Thursday 10th August 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 10th August 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... in-stop-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outsourcing is killing local democracy in Britain. Here’s how we can stop that
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Still enjoying himself and talking sense.
James Chapman‏
@jameschappers
James Chapman Retweeted Mick McKinderGentler
No - her appalling "citizens of world" rhetoric made EU citizens in UK like my wife feel profoundly distressed and unwelcome #notinmyname
And indeed anybody with remotely internationalist values.

But let's not kid ourselves May got an electoral knockback for it. She was zooming along while spouting this tripe.
Remind us all what media outlet "Chappers" used to work for??

And maybe your assessment is just a bit too pessimilstic. In the end, the culture war stuff galvanised at least as many opponents as supporters.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/ ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Peter Walker

big post-Grenfell news – residents of 242 flats in 4 blocks in SE London to be moved out after survey found buildings hugely unsafe

It's Ledbury estate by Old Kent Rd, built in late 60s using concrete panels, same as Ronan Point, where gas blast in 68 killed four people

After Ronan Point all such blocks with gas supplies were meant to have been reinforced. Southwark council only just found Ledbury wasn't.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -surveyors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Political uncertainty' blamed for slowdown in UK property market
Low stock numbers and tax changes are also hindering housing market, and prices will remain flat for next year, say surveyors
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Against some stiff competition, I think certain "uber" centrists totally losing their s*** over the fact Corbyn HELPED A WOMAN WITH A PRAM wins this year's Silly Season award :P
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.crisis.org.uk/about-us/late ... n-britain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Report Reveals Scale of Acute Homelessness in Britain
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... ers-mencap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled people may be liable for back pay of sleep-in care workers

Publicity generated by the row is triggering claims by workers employed directly as personal assistants (PAs) by some of the 65,000 disabled people in England who have personal budgets in the form of direct payments.

The row over six years of back pay has led to one man being warned he could face a bill of up to £45,000
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... ers-mencap
Well, yes. My nephew used to work shifts in a home for learning disabled people, I asked him the other day if he would be due some back pay, he thought he would, but couldn't see how they could afford to pay him?

They sacked him so he doesn't care about them, but obviously concerned about the potential effects on the poor people being looked after.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

gilsey wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... ers-mencap
Well, yes. My nephew used to work shifts in a home for learning disabled people, I asked him the other day if he would be due some back pay, he thought he would, but couldn't see how they could afford to pay him?

They sacked him so he doesn't care about them, but obviously concerned about the potential effects on the poor people being looked after.
As I understand it this is nothing to do with care homes but about people receiving direct payments in order to employ their own carers so they can live independently, in their own homes. I may be wrong, but this is what I read in the article. People who sleep over do so for a variety of reasons, usually they are PA's to people with profound disabilities and/or life-threatening conditions who need the assistance of someone else when neccessary. Some of these people are employed via care agencies, but this is not about care homes at all. It is about a tax mistake that no recipient of direct payments knew about but are now expected to pay retrospectively as directs payments is in fact a scheme whereby the recipient becomes effectively the employer and therefore liable for paying their care worker in the usual way.

it retrospectively is a tricky thing,Perhaps FTNs resident expert could say whether the personal budgets acruslly included enough to ensure such payments could be made. If they didn't then I wonder how the tax man can possibly collect these monies. For the simple reason that any large amounts deemed outstanding would have to be repaid from current personal budgets which are just enough to ensure adequate care is in place. Even if it wasn't the £40+ quoted several thousand is a fairly big chunk out of a personal budget that in future will also be liable for the higher wages of the sleepover carer.

It isn't as if the disabled 'employer' is actually running a 'business' capable of generating a profit. On the other hand the care worker deserves to be paid properly. The mistake was made by neither of these parties. This inherent flaw in the system has always been there, I was part of the consultation group for my city a number of years ago, and we identified it then. Otherwise it would be a fairly good scheme. The flaw is in making disabled people effectively a business rather than an employer. Anyone who has read this far ought to be able to see that it is no kind of business because it doesn't generate any of the money at ll. Still it is cheaper and kinder than the other option, fulltime in a care home with no autonomy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@seeingclearly

I have made several.attempts to give an opinion/comment but doing my repeated I am not completely happy with this/I am boring the arse off/putting people off thing.Added to the fact we did this.

But you have asked.

Yes.Specific to those utlising the direct payment scheme to employ p.a's directly.I raised this prior to judgement and could see it coming.

Specific to my area:-(Labour administration /historically at the vanguard of progressive thought)

We were one of the first to utilise,resource allocation was simple to see ie.per hour/purpose.I can't remember the sleep in/overnight rate allocation given which we used as a guide to pay rates but as an employer you have to allow for the costs of being one,this was taken into consideration adequately here even to the extent of stationary/postal costs.It allowed for a decent wage(more than I was getting as a home help per hour but roughly equivalent given I could get enhanced night/w/end rates).It was aimed at being equivalent.You weren't told what rate of pay to give but common practice and seeing what was allocated,the norm was set,indeed to start with people had to be reminded to allow for employer costs ie not give it all away before payroll/insurance etc.It was some time ago.If the on paper sleep in rate didn't comply in our case we would have been able to adjust the day rate,to keep within budget with no change for the p.a.in total.Holders are working to the auspices and resources of Councils,if the budget is no longer adequate for stated purposes subject to ruling it must be readjusted accordingly and clear advice given as to compliance and back pay if found to be due paid,not by holder,Councils/Government can argue as best way.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 11 Aug, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yeah as far as HMRC is concerned business,hence Cameron's letter of thanks for being part of the long term economic plan and my joke about making everybody do it and ".a million business set ups"

Would argue the following benefits-same person/people as opposed to pass the parcel,flexibility,choice,independence.Not for all,granted in the responsibility stakes.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 11 Aug, 2017 4:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I don't know about you lot but I'm thoroughly enjoying 2003 redux where this time not supporting Donald Trump means you love Kim Jong-un.

I mean it's not like that kind of bullshit led to any disastrous wars or anything, only this time it could go thermonuclear.

It's as if our species is entirely incapable of learning from mistakes that occured just a few years ago. I'm sure many of you were there at the time arguing against Bush and Blair, it all seems so quaint now with Trump.

Frank Drake's equation has a value which determines how likely an intelligent species is to survive its nuclear age. After surviving the Cold War I was mildly optimistic about our species chances. Now not so much.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-heathrow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled passengers 'forced to wait hours to disembark at Heathrow'
Civil Aviation Authority describes airport’s outsourced assistance services to more than a million travellers a year as poor