Saturday September 27th & Sunday 28th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday September 27th & Sunday 28th September 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 2m
EXCL: PM: I'm posh ... deal with it: http://bit.ly/1uwnXQJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #CPC14
Oh FFS. We have been dealing with it .... and how. 'Poshness' in itself isn't the problem. It's whether you are able to go beyond your 'poshness' to understand how the many other millions live - and DO RIGHT BY THEM. Failed on that - completely failed.
Working on the wild side.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm sitting here putting off the point when I have to go and work out yet another way of presenting courgettes for dinner to Mr Riots. This eating seasonal stuff is damn challenging sometimes ...
Try grating them with the coarsest side, then blanch them briefly in boiling water. A great alternative to pasta and a decent veg, as long as you don't overcook.
Whoever knew what a dab hand the FTN crew would prove to be with recipe advice. Thank you 55DN. I will give it a go - especially as we have several courgettes of the 'larger' variety on the go.
My lad will still happily eat a pasta sauce I made for him as a baby. Fry peeled sliced courgettes in butter, tip in a can of peeled tomatoes (or your finest home grown Rebecca) and warm, grate a load of cheddar in and whiz the whole lot up. Pour onto pasta ;-)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote: Try grating them with the coarsest side, then blanch them briefly in boiling water. A great alternative to pasta and a decent veg, as long as you don't overcook.
Whoever knew what a dab hand the FTN crew would prove to be with recipe advice. Thank you 55DN. I will give it a go - especially as we have several courgettes of the 'larger' variety on the go.
My lad will still happily eat a pasta sauce I made for him as a baby. Fry peeled sliced courgettes in butter, tip in a can of peeled tomatoes (or your finest home grown Rebecca) and warm, grate a load of cheddar in and whiz the whole lot up. Pour onto pasta ;-)
:lol: If I was very clever I could serve Mr Riots up your pasta sauce on 55DN's courgette pasta alternative - double courgette supper. I wonder if he'd notice! :lol: We might be getting to that stage. Thank you.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:That H&M blog is very good. Labour needs to up its game in such seats and appeal to what are some of the poorest and most disenfranchised people around. I work hard as a Labour councillor, but I'm always aware that I have to strive to cover every last inch, and that's far more the case for poorer wards such as those highlighted.

Langley (a Manchester overspill that should comfortably return Labour councillors) turning to UKIP is either the sign of utter despair or a major plea for a lot less southern England, middle class Blairism and a return to ordinary people, not just those who can afford the mock Tudor homes and run two cars. The blog links well with the Graun link I posted earlier about the Labour party and the subsequent posts I made on the subject which, frankly, I was hoping would excite a few replies.
Langley has always had a BNP/ ELD feel. Skin heads with Rottweiler's or pit bulls rome freely round the estate. Not pleasant. I got attacked on Bowlee once, fortunately they did not realise how scatty my horse was till he booted of them in the gut ;) Or how fast he could move.....
I was going to reply to the other post but got tied up with cooking an stuff, now its got too late :)
Will dig in tomorrow.
Night all :) Been a happy day
To be honest the only bit of my ward that's like Langley is a nearby ex-council owned estate where one or two of the houses are clearly BNP/EDL/UKIP (they're pretty much interchangeable). The really malign nutters of UKIP and co. don't tend to advertise it, although there is a propensity to fly the cross of St George in the front garden - why? he's the patron saint of fucking Armenia! - and to be very quick to answer (when canvassed) that they'll be voting UKIP. In other words, gobshite converts. I'm told that converts from protestantism to catholicism are much the same. They've made the leap from Tory (and very more occasionally, Labour) to UKIP/fascist lite and they treat it as an epiphany.

I fucking loathe them as they are utterly impervious to facts and figures. My own family's not exempt. My eldest brother and mother both now espouse UKIP (the latter because she dotes on him and follows his ideas, however brain dead) and actually trying to deal with them regarding the non trivial stuff - like the smoking ban in pubs - is more or less impossible.

They really don't understand stuff like inward investment. Nige wants everyone to smoke in pubs. Being outside the EU but still having to contribute much the same to remain in the EEA but with no influence on the rules means nothing to them in terms of cost or jobs. Nigel will enable them to smoke in pubs and call niggers niggers. Maternity rights, holiday rights and human rights a la the HRA don't mean fucking squat to them. As long as they can smoke in pubs, call niggers niggers, stop them at the borders and send them back to the EU that we've left is all they want, despite the jolly good rogering that the NHS would face, as would workplace rights and a host of other areas where Farago would love to implement his neoliberal dreams.

