Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th July 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th July 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://mrfrankzola.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP’s Behaviour ‘Science’ (BS) ‘Growth Mindset’ resolutely trashed by academics
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:So the task is to show that Brexit is the economy without being accused of being Project Fear.
Which brings us on to Paul's thing about a positive future Europe.
and I think that is one thing we can agree on

The issue has been for the last few years is that the neoliberal economic model has been ascendant in the EU.....and so the desire for the Union to actually look at a more 'social' Europe has been missing....as I say the Single Market is not necessarily a model I would naturally support but am perfectly aware of its importance when it comes to how our economy has developed.

European leaders have been more concerned about pandering to populists from the Right and ignoring those from the Left rather than looking at how to make things work for the whole population in an uncertain world
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The extent of rail overcrowding in Cardiff is revealed
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... exit-uk-eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Councils ask Treasury to replace lost EU regeneration funds post-Brexit
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

just to add to my last post.....if, by some means, we can stay in the EU I want to see more than just something that is defined in terms of the Single Market and the Custom's Union and all the baggage that goes with that

I want to see more focus on the things that the EU brings... a sense of international community and cooperation in dealing with the really big threats in the future...the rise of China and its capitalist managed economy, potential automation, the loss of the US as the world power and, of course, Climate Change

I want to see the EU not just being the world's biggest trading block but also take a lead in the big matters of the world - I do not see that at the moment. Outside the trading aspects there is limited indication of punching above its weight on the world stage

This is what frustrates me personally....the EU is not about the common market (although it is important) it should be about much more

There is so much potential but it is unrealised at the moment and it is beholden on us to make that case......not easily done though - the British don't seem to like international cooperation in reality - an island nation!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@howsillyofme1

It's the loss of that potential that so grieves me. What an excellent foundation we will be shunning!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:@howsillyofme1

It's the loss of that potential that so grieves me. What an excellent foundation we will be shunning!

PF, indeed it is and I totally agree - that is why I so much want to remain as the EU is the only international organisation that can bring positive leadership - something it has not managed to do now....and to be absolutely honest it may find it easier to do without us sniping from the sidelines

Seeing it just as an economic community is not enough for me, although the critical importance to our economic well-being is clear - although I think the current situation has highlighted just how unbalanced and unsubstantial our national economic model is
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Reposting this link but with brief anotation. (EU white paper, Reflections on the future of Europe.)
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/white-p ... os-eu27_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social dimension
how to sustain our standards of living, create more and better jobs, equip people with the right skills and create more unity within our society, in light of tomorrow's society and world of work.

Harnessing globalisation
On the external front, the paper focuses on the need to shape a truly sustainable global order, based on shared rules and a common agenda. The EU has always stood for a strong and effective 'multilateral' global rulebook and should continue to develop it in a way that addresses new challenges and ensures effective enforcement. For example, the EU could push for new rules to create a level-playing field by addressing harmful and unfair behaviour like tax evasion, government subsidies or social dumping. Effective trade defence instruments and a multilateral investment court could also help the EU act decisively against countries or companies that engage in unfair practices.

On the domestic front, the paper suggests tools to protect and empower citizens through robust social policies and providing the necessary education and training support throughout their lives. Progressive tax policies, investing in innovation and strong welfare policies could all help redistribute wealth more fairly. Meanwhile, use of EU structural funds to assist vulnerable regions and the EU Globalisation Adjustment Fund to help displaced workers find another job can help mitigate negative impacts.

Deepening the economic and monetary union
• Completing a genuine Financial Union
• Achieving a more integrated Economic and Fiscal Union
• Anchoring democratic accountability and strengthening euro area institutions

Future of European Defence
EU countries will be in the driving seat, defining the level of ambition with the support of the EU institutions. Looking to the future, they must now decide the path they want to take and speed they want to go at to protect Europe's citizens.

Future of EU Finances
The EU budget faces a tough challenge to fund more with less. The EU is expected to play a bigger role in new policy areas like migration, internal and external security or defence. And Europe should also preserve its leading role on the global stage, as a major humanitarian and development aid donor and as a leader of the fight against climate change. That must be achieved with an EU budget that will only get smaller following the departure of the United Kingdom.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/ ... or-stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s time to send the feudal leasehold system crashing
Patrick Collinson
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40763577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

University finances face £17.5bn pensions squeeze
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The gall of these people is unbelievable !!

Otto English‏ @Otto_English 12h12 hours ago
Brexiteer James Dyson biggest private recipient of EU farming payments in the UK doesn't want farming subsidies cut

Brexiter Dyson warns government not to cut farm subsidies

http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/brexiteer-dys ... sidies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:The gall of these people is unbelievable !!

Otto English‏ @Otto_English 12h12 hours ago
Brexiteer James Dyson biggest private recipient of EU farming payments in the UK doesn't want farming subsidies cut

Brexiter Dyson warns government not to cut farm subsidies

http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/brexiteer-dys ... sidies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yet more "easy" trade deals.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Alt-right commentator claims Romans weren't ethnically diverse, gets owned by actual historian

https://www.indy100.com/article/histori ... paign=i100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Toby Young‏
How would Remainers react if prominent Leavers were now constantly demanding a second referendum?

#Nearly Legal‏ 
You really can't plumb the depths of Toby Young's self-owning stupidity.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mark Steel

Thank God the Tories have never said anything about immigration and Brexit before or the news this week could've made them look really stupid
The Government says we can’t know the impact of ‘taking control of our borders’ until the report comes out, which must be why no one in the Conservative Party has said anything much about immigration over the last few years

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/amb ... 63481.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/ ... or-stories

It’s time to send the feudal leasehold system crashing
Patrick Collinson
Given SpinningHugo's objections to my referring to leasehold as "antiquated" and "feudal", I have to confess to a certain smug delight in the following:

Meanwhile, in Scotland I love the fact legislation rejecting leasehold doesn’t mince its words – it’s called the Abolition of Feudal Tenure (Scotland) Act 2000.

