Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th June 2017

Post by HindleA »

"skirt wearing left wing thugs"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:But he LOOKED THE PART, you know. And to some, that is all that matters.
Sounded it too, the accent
Yep, too many people still "love a toff". Its one of the explanations for BoJo's long standing (though thankfully at last diminishing) popularity.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Have we had this?
Ministers in abrupt U-turn over fire safety in schools

Government goes back to drawing board after deciding that cost-cutting rules ‘would have been a disaster’ in light of Grenfell Tower disaster
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ew-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

adam wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Barking.
And I don't mean East London.
It was still in Essex when I were a young-un . . .
Was it though, or was it one of those places that you think of as in one place but are strictly speaking in another? I was born a mile or so 'less east' in the London Borough of Newham, and I know that now Ilford, just to the north, is in the London borough of Redbridge. Looking it up, it's been the municipal borough of Barking, and later the london borough of barking and dagenham, since 1931 - if it was in Essex before then you were young indeed.

(ETA - I apologise for the utterly irrelevant pedantry of this, but only a bit.)
I'm in the LB of Redbridge but my postal address is Ilford, Essex...anyone that lives in a London Borough but doesn't have an E,N,S,W or variant postcode will be in the same position.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I'm in the LB of Redbridge but my postal address is Ilford, Essex...anyone that lives in a London Borough but doesn't have an E,N,S,W or variant postcode will be in the same position.
I helped to waste a small but still ridiculous amount of money by helping draft an order referring some children to the social services department of Essex County Council when in fact their Ilford address meant they should have been referred to Redbridge. In my defense the rest of the people drafting were barristers, one a very senior junior.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ordability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Observer view of the housing crisis.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ry-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schools teach chess to help ‘difficult’ pupils concentrate
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... atic-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Civil war has broken out inside the Democratic party. Does the future belong to the populist left or the centrists?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/scie ... homes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cuts to medicaid may limit access to nursing homes.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -is-normal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Ten years on we are forced to take stock, and what’s happened? We’ve gone backwards,” O’Grady says before a TUC conference on Monday to launch a campaign for better jobs and pay.

“My feeling is that the government needs to get its act together pretty fast. I am not overly optimistic on this front. But if they learned anything from that election campaign, then they should have learned there is a real appetite for real change in the workplace.”
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 06471.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I suggest that from a UK perspective, we need to think long-term. This initial deal will not be an optimal one. So we need to figure out the long-term aims, which must surely put security, prosperity and opportunity for the next generation at the top of the scale. There will be a close continuing relationship with Europe, but also one with the rest of the English-speaking world. If we can use the freedom of Brexit to become more open to the rest of the world then that will create more opportunities, not fewer. The big point here is that the country has to look out, not in. Brexiteers need to become more open in their mindset. Remainers need to see what has happened as an opportunity, albeit along not a path they would have chosen themselves.
Perhaps I am misreading this piece ("sky's not fallen in" = red mist) but it makes me unspeakably angry.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Repeat from link Mainlymacro

"When a few months after the referendum Brexiteers started claiming that the economists had been proved to be completely wrong, I decided to score this match between Brexiteers and Economists. Goals would come from actual events, not from unconditional forecasts. The first goal of this match had been scored by the Economists within seconds of the match starting: the collapse in sterling would make nearly all British citizens poorer. The second arrived shortly afterwards, as the Bank decided to cut rates and restart QE to offset the negative impact of Brexit.

The Brexiteer side later claimed that this second goal shouldn’t count, because the economy did not collapse in the second half of 2016. But the main reason that happened was because consumers dipped into their savings, something that was not sustainable. The Bank did not reverse its decision. Forecasts went up and down, but this match is based on events, not forecasts.

The next goal was the election of Donald Trump. At first Brexiteers claimed it was a goal for their side, as Trump had been in favour of Brexit. But the reality soon dawned that Trump, like Brexiteers, lied all the time: he had no intention of making any trade deals with the UK before doing one with the EU first (as Obama had said, we would be way down the list). In addition a trade deal with Trump began to look like something it might be better not to have. That blew apart Brexiteers claims that they could quickly get new trade deals outside the EU to make up for lost trade with the EU. They had scored a goal, but it was in their own net.

If at this point you are thinking the referee is biased, I should add that he subsequently ruled out two goals claimed by Economists. The first was invoking Article 50. Economists claimed that was a foolish thing to do because it would leave the UK fighting against the clock. The referee ruled it out because that was a forecast, and the Brexiteers were still claiming that No Deal was better than a bad deal for the UK. The second was the first quarter GDP figures, with no growth in GDP per head. The referee rightly said that this could just be erratic data and we would have to wait for another quarter at least.

