Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th August 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th August 2017

Post by HindleA »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I don't believe that Corbyn would support another Chavez as leader of the Opposition. Or have supported an EU referendum. Or supported another 80s Sinn Fein or had Hamas round. Or talked of getting out of NATO.

He's moved on and I have. If somebody wants to argue that stuff was right, I'll argue back and I'll comment if it's in the news. The public care about other things much more, and everyone can move forward.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Charlottesville and the reaction from Trump really does show the lie that "economic anxiety" is fuelling his support. Lots of white people, including far more with college degrees than expected before the election, have backed white nationalism. The black guy being president has made "Solid South" a runner in the Mid West too.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:SH voted for the Greens instead, a party with a not dissimilar worldview to Corbyn on much of this stuff.

But not on the EU, easily the most important issue, where they reject the position of Tory and Labour.

No party reflects each individual's views. Blind support for a party come what may, regardless of its leadership, is morally bankrupt. Several bad Green policies that I've expressly criticisyed.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Sun 13 Aug, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Hello.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim Montgomerie is, as usual, thick as fucking mince.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Montie did a runner from Twitter when asked to support his view that austerity was necessary too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:I condemn all those that say their the same.
i care a lot
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

If you're minded, a rail expert has an extremely long Twitter row with Andrew Gilligan on HS2. Gilligan is appalling as ever.

Per Tim Fenton, Gilligan has lost his old employers another chunk of libel money too.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/20 ... tal-income" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Half of landlords in one London borough fail to declare rental income
Newham council says HMRC maybe losing £200m a year in London alone after finding half of its 27,000 landlords failed to register for self-assessment
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Dearie me...

Brendan O'Neill
13 hrs ·
Over the past year, 112 people in Europe were slaughtered by Islamo-fascists using cars or trucks as weapons. The left looked at its shoes. Today one person was killed in what seems to have been an awful car attack in Charlottesville, presumably by a sympathiser with the alt-right, and the left has declared the return of Nazism. Can we please, please have some consistency in our opposition to the mowing down of citizens by hateful, illiberal ideologues?
Yeah because it's not like there were Nazi salutes or flags or slogans there right?

:toss:

Scratch a self-styled "libertarian" and you'll find a complete tosser underneath...there were a few of them around last night posting fake news about the identity of the car driver and trying to blame the other side.

And Julian Assange? Words fail...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There's also the difference that the Islamo-fascists generally find it quite hard to get weapons. This lot are extremely well-armed.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Assange blames the Democrats "identity politics" (ie supporting civil rights) for the white nationalism, I see. Like only black people got health insurance from Obamacare, or something.

We could have been saved a lot of trouble if he hadn't been given bail.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

What a nasty racist scumbag Assange is. Black people vote Democrat because of "identity politics", eh? Not because the Republicans keep trying to stop them voting, and reckon that neo-Confederacy is just "Southern Pride". Lots of blacks used to vote Republican till the 60s. Wonder what happened then, eh?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Assange blames the Democrats "identity politics" (ie supporting civil rights) for the white nationalism, I see. Like only black people got health insurance from Obamacare, or something.

We could have been saved a lot of trouble if he hadn't been given bail.
He's using an 'identity politics' label as a pejorative
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Brexit: UK retirees rushing to settle in Europe, say financial advisers

One company says monthly inquiries to its website have doubled in a year amid fears moving to Europe will become more difficult (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... l-advisers
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.adl.org/education/resources ... rd-america" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Warning ought to come with that link
Yikes
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Charlottesville: man charged with murder was pictured at neo-Nazi rally
Pictures from earlier on day of clashes show James Fields with white supremacist group Vanguard America"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Zac Goldsmith‏Verified account
@ZacGoldsmith
Zac Goldsmith Retweeted Isabel Oakeshott
Exactly right. Brexit is a huge opportunity to boost standards. Need to make sure we do.
Steve Peers‏Verified account @StevePeers Aug 11
Nonsense. EU law on farm animal welfare sets "minimum standards" so UK could always go higher
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is good, in a way, v "Lexiters". (Sorry, Paul, that's the word Ben Chu uses and I can't think of a better one).

