Monday 24th July 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 24th July 2017

Post by citizenJA »

Have a good night, everyone
love,
cJA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:
citizenJA wrote:If Tubby Isaacs is concerned about a thing, it's not likely initiated by personal malice
Yet he incessantly focuses on one personality to the exclusion of all else in the situation, so...
He's the Leader of the Opposition. Comes with the territory. I think Caroline Flint is much worse, but she's not even shadow paperclips minister.

When Gerald Coyne was putting himself forward as a serious political player, I called him out as a disgrace, even though I could have given him a free pass if my motivation was just to weaken Corbyn.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
citizenJA wrote:If Tubby Isaacs is concerned about a thing, it's not likely initiated by personal malice
Yet he incessantly focuses on one personality to the exclusion of all else in the situation, so...
He's the Leader of the Opposition. Comes with the territory. I think Caroline Flint is much worse, but she's not even shadow paperclips minister.

When Gerald Coyne was putting himself forward as a serious political player, I called him out as a disgrace.
Leader of the opposition, not in power, not privy to brexit negotiations, and unlikely to be as long as the bitterites continue their campaign of lies. Hard brexit wont be corbyn's fault, it will be the fault of those who chose to use brexit as a means to attack him, whilst letting the actual government off the hook. Just as they have been doing since June 23rd last year. Just as you have been doing since June 23rd last year, along with the, now conclusively disproved, nonsense of unelectablity.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I've got a solution. Norway. I can't guarantee it, but I thought I made a case why it would be acceptable to the EU.

How does that first bit work? Did the people in my road think "I don't like him, fancy metropolitan, it's Brexit for me!"

That's Brendon O'Neiil stuff.
Norway, so no deal on agriculture and fisheries. No Customs Union and no say in the rules.....Schengen as well. No passporting either

Or do you mean Norway but other things as well and some bits left off so essentially not Norway
I'd be delighted to be in Schengen, but I don't think it'll be conceded easily or pushed too hard by the EU, for reasons I've said.

Being outside the Customs Union but in the EEA means that Norway only has Customs checks for stuff originating outside the EU. That's our best hope of doing right by Ireland, and having a low key border, like Norway and Switzerland do.

The CAP isn't generally considered something it's disastrous not to be in.
Before the election Owen Jones was saying this:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ank-cheque" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour will rip up Theresa May’s Brexit plan but respect the referendum result. The benefits of the single market and the customs union will be on the table.
Now Barry Gardiner is saying this:
Of course we must try to retain the economic benefits of the single market when we leave the EU: some argue this means we should negotiate to stay inside the European Economic Area (EEA), which would retain the friction-free trade not only in goods but also in services, upon which the bulk of our economy is based.

However, the political price to be paid for such access is correspondingly high, and runs directly counter to the leavers’ four objectives. In the EEA, Britain would be obliged to keep the four freedoms, including the free movement of people, so no regaining control of our borders; align its regulatory regime with the EU’s – so no regaining sovereignty (in fact we would no longer have a seat at the table so there would actually be a reduction of sovereignty); follow ECJ rulings; and still pay into the EU budget.
Because it's Labour's job to only represent the interests of those who voted to leave the EU? Even when they are already well represented by the government who are pursuing the exact same aims? Where did the choice go that Owen Jones so generously offered us before the election?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Best remember that the country does not divide into 52% Hard Brexiteers and 48% Hard Remainers.

Most folk are somewhere in the middle without a sodding clue what's going on.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bank of England warns over 'spiral of complacency' on household debt

The willingness of consumers to take on more debt to fund their spending helped the economy grow strongly in the six months after the EU referendum, a period when the Bank expected growth to fall sharply.

Over the past year, Brazier [Alex Brazier, the Bank director for financial stability] said, household incomes had grown by just 1.5% but outstanding car loans, credit card balances and personal loans had risen by 10%. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -car-loans
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:
Leader of the opposition, not in power, not privy to brexit negotiations, and unlikely to be as long as the bitterites continue their campaign of lies. Hard brexit wont be corbyn's fault, it will be the fault of those who chose to use brexit as a means to attack him, whilst letting the actual government off the hook. Just as they have been doing since June 23rd last year. Just as you have been doing since June 23rd last year, along with the, now conclusively disproved, nonsense of unelectablity.
Bitterites? He's getting a free pass on Hard Brexit from all except about 50 MPs, who are mostly in London and going with their constituencies- who just rewarded them with stonking majorities. If there's some rump of Jim Murphy types cynically driving the opposition to Hard Brexit so they can pop up with a Blairite coup, I've missed them.

And losing to Theresa May by 57 seats after the worst campaign and manifesto in living memory isn't all that great a result, in my book. You don't conclusively prove somebody is electable by them not being elected.

