Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th July 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th July 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th July 2017

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morning to you, too.

Anybody there?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Here!

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Durham Miners Gala today.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... 0-meetings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Prime Minister May and I have developed a very special relationship and I think trade will be a very big factor between our two countries.”
The US president also hailed the “very special relationship” he had developed with May as the pair met for talks on the margins of the G20.
We may be on the margins of the G20, but at least we've got something 'very special'. Is this possible future trade deal going to be a bit like shopping at Asda?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

[youtube]lML2N4xB9GU[/youtube]
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Good morning to you, too.

Anybody there?
Been engrossed by the Lions match. What an end to the series.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Good morning to you, too.

Anybody there?
Been engrossed by the Lions match. What an end to the series.
Was certainly not expecting that, tbh :shock:
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

tinybgoat wrote:[youtube]lML2N4xB9GU[/youtube]
Oh god that's horrible, they're murdering creep. It's turned into easy listening, the chorus should kick in like a 12 ton lorry hitting a wall; its gone from hard post-punk to muzak.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Temulkar wrote:
Oh god that's horrible, they're murdering creep. It's turned into easy listening, the chorus should kick in like a 12 ton lorry hitting a wall; its gone from hard post-punk to muzak.
I've heard worse.
Mind you I ventured to a local folk club this week, for the first time in years & quite enjoyed a duo performing Joy Division's 'love will tear us apart' .... on ukeleles.
So my senses may have been compromised. ;)
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

tinybgoat wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
I've heard worse.
Mind you I ventured to a local folk club this week, for the first time in years & quite enjoyed a duo performing Joy Division's 'love will tear us apart' .... on ukeleles.
So my senses may have been compromised. ;)
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mrfrankzola.wordpress.com/2017/ ... e-answers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Afternoon all.

As we get wise to endowment mortgage and time share mis-selling, our rentier overlords simply come up with new ways to diddle the naive unsuspecting British public:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... -101726275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buyers who purchased new properties direct from some of the UK’s biggest builders have been left in the dark as investment companies play pass-the-parcel with the land their homes stand on.
Meanwhile I've been trying (and failing) to make sense of a Twitter spat between pro and anti-Corbyn factions that keeps popping up on my timeline. Anyone know anything about a Matt Zarb Cousin?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Willow904 wrote:
As we get wise to endowment mortgage and time share mis-selling, our rentier overlords simply come up with new ways to diddle the naive unsuspecting British public:
Interesting that popping up - we took out one of those with Allied Dunbar back in the 80s and although we paid off the mortgage a few years ago we kept the endowment going and it's coming up for maturity - around £2,500 more than the plan.

Wonder how many people took fright a few years back when the value started dropping and cashed in early?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

If I hadn't seen the pic I would never have believed this...
Ros Atkins‏Verified account
@BBCRosAtkins
Follow
More
.@BBCNews has confirmed that for a period Ivanka Trump represented the US at key G20 leaders session on Africa migration & health.
I'm pretty sure the swamp that needed draining so badly wasn't ever as bad that a POTUs' daughter represented him at the G20...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Interesting that popping up - we took out one of those with Allied Dunbar back in the 80s and although we paid off the mortgage a few years ago we kept the endowment going and it's coming up for maturity - around £2,500 more than the plan.

Wonder how many people took fright a few years back when the value started dropping and cashed in early?
I'm glad your endowment proved to be a good investment. And it's a good point that for some people an endowment mortgage could be a good option - there was a genuine place for it in the market when not mis-sold. I struggle to see, however, how it would ever be in the interests of a house buyer to not acquire the freehold if available. The only explanation for this ever happening is that we live in a country run by spivs for the benefit of spivs.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote: Meanwhile I've been trying (and failing) to make sense of a Twitter spat between pro and anti-Corbyn factions that keeps popping up on my timeline. Anyone know anything about a Matt Zarb Cousin?
Used to work in JC's office, left during the upheavals last year.

Apparently some Progress-y types were making allegations about his private life (and again bringing up his past gambling addiction, which he went public on some time ago) and even tried to uncover "dirt" about his family. He is not one to suffer fools gladly and responded in kind.

