Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th June 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

or me
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:@seeing clearly as an ex worker in such establishments,i see it from both sides,sometimes we in effect rescued people from horrenduous home situations,we did endeavour to make it as personalised and homely as possible,jargon but hopefully you get what I mean.
I was a care worker. I was given the time to safely care for another. I didn't earn very much but the people I cared for were safe and so was I.
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 18 Jun, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/business-law-b ... sis-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A UK and EU Constitutional Analysis of Brexit
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Average German wo/man in the streets - thoughts on Brexit
http://www.dw.com/en/what-germans-think ... g-39298055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Johannita Müller: I hope Europe has the better cards. I really do. It's not good for the future if there are divisions everywhere. I would hope that the British back away from the Brexit.
Quite.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.dw.com/en/mood-in-germany-eu ... a-39298564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May's desperate attempts to retain power also drew a scathing dismissal from Germany's foreign minister.
"Here, people who created this sort of chaos would be long gone," Gabriel said.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@TC2 could agree on a platform.Compulsive dressing gown wearing not up for negotiation,however.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Mine has in built air conditioning,just the thing for hot days,like this.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:@TC2 could agree on a platform.Compulsive dressing gown wearing not up for negotiation,however.
well that's sensible brexit off the table
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ith-the-eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Biographies of the Civil Service representatives for the negotiations with the EU
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ith-the-eu

Biographies of the Civil Service representatives for the negotiations with the EU
I've been waiting ages!
Thank you.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:@seeing clearly as an ex worker in such establishments,i see it from both sides,sometimes we in effect rescued people from horrenduous home situations,we did endeavour to make it as personalised and homely as possible,jargon but hopefully you get what I mean.
After much editing. Succinct answer. I know there are much better, and people who get rescued from bad home situations, but this was not my experience, nor that of the workers, in a place with high ratings that was also a major money spinner. It was not a nice place, which is my point. And by all accounts many others exist like it. The saving grace for me was there was still LA involvement in the form of a directly employed social worker. Without which I would have had no awareness of rights, being in a totally alien situation. What kindness there was came from individual very overworked underpaid staff. And very momentary. There were no dementia cases at all, but there were also very few articulate people. And virtually no mingling encouraged.

Thankyou for being part of the caring world, homely would have been nice.

Edited to say thanks to CJA for being part of the caring world too. Nothing against carers. Just the ethos of some places they may have to work in where their workload does not give them time to be what they could be. You would hate my really longwinded. :oops:
Last edited by seeingclearly on Sun 18 Jun, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Delighted to discover this beer exists:
https://untappd.com/b/king-street-brew- ... ls/1482335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:
After much editing. Succinct answer. I know there are much better, and people who get rescued from bad home situations, but this was not my experience, nor that of the workers, in a place with high ratings that was also a major money spinner. It was not a nice place, which is my point. And by all accounts many others exist like it. The saving grace for me was there was still LA involvement in the form of a directly employed social worker. Without which I would have had no awareness of rights, being in a totally alien situation. What kindness there was came from individual very overworked underpaid staff. And very momentary. There were no dementia cases at all, but there were also very few articulate people. And virtually no mingling encouraged.

Thankyou for being part of the caring world, homely would have been nice.
(cJA emphasis)

There's nothing preventing this from being common but the parsimonious actions of central government
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@seeingclearly not questioning or lessening your experience,crucially mine was non profit,reasonably paid.I am saying your experience doesn't have to be like that in specific and general terms,it is a societal choice as to how much we value people enough to give a shit beyond making a profit from.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:@seeingclearly not questioning or lessening your experience,crucially mine was non profit,reasonably paid.I am saying your experience doesn't have to be like that in specific and general terms,it is a societal choice as to how much we value people enough to give a shit beyond making a profit from.
Exactly. And the basis for most of what I waffle on about.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Or repeat the we have to have a strong economy BEFORE without fear of even questioning.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Was that a waffling challenge,not that I am competitive or anything.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I was literally smothered with affection and gifts when I left,of course this could have been an outpouring of relief.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Nurturing people rather than assets makes for a stronger economy anyway. Nurturing assets just leads to bubbles that eventually burst.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tariff Stop Press Notice 18 (2017): new commodity codes for the Canada preference agreement

