safe enough if they kept inside until the fire was extinguished. The exteriors of these buildings weren't pretty.
Agree, but the main use of Celotex products is insulation, the fact they "prettied them up" for aesthetic reasons is secondary. As this is not the first fire where this cladding has been used (and blamed for) I suspect Celotex are going to have some hard questions to answer.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory election research found Boris Johnson was 'deeply divisive'
Focus groups suggested foreign secretary could have negative impact after role in Brexit, with Amber Rudd scoring better

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... y-divisive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No kidding
Money can buy a lot of things but it can't buy wisdom, compassion, love or trust