In happier news, AbiWilks is back on Twitter ;)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Poor old Yvette Cooper. She is clearly right in all she says, but nobody cares anymore. Corbyn has made it clear he'll never take back the PLP rebels, he is in charge for as long as his health stays good, so why would anyone care about what a backbencher thinks?

What grim unpalatable choices politics has served us up in the UK as we run headlong towards the 70s.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Poor old Yvette Cooper. She is clearly right in all she says, but nobody cares anymore. Corbyn has made it clear he'll never take back the PLP rebels, he is in charge for as long as his health stays good, so why would anyone care about what a backbencher thinks?

What grim unpalatable choices politics has served us up in the UK as we run headlong towards the 70s.

'Clearly right' - no, self-serving to get herself back on the front page

She is a moderately talented politician, but not as much as she seems to think she is and, don't forget, parts of the Labour movement have not forgiven her for her time at Work and Pensions

Kuennsberg is a pretty useless hack but she is also working within a right-wing BBC News environment (hopefully less so now that Gibbs has moved on to an unpartisan role, but I won't hold my breath)

I don't remember her being supportive of Corbyn and members of the Labour Party when they were being 'abused' by the Labour Party establishment prior to the election

Seems like the has-beens are taking turns in trying to remind us all they are still here, and relevant.

Does anyone wonder why these people do not end up in the SC
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Corbyn will, and indeed has, taken back some "PLP rebels".

Though I could not blame him if he puts those who intended to be running leadership campaigns now (to the extent of booking "battle buses" if you believe some rumours) towards the back of the queue. Those who stood down from the SC on Jez's initial election in 2015 made an obvious gamble that he would fail quickly and their eminence would duly be restored. Right now, it doesn't seem to have paid off.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

She is neither poor or particularly old.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Poor old Yvette Cooper. She is clearly right in all she says, but nobody cares anymore. Corbyn has made it clear he'll never take back the PLP rebels, he is in charge for as long as his health stays good, so why would anyone care about what a backbencher thinks?

She is a moderately talented politician, but not as much as she seems to think she is and, don't forget, parts of the Labour movement have not forgiven her for her time at Work and Pensions

Kuennsberg is a pretty useless hack but she is also working within a right-wing BBC News environment (hopefully less so now that Gibbs has moved on to an unpartisan role, but I won't hold my breath)

I don't remember her being supportive of Corbyn and members of the Labour Party when they were being 'abused' by the Labour Party establishment prior to the election

Seems like the has-beens are taking turns in trying to remind us all they are still here, and relevant.

Yes, I agree. Poor old Cooper. She just doesn't belong in the same party as those calling Laura Kuennesberg Laura C*#tesberg etc. Lavery is right, the tent is too big.

Hopefully deselections will begin, this ridiculous empasse resolved, and some minds clarified.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... profession" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

Yes, I agree. Poor old Cooper. She just doesn't belong in the same party as those calling Laura Kuennesberg Laura C*#tesberg etc. Lavery is right, the tent is too big.

Hopefully deselections will begin, this ridiculous empasse resolved, and some minds clarified.

Some people gone too far with insults...in the day of social media one can find whatever one wants to support whatever complaint or moan you have

The fact is though that Kuennesberg is a pretty terrible hack who is, in my view, is far too close to certain Tories and New Labour politicans and some of her statements have been pretty appalling. The right wing of the Labour Party (sorry, 'Moderates') have shown themselves to be able to play this game just as nastily as some of the fringes on the left - including suspending them from the party on spurious grounds

We would have hoped that after the election some would have stopped focusing internally and looking forward to a possible Labour Government - although there are clearly some that have no desire to have a Labour Government at the moment

Cooper has a place in the Labour Party....just not as big as place her ego demands she has
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Of course YC "has a place in the party" - to claim otherwise is melodramatic nonsense, there are people with very similar politics to her in Corbyn's shadow team.

Certain people need to realise, though, that getting glowing write-ups from a mostly pathologically anti-left MSM is no longer the way to get ahead in Labour these days.