He wasn't an investment banker for no reason, let's be sure on that.

I'm ashamed of my family for their collective stupidity. I can only hope that I've escaped that gene.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:That H&M blog is very good. Labour needs to up its game in such seats and appeal to what are some of the poorest and most disenfranchised people around. I work hard as a Labour councillor, but I'm always aware that I have to strive to cover every last inch, and that's far more the case for poorer wards such as those highlighted.

Langley (a Manchester overspill that should comfortably return Labour councillors) turning to UKIP is either the sign of utter despair or a major plea for a lot less southern England, middle class Blairism and a return to ordinary people, not just those who can afford the mock Tudor homes and run two cars. The blog links well with the Graun link I posted earlier about the Labour party and the subsequent posts I made on the subject which, frankly, I was hoping would excite a few replies.
Langley has always had a BNP/ ELD feel. Skin heads with Rottweiler's or pit bulls rome freely round the estate. Not pleasant. I got attacked on Bowlee once, fortunately they did not realise how scatty my horse was till he booted of them in the gut ;) Or how fast he could move.....
I was going to reply to the other post but got tied up with cooking an stuff, now its got too late :)
Will dig in tomorrow.
To be honest the only bit of my ward that's like Langley is a nearby ex-council owned estate where one or two of the houses are clearly BNP/EDL/UKIP (they're pretty much interchangeable). The really malign nutters of UKIP and co. don't tend to advertise it, although there is a propensity to fly the cross of St George in the front garden - why? he's the patron saint of fucking Armenia! - and to be very quick to answer (when canvassed) that they'll be voting UKIP. In other words, gobshite converts. I'm told that converts from protestantism to catholicism are much the same. They've made the leap from Tory (and very more occasionally, Labour) to UKIP/fascist lite and they treat it as an epiphany.

I fucking loathe them as they are utterly impervious to facts and figures. My own family's not exempt. My eldest brother and mother both now espouse UKIP (the latter because she dotes on him and follows his ideas, however brain dead) and actually trying to deal with them regarding the non trivial stuff - like the smoking ban in pubs - is more or less impossible.

They really don't understand stuff like inward investment. Nige wants everyone to smoke in pubs. Being outside the EU but still having to contribute much the same to remain in the EEA but with no influence on the rules means nothing to them in terms of cost or jobs. Nigel will enable them to smoke in pubs and call niggers niggers. Maternity rights, holiday rights and human rights a la the HRA don't mean fucking squat to them. As long as they can smoke in pubs, call niggers niggers, stop them at the borders and send them back to the EU that we've left is all they want, despite the jolly good rogering that the NHS would face, as would workplace rights and a host of other areas where Farago would love to implement his neoliberal dreams.

I'm ashamed of my family for their collective stupidity. I can only hope that I've escaped that gene.
Well if you haven't you're doing a spectacular job of denial ;-)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Langley has always had a BNP/ ELD feel. Skin heads with Rottweiler's or pit bulls rome freely round the estate. Not pleasant. I got attacked on Bowlee once, fortunately they did not realise how scatty my horse was till he booted of them in the gut ;) Or how fast he could move.....
Will dig in tomorrow.

Well if you haven't you're doing a spectacular job of denial ;-)
I think we can safely certify Ernst totally Tory free. FTN has pretty much all the evidence needed. Editing to say ... actually that should be right wing particle free - complete absence of going by previous postings. We'll let you know if anything dubious starts to creep in.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Rennard ‏@LordRennard 2m
The Liverpool hotel in #DowntonAbbey was of course the National Liberal Club (1 Whitehall Place)
Zipped. Completely zipped.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

I don't know the above areas but I encountered similar in the past. There is an underclass of predominantly angry white people, who feel with some justification that nobody cares about them.

It is all the fault of the immigrants is racism, straight out of the 30s, but again in some areas they are being priced out of jobs by immigrants. When Labour was debating banning smoking in pubs it was opposed by a Labour minister (Charles Clark I think), because in his view all these people had was beer and fags down the pub, and Labour shouldn't take it away from them. He also got a good kicking for that view.

The problem is how do you frame an offer to engage this sector (other than fascism).

Labour attacked this with benefits, not because they wanted to reward the lifestyle but because they wanted to try and enable their children an option of a better life. A return to this sort of investment probably can't be afforded at the moment (thanks to the media deficit obsession).

Cameron basically says stop their benefits so they starve or work.

Farage says you can smoke and drink, plus if we boot out the foreigners you will all get good jobs and be rich.

