Tuesday 27th June 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 27th June 2017

Post by citizenJA »

"I am convinced that there is no weakness in Britain today that cannot be overcome by the strength of the British people. On this day I remember words that have stayed with me since my childhood and which matter a great deal to me today. My school motto: I will try my outmost. This is my promise to all of the people of Britain. And now let the work of change begin."

- Gordon Brown
UK Prime Minister
27 June 2007
(cJA emphasis)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
He promised "change" but, largely, didn't deliver it. That's when left wing parties really get hammered (as recently shown even more starkly in France)

Still, history will recall that he rose to the occasion when it was most needed (after the 2008 financial crash) That cancels out quite a few negatives.
I hadn't read your post prior posting part of Brown's speech, AK. I intend no criticism of your post. I wasn't prepared to be as moved as I was by Brown's speech.
I'm a Labour party member because Labour is mostly decent, well-intended and often capable of very successful government.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Doing your best is all you can do
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:[

My advice, again, is to stop talking about "The Single Market". For ever. Keir Starmer gets this. It belongs in the past. We need to talk about what we want for people, not an agreement that people are suspicious of and that for many didn't seem to improve their lives.
What are you on about? The UK is much, much richer than in 1993, and a lot richer than it would have been absent the Single Market. It has been worth thousands of pounds per head. That increased wealth in turn enables lots of lovely things like hospitals to be paid for.

What a shame the Lexiters are winning.
Attachments
GDP.png
GDP.png (157.32 KiB) Viewed 13953 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

The above for me continues to explain almost everything.

There is nobody alive in the UK who has lived through such a long period when the average person used to be better off.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Five local council byelections last week, the first since the GE:

East Cambridgshire DC - Tory hold with just under 60 per cent of the vote in a two member ward which voted for Independents in its original incarnation in 2003, but the Tories duly took both seats in 2007 and went on to make this very safe. How safe is shown by the fact their share was actually modestly down on 2015, but they were still way ahead of the LibDems who went up by 4 per cent since then. Labour 3rd and last with 15%, very little changed on last time or indeed 2011.

Stockton-on-Tees - Tory hold, with a modest increase taking them to just over half the vote. This ward has duly returned three Tories since the initial election on these boundaries in 2005, but in the three elections since then they have been pressed fairly hard by a local Independent group and an Indy duly finished runners-up this time - though dipping a few points to just under 30%. Labour down by a similar amount, indeed almost the same as the last placed LibDems who got 3% - they actually came second here 12 years ago, but subsequently fell away to the point they did not even stand on GE day in 2015.

Powys - this was either the final piece of business from the 2012 elections or the first one from last months; the question arises because this vacancy arose through nobody even standing then for this rural single member division after the long standing Independent incumbent stood down. They had been unopposed in 1999 and 2004, seeing off another Indy in 2008 and (narrowly) a LibDem in 2012 before calling it a day - so generally not a great deal of electoral competition here down the years. That changed this time, however, as no fewer than six hopefuls stood. And with that actually *not* including the LibDems who came close last time, the winner in a fragmented field was the Tory candidate who scored just under 30 per cent - making this a gain for them at the first time of asking. Not far behind was the first of three Independent candidates, followed by Plaid on 18% and the Greens on 14%. Two more Independents brought up the rear, but whilst the first of them still polled respectably the other (a non-local who had stood elsewhere as a Tory just last month) came last with the grand total of 2 (TWO) votes. Ouch!

South Gloucestershire - Tory hold, their share of 48% almost unchanged from two years ago in a ward that has duly returned two members for them since boundary changes for the 2007 elections. However that did not make this one totally uninteresting as Labour more than doubled its share from 2015 to come second with over a third of the vote, leapfrogging the LibDems who were also little changed from then. The apparent discrepancy on the above is explained by the absence of UKIP this time after they finished third with some 17% - ahead of Labour - on GE day in 2015, further proof that - as shown in several places a few weeks ago - their absence won't automatically benefit the Tories.