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jer ... 90421.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I wouldn't have bundled Jeremy Corbyn in particularly, because I don't think he's supporting Hard Brexit (as he is) because he's licking his lips at the prospect of Trabant factories in Sunderland. I think he just took a short term tactical position and is stuck with it. I appreciate that the short-term position has hurt Theresa May and that has much to be said for it, but there is unfinished business here. And all of us need to keep up pressure.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

From before Charlottesville, admittedly, but still appalling.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/sout ... abad3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
South Carolina governor candidate Catherine Templeton's 'proud of the Confederacy' remarks stir controversy
South Carolina have a popular black Republican senator, Tim Scott. Their last governor, Nikki Haley, is working for Trump but at least took a Confederate flag down.

They really don't need to be going backwards from these relatively positive things.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Some of us knew Assange was a wrong 'un from the start. Good to see more people seeing him for what he is.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

From the early 90s, apparently. But still. That's the Senate Majority Leader. Remember, that flag is just Southern Pride.

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Some of us knew Assange was a wrong 'un from the start. Good to see more people seeing him for what he is.
Yeah, I never liked him. You mean governments, sometimes say stuff to other governments that they're not saying in public, Julian? Christ, we could call that diplomacy or something.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Advance warning of a headache for the government. Rail fare rises (regulated ones anyway) are directly tied to inflation. Likely rise in January is 3.7%. Go under that, and there's a hole in the rail budget. What are they going to do?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:This is good, in a way, v "Lexiters". (Sorry, Paul, that's the word Ben Chu uses and I can't think of a better one).

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jer ... 90421.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I wouldn't have bundled Jeremy Corbyn in particularly, because I don't think he's supporting Hard Brexit (as he is) because he's licking his lips at the prospect of Trabant factories in Sunderland. I think he just took a short term tactical position and is stuck with it. I appreciate that the short-term position has hurt Theresa May and that has much to be said for it, but there is unfinished business here. And all of us need to keep up pressure.

The one thing Corbyn is not is a short term opportunist. He and all of his group have had the same view of the EU for decades. Unchanging and consistent.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Advance warning of a headache for the government. Rail fare rises (regulated ones anyway) are directly tied to inflation. Likely rise in January is 3.7%. Go under that, and there's a hole in the rail budget. What are they going to do?
put it on their tab
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:This is good, in a way, v "Lexiters". (Sorry, Paul, that's the word Ben Chu uses and I can't think of a better one).

The one thing Corbyn is not is a short term opportunist. He and all of his group have had the same view of the EU for decades. Unchanging and consistent.
Being Leader of the Opposition makes it much more difficult to hold dogmas. Even if you can magic away current Labour MPs and replace them with Chris Williamsons, there's still the unions (apart from the rail fools) and members. Even if you think in terms of Corbyn's base, it's very different to what it was.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/media ... ss-freedom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Publishing salacious material as public interest besmirches press freedom
Roy Greenslade
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

McMaster hilariously refusing to say he can work with Steve Bannon on CNN.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Incidentally, the suspect in Charlottesville isn't being charged with first degree murder. This is likely because Virginia requires pre-meditation to be proved, and this can be difficult.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/heal ... ocial-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mot ... 71f69a796c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Being Leader of the Opposition makes it much more difficult to hold dogmas. Even if you can magic away current Labour MPs and replace them with Chris Williamsons, there's still the unions (apart from the rail fools) and members. Even if you think in terms of Corbyn's base, it's very different to what it was.

No. Being Leader of the Opposition makes it much harder to *express* dogmas. Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne, Fisher, Murray and the rest think the same as they always did.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I don't think Fisher is an EU hater, in fairness to him. I know somebody who knows him fairly well.

Anyway, with this crowd round him, he still had to give way on NATO and nukes. I'm hoping he has to give way on Hard Brexit too.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tom London‏
@TomLondon6
Bannon is an avowed White Nationalist. Trump's fascist leanings crystal clear from the start.
YET May went & acted the simpering sycophant.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you, people
Goodnight
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... d-13472389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In a sickening insult a woman with dementia praised by David Cameron has had her benefits cut by Tories

Joy has worked hard to show people it is possible to enjoy life with dementia and help others
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Peter Smith

My Uber driver just told me he had a TV rentagob in his cab earlier. Glad when she got out. Now he's looking happy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-virginia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

America is hooked on the drug of white supremacy. We're paying for that today
Carol Anderson