Wednesday 26th July 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 26th July 2017

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is a typical harrier, which hunts on long wings held in a shallow V in its low flight during which the bird closely hugs the contours of the land below it. Northern or hen harriers hunt primarily small mammals, as do most harriers. Up to 95% of the diet comprises small mammals.However, birds are hunted with some regularity as well, especially by males. Preferred avian prey include passerines of open country (i.e. sparrows, larks, pipits), small shorebirds and the young of waterfowl and galliforms. Supplementing the diet occasionally are amphibians (especially frogs), reptiles and insects (especially orthopterans).[7] The species has been observed to hunt bats if these are available.[10] Larger prey, such as rabbits and adult ducks are taken sometimes and harriers have been known to subdue these by drowning them in water.[7] Harriers hunt by surprising prey while flying low to the ground in open areas, as they drift low over fields and moors.[5] The harriers circle an area several times listening and looking for prey. Harriers use hearing regularly to find prey, as they have exceptionally good hearing for diurnal raptors, this being the function of their owl-like facial disc.[7] This harrier tends to be a very vocal bird while it glides over its hunting ground.
So, yes, I am doubting it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Gamekeepers persecute various species illegally - my dad has been into birds his whole life and can confirm some of the stuff that goes on.

Williamson may have got the "reason" wrong, but make no mistake it has happened.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Grahame Morris was a new one on me. He's in the Shadow Cabinet too.

Grahame Morris‏Verified account @grahamemorris Jul 24
Ironic and ridiculous that @mariacaulfield has sponsored a @theRCN event on #ScrapTheCap when she voted against giving nurses a pay rise!

He's actually pinned this tweet.

Maria Caulfield isn't "sponsoring" the event. She's hosting it. She's an ex-nurse, and the RCN point out that they look for allies everywhere. Caulfield wants the nurse pay cap lifted. There was a vote on lifting the pay cap for the whole public sector. Does he see the difference? Anyway, even if you disagree strongly, you're supposed to work with people to sort problems, right? Or is that just Hamas and Sinn Fein, who are better than THE TORIES!!!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Gamekeepers persecute various species illegally - my dad has been into birds his whole life and can confirm some of the stuff that goes on.

Williamson may have got the "reason" wrong, but make no mistake it has happened.
He's on the frontbench. He can get stuff right. What's he going to be like with a complicated brief on his desk?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Why would you think that? The UK undergraduate teaching is loss making, it is the other parts of the business that cross subsidise it. Get out of it. If politically too difficult, just cut it back to a minimum (as the LSE has done).[/terms ]

So name me that world class university that is completely private with only private students. You are saying if we change our HE system our best universities will opt out and remain top universities. I'm suggesting this is not very likely. I think it an empty threat. I think they will have to lump it or if they don't lump it they won't remain top universities for long with only private income and private students. Oxbridge has influence over government HE policy, of course it does, but it's not omnipotent. Our HE system should be shaped around the training and skills needs of the country, not the commercial ambitions of our elite institutions. You're talking as if it matters in skills investment terms whether we train our lawyers at Oxford or Aberystwyth. It doesn't. It only matters in cultural and elitist terms. There could be something to be said for calling their bluff.
I think it would be a huge call to go private in England, but the MIT, Stanford, Yale etc are all private.
I may be misconstruing here*, but MIT get 66% of their campus research support from federal funds.

*Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...
Tom McTague‏Verified account
@TomMcTague
Follow
More
Exc: Politico understands No 10 Director of Strategy and May's chief speechwriter Chris Wilkins has quit. Leaving next week. Story to follow
Comment from Tom McTaque...
Wilkins was a key architect of "Mayism" along with Nick Timothy (helping the Just About Managing.) Leaving signals end of the project.
Soon Robbie Gibb will be standing around wondering where everyone has gone...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sorry to disagree again, but calling out Caulfield on this is fair play IMO. She voted to continue the pay freeze didn't she?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-doorways" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Homeless people in Oxford threatened with £2,500 fines
Despicable Britain.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 60456.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK farmers are setting up businesses in Poland ahead of Brexit
UK farmers consider moving to mainland Europe as some warn the price of fruits could rise by almost 50 per cent
Dumbass irony beyond measure Britain.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Various ways to continually move the inconvenient,all night alarms,spike arrangements around shops and park benches,fining for feeding etc.Always been about,it was like a game of chess v moved on by the police,to be fair the latter didn't particular like it,each side knew they would return later,many on first name basis,etc in the '80's.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 61271.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 'left wing' case for Leave and Remain.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:Various ways to continually move the inconvenient,all night alarms,spike arrangements around shops and park benches,fining for feeding etc.Always been about,it was like a game of chess v moved on by the police,to be fair the latter didn't particular like it,each side knew they would return later,many on first name basis,etc in the '80's.
Local charity runs day centre for homeless people providing a place to be, food, hygeine, advice and representation and so on. They are very generously provided with all sorts of supplies to give away by generous local people and businesses, including new 'comprehensive' camping gear. They are told by various authorities not to distribute the camping gear - it would be a disincentive to homeless people to stop being homeless.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
HindleA wrote:Various ways to continually move the inconvenient,all night alarms,spike arrangements around shops and park benches,fining for feeding etc.Always been about,it was like a game of chess v moved on by the police,to be fair the latter didn't particular like it,each side knew they would return later,many on first name basis,etc in the '80's.
Local charity runs day centre for homeless people providing a place to be, food, hygeine, advice and representation and so on. They are very generously provided with all sorts of supplies to give away by generous local people and businesses, including new 'comprehensive' camping gear. They are told by various authorities not to distribute the camping gear - it would be a disincentive to homeless people to stop being homeless.
(cJA emphasis)
Has someone told various authorities having camping equipment but no home is still homelessness?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yeah,cardboard boxes were too easilly available previously.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Thanks to the participants for the really interesting debate today on universities. I enjoyed it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Brexit - All bets are off for Irish horse racing industry

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britai ... KKBN1AB1N1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 60456.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK farmers are setting up businesses in Poland ahead of Brexit
UK farmers consider moving to mainland Europe as some warn the price of fruits could rise by almost 50 per cent
Dumbass irony beyond measure Britain.

Raspberries to you, too.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It somehow brings to mind Eddie Izzard's long ago commentary on Prince Philip, fox hunter, being the President of WWF.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]5mFUYm5QFUE[/youtube]

We should be on the stage-sweeping it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

This is going off at a complete tangent, but -

These "no win, no fee" merchants (PPI, personal injury etc). Is there any data showing what percentage of a "win" they take? Must be a fair amount - if only to pay for their ads.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TC2

Tarquin Resistance has PM'd you.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:[youtube]5mFUYm5QFUE[/youtube]

We should be on the stage-sweeping it.
[youtube]s82ho7w9X6Q[/youtube]

The end always makes me jump even though I have it timed to the second.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:This is going off at a complete tangent, but -

These "no win, no fee" merchants (PPI, personal injury etc). Is there any data showing what percentage of a "win" they take? Must be a fair amount - if only to pay for their ads.
That's not a tangent, that's a slightly overlapping circle, then another slightly overlapping circle, then another slightly overlapping circle THEN a tangent.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Thanks to the participants for the really interesting debate today on universities. I enjoyed it.
Seconded, genuinely interesting to read. And evidence that a certain contributor can enter into the spirit of things when they want to ;)
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

The thing with being homeless is not so much the immediate time when you were homeless - Looking back it was just another day followed by another day trying to survive, avoid being urinated on or kicked and beaten whilst trying to sleep night times at weekends. No the real shock comes later when you have been rehoused and still to this day I fear going outside because no matter how smartly dressed and clean you are there will always be a part of you that feels below most everyone else in town. Mad hey?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just became momentarily mesmerized by an unsolicited mailchimp ad.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