This is an unequivocally positive thing, and anybody who claims otherwise is wrong. Simple as.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Meanwhile I've been trying (and failing) to make sense of a Twitter spat between pro and anti-Corbyn factions that keeps popping up on my timeline. Anyone know anything about a Matt Zarb Cousin?
Used to work in JC's office, left during the upheavals last year.

Apparently some Progress-y types were making allegations about his private life (and again bringing up his past gambling addiction, which he went public on some time ago) and even tried to uncover "dirt" about his family. He is not one to suffer fools gladly and responded in kind.

In happier news, AbiWilks is back on Twitter ;)
Thanks for the response. The reason I asked is because someone I've followed on Twitter for some time seems to have got tangled up in it all. They're anti-Corbyn, but not normally in a nasty way. I think they may have got sucked in by some misinformation about Matt Zarb-Cousin and the school he went to and had a pop at him for pretending to be working class (possibly erroneously?). The nastiness seems to have resulted from Zarb-Cousin calling him a "nonce" in return, which led to a lot of abuse of this individual from others which seems way out of proportion to his original comment, but it's hard to tell as it's impossible to follow all the tweets after the fact and I have doubtless missed stuff. I just dont normally associate this tweeter with unpleasantness, so wondered if they were just mistaken (or deliberately misled?) about Zarb-Cousin and whether that mistake deserved the response they got. Do high profile individuals have greater responsibility when throwing insults around on social media? A lot of "ifs", I know. I guess I'm sympathetic to the arguments made by the tweeter Alexander Fraser in the following thread:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Of course YC "has a place in the party" - to claim otherwise is melodramatic nonsense, there are people with very similar politics to her in Corbyn's shadow team.

Certain people need to realise, though, that getting glowing write-ups from a mostly pathologically anti-left MSM is no longer the way to get ahead in Labour these days.

This is an unequivocally positive thing, and anybody who claims otherwise is wrong. Simple as.

I do not think she is trying to "get ahead" in Labour

She's finished, as are most of the PLP. She is bright enough to know that. The future is Corbyn so long as he is hail and hearty.

She just doesn't like the abuse coming from the other side of the party.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

It is a bit like David Miliband.

His career ended in 2010, he had no intention of coming back, and yet some carried on claiming he was threatening a return. which was ridiculous.

Cooper is really able. She knows she is finished in Labour in terms of getting back on the frontbench. The members hate her and he like. (I know some of the older ones like AK don't, but he isn't representative now.) The future belongs entirely to Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne, Fisher, Murray and Lansman.

So, do what you can as a backbencher, or quit. Those are her options.

I'd quit, but I've not given my life to this.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Of course YC "has a place in the party" - to claim otherwise is melodramatic nonsense, there are people with very similar politics to her in Corbyn's shadow team.

I do not think she is trying to "get ahead" in Labour

She's finished, as are most of the PLP. She is bright enough to know that. The future is Corbyn so long as he is hail and hearty.

She just doesn't like the abuse coming from the other side of the party.

And the 'abuse' coming from her side of the party - her targets seem to be a bit one sided - don't remember her jumping in to defend Diane Abbott who is probably subject to more vile, racist, misogynistic abuse than anyone in Parliament

If the PLP don't want to represent the party anymore then she and others who feel like that should stand down and make way for those who want to

She can go and join Blair's 'centrist' party if she so wants

Alternatively she can put her talents to focusing on the Government and maybe, just maybe she could find herself influencing policy
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:It is a bit like David Miliband.

His career ended in 2010, he had no intention of coming back, and yet some carried on claiming he was threatening a return. which was ridiculous.

Cooper is really able. She knows she is finished in Labour in terms of getting back on the frontbench. The members hate her and he like. (I know some of the older ones like AK don't, but he isn't representative now.) The future belongs entirely to Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne, Fisher, Murray and Lansman.