Sheffield - Labour hold, but they were run close by the Greens in a ward that split 2Lab/1Grn in the all-out elections last year. Both parties saw an increase since then (the first election since significant boundary changes) but it was Labour who, with 45%, finished on top by a few points. Greens may be disappointed to have just missed out due to the salience of the "tree factor" locally (the Labour run council is chopping a number of them down, claiming it is necessary to save money) but given their GE results (poor here, as they were almost everywhere) the result can still perhaps offer some encouragement. Last year there was a crowded field amongst the also rans with Tories/UKIP/Ind/TUSC all standing, but they were nowhere to be seen now which meant the only other candidate was a LibDem - they won seats in these parts back in pre-coalition days, but their 12% was slightly down on last year despite the reduced competition.

Four contests later this week.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

thankyou
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40418266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why do England's high-rises keep failing fire tests
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... s-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

National sunglasses day
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

ED Davey not standing
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eli ... 34df2d528f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elizabeth Warren Calls For Democrats To Embrace Single-Payer Health Care
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

For PFY:
http://www.cer.eu/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Centre for European Reform is a think-tank devoted to making the European Union work better and strengthening its role in the world. The CER is pro-European but not uncritical. We regard European integration as largely beneficial but recognise that in many respects the Union does not work well. We also think that the EU should take on more responsibilities globally, on issues ranging from climate change to security. The CER aims to promote an open, outward-looking and effective European Union.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 10911.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eli ... 34df2d528f

Elizabeth Warren Calls For Democrats To Embrace Single-Payer Health Care
Yes, it's long past time
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/analysi ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Analysis: what is the UK proposing for EU citizens in the UK and EU citizens in the EU?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40418266

Why do England's high-rises keep failing fire tests
Scotland learned a lesson (to coin a phrase) in 1999. Unfortunately, it appears that the lesson wasn't necessarily learned elsewhere.
In Scotland, a change to building regulations in 2005 made it mandatory for builders to ensure that any external cladding "inhibited" fire spreading. The new regulations were introduced following a fatal fire in a Scottish tower block in 1999.

...The flats were owned by North Ayrshire Council, who ordered the removal of plastic cladding and PVC window frames as a precaution "at whatever cost" so they could be replaced with safer materials.

...The then local MP, Brian Donohoe, ...was also concerned that tower blocks across the UK which used similar cladding could be at risk, and the Labour MP pushed for a parliamentary inquiry into the extent of the problem.

The review - by the select committee on environment, transport and regional affairs - was set up quickly and reported back in January 2000.

It said the evidence received during the inquiry suggested most external cladding being used in the UK did not pose "a serious threat to life or property in the event of fire".

But the report added: "Notwithstanding... we do not believe that it should take a serious fire in which many people are killed before all reasonable steps are taken towards minimising the risks."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40406057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, stringent building regulations are dependent (among other things) on the availability of suitably qualified inspectors to enforce them.

https://stv.tv/news/east-central/139223 ... ent-halls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Second, we have launched a programme of research and events
on the economic causes of populism, to be concluded in the spring of
2018. Many of the factors driving populism in the UK – such as resentment
at stagnant living standards and inequality, discontent about migration,
hostility towards elites and a sense of powerlessness – are present across
the EU.
http://www.cer.eu/sites/default/files/a ... t_2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Sam Neill‏Verified account @TwoPaddocks Jun 26
More
Brexit simplified.
Brexit simplified.jpg
Brexit simplified.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 13819 times
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

not sure the beans would be in a ramekin though.
surely still in the tin?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The term is derived from the French ramequin, a cheese- or meat-based dish baked in a small mold. The French term is derived from early modern Flemish rammeken, which translated to 'toast' or 'roasted minced meat', itself apparently from ram 'battering ram' + -kin 'diminutive', but it is unclear why
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

