Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd July 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd July 2017

Post by AngryAsWell »

CarolineJMolloy‏
@carolinejmolloy

Grenfell activist - "I've talked to a survivor of Grenfell Tower - their rent has just been deducted."
#r4today interviewer: stunned silence

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Must admit not being able to distinquish between "business" and direct payment scheme wasn't an aspect I considered,hence such things.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@AAW mentioned in Today link.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RIP Barry Norman.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:@AAW mentioned in Today link.
Sorry - missed it
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just meant you could listen to and response.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Temulkar wrote:Many years ago, I had a young Year 7 kid, terribly enthusiastic about history, but very stubborn if he had read a ladybird book that it was correct and his teachers were wrong. He had been taught that AD meant after death in primary (I have no idea why) and he persisted with this for the whole year, arguing with me (his Head of Year) and his other history teacher that he was correct, and we were wrong (in spite of the fact that he had never heard of Bede). When it came to the exam and he stubbornly insisted on putting after death to the AD answer it meant he missed the pass by 2 marks and was devastated. At the start of Year 8 in the recap lesson to kick of the new year, he insisted that AD meant after death. Some people never learn...
It's easy to see where the misunderstanding came from. Lot's of people use the acronyms "after death/ before Christ" to remember which is which. That this boy took it literally and had difficulty letting go of a previously formed idea suggests he may be autistic. At the very least, it should be accepted that some people are just wired differently. I doubt this boy was obstinate in his beliefs simply to annoy you. Holding onto them possibly made him feel more secure in some way as he struggled with the transition to secondary school.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Willow904 wrote:
Temulkar wrote:Many years ago, I had a young Year 7 kid, terribly enthusiastic about history, but very stubborn if he had read a ladybird book that it was correct and his teachers were wrong. He had been taught that AD meant after death in primary (I have no idea why) and he persisted with this for the whole year, arguing with me (his Head of Year) and his other history teacher that he was correct, and we were wrong (in spite of the fact that he had never heard of Bede). When it came to the exam and he stubbornly insisted on putting after death to the AD answer it meant he missed the pass by 2 marks and was devastated. At the start of Year 8 in the recap lesson to kick of the new year, he insisted that AD meant after death. Some people never learn...
It's easy to see where the misunderstanding came from. Lot's of people use the acronyms "after death/ before Christ" to remember which is which. That this boy took it literally and had difficulty letting go of a previously formed idea suggests he may be autistic. At the very least, it should be accepted that some people are just wired differently. I doubt this boy was obstinate in his beliefs simply to annoy you. Holding onto them possibly made him feel more secure in some way as he struggled with the transition to secondary school.
Oh, of course that could easily be the case, however, in this instance he was not autistic, he was popular bright and managed the transition very well. His problem was that he would never admit to being wrong about something, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. His very middle class parents had the same issue with him, although his father did ask me if I was sure AD meant Anno Domini...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ts-at-risk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Antibiotic shortage puts patients at risk, doctors fear
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Temulkar wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Oh, of course that could easily be the case, however, in this instance he was not autistic, he was popular bright and managed the transition very well. His problem was that he would never admit to being wrong about something, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. His very middle class parents had the same issue with him, although his father did ask me if I was sure AD meant Anno Domini...
So still possibly a genetic thing he was born with and had no control over perhaps? :)

Seriously, though, if accepting you were right meant accepting his dad was wrong, there may be a clue there to his stubbornness. Similarly I suspect no one wants to shift their views on Brexit, from either side, hence the continued political crisis enveloping our country. A tragic result of the abandonment of consensus politics by Cameron's Tories who deliberately stoked up division for political gain. At least there is some poetic justice in their current position but hard to enjoy when we're all still suffering and facing further suffering from the continued fallout from their divisive policies and rhetoric.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The government will keep "a close eye" on Kensington and Chelsea council after its leader quit over the Grenfell Tower fire, the communities secretary says.

Sajid Javid said it was "right" that Nicholas Paget-Brown stepped down and said the process to select a successor would be "independent of government".

Mr Javid said: "It is right the council leader stepped down given the initial response to the Grenfell tragedy," adding: "If we need to take further action, we won't hesitate to do so." (BBC News website - my emphasis)
No - I don't know what he's talking about, either. But I imagine he hopes that people will think that the Government has actually taken some action with regard to the Council.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40468235

Edited to bold the bit I forgot to bold
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Labour would pay for access to the European single market after Brexit, says Sir Keir Starmer
Labour's Shadow Brexit Secretary said that it is "inevitable" that Britain would have to pay to get good access to the single market

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 18101.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

No coverage (that I can find, anyway) in the Guardian of the anti-austerity march that is taking place in London. Sky TV News has reported on it (thousands have turned up, apparently). Don't know about BBC TV News.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