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -agreement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(pretends to know what the ###k it is)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@seeingclearly
Your postings here didn't cause me any discomfort at all.
You reminded me of the real joy I had caring for individuals.
It was good work and I loved it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Nurturing people rather than assets makes for a stronger economy anyway. Nurturing assets just leads to bubbles that eventually burst.
I had the greatest time care working. I was needed and I did my work very well. Rules were followed, boundaries respected, it was good. I was intermediary between the person I cared for, their family (if any) and medical personnel. Doctors required consistent reports and were able to trust my accurate, relevant information.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Downing Street has just announced that all residents of the tower will receive £5,000 in emergency funds and support workers will help them access it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A care worker has to spend time getting to know someone needing care
If either of us didn't feel comfortable, another person could better do the work, no pressure
I was often asked to work with people who'd had trouble finding a helper they liked
I was perfectly fine being 'fired' by those I cared for and it's likely the reason I never was
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com ... itics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The end of the cosy game of politics
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Here’s more from the group of victims, residents and community leaders who spent two-and-a-half hours with Theresa May. They hit out at the “longstanding neglect” of council buildings in the area.
The statement said:

We are devastated by this tragedy. We are angry about the inadequacy of the response and the longstanding neglect of our buildings by the council and building management.
We are grateful to the Prime Minister for listening to us and for the assurances she has given us but now we need to see real action and immediate results with centralised coordination of the relief effort with residents closely involved.
The Government must also take a serious look at the neglect and chronic underfunding of social housing over decades.
They added that local residents should be “consulted at all stages and that we should be listened to” in dealing with the fallout from the tragedy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The emergency money will be made up of £500 in cash and £5000 delivered through the department of work and pensions into bank accounts or similar in a single payment. This comes from the £5m that the prime minister announced on Friday.
The £500 cash is already being made available to those affected and further payments are available immediately from the council at Westway centre, or from Monday through the post office in Portobello road, as and when families need it.
The £5000 will be made available from Monday and support workers will assist households in accessing it – including those who don’t have bank accounts.
The discretionary fund is also being made available to meet funeral costs, and to top up payments for those households with complex or additional needs. The fund will be kept under review and will increase if necessary
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Have a good night, everyone
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Looking like Macron might have a smaller majority in the National Assembly than some polls had predicted. Turnout has been pitifully low.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... r-response" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have the Tories learned nothing about compassion?

Matthew d'Ancona

Ha ha continued ad infinitum
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.france24.com/en/20170618-liv ... nt-round-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If you are too hot,have the hottest curry you can stand,a non doctor writes.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... r-response

Have the Tories learned nothing about compassion?

Matthew d'Ancona

Ha ha continued ad infinitum
Indeed. What are the chances. Really.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Evening folks,
Here's a good article by Chi Onwurah.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -telegraph
I think she is destined for greatness (as one of the few scientist/engineers in the House).
Vested interest: I taught her science when she was 11.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/davi ... pean-union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017 ... ch+UK+2%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richard murphy on survation poll
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

[youtube]fyVz5vgqBhE[/youtube]
Boris Johnson -a grown man who looks like a seven year old who has spun himself in circles so long he has thrown up.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... mes-tapper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Just a reminder that there were no by-elections in the past week, I suppose we could all do with a rest ;)

At least four this Thursday, though.

On GE day, btw, there were 33 local council contests - in welcome contrast to recent trends (but of course backing up the wider results) Labour took four seats from the Tories without losing any. Tories also dropped a seat each to LibDems and Independents, whilst the LibDems meanwhile made a gain from UKIP (who, tellingly, did not even defend the seat)

Given the fast moving political scene generally, the coming contests may hold even more interest than usual. Hopefully I can carry on my weekly round ups :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Your efforts are very much appreciated.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson: the Brexit negotiations begin
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's some interesting points here about public health teams having been moved into local authorities.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yes.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Telegraph has David Davis tipped to become interim Tory leader.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

furcup still going strong I see
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Telegraph has David Davis tipped to become interim Tory leader.
Yep. Best of Britain.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archi ... +Report%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a substantial proportion of people think that the government has a duty to go ahead an implement the referendum result, even if they personally disagree with its outcome. For anyone campaigning for Britain to remain in the EU, that’s probably the more difficult obstacle… not convincing the public that Remaining would be good, but that it would be democratically legitimate.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/ ... lks-begin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are also fears that the UK has still not grasped how risky the “No deal is better than a bad deal” rhetoric has been, as a collapse in the talks would hurt Britain by an order of magnitude compared to the EU-27. As one former British negotiator laments, “This line was effectively bringing a knife to a gun fight. It served only to reduce trust and again make UK look like it was not a serious, constructive negotiator looking for a mutually beneficial outcome.”
We stopped being a serious country in 2010.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

It's all changed.

The political wind.

It's blowing elsewhere.

Towards something better.

Things have changed.