Monday 21st August 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 21st August 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 21st August 2017

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

http://www.internationaldisabilityallia ... 18-session" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tbinternet.ohchr.org/_layouts/tr ... 58&Lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

Bit quiet on the politics front, isn't it?

Whitby was warm and sunny all week, it didn't rain on us once, which wasn't what I was expecting from Yorkshire, I have to say! We caught the purple heather up on the moors in full