Wednesday 21st June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 21st June 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -in-runoff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Republicans also won South Carolina 5th but closer than expected.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 21st June 2017

Post by HindleA »

Universal credit rollout in North Kensington halted after tower fire

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apparently "consultation" on social care in Queen's Speech'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Same with "energy cap"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

8 Brexit related Bills
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not in full regalia and a car apparently.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Morning folks,
A German perspective on the state of the UK:
http://www.voxeurop.eu/en/2017/uk-and-brexit-5121166
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:8 Brexit related Bills
Yep looks like Keir Starmer has a busy year ahead!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
It'll be like the art 50 debacle I assume. When push comes to shove, they'll vote with the government for fear of being labelled Remainera.

The letter in the graun today from the 50 Labour MPs saying we should be members of, and not just have meaningless access to, the single market is similarly hypocritical.

Some of those clowns (though not all) voted for invoking article 50 without conditions. (Eg the appalling Umunna). All of them fight on a manifesto committing Labour to leaving the single market.laughable fools.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Wed 21 Jun, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
Mark Thomas‏ @markthomasinfo 2m2 minutes ago
More
Everyday is a day of rage in the Daily Mail.
Quite.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
It'll be like the art 50 debacle I assume. When push comes to shove, they'll vote with the government for fear of being labelled Remained.

The letter in the graun today from the 50 Labour MPs saying we should be members of, and not just meaningless access to, the single market is similarly hypocritical.

Some of those clowns (though not all) voted for invoking article 50 without conditions. (Eg the appalling Umunna). All of them fight on a manifesto committing Labour to leaving the single market.laughable fools.
You find it laughable, reasonable folk call it politics.

Labour have positioned themselves nicely here and in truth you know it. They have a simple test to apply: "Brexit for the many not the few". If they can say hand on heart that the proposal is not in the interests of the many, they can and will I'm sure vote against.

This will be quite a lot of things and I look forward to some forensic work from Starmer.

This is not to say there are no pitfalls for Labour. Freedom of movement will cause some trouble. But listening to Hammond too, it looks MUCH less likely than a few months back that we will leave the Single Market.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Couple of things I was ruminating on this morning.

Possibly having another GE so soon must be a potential drain on party finances.

The Tories increase in the CDE vote, is this Brexit led or are they heading towards a parallel with the GOP?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's an awful lot of Tories talking about today's protest and the fact the police are over-stretched.

These will be the same that would quite like to see even bigger cuts in the public sector...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:Universal credit rollout in North Kensington halted after tower fire

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A DWP spokesperson said: “The priority is to make sure people affected by the Grenfell Tower fire get the help they need. That’s why we will defer the rollout of the full universal credit service to North Kensington that was due to take place next month
What an admission of failure that is.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

gilsey wrote:
HindleA wrote:Universal credit rollout in North Kensington halted after tower fire

A DWP spokesperson said: “The priority is to make sure people affected by the Grenfell Tower fire get the help they need. That’s why we will defer the rollout of the full universal credit service to North Kensington that was due to take place next month
What an admission of failure that is.
Indeed. Why delay it, IDS said that all on UC would be better off.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Stewart Wood.
UK politics 2017-19 will be dominated by two trends: the chaos of Brexit paralysing government, & the chaos of government paralysing Brexit.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Really good thread on Brexit

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Booo to our political class. Booo to our media. Shame on them all.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
This will be quite a lot of things and I look forward to some forensic work from Starmer.

This is not to say there are no pitfalls for Labour. Freedom of movement will cause some trouble. But listening to Hammond too, it looks MUCH less likely than a few months back that we will leave the Single Market.
Politically? Yes Labour did very well.

In terms of ensuring we all are not made very much worse off, in particular the poorest?

No, Labour's Brexit position is utterly disgraceful in that regard.

Starmer will just roll over, just like last time. Because Labour's policy is the same as the Tory's.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Blessed are the piss takers.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_59493 ... 9ed1a6/amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Did we have this? There's a mistake in it re social care in the tory manifesto, but that's a minor quibble. Reactionary/progressive neo-liberals vs. social democracy, and has a go at Toynbee, who I stopped reading yonks ago so I'm glad to see it.
http://www.primeeconomics.org/articles/ ... democracy-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Universal provision far more than a vote-grabber, it is the only viable and sustainable way to organize a just society
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

In terms of ensuring we all are not made very much worse off, in particular the poorest?

Starmer will just roll over, just like last time. Because Labour's policy is the same as the Tory's.
Which Tory? There are still a few left :twisted:

Actually Hammond and Corbyn sound quite close on Brexit don't they?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

"The Queen’s speech will include plans for “a publicly-funded advocate to act on behalf of families involved in a Hillsborough-style tragedy”
from the Graun's daily politics.

They could call it 'Legal Aid'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Duke of Edinburgh poorly, taken into hospital last night. Something weird happened at the start of News at 10 on the BBC - the news channel had the presenter sitting at the desk just waiting whilst BBC1 had a test screen saying 'we will clear this fault as soon as possible' - I wondered if somebody had died then. Of course it might have bene nothing to do with this...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

StephenDolan wrote: The Tories increase in the CDE vote, is this Brexit led or are they heading towards a parallel with the GOP?
First thing, this group includes the vast majority of pensioners. Labour had a big lead with WORKING people in those categories.

Secondly, yes I think Brexit was a significant factor - anybody else remember May's appeal for Labour people to "lend" their votes to her because of it?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Which Tory? There are still a few left :twisted:

Actually Hammond and Corbyn sound quite close on Brexit don't they?
Corbyn personally wants us out of the EU. Hammond doesn't. For Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne, Murray, Fisher, ad Lansman, the EU is a capitalist ramp preventing the UK from doing all the wonderful state aid things it would like to do.

Maybe on this one issue Corbyn has changed his mind from his voting record over 35 years. His actions before, during and since the referendum don't support that.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Corbyn personally wants us out of the EU. Hammond doesn't. For Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne, Murray, Fisher, ad Lansman, the EU is a capitalist ramp preventing the UK from doing all the wonderful state aid things it would like to do.

Maybe on this one issue Corbyn has changed his mind from his voting record over 35 years. His actions before, during and since the referendum don't support that.
During the referendum he and McDonnell toured labour constituencies and labour audiences and repeatedly hammered out the message that we needed to vote remain, that the EU was imperfect but leaving would be much much worse. I saw McDonnell, my other half saw McDonnell and Corbyn. Labour voters voted remain at roughly the same percentage as green, lib dem and SNP voters. 'Corbyn lost the referendum' (which you don't say here but it's a path you're going down) is nonsense.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not just that, but "Corbyn DELIBERATELY lost the referendum". For a few people, it really is a modern day version of the Dolchstosslegende.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

adam wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

During the referendum he and McDonnell toured labour constituencies and labour audiences and repeatedly hammered out the message that we needed to vote remain, that the EU was imperfect but leaving would be much much worse. I saw McDonnell, my other half saw McDonnell and Corbyn. Labour voters voted remain at roughly the same percentage as green, lib dem and SNP voters. 'Corbyn lost the referendum' (which you don't say here but it's a path you're going down) is nonsense.
#

I didn't say he lost the referendum. It would have been lost regardless. I wasn't even making a complaint about the lacklustre Labour referendum campaign. I'm saying that it is highly unlikely that he has changed his mind about the EU, and there is no real evidence that he has. He behaves as political expediency requires him to.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I don't think this is terribly likely, but I wonder whether in delaying any formal agreement with the DUP the government are pleased to avoid having to list more nakedly partisan legislation in the Queen's Speech.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:I don't think this is terribly likely, but I wonder whether in delaying any formal agreement with the DUP the government are pleased to avoid having to list more nakedly partisan legislation in the Queen's Speech.
Though it is claimed May's pipedream to censor the internet is still in there?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

No fox-hunting, no new grammar schools? Quick, BBC, get Farage on the blower!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ns-for-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... fing-notes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 21 Jun, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So the first winners from GE2017 are foxes and comprehensive schools it seems ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Oh and school dinners :-)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Oh and school dinners :-)
Children and small animals.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

...and no Trump visit
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bonnie Greer‏
@Bonn1eGreer

Has HM joined... @EUflagMafia?

:lol:

But then. she is well known for dressing very carefully to suit the occasion ....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:...and no Trump visit
Has there been an actual announcement on that?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Hello. Firefighters' initial reaction to Grenfell.

There is someone on the thread who blames the man with the fridge.

Job done once again by the RW press.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:Hello. Firefighters' initial reaction to Grenfell.

There is someone on the thread who blames the man with the fridge.

Job done once again by the RW press.
Just look at that "someone's" Twitter bio. I don't think they needed much "convincing" by the press quite frankly :twisted:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sad to see but not surprising continued zero recognition that social care is not "the elderly" increasingly obvious intended fundamental pernicious.divisive propagandisation of the "generational theft/fairness theme.One third.of working age for one thing.Any consultation predicated on falsity,burden/cost rather than judicious investment is fundamentally flawed and doesn't bode well.IMHO.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Some interesting reads on this site, which I don't think I've seen before.
http://www.progressivepulse.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eg
Amid the seeming surprise of the Serious Fraud Office opting to prosecute Barclays Bank personnel (at last) there is one particular aspect that we should try to draw attention to.

The BBC says that Barclays may have ‘given’ the money to Qatar to buy its own shares. If Barclays had the money in the first place there would presumably be no reason to give it to anyone – they already had it!

But Barclays didn’t ‘give’ it, they created it.

What should become crystal clear in the prosecution is that Barclays could create the money only by making a loan.

Barclays didn’t have the money but they could create it as a loan for a willing party – out of thin air.

Indeed Professor Richard Werner has always maintained that this is exactly what happened.

The serious Fraud Office obviously thinks along the same lines. Let us hope the fact that it is a criminal trial does not prevent the public from learning that this system of money creation is going on all the time and creates 97% of money in the economy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Re Trump-very unlikely,not definitive.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G
Like Black Rod, another ancient fixture of our constitution is the Labour MP Dennis Skinner, a republican, who by tradition always makes a joke at this point. This time it’s rather a good one – a reference to the fact the Queen is heading for Royal Ascot later.

Get your skates on. First race is at half past two.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:...and no Trump visit
Has there been an actual announcement on that?
I'm reading all state visits are announced in the Queens speech, as indeed was the Spanish visit - later this year - in this one.
Not being in has been taken as "not happening" by the pundits I'm reading on twitter.

*edit to help a stray "e" find its way home
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

[youtube]zIktNjgbf4s[/youtube]
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... in#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nd-ons-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Local flats acquired according to the Beeb.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sixty-eight flats in £2bn luxury block to be given to families whose lives were devastated in Grenfell blaze
EXCLUSIVE: fire-hit residents to be given permanent homes in luxury block

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/s ... 69876.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;