It is his supporters, or those who wish it would happen, who were 'threatening' a return

He is finished in Labour because he was a pretty average, at best politician, who was involved in some very unpleasant activities around Iraq time, and who spent all his time undermining the leader at the time but could never actually put himself up

He lost an election that was designed for him to win and then spat out his dummy - he lost to his more, in my view, tented and likeable brother

Cooper could come back if she really wanted to but it would mean her showing some loyalty to the leadership and not around criticising (although to be fair she is far from the worst at this)

She, and others, could have a role to play but it will take more than posturing to put the last two years of PLP uselessness behind them
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:It is a bit like David Miliband.

It is his supporters, or those who wish it would happen, who were 'threatening' a return

He is finished in Labour because he was a pretty average, at best politician, who was involved in some very unpleasant activities around Iraq time, and who spent all his time undermining the leader at the time but could never actually put himself up

He lost an election that was designed for him to win and then spat out his dummy - he lost to his more, in my view, tented and likeable brother

Cooper could come back if she really wanted to but it would mean her showing some loyalty to the leadership and not around criticising (although to be fair she is far from the worst at this)

She, and others, could have a role to play but it will take more than posturing to put the last two years of PLP uselessness behind them
I don't think the have any future, save by hiding what they think. Corbyn has made it clear what his approach to those who rebelled is, and he has the leadership for life.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

On these insults about new members and their right to change the party over the older ones that is in implicit in what one poster says here, in his normal sneering way

I remember being a member back in the early 90s when we had a sudden influx after Blair took over and we saw a change in direction of the party - at the time there were a lot of very disgruntled older members who actually believed that state-ownership was not necessarily a bad thing and that the attacks on trade unionism were dangerous

The people who were part of the influx then now have to accept that the party's philosophy is not fixed in stone and can, and should change. This is why all this harking back to the 97 Blair is so misplaced - the world is so very different. Some of those new members under Blair now see their legacy being rolled back just as it was when they were the newbies and it was the last legacy of the Wilson years that was being dismantled

A new era brings new problems with new solutions - although some other new may actually be quite old in effect

Corbyn tapped into the desire for something different from a new generation, the post Iraq, and post financial crisis generation.

The 2017 election was this generation showing their teeth and long may it continue.....they are the ones who will I've with the consequences not all those Tory voters in the 65+ age group
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I don't think the have any future, save by hiding what they think. Corbyn has made it clear what his approach to those who rebelled is, and he has the leadership for life

So why did he give Owen Smith a job - I don't think he has said anywhere that he was excluding the rebels - just has indicated there has to be some understanding and contrition showed. Del Piero has a job too

It is still very raw as we are only a month after the election and there are plenty of quotes from the PLP up until 10pm June 8th slagging off the leadership

A few months of people knuckling down and supporting the party may be a way to change things

As always, your posts are just declarations of certainty - dim
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well,my constituency turned blue,the easiest and laziest thing to do would be to blame Corbyn and infiltration of non tie wearing Marxists who obviously didn't care about winning because they lost.What I can say,disappointingly is that I have lost friends/connections because I dared say it was likely to happen anyway,and even worse,I was glad it was the exception.I am not into the leader thing beyond not particularly ever liking any of them,admiration some,certainly not up to throwing my underwear at them,not least because it would be deemed an assassination attempt.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
I don't think the have any future, save by hiding what they think. Corbyn has made it clear what his approach to those who rebelled is, and he has the leadership for life

So why did he give Owen Smith a job - I don't think he has said anywhere that he was excluding the rebels - just has indicated there has to be some understanding and contrition showed. Del Piero has a job too

It is still very raw as we are only a month after the election and there are plenty of quotes from the PLP up until 10pm June 8th slagging off the leadership

A few months of people knuckling down and supporting the party may be a way to change things

In Northern Ireland.

Because Seumas thinks revenge is a dish served cold.

(And has an hidden sense of humour.)

All the junior posts have followed the same pattern, with the new intake given jobs because untainted by rebellion.

I'm not criticising. I'd do the same if I were in Seumas' shoes. No time for mercy.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

In Northern Ireland.

Because Seumas thinks revenge is a dish served cold.

(And has an hidden sense of humour.)