As if by magic the
Tumbleweed-862x574.jpg
Tumbleweed-862x574.jpg (127.86 KiB) Viewed 13816 times
appeared
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I try not to take it personally
(crestfallen yet brave emoticon)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TechnicallyRon‏Verified account @TechnicallyRon 23h23 hours ago
More
So in summary, my taxes have been used by a power hungry woman trying to cling to power by bribing some complete bastards. Cool.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Out of a field of one, Vince Cable has overcome all the odds and is the favourite to win.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.freemovement.org.uk/analysi ... ign=buffer

Analysis: what is the UK proposing for EU citizens in the UK and EU citizens in the EU?
The threads elsewhere below the line on this subject are full of liars and personally abusive commentary.
It's important to call out liars.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm exhausted and need to take some time away from the commuter
The air quality is bad, the rain came
Goodnight, everyone
I love you all
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Not going well really is it?
Kyle Griffin‏Verified account
@kylegriffin1
Follow
More
WASHINGTON (AP) — Lacking votes, Senate GOP leaders abruptly delay vote on health care bill until after July 4th recess.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PorFavor wrote:Out of a field of one, Vince Cable has overcome all the odds and is the favourite to win.
As somebody on HIGNFY said:
If Vince Cable becomes leader of the LibDems at the age of 74, at the next election he will be... 74.
:)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Chunky Mark as reported in the Mirror:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/c ... r-10696012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; includes:

"The public to pay £1.5bn to save Theresa May's job."

and

"The same Theresa May who looked into a nurse's face and told her there's no magic money tree"
(I have used some editorial licence with the ordering of phrases)
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

tinyclanger2 wrote:not sure the beans would be in a ramekin though.
surely still in the tin?
Why have they put beans in an ashtray?? :) :)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ah. Excellent.
Thank you.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK defence secretary threatens military strikes against hackers (BBC News website)
(That's "Mad Mick" Fallon to his close associates.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40423164
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

extreme clanger.jpg
extreme clanger.jpg (113.86 KiB) Viewed 13671 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

And don't forget World Gravy Wrestling on August Bank Holiday:

http://www.visitlancashire.com/whats-on ... 17-p799220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:I'm exhausted and need to take some time away from the commuter
I quite understand that - the constant failing of the air conditioning on the train makes me no fun to be around. No offence taken.
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

adam wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I'm exhausted and need to take some time away from the commuter
I quite understand that - the constant failing of the air conditioning on the train makes me no fun to be around. No offence taken.
Takes a lot less than that for me to be no fun.
As I'm sure my fellow nesters will attest.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Read the last reply from Sam Freedman to that Hartley-Brewer person on the ditching of the grammar school policy

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back of the net!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://labourlist.org/2017/06/kate-gre ... n-welfare/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear, JHB has resorted to the "where did you go to school" argument with Portes having lost the argument on evidence..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seen this one many times from her - you went to a grammar school so therefore you're a hypocrite opposing them 30+ years later.

:roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

COMMENT: Hillsborough CPS decisions - This is about justice, not vengeance

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... e-13244906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JFT 96
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:[

My advice, again, is to stop talking about "The Single Market". For ever. Keir Starmer gets this. It belongs in the past. We need to talk about what we want for people, not an agreement that people are suspicious of and that for many didn't seem to improve their lives.
What are you on about? The UK is much, much richer than in 1993, and a lot richer than it would have been absent the Single Market. It has been worth thousands of pounds per head. That increased wealth in turn enables lots of lovely things like hospitals to be paid for.

What a shame the Lexiters are winning.

(1) that isn't from 92 but 2000. The shock that happened was the financial crisis of 2007. Nothing to do with the single market.

(2) why would anyone rational think the solution to this was to leave something that has made us all so much richer? It is like suggesting that as you have a persistent cold, the solution is to cut your legs off.

Irrational lashing out.

Lexiters are the worst.