Farage has the best offer (even though it is a huge lie).

What do you offer to keep these people away from UKIP. They don't care about workers rights (they don't get any today, so abolishing them for others doesn't bother them), they don't think about the NHS, they are self centred and don't see why they should pay tax ever.
Release the Guardvarks.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

You're both very kind.

On a personal note, it's off to Cheshire to wish my Sussex dwelling middle brother (smug, converted Tory) happy 54th birthday in the presence of his slightly smug and certainly a little overbearing ex-school header teacher wife, plus possibly previous aforementioned UKIP bro (though unlikely, as the other brothers hate each other) and my dear old, brain dead, Excess reading, gullible mum.

Did I ever mention that when I got elected as the first ever Labour councillor for my ward (after 39 years of solid Tory voting) that she went around telling her chums that her son had been elected as a borough councillor in Bury? She was so proud of it that she studiously avoided telling any of her chums that I had been elected as a Labour councillor. Oh, how we all laughed.

So, bit of a horror show tomorrow. I can't decide whether to inject class A's into my eyeballs before I drive down there or whether I leave it until I pick up herself from school.

Sorry about the the bleaty confessional, but sometimes you just gotta let it hang out.

Hello? Hello? Where's everybody gone.....?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Families eh?! :x
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:You're both very kind.

On a personal note, it's off to Cheshire to wish my Sussex dwelling middle brother (smug, converted Tory) happy 54th birthday in the presence of his slightly smug and certainly a little overbearing ex-school header teacher wife, plus possibly previous aforementioned UKIP bro (though unlikely, as the other brothers hate each other) and my dear old, brain dead, Excess reading, gullible mum.

Did I ever mention that when I got elected as the first ever Labour councillor for my ward (after 39 years of solid Tory voting) that she went around telling her chums that her son had been elected as a borough councillor in Bury? She was so proud of it that she studiously avoided telling any of her chums that I had been elected as a Labour councillor. Oh, how we all laughed.

So, bit of a horror show tomorrow. I can't decide whether to inject class A's into my eyeballs before I drive down there or whether I leave it until I pick up herself from school.

Sorry about the the bleaty confessional, but sometimes you just gotta let it hang out.

Christ Ernst - you are making it sound like a real Psychoville trip now. In fact - maybe you should just turn up in a manic clown outfit with a hook at the end of one arm - and a very dodgy 3 wheeler car parked in their Sussex drive. That should help the family dynamics a whole lot. I'm hoping this fantasy sounds so dire - your reality will be that much sunnier in comparison. :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Osborne's found more money for tax cuts, I see.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... k-reckless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inheritance Tax, something about pensions, and quite likely the top rate of tax.

Add in those private housing subsidies and that's a fair bit of a hole created.

He's also said he'll bring the pension duty cut in from 2015. Should have waited till after 2016/7, where really big austerity hits.

Or could that be a nice trap for Labour?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I don't know the above areas but I encountered similar in the past. There is an underclass of predominantly angry white people, who feel with some justification that nobody cares about them.

It is all the fault of the immigrants is racism, straight out of the 30s, but again in some areas they are being priced out of jobs by immigrants. When Labour was debating banning smoking in pubs it was opposed by a Labour minister (Charles Clark I think), because in his view all these people had was beer and fags down the pub, and Labour shouldn't take it away from them. He also got a good kicking for that view.

The problem is how do you frame an offer to engage this sector (other than fascism).

Labour attacked this with benefits, not because they wanted to reward the lifestyle but because they wanted to try and enable their children an option of a better life. A return to this sort of investment probably can't be afforded at the moment (thanks to the media deficit obsession).

Cameron basically says stop their benefits so they starve or work.

Farage says you can smoke and drink, plus if we boot out the foreigners you will all get good jobs and be rich.

Farage has the best offer (even though it is a huge lie).

What do you offer to keep these people away from UKIP. They don't care about workers rights (they don't get any today, so abolishing them for others doesn't bother them), they don't think about the NHS, they are self centred and don't see why they should pay tax ever.
That's one view of it. My view is that there is a small cadre of people for whom there is no good system within which to function - fuck it, I've felt that way myself before now. The difference is that I've learned that you can change things. That's what all these fucked off people don't yet realise. They sit on their hands and they might as well be dead. Tony Benn said it best: "If you don't vote, why should I listen to you?"

The Scottish electorate - containing English and other nationalities mark you - have just given the lie to this. Of course people can change stuff, but we need people to come forward and get active. UKIP does it by harnessing despair. I say to the Labour Party, how pissed off do you want people to be before you stop concentrating on Essex Man/Worcestor Woman/2015 pundits' voter?

