Tuesday 15 July 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 15 July 2017

Post by HindleA »

Think they get first dibs at the next one.Haven't heard further.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well even if that's what they were saying Labour (lest we forget) aren't in government, and by the time the opportunity arises for that to change the question could quite possibly be resolved (at least for the short term) If not, I remain optimistic an incoming Labour government would be sensible and pragmatic about things :)

Yeah. What oppositions say and do doesn't matter, so why worry?

Especially in a hung Parliament
Has everybody apart from me really forgotten how Labour approached Maastricht back in the day (when the parliamentary arithmetic was, of course, not dissimilar)?

To some extent this query is applicable to Corbyn and others, but IMO it is considerably more pertinent to many of his critics.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Has anyone here heard any more about the people who were unable to vote on General Election day owing to local council cock-ups? I thought the problem had been reported to the Electoral Commission.
I'll make a note to ask next time I'm at a meeting
I'm not in Stoke South but maybe there's information about it I've not seen
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Government backs 'North London Powerhouse'

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 725132762?

The controversial project will bring long-needed investment to neglected areas like Camden and Islington, and will finally provide residents with a transport link to central London.

Transport secretary Chris Grayling said: “With the new rail link, we will open up possibilities to them in Soho and Westminster that were previously impossible without taking the Northern Line.
:D

That's akin to scaling the north face of the Matterhorn.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well even if that's what they were saying Labour (lest we forget) aren't in government, and by the time the opportunity arises for that to change the question could quite possibly be resolved (at least for the short term) If not, I remain optimistic an incoming Labour government would be sensible and pragmatic about things :)

Yeah. What oppositions say and do doesn't matter, so why worry?

Especially in a hung Parliament
Has everybody apart from me really forgotten how Labour approached Maastricht back in the day (when the parliamentary arithmetic was, of course, not dissimilar)?

To some extent this query is applicable to Corbyn and others, but IMO it is considerably more pertinent to many of his critics.
Opposed Maastricht without the Social Chapter, wasn't it?

What's the comparison here? Supporting Hard Brexit with cherries on top?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tory MPs call for action to avert post-Brexit ports gridlock

Backbenchers say customs checks need to be improved, roads widened and projects such as new Thames crossing speeded up (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-gridlock
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Impressed.Did you ever get as far as Balham?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

adam wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Agreed Anatoly.

But why aren't MPs like Alexander in the media sticking up for Corbyn against Tory lies on student debt and celebrating electoral successes like you?

I still don't trust MPs like Alexander. They are still trying to divide my beloved party. I just want them to go away.

I agree. They should "go away". They don't belong.
Because Labour needs to keep a flavour of the month membership and not try to be a broad church, even if sometimes an impossibly broad church, otherwise Corbyn and McDonnell wouldn't have been around to take on the leadership of the party having left during the Blair years and set up something else.
A broad church is fine by me, but once you have an agreed manifesto you should broadly stick with it. Heidi Alexander has had plenty of chances to make herself heard.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Post-Brexit trade deals 'threaten UK's animal welfare standards'

The report from the House of Lords warns the standards of UK producers could be put under pressure by demands from other countries to allow an influx of cheap and lower-standard food as part of trade deals.

It was published as the prime minister’s spokesperson said that allowing imports of US products such as chicken meat washed with chlorine would not be ruled out in trade deals. This came from No 10, despite assurances to the Guardian last week from the Department of Environment and Rural Affairs (Defra) that any trade deal would maintain or raise food standards. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rade-deals
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Labour voted against the government on Maastricht.

On Art 50, Labour had a 3 line whip for triggering it without conditions, supporting the government.

not comparable at all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bal-ham?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]youtube.com/HmDOczoYokA[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]HmDOczoYokA[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

On Art 50, Labour had a 3 line whip for triggering it without conditions, supporting the government.

not comparable at all.
They took what was percieved by purists as an "anti-European" and "opportunist" position then, too.

Despite that, party discipline held almost totally. People realised making the Tories squirm was more important.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:Bal-ham?
Gateway to the South!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ah great.
More use of the open, democratic, public board to have rows in front of the people who come here to chill out a bit.

Perfect to come home to relax in.

Thanks.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Stig Abell‏Verified account @StigAbell 10h10 hours ago
More
Chlorination Chicken could work as a new dish for the Brexit Empire.
:clap:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Still some teething problems . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Dentist?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Dentist?