All the junior posts have followed the same pattern, with the new intake given jobs because untainted by rebellion.

I'm not criticising. I'd do the same if I were in Seumas' shoes. No time for mercy.

No, of course not criticising.... :shock:

NI is an important portfolio at the moment with direct rule a real possibility and the Brexit border discussions likely to be difficult

Why should Corbyn give jobs to the people who rebelled and showed him no respect? They should not be expecting anything at the moment and should work to show they deserve it - just like anyone has to if they get caught slagging off the boss

Oh, and I am intrigued on why you thing Cooper is so very able - competent I would say but she hardly covered herself in glory and a minister (being an enabler for some of the worst Tory policies) and didn't do that well as shadow to May
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

There are some green supporters I enjoy reading. And there are some I don't.

Nice weather today, most pleasant. Garden looks tidier.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Howsilly

I'm usually first in the queue to criticise Corbyn, Milne, McDonnell etc but it is impossible to do so. I wouldn't have brought back any of the PLP rebels if I were them either, and Smith to Northern Ireland is deliciously well judged.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Howsilly

I'm usually first in the queue to criticise Corbyn, Milne, McDonnell etc but it is impossible to do so. I wouldn't have brought back any of the PLP rebels if I were them either, and Smith to Northern Ireland is deliciously well judged.

Criticise way, no-one stops anyone from criticising the mistakes and errors made, or just say that you don't like them. Plenty do on here and no-one is the fount of all knowledge by any means, or has a right to be assumed to be correct

The snide implicit comments, and then saying 'I am not criticising' are a bit daft really, especially if you think anyone will fall for them

That final sly sentence says it all about you really
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]NdiRhzTsSnk[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
I'm visiting family and have limited Internet access
I apologise for not letting you all know sooner
I'll be back home late tomorrow
I love you all
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

German industry warns UK not to expect help in Brexit talks
Bosses say the priority is to protect the single market, dashing hopes that exporters will put pressure on Merkel for a favourable trade deal (Guardian)
Of course they'll come round, realise the error of their ways, etc etc . . .

If all else fails, we can bribe them with a few British neckties and some innovative (?) jam.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ver-brexit
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Ours from 1992 matured this spring 33% short of target. You may have got lucky / been wiser than me (delete as appropriate)

What was particular fun, of course, was having about 20 years of them - clerical medical - saying to us 'there is a serious risk of a shortfall to your endowment policy - you should consider buying another financial product from us to make up the difference'. We just saved money in National Saving on the side and have covered the shortfall, just.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ity-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good morning, all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -agreement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lawyers acting for Ciaran McClean, a Green politician in Northern Ireland, allege that the pact between the minority Conservative government and the DUP is in breach of both the landmark 1998 Northern Ireland peace deal and the Bribery Act.
(crowd funding campaign)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

London mayor blasts council over cut to affordable homes in Battersea revamp
Sadiq Khan says developer’s revised plan that reduces low-cost housing in historic power station scheme was ‘waved through’ by Wandsworth

Citing rising costs and other factors, including Brexit-induced economic uncertainty, which has disrupted the luxury homes market, the developers say they expect to achieve less than half of the original returns. However, the project headed by a Malaysian-led consortium is on course to make profits of £1.8bn, according to records released by Tory-led Wandsworth.

The row has intensified as previously confidential documents regarding the development – obtained by the Observer under the Freedom of Information Act – show how councillors have ignored planning guidance and in effect negotiated away thousands of affordable homes to help support the profits of developers. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... able-homes
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/u ... -go-wrong/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using personal assistants works, research concludes… but it can go wrong

In England, an estimated 65,000 disabled people employ 145,000 PAs.

one of the revolutionary innovations of the disabled people’s movement”, alongside the concept of independent living.

a call for greater efforts to bring people into the PA workforce, as a lack of choice for disabled people can force them to employ unsuitable PAs.

They also call for funding for training for both PAs and their employers, which could include training PAs in the social model of disability, and peer support – again, for both PAs and employers – to help with the potential isolation caused by personal assistance, and for both employers and PAs to have access to independent legal advice.