We all know where the voters are. We all know the arguments. The stuff I quoted above, some people are deadly serious about, but most accept things like the smoking ban and membership of the EU because they look around and they notice their families and others, and there's an underpinning that perhaps, perhaps, TehColoureds haven't wreaked havoc and that the EU is actually pretty much a non-issue, regardless of what the nutters say. And perhaps smoking outside the pub isn't such an imposition after all.

My immediate local is pretty rough and ready, the licensee being a bit of a kipper, but all those rough arsed welders and engineers and glaziers (and me) all co mix outside without the Armageddon that Farago predicts.

Sorry this has been a ramble, but it's one of those nights. I'll be off in a moment as even I, aesthetic disaster area that I am, need my beauty sleep, if only to contain the number of public safety alerts.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Osborne's found more money for tax cuts, I see.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... k-reckless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inheritance Tax, something about pensions, and quite likely the top rate of tax.

He's also said he'll bring the pension duty cut in from 2015. Should have waited till after 2016/7, where really big austerity hits.

I have to admit that I didn't know anyone could inherit a pension pot.

Quite why this is necessary since the person inheriting the dosh hasn't done a damn thing to earn it is beyond me.

And why UKIP want to abolish inheritance tax which only affects 3% of all estates is also beyond all understanding - that's the Daily Express influence I guess.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Osborne's found more money for tax cuts, I see.

I have to admit that I didn't know anyone could inherit a pension pot.

Quite why this is necessary since the person inheriting the dosh hasn't done a damn thing to earn it is beyond me.

And why UKIP want to abolish inheritance tax which only affects 3% of all estates is also beyond all understanding - that's the Daily Express influence I guess.
Well the pension pot belongs to you not the pension company. Note the spouse is already exempt from tax.

I doubt this is a big deal for most people. I suspect Labour can match the offer if they want ( how much is the average pension remaining after both partners have died?)
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 13m
George Osborne trying his best to make up for the 'granny tax' he announced in 2012: On Mon he'll announced scrapping of pension death tax
Pension death tax.

Not exactly got a voter friendly ring about it, has it - even when you're saying you are scrapping it.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:You're both very kind.

Christ Ernst - you are making it sound like a real Psychoville trip now. In fact - maybe you should just turn up in a manic clown outfit with a hook at the end of one arm - and a very dodgy 3 wheeler car parked in their Sussex drive. That should help the family dynamics a whole lot. I'm hoping this fantasy sounds so dire - your reality will be that much sunnier in comparison. :D
Ta RR2. I'm really off now. Tomorrow will wash over me and I'll be here later on chuckling at their lack of self awareness I'm sure. And mine, probably. I'm liking the idea, but they're already up in thatnorth, so it's a case of let's go. If I get pissed off, I have only to declare it's time to think of the children and I dare any of them to gainsay it.

Fuck 'em. I hope other posters don't have this sort of disconnect with their own families, morally and politically. It causes me some distress, I have to say.

Night all, sleep tight. Tomorrow's another and a better day.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Night Ernst and others.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
Thank you - I'd offer but I have no idea what to do.

Some of them are a bit out of date, though. Perhaps it might be an idea to ask everyone if they want them or not?

Maybe it might be better to do a little precis of the changes so far (I could do it when I get some time) rather than have some poor dab copying them all over?
Good idea!
Too late, I have copied everything over. :roll:

If anything is so out of date it wants removing, let me know.

Also. If anyone else wants to help copy anything from the previous site (Troll Busters, Temulker's fantastic essays etc...) please feel free.
Am about halfway through Features & Analysis transfers and hope to carry on tomorrow. I couldn't make the embedded videos embed here, so if anyone knows how to fix it all advice is welcome; and I haven't copied comments across but will if you think we should keep things intact.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:
A PROPOSAL to house a handful of teenage girls in a youth detention centre alongside hundreds of boys has been denounced as “dangerous” and “frightening”.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 464600.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is he mad?
Yes, judging by his judgement...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm sitting here putting off the point when I have to go and work out yet another way of presenting courgettes for dinner to Mr Riots. This eating seasonal stuff is damn challenging sometimes ...
Courgettes - hummm, a veg I always find challenging, the texture (when cooked) is to slimy for me :(
Slice length-ways, oil & season and then griddle (preferably BBQ). Get them to where they start to char. Yum.
Use a potato-peeling knife to peel/slice into strips (similar width to tagliatelli) of green and white flesh. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Drop the strips, along with fresh tagliatelli, into the boiling water for about four minutes (or cook dried tagliatelli according to packet and add the courgette for the last few mins.) Drain. Toss in a hot pan with just-melted butter and olive oil plus herbs of choice and serve. E presto, zucchiniatelli :wink:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Courgette dinner decision is on hold as one of the dogs has gone AWOL and Mr Riots is off across the fields in a panic with a torch. She would have to do this just at dusk ... and after she's been taken to the beach for a long walk and been fed a tasty dinner.
Fingers crossed you find her soon
Seconded. Fingers crossed she was found quickly.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Iain Duncan Smith: a reputation beyond accountability?