But with the score at 3:0 to the Economists the chances of a Brexiteer win still seemed remote. We now entered the most exciting period of the game yet. The Brexiteer captain called a general election, which she foolishly said was to enable her to consolidate her Brexit position. The Brexiteers threw everything into attack, but this left them weak at the back and a swift counterattack led to the fourth goal in the Brexiteer net. A despondent team then conceded without any resistance a fifth goal, when they agreed to the structure of negotiations set out by the EU. It was now clear the Economists had been right, and starting the Article 50 process had been a huge mistake. Trying to use EU migrants as a bargaining chip became a cruel failure, a tactic apparently invented by the captain herself.

With the Brexiteers now 5:0 down, and with the only prospects being further successful strikes by the Economists (the divorce payment, an interim settlement that effectively keeps existing trade arrangements including free movement), it looks like certain defeat for the Brexiteers. If I had started this off as a boxing match rather than a football match, I could have had the referee calling an end to this fight. It now seems absolutely clear that the Economists have been proved right and the Brexiteers horribly wrong about the economics of Brexit. But Boris Johnson or David Davis are favourites to be the next Prime Minister, Gove is back in the Cabinet and someone is calling for an inquiry into economists because they are "dangerously irrelevant", so what do I know?"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 05566.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brexit: Losing care staff from EU could force disabled people from their homes, report warns

And much more

"We are proud of meeting the threshold of grave or systematic violations of the rights of persons with disabilities"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Health Bill Would Threaten Care for Kids in Foster Care
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... atic-party

Civil war has broken out inside the Democratic party. Does the future belong to the populist left or the centrists?
Oooh, let me have a stab at answering that one......
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The state of this. Take a look at when it was sent and to where.

Playing politics with Armed Forces Day? He must be so proud...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- ... p-13235562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tories line up Surrey MP Philip Hammond as 'caretaker' Prime Minister to shore up Brexit talks
Runnymede and Weybridge MP Philip Hammond is reportedly being lined up to take over from embattled Prime Minister Theresa May
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The likely timetable, says The Times, for any such move would see Mr Hammond serve with Mr Davis his deputy until Brexit in 2019, with the public potentially given a say on the final deal.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

More TM types of Brexit/Government:

Morecambe and Wise
Fine and dandy
Shipshape and Bristol fashion
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Poll by PanelBase has Labour leading the Tories by 46-41. May has an approval rating of minus 17, and Corbyn........wait for it.......plus 17.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Fruit 'n' Fibre
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:"skirt wearing left wing thugs"
Those boys looked great in their skirts, didn't they. Apropos of absolutely nothing.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Darby and Joan. Fish and chips. Bangers and mash. Tripe and onions.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re the above poll news - it is just a matter of months ago that Corbyn was less popular than Paul Nuttall. IN LONDON.

I am genuinely struggling to recall a similar turnaround in my lifetime - only Thatcher pre and post Falklands approaches this I think.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This is a terrific remainer rant, apologies if we've already had it.
http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just want to say something about his conclusion.
even supposing that by some miracle a way emerges to simply continue as EU members and to drop this Brexit nonsense entirely, our country will never be the same again.
In that event, we'd surely have seen the last of the tories for many, many years. So never the same again, but not necessarily worse.

Personally I think the only way brexit can be avoided is by giving priority to the Union, imo the economic arguments aren't going to cut through.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Stewart Lee, in the G:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tewart-lee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In London, there is no government. Nationwide, the tarmac melts. At Ascot, men’s dress code is relaxed, a sure sign of disaster. And, unless my hearing is playing up, someone in the queue behind me at Hilton Park services said that our next Tory prime minister will be a tree frog named Jacob. The centre cannot hold.
Note: I quite like tree frogs (to look at, I don't know any). The same is not true for the man with the nan(ny).
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

In the last week, the leftwing commentariat has written a lot of hysterical rubbish about the Conservatives going into partnership with the apparently antediluvian Democratic Unionists. Caroline Lucas, of the Green party, even called them “dinosaurs”, which shows her own ignorance. The DUP don’t actually believe in dinosaurs, so I imagine her clever metropolitan liberal elite insult was just primordial soup off a hadrosaur’s spine fin.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.cityam.com/267268/brexit-sec ... ip-hammond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit secretary David Davis has slammed colleagues speculating about Theresa May's leadership, calling the "self indulgent".

Asked by Andrew Marr whether another leadership contest would be catastrophic to the Tories, Davis responded: "Yes. I happen to think we've got a very good Prime Minister."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.cityam.com/267268/brexit-sec ... ip-hammond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit secretary David Davis has slammed colleagues speculating about Theresa May's leadership, calling the "self indulgent".

Asked by Andrew Marr whether another leadership contest would be catastrophic to the Tories, Davis responded: "Yes. I happen to think we've got a very good Prime Minister."