Campaign of lies, eh? Who's just popped up here then? It's Barry Gardiner. He's Shadow Trade Secretary- I'm not searching out obscure people here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ain-europe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Davis, to his credit, has considered paying for access to the Single Market. As far as I can tell, Gardiner thinks UK exports should whizz across the EU without paying in.

The ground is being prepared for Hard Brexit. I'm not happy with that.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ank-cheque" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour will rip up Theresa May’s Brexit plan but respect the referendum result. The benefits of the single market and the customs union will be on the table.
Of course we must try to retain the economic benefits of the single market when we leave the EU: some argue this means we should negotiate to stay inside the European Economic Area (EEA), which would retain the friction-free trade not only in goods but also in services, upon which the bulk of our economy is based.

However, the political price to be paid for such access is correspondingly high, and runs directly counter to the leavers’ four objectives. In the EEA, Britain would be obliged to keep the four freedoms, including the free movement of people, so no regaining control of our borders; align its regulatory regime with the EU’s – so no regaining sovereignty (in fact we would no longer have a seat at the table so there would actually be a reduction of sovereignty); follow ECJ rulings; and still pay into the EU budget.
Because it's Labour's job to only represent the interests of those who voted to leave the EU? Even when they are already well represented by the government who are pursuing the exact same aims? Where did the choice go that Owen Jones so generously offered us before the election?
It's somehow gone from "Don't alienate the leavers" to "Winner takes all for the leavers"- if what they're supposed to have voted for is even possible.

Dreadful. From the Shadow Trade Minister, no less.

I wonder if Starmer (who hasn't shown much but at least probably knows the score with Brexit) is going to step down? He's lining up some paid legal work on the side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The edit in my last post was to substitute square brackets for curvy ones.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

It's somehow gone from "Don't alienate the leavers" to "Winner takes all for the leavers"- if what they're supposed to have voted for is even possible.

Dreadful. From the Shadow Trade Minister, no less.

I wonder if Starmer (who hasn't shown much but at least probably knows the score with Brexit) is going to step down? He's lining up some paid legal work on the side.

Yes - I saw the Keir Starmer article. My first thought was that it's a strange time for the Shadow "Brexit" Minister to consider taking on extra-curricula activities.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Calling out existence of shadow paper clips Minister as fake news.

Remain vigilant comrades.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It might just be that Starmer likes earning money- William Hague was allowed to do stuff by Cameron when he came back on the frontbench. But the timing is odd, as you say.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:Calling out existence of shadow paper clips Minister as fake news.

Remain vigilant comrades.
Ha ha. I wish it were a job. I'd give it to Flint.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Barring a few I bemoan the vast majority.Twas ever thus,though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I think if I was sufficiently satisfied I would internally combust or something similar.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Role reversal.

Night Night.

(thinking of you Roger and better half,if you look in)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:@RogerOThornhill
Please give my love to your family
Thank you.

Quick update for those interested - she was admitted this morning after being given the choice of "go home with anti-sickness drugs and then maybe have to come back to A&E anyway or we'll admit you now". Easy choice. Let them try and work out what's wrong. Went to see her again tonight and she's a bit more comfortable. There was something on the scan that was a slight cause for concern (which also corresponded to a pain she had) so they'll see what they can find.
Thanks for the update Roger, love, best wishes & fingers crossed for you both xx
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The prospect of the UK's future trading relationship with the US being negotiated by disgraced former Defence Secretary Liam Fox is rising to the top of my personal list of concerns.
Surely some mistake.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ed Conway can reassure you. Chicken (on which there'd likely be a major difference) is 0.2% of UK-US trade. These things take ages for a reason.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Combined (what remains of teeth)brushing and posting.This multitask thngi a pieze of piz

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... popularity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Housing benefit cuts spark row as Emmanuel Macron's poll ratings fall
Students and opposition party demand French president withdraw cost-cutting measure as he’s accused of targeting poor
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

From one year ago. Can we avoid a return to this crap?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 22.46.37.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 22.46.37.png (309.44 KiB) Viewed 16280 times
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jerry Hogg‏
@jerryhogg

One side point from the Charlie Gard case: Mr Justice Francis soundly criticises Tory legal aid policy in this matter. Excellent judgement.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cleverly put,of course political and of course he thinks it intentional.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Talking of Charlie Gard, this is astonishing...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Old Panorama on youtube, about the 1995 Tory Leadership. IDS is one of the main Redwood supporters. What a career.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Night night.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Redwood is actually coming across OK so far, and being attacked on silly "You were loyal last week" stuff. Redwood rightly points out Major resigned as leader, which was a bit of a gamechanger.

IDS' fellow Redwood supporter on the panel is the charming Barry Legg, one of Shirley Porter's chief muckers.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/lexit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sleepposting
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Interesting........

Farmers Weekly‏
@FarmersWeekly

GREAT NEWS FOR FARMERS... Defra @DefraGovUK sec Michael Gove has just guaranteed FREE TRADE deal with #EU after #Brexit #royalwelshshow

Farmers Weekly‏ @FarmersWeekly 4h4 hours ago
More
Dear readers: Gove comments are accurate on what he told reporters. Can he really guarantee a free trade deal with EU after #Brexit ? NO.

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Farmers Weekly‏
@FarmersWeekly
Follow
More
Dear readers: Gove comments are accurate on what he told reporters. Can he really guarantee a free trade deal with EU after #Brexit ? NO.
:D :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You beat me to it!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some reaction to Grayling Crossrail 2/abandoned electrification combo.

Transport secretary's backing for Crossrail 2 sparks anger outside London
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cy-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on the Tories' new energy policy
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ail-2-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(Do you think they noticed)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Some reaction to Grayling Crossrail 2/abandoned electrification combo.

Transport secretary's backing for Crossrail 2 sparks anger outside London
Yes I believe the Leeds Manchester route will now not be electrified.

Hey just a couple of backwater towns. Why would we need a good rail link? :roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I delayed the intended link myself.Ahem.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:I delayed the intended link myself.Ahem.
Procrastination is the thief of time.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

So, without further ado -

Night night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Said boo to a goose today,didn't seem that impressed.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The kind of post I'm not sure I can get to the end of, god knows how anyone else will feel.

I'm to repost the Jolyon Maugham quote that gilsey posted earlier this morning.
the Referendum result is that we should have Brexit unless public opinion decisively turns. We must listen. If the electorate comes to think that what it wanted from Brexit it will not get from Brexit it must be heard.

This is the only control on the dishonest conduct of a Referendum that our politics can offer. In a General Election you kick out a Government that breaks its Manifesto promises. But if the sanctity of a Referendum result survives both the lies told to deliver it and a public coming to understand it had been misled we have no functioning democracy at all.
There's a good starting point. 'The will of the people' is a dead end if it's all that can be said. There was a referendum and we voted to leave and we're leaving - but it's not impossible that public opinion could radically change when reality becomes more apparent.

I think Labour are being increasingly foolish and plain wrong in what they're saying - more below. For here, if The Will Of The People were expressed to restore capital punishment - and it seems less likely now than in the past but it's a reasonable hypothetical - then I would turn my back on a Labour party that said 'Well, that's the result' and then started arguing for the noose over the chair.

Norway - I know how much things can change but everything suggests that this is another dead end. The other members of the EEA won't have us and are likely to have the authority to say so and close the idea down.

Customs Union - our industrial base such as it is has developed over the last quarter century within a system of swift movement of goods and services, of an increasing culture of just in time ordering and an increasing Post-Fordist idea across different suppliers in different countries in specialisation. We're fucked as we stand now if we're outside the Customs Union and this isn't being said enough.

Single Market - this stuff about membership and access is pedantry. There is something about being within the single market which is qualitatively and functionally different (and better) than not being - and the rest of the EU will make sure that wherever on the 'access' scale we end up after this it will be qualitatively and functionally worse for us than being in.

And government - the tories have a minority government and have secured a small working majority. Again, nobody knows, but it is hugely and overwhelmingly unlikely that they will lose that majority in the short or medium term. Unhappy pro-remain conservatives will not risk bringing about a general election which they think they could easily lose. They just won't. The DUP won't take the same risk for a more focused 'Corbyn and McDonnell' reason. They are going to see through the Article 50 process and we will be out. They are probably going to see through the next four to five years.

The miserable as fuck plus side of that is that they will own the catastrophe. Labour should be opposing them. Fuck this nonsense about 52% and electability - when on earth did Corbyn ever care for a second about reshaping policies and ideas in order to chase public opinion and appeal to reluctant labour voters? When? Why now?

Labour should be opposing them. They should have been even louder during the campaign (which I think they did a decent job on, disagreeing with most people from the other direction this time) about all of the specifics that are now arising and they should have done it again during the Article 50 votes. When you stand up and shout about the fact the government don't know what they doing on Euratom - as one example - you shape public opinion. Sovereignty is more important than medical isotopes, yeah? That alone was a reason to vote against the government in January. It should not only be coming to the public's attention now.

I think we're fucked and I think there's nothing we can do about it but they need to be ready to offer something to pick up the pieces and I find what they're saying increasingly dishonest.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@Adam

Great post. iI don't agree with some of your analysis, but thanks for acknowledging there are other viewpoints and offering opportunity for debate.

I still think you misunderstand Corbyn. But I don't know the guy and the misunderstanding may be mine. I think Labour are ready to oppose, but there is a democratic space for that, called the House of Commons. It's not his fault that May has wasted six months. If she'd called an emergency session now to debate Brexit, Corbyn would have been there.

My plea is to be patient and wait for Parliament to return. Labour have their six tests. If Corbyn doesn't apply them, he will lose my support.

But IMHO he is right not to have this debate on the silly season sofa.