On website(I rarely watch TV)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40468881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What austerity £31-£72grand p.a for "assessors" for PIP.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

citizenJA wrote:Did the people want an EU referendum? I think it was just some Tories.
About 50.
50 spoilt brats who Cameron was too weak to deal with.
Got us into this fucked up ridiculousness.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Did the people want an EU referendum? I think it was just some Tories.
About 50.
50 spoilt brats who Cameron was too weak to deal with.
Got us into this fucked up ridiculousness.
the Tory party is dysfunctional
All that projection Cameron attempted to place upon Ed Miliband
'weak, weak, weak...'
It was Cameron weak
Theresa May and right-wing media seem to have forgotten the abysmal losses current Tory government received in the GE less than a month ago
Local Labour party distributed leaflets today informing the area Theresa May failed to receive a mandate from the UK
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rity-march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sinn Féin says there will be no power-sharing deal in place by Monday's deadline (Sky TV news).

(Incidentally, Arlene Foster has today been at a friend's wedding and, as we know, she doesn't do Sundays. Not doing Sundays is, so far as it goes, ok I suppose - but the other bit?)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 0629130748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JACOB Rees-Mogg was sent from the year 1923 to stop the Conservatives from being destroyed, it has emerged.
WARNING: This article has a heavy infestation of Minions currently. May be replaced with alternative advertising dependent on browsing profile.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Just in case the last link was too light hearted, a Twitter feed to remind us that when we don't have Brexit and the Tories to worry about, there's always Trump and the Republicans to keep us awake at night. I particularly like the lists where every potential Trump replacement sounds even worse than Trump himself. Happy days.

TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

HindleA wrote:@Toby

How many fucking ways,is that just simply wrong.
Yep, it irks me that I can remember cases of inaccessible DWP assessment centres being reported as far back as 2011. The DWP have had ample time to rectify the situation.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:Just in case the last link was too light hearted, a Twitter feed to remind us that when we don't have Brexit and the Tories to worry about, there's always Trump and the Republicans to keep us awake at night. I particularly like the lists where every potential Trump replacement sounds even worse than Trump himself. Happy days.

And if that's not enough to worry about, Saudi Arabia's deadline to Qatar runs out on Monday :?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Afternoon folks,
About that magic money tree. Seems that the rate for training civil servants to negotiate Brexit is £10,000 per day, according to a chap I know. Imported academics seem to be doing very well out of it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I hear what you say.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(checks volume level)

Joke.

(extra "silly" chromosome exemption)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

HindleA wrote:Person responsible for adult social care,for those interested.

https://www.gov.uk/government/people/jackie-doyle-price" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.homecare.co.uk/news/article ... r-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.publicsectorexecutive.com/Pu ... AU.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Councils threatened with ‘non-incentives’ to move health integration forward
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Here we go

https://www.ftadviser.com/pensions/2017 ... insurance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think tank proposes compulsory care insurance

Green also propounding "rebalance" of State/Individual in the BrightBlue Conference today.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2017-06 ... udy-finds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2017/06/ ... ork-stand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‘This treatment of learning disabled people goes against everything social work should stand for’
As research reveals fresh concerns over the use of assessment and treatment units, social work student Mollie Heywood asks why is it being allowed to continue?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hilarybrue ... e-u-s/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Denied: Afghanistan's All-Girl Robotics Team Can't Get Visas To The US
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... dApp_Tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

China tears up promises to UK and shows the world who is in charge
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/com ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grenfell Tower exposed the confusion about who is responsible for fire safety
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... dApp_Tweet

China tears up promises to UK and shows the world who is in charge

From the linked article -
Theresa May’s government faces a choice between upholding legal principle and democratic values, and its chronic post-Brexit need for Chinese trade and business at any price.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sh going for 6th re-roll up,which would be a personal record,mainly ash to be fair,still smokeable.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Made it,didn't more than two drags and scorched my lips,have to check rules to verify.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I made one King Edward cigar last some years,for emergency purposes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Found a Barry about the same age,that'll do"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 000-to-dup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brexit minister linked to group that used loophole to channel £435,000 to DUP
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

SOS to tinyclanger2
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Mayday sinking under own bullshit.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

7th re-roll up attemp,didn't go all that well.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Clock decided to go back four hours for some reason.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... c-spending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Top" Tories in revolt against May over public spending
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://mile17.co.uk/2017/07/01/inspirat ... ith-alice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... port-group" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mistrust and anger deepen as Grenfell death toll is still unknown
Closed meetings and mysterious letters from an unknown support group have added to the lack of clarity
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -questions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fire chiefs warned that councillors were failing safety duty
Detailed guidance listed the key questions councillors should ask contractors