As my uncle would say when not offered a cigarette, "What are you - a dentist? Pullin' 'em out one at a time . . ."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

They didn't vote against Maastricht. They voted against Maastricht with John Major's regressive opt out because they wanted to force Major to pass the social chapter too.

Euro purists would applaud the Labour position because it would have strengthened EU unity.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

not comparable at all.
They took what was percieved by purists as an "anti-European" and "opportunist" position then, too.

Despite that, party discipline held almost totally. People realised making the Tories squirm was more important.
How does arguing the government's policy for them make them "squirm"? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand the strategy of siding with the government on leaving the single market when, according to the polls, a majority of people favour staying in.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

How's Mrs Dr today?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Loving this poll on the Express website.
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 19.57.57.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 19.57.57.png (266.54 KiB) Viewed 15708 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:@RogerOThornhill

How's Mrs Dr today?
Not too bad thanks - eating again.

She has to have a biopsy at some point but not sure whether that's before she comes out (said to be in 24/48hrs) or at some other time.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:Loving this poll on the Express website.
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 19.57.57.png
Really - no "No - because our politicians are totally crap and haven't worked out what they want yet" option?

I'm shocked...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

“Brexit would have been a terrible idea even if done as well as possible, but for the Government to so blithely march the country towards consequences that they don’t even themselves understand is an appalling dereliction of duty”.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 59106.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess that's more or less my view. In case anyone hadn't noticed.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

So UK NGOs may well struggle, UK companies will be worse off, and developing countries will have access to a smaller pool of expertise. Who knew?”

Referring to Michael Gove’s pre-referendum comments on experts, Mr Bullock added: “Well, some people knew, but they’re just experts, so have been largely ignored.”
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Despite that, party discipline held almost totally. People realised making the Tories squirm was more important.
And so how is voting for art 50 without conditions, and backing leaving the single market, making the "Tories squirm"?

Most Tory Brexiters are relieved Labour is led by a fellow traveller.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Despite that, party discipline held almost totally. People realised making the Tories squirm was more important.
And so how is voting for art 50 without conditions, and backing leaving the single market, making the "Tories squirm"?

I'm sure you have no evidence to support the latter assertion.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well,possibly on a singular basis,to be fair.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Well,possibly on a singular basis,to be fair.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote: eating again.
In hospital? :shock:
Brave lady.

Best wishes.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It may have been an error to say he ignores me,but I'll stop now.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Nine local council byelections last week:
Three contests this week.
Wowsers. Good work AK!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

More than 600,000 pupils in England taught by unqualified teachers
After a pledge by Jeremy Corbyn to stamp out the practice, the party has analysed official figures to calculate that 613,000 pupils in state-funded schools in England have been taught by adults with no formal teaching qualifications.
Labour claims the use of teachers who are not qualified leads to children in state schools being taught by people who have had no guaranteed training in safeguarding children, controlling a class or adapting teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils.
I would be surprised if all of this were correct - everyone in our school has to go through safeguarding training, from the head to the canteen staff and cleaners. The rest might be true although some of the best 'teachers' I know are unqualified instructors who are paid a lot less than me.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

adam wrote:More than 600,000 pupils in England taught by unqualified teachers
After a pledge by Jeremy Corbyn to stamp out the practice, the party has analysed official figures to calculate that 613,000 pupils in state-funded schools in England have been taught by adults with no formal teaching qualifications.
Labour claims the use of teachers who are not qualified leads to children in state schools being taught by people who have had no guaranteed training in safeguarding children, controlling a class or adapting teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils.
I would be surprised if all of this were correct - everyone in our school has to go through safeguarding training, from the head to the canteen staff and cleaners. The rest might be true although some of the best 'teachers' I know are unqualified instructors who are paid a lot less than me.
Safeguarding training is somewhat different to intensive lectures and sessions on child protection and safety and a module which your PGCE is dependent upon. Added to that is the 20 weeks of supervised classroom training on management and individual learning planning, followed up by 3 other modules requiring degree level essays. The difference between a QTS and non-qualified teacher is tremendous, and it shows in the classroom, and the results. And it's no surprise that this happens in primarily poor areas which find it more difficult to recruit QTS, even further hitting those kids educational aspiration.