There is a young man who asks for money to cover the costs of the night shelter from time to time in my 'hood, who makes me concerned. If I was a proper adult I would want to help him more than giving him a couple of quid, but I have no idea what a proper adult would do. He's probably mid-20s, and seems robust, but lost.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Thanks to the participants for the really interesting debate today on universities. I enjoyed it.
Ditto.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

discordantharmony,thanks for insight.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thing the average life expectancy is about 47.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Paul - am trying to follow up on your responses to my questions, but of course everything becomes a research project when you start thinking about it. Am starting to get drawn into the issue of Germany's emerging dominance (more irony) but meanwhile got distracted by this:

Language, Hegemony and the European Union
Re-examining ‘Unity in Diversity’
Authors: Williams, Glyn, Williams, Gruffudd
http://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319334158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like it might be interesting if only I could understand it. We need translators to help natural scientists understand social science.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/02/2 ... in-the-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On German hegemony within Europe rather than EU hegemony within the world, but interesting nevertheless.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Paul - am trying to follow up on your responses to my questions, but of course everything becomes a research project when you start thinking about it. Am starting to get drawn into the issue of Germany's emerging dominance (more irony) but meanwhile got distracted by this:

http://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319334158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like it might be interesting if only I could understand it. We need translators to help natural scientists understand social science.
Gramsci. Hegemony. Brings back all the brain hurt. Thanks a bunch.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The impact assessments of various Government policies that there are state risk of homelessness as possible consequences ,doesn't disabuse my fascistically intended,contention,given targeted nature,despite the propaganda, ie.in effect if you can't "behaviourially change",by miracle cures etc
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A British withdrawal from the EU could increase this perception of German dominance – and with it the pressure on other countries to form coalitions to “counterbalance” against German power. Paradoxically, therefore, Germany could in reality be weaker in an EU without the UK.
One suspects that until culture helps us further overcome some basic biological constraints: (eg: https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/70034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Intergroup failures of empathy) well-intentioned coalition building is always going to struggle.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Paul - am trying to follow up on your responses to my questions, but of course everything becomes a research project when you start thinking about it. Am starting to get drawn into the issue of Germany's emerging dominance (more irony) but meanwhile got distracted by this:

Gramsci. Hegemony. Brings back all the brain hurt. Thanks a bunch.
saint emoticon.png
saint emoticon.png (942 Bytes) Viewed 11376 times
(am sure HSOM won't mind)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I know repeat but feel obliged to re-do.

Written on Toilet in Lancaster University

"The hegemonic struggle is trying to finish your crap before the next lecture"
"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

As Paul Calf would say: Bloody Styoodents.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(what ya gonna do? hit me with your dissertation?)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:There is a young man who asks for money to cover the costs of the night shelter from time to time in my 'hood, who makes me concerned. If I was a proper adult I would want to help him more than giving him a couple of quid, but I have no idea what a proper adult would do. He's probably mid-20s, and seems robust, but lost.
Last winter myself & daughter took a 20 something homeless man to Oxfam & bought him jumper, warm jacket, and oversized outer water proof. All he had on was a skinny summer jacket and shirt. Then we went to the cafe next door and had a meal with him & listened to him. Mum/Dad split up step dad turned out to be a bit brutal - they threw him out after he got sanctioned for missing an interview. So out of the blue - homeless and on the streets. A few phone calls later we got him a night place at a shelter, bought his tram ticket to get him there & gave him a tenner for whatever. It was near Christmas & freezing. He cried, we were ashamed that so little help touched him so deeply.
Never seem him since, but often think about him and hope life took a better turn for him, he didn't lack education or intelligence, just a home, confidence, a chance & family love.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Philosophy of praxis"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:"Philosophy of praxis"

Don't you start . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

An array of Gramsci's writing in my bookcase,unfortuntely next to Charlie Brown books which always seem to take priority.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hindle A - crueler than a real green dress
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]tajhs_FdT98[/youtube]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'd be rich
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The different positions of urban and rural-type intellectuals

Here's the World War 1 flying ace zooming through the air in his sopwith camel.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinyclanger2 wrote:As Paul Calf would say: Bloody Styoodents.
As Paul Calf said
“Is it a crime to want to live in a world of peace and harmony? Is it a crime to live in a world of love? Is it a crime to hit a student across the back of the head with a snooker ball in a sock?”
I still believe in a town called Hope