:D
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Want Some Salt With Your Plastic? — Study: 17 of 17 Sea Salt Brands Littered With Petrochemicals

http://www.environews.tv/world-news/wan ... chemicals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:#Toby Young‏
How would Remainers react if prominent Leavers were now constantly demanding a second referendum?

#Nearly Legal‏ 
'kin' hell. And yet there are people on the planet who listen to his views on education.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Has everyone else experienced the drop in temperature and lashing rain the last twenty-four hours or so? It's been intermittent, the rain and cold. West Midlands, me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's no way it's 60 degrees Fahrenheit right now
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:Has everyone else experienced the drop in temperature and lashing rain the last twenty-four hours or so? It's been intermittent, the rain and cold. West Midlands, me.
Same here
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Richard Burgon writes

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burgon is the shadow Lord Chancellor.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That's a parody.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I think I might have posted this a day or two ago as a link to his blog,worth a read anyway

Jay Rayner
Saving Britain’s food supply: a manifesto to keep food on the table
Brexit imperils the health of a nation whose food supply was already under threat from climate change and shifting global markets. Here, the Observer’s restaurant critic outlines how we might avert disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... jay-rayner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Never realised he is Clair Rayners son
Jay Rayner pays tribute to his mother Claire https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/ ... r-tributes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SpinningHugo wrote:Richard Burgon writes

Hugo, you do know that's a spoof, don't you ?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mike Stuchbery's not giving up.... another thread to Watson

‏Verified account @MikeStuchbery_ 55m55 minutes ago
More
Mike Stuchbery Retweeted Paul Joseph Watson
Jews followed the Norman Invasion & settled in major cities. They were routinely persecuted until they were expelled by Edward I in 1290.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

AngryAsWell wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Richard Burgon writes

Hugo, you do know that's a spoof, don't you ?
Ah, good to know - I've seen it cited a few times on social media recently.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:That's a parody.
Literally the first reply to the tweet gives it away.

Conformation bias?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This is what it is like to be 11 years old and homeless
'At Christmas time, I didn't want to be in this world'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 65461.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

refitman wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:That's a parody.
Literally the first reply to the tweet gives it away.

Conformation bias?
I'd be up for confirmation bias there, but I saw through it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Paddy Briggs‏
@PaddyBriggs
Follow

Outstanding by Matthew Parris. For him it's family gone off the rails. For me it's coping with the lunatics having taken over the asylum.

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The playground for big kids only
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-economy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ard-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Jimmy Buchan, business manager at the Scottish Seafood Association, which is likely to be affected by any shortage of EU workers, said some industries may need special dispensation if Brexit looked like it would cause a labour shortage.

“The ideal situation would be that they get to remain here,” said Buchan, who is supportive of Brexit because it will allow the fishing industry “to take control” of UK waters. “But look, we couldn’t have an open border. There comes a point in time where we run out of space, so there’ll have to be a controlled measure. So it’s how that controlled measure is implemented. If there is a clear need for a sector to have a free flow of people, then it should be granted, but on a case-by-case study of what the sector needs.”
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The UK can do all that while remaining in the EU, Jimmy Buchan
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:#Toby Young‏

#Nearly Legal‏ 
Toby Young‏Verified account
@toadmeister
Replying to @DAaronovitch
Can you find a story saying 122m Turks are heading our way? Posing a question in a headline is journalese for "this could happen".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Toby Young‏Verified account @toadmeister 7h
More
Not disputing that was scare tactic used by Leave, just pointing out current Remain scare tactics equally absurd.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA

Night night.

And (a bit late - I've just caught up) freezing cold and peeing down here. Not much intermittent about it, either. It's been like it for several days now.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... t-and.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The UK slowdown is a result of Brexit and austerity

Wren-Lewis
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]l5aZJBLAu1E[/youtube]
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yet in his press release when the figures were announced, Labour’s Chancellor in waiting John McDonnell mentioned the government’s austerity policy but not Brexit. This is surprising
It wasn't surprising. He said Brexit was a "great opportunity" and wrote of people opposing Brexit as being "on the side of corporate elites"

I'm more worried about McDonnell than Corbyn. I think a move to Shadow DWP or Health might be good.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Yet in his press release when the figures were announced, Labour’s Chancellor in waiting John McDonnell mentioned the government’s austerity policy but not Brexit. This is surprising
It wasn't surprising. He said Brexit was a "great opportunity" and wrote of people opposing Brexit as being "on the side of corporate elites"

I'm more worried about McDonnell than Corbyn. I think a move to Shadow DWP or Health might be good.

Yes - either would perhaps give him a different perspective.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ey-suburbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plot to 'bring down' plane foiled by counter-terrorism police in Sydney
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/1 ... _industry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Chlorinated chicken Brexit"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Analysis from economic consultancy Oxera says cost to UK of new customs checks and ensuing delays could amount to more than £1bn a year
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ard-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/j ... o-massacre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike Leigh Preparing for Peterloo
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

McDonnell is de facto leader and always has been under Corbyn.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Sun 30 Jul, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Interesting right wing claim with some truth

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/how ... ll-dumber/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neal Ascherson: ‘It doesn’t matter that there was a reason for ending their lives – I did it’
The Observer’s ex-foreign correspondent on his Eton scholarship, killing two mortally wounded men in battle, and publishing his first novel aged 84