LEAs still hire QTS but Academies deliberately do not in a number of non core subject areas, and increasingly in core subjects with shortages - and that's just secondary, primary academies are in an even worse state. There is nothing in this that surprises me given the conversations I have with colleagues. Wales is fortunately different, for now, but I wouldn't count on it lasting.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Temulkar wrote:
adam wrote:More than 600,000 pupils in England taught by unqualified teachers
Safeguarding training is somewhat different to intensive lectures and sessions on child protection and safety and a module which your PGCE is dependent upon. Added to that is the 20 weeks of supervised classroom training on management and individual learning planning, followed up by 3 other modules requiring degree level essays. The difference between a QTS and non-qualified teacher is tremendous, and it shows in the classroom, and the results. And it's no surprise that this happens in primarily poor areas which find it more difficult to recruit QTS, even further hitting those kids educational aspiration.

LEAs still hire QTS but Academies deliberately do not in a number of non core subject areas, and increasingly in core subjects with shortages - and that's just secondary, primary academies are in an even worse state. There is nothing in this that surprises me given the conversations I have with colleagues. Wales is fortunately different, for now, but I wouldn't count on it lasting.
Can't argue with a lot of that - although the safeguarding work we do in school is better and more extensive than anything I did on my PGCE, that was about 18 years ago, mind. We are good at getting instructors qualified and at using them alongside QTS staff
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

I'm sure you have no evidence to support the latter assertion.
Oh, I don't know

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... viour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Parcels are backing up at TNT depots in their thousands after the company admitted it is still struggling to deal with the aftermath of June’s cyber-attack that crippled IT systems around the world.

A TNT spokeswoman said on Monday that there was no update to the statement issued last week. A customer care phone line to TNT’s main UK hub was not working on Monday, adding to the frustration of customers.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... x-notpetya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA emphasis)
This isn't okay at all. It's an impossible situation for businesses and their customers. Shipments aren't moving and there's little information from the company. I don't know TNT. I've had recent difficulties with online orders and doubt it's related. Frightening, though. I'm not entirely comfortable with capitalist global economic systems, logistics, delivery and the infrastructure propping it up. What happens when a handful of monster wealth entities decide they no longer require the civilisation we're all relying on? That's an aside.

TNT has some great big problems and those relying on them do too.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

It's 13 years since my PGCE and they must have changed it. It was one of the most intense parts of the course, and harrowing, and you had to pass it. I've seen nothing in school training that comes close to that depth of study, and I've done CP courses in every school I've been in.

I'm glad it was intense too, as a HoY I would have been lost without that training, it helped me to spot and help kids in some pretty dire situations (fed to me by similarly trained form teachers, undeniably). And I was lucky we had brilliant social workers and attached police officers. But all of that was before the Govian wrecking ball, and its been cut to the bone now.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ote-passes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Senate Republicans vote to open debate on repealing and replacing Obamacare
Key step toward healthcare reform passes thanks in part to John McCain’s return, but shape of final legislation and chances of success remain unclear
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Will you tell him or will I ?

Labour could CHANGE its Brexit stance if public mood shifts says member of Jeremy Corbyn's top team
Shadow cabinet minister Andrew Gwynne suggested Labour’s support for Brexit could be “flexible” if public opinion turns against leaving Europe

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/l ... e-10871230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Labour’s Titanic Brexit nightmare
In even flirting with leaving the EU Single Market, the UK is heading full steam towards an iceberg of historic proportions, and this will destroy Labour if a change of course is not pursued
Dr Matthew L. Bishop, Associate Fellow, SPERI & Senior Lecturer in International Politics, University of Sheffield

http://speri.dept.shef.ac.uk/2017/07/24 ... nightmare/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

i see hyperbole is the name of the day

I see a lot of the old anti-Corbyn gang are back with a vengance

I am reminded of the frothing of Brexiters we have had to put up with in the past

Pardon me if I ignore your predictions of the future...now just waiting for 20% and 100 seats TE to come back and join in
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Labour supports Hard Brexit at the moment. That will be shit.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

As a British EU negotiator, I can tell you that Brexit is going to be far worse than anyone could have guessed
The Government keeps saying it ‘didn’t realise’ the problems, but they had the experts at Whitehall – they just refused to listen to them. Now we’re facing a breakdown in airline safety, medicine, animal welfare, security, international aid and so much more
From the indypindy
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Oh FFS.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

howsillyofme1 wrote:i see hyperbole is the name of the day
/...
..now just waiting for 20% and 100 seats to come back and join in
Ahem.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TE did predict something along those lines I regret to say, it is on the record.