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/20540

Worth reading...
Hi ohso - yes, that's a very good read and nails it down. The list of directors at IDS' pet think tank is quite terrifying in their removal from reality and the everyday lives of so many - not least the people they purport to 'understand'.

Full marks to you (and Bernadette Mearden) to raising this one. It's well worth retweeting as it gets right to the heart of why IDS is wrong and is making such a colossal mess of his brief, and why the Graun should hang its head in eternal shame. 'In praise of Iain Duncan Smith' indeed. A memorable low.
Makes one wonder: does IDS just write all the CSJ reports himself, or just write a note saying what he wants the findings to be then get all his directors and co-directors to pay for someone else to do it? Should be renamed The Centre For as, lets face it, there is nowt Social about it and no Justice either. In fact, drop Centre, too. Just call it The For...

ekklesia has a lot of good articles. Thanks to @ohso for reminding me of it.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Will dig in tomorrow.

And all the while Niggle Farridge goes all misty-eyed over the "loyal members of our great Commonwealth who are cruelly excluded whilst unskilled people from south and eastern Europe pour into the country." Correct me if Im wrong but isn't the population of the Commonwealth somewhat larger than the population of the EU? There's that little country, now what's it called, oh India. So he always goes on about five-hundred-million Europeans and never mentions the size of the Commonwealth – almost five times as populous.

Of course, he doesn't say he means everyone from the Commonwealth regaining their rights to settle in The Mother Country. Just the highly skilled ones. He ignores the fact that many, if not most, of the people who have come here from the south and eastern parts of Europe are skilled and/or highly qualified. It's just that many of them have taken unskilled, or relatively unskilled, work. Many skilled and qualified people from the Commonwealth took (and still take) jobs they were way over qualified for, too. Sometimes through choice but often out of desperation.

D'yanno, perhaps we should start 'commiserating' with UKIP supporters. Something along the lines of, "Yes it is rather unfair to only let Europeans come here when there are nearly two-and-a-half billion Commonwealth citizens who had their right to settle or work here taken away, isn't it?" Or would that go over their heads? The ones I know, declared UKIP voters that is, mostly would certainly not like it should the planes and boats actually start arriving from the Commonwealth nations, bearing hopeful job-applicants. They might resent Europeans for 'coming here taking our jobs' but they resent people of different colours more and the phrase, 'coming over here taking our jobs and our women', would see a swift revival, along with all the racial and national slurs which people had been shamed out of (or had grown out of) using. At least until recently, sadly; it is definitely on the rise again, along with a lot of other perjorative language, terms, and rhetoric.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with citizens of EU countries exercising their right to settle, live, and work, in any member-state. (Gosh, that looks wrong written down, member-state, :snigger:!) At the same time, I think it was unfair to deprive people from the Commonwealth countries of the same (or similar) rights. The latter, don't forget, were brought up for generations in the belief that this United Kingdom was the Motherland and that they were British. I don't care what colour, race, creed, etc., my neighbours are, and it shocks me that others care more about those things than whether or not the neighbours are nice people. I didn't much enjoy being called 'gyppo' at school because of the way it was said and meant – I'm proud of my one-eighth Romany blood – so I objected to other people being called names, too.

Anyway, I have wandered far from what I first meant to say: I don't know whether any of my family would vote UKIP. As far as I know, none have ever been NF/BNP/EDL supporters but a few are Tory. Mostly we're left-wingers/socialists/Labour. But a fair few neighbours are UKIP-converts, some who have surprised me, and this ward gave the UKIP candidate near on 400 votes from a standing-start in this year's Local Elections, more than the Green candidate got, and twice the vote for each LibDem. I feel for your upset regarding your own relations though, Ernst, and agree that most of the UKIP-converts around here have no conception of what UKIP policy would actually mean for them and their families.

And with that, I'm going back to bed and I bid you all goodnight.