Should a man with such faulty judgement be conducting the "Brexit" negotiations?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I confess I don't always click on hindle's links, so sorry if this has already come up. You might not want to watch the programme, but the article is worth reading unless you have high blood pressure.
Life swap … landlords are being given the chance to live like their tenants
Will they put up with the terrible conditions some tenants have to suffer? A new BBC programme is putting them to the test
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... buy-to-let" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“There are two types of people, winners and losers – and I am a winner,” says Dan. He and Jamie rarely visit the homes they bought on the cheap. “They are mostly in the north-east. I can’t remember the last time we actually went to the area,” says Jamie.
Once the landlords are confronted with the condition of their properties, most say they had no idea, largely blaming the tenants for not telling them of any issues. When Linda’s landlord, Peter, sees the state of his property, he says: “I’ve never heard from her. If there were issues I would expect her to call.”

After a night spent shivering in the cold, damp flat and going to bed in thermals, hoodie and a fleece, he says: “It hasn’t been cared for, and maintenance issues were not reported … I’m disappointed with Linda not coming forward.”
:fire:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I can't understand how Parliament can break up for the summer hols as if things are just plodding along as usual. Surely there's a case for shortening the break?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Good afternoon.

No, definitely not in hock to the right-wing press and shock columnists, and definitely sought a stronger mandate to fight off the hard Brexiteers in her party.

Definitely.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://lartsocial.org/dependency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.vox.com/2017/6/24/15867614/ ... ing-period

Senate GOP expected to add new penalties for the uninsured into their health bill
of course they will
they'll make it illegal being born without money
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think that this is a "must read".
Decent homes for all… Has the social housing dream died?

In the wake of the Grenfell Tower tragedy, it is clear that Britain’s social housing is in crisis. As a new film looks at the legacy of Thatcher’s right-to-buy, Rowan Moore asks whether the postwar housing ideal can be revived. Below: David Harewood, Kerry Hudson and others on their experiences of council estate living (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ght-to-buy
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... rt-protest
v delighted about the box-pleat rebellion - and indeed its success.
I love them for it, well done
creative, effective, non-violent protest
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.dispossessionfilm.com/#0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SophyRidge On Sunday‏Verified account
@RidgeOnSunday
Follow
More
"I've seen nothing like this" - @Conservatives MP Ken Clarke says current Tory problems are at their worst in 50 years #Ridge
Really?

Excellent!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 06471.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I suggest that from a UK perspective, we need to think long-term. This initial deal will not be an optimal one. So we need to figure out the long-term aims, which must surely put security, prosperity and opportunity for the next generation at the top of the scale. There will be a close continuing relationship with Europe, but also one with the rest of the English-speaking world. If we can use the freedom of Brexit to become more open to the rest of the world then that will create more opportunities, not fewer. The big point here is that the country has to look out, not in. Brexiteers need to become more open in their mindset. Remainers need to see what has happened as an opportunity, albeit along not a path they would have chosen themselves.
Perhaps I am misreading this piece ("sky's not fallen in" = red mist) but it makes me unspeakably angry.
The UK already has close relationships with the rest of the English-speaking world. Everything the author claims to want for the UK, it already has, without the necessity of Brexit. Brexit discards the UK's valuable trade and social commitments created with UK involvement over decades. Opportunity for rebuilding exists after destroying what's already there. Demolition is expensive and time-consuming.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:The state of this. Take a look at when it was sent and to where.

Playing politics with Armed Forces Day? He must be so proud...
Many responses were good
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
HindleA wrote:"skirt wearing left wing thugs"
Those boys looked great in their skirts, didn't they. Apropos of absolutely nothing.
For young people to feel comfortable enough to do this requires a lot of self-esteem and consistent support. I'm proud of their parents and community.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:But he LOOKED THE PART, you know. And to some, that is all that matters.
Sounded it too, the accent
Yep, too many people still "love a toff". Its one of the explanations for BoJo's long standing (though thankfully at last diminishing) popularity.
I've never listened to Boris Johnson speak. I've only realised this now. I don't regularly listen or watch media, it's not surprising I've not heard Johnson. I sometimes read what he's either written or said.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brita ... SKBN19F05M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://jacobinmag.com/2017/06/grenfell ... ing-safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://newsthump.com/2017/06/25/queen-s ... se-racing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

60 tower blocks in 25 la areas.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.katebelgrave.com/2017/06/dhp ... s-wrecked/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -mcdonnell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Addressing a debate on Sunday at the Glastonbury festival , in Somerset, chaired by the Guardian’s John Harris, McDonnell said: “Is democracy working? It didn’t work if you were a family living on the 20th floor of Grenfell Tower. Those families, those individuals – 79 so far and there will be more – were murdered by political decisions that were taken over recent decades.”
“The House of Lords – 92 of them are there on the basis of who Charles II shagged at some point in the past,” he said. “It can’t be right that we have a House of Lords that’s based upon those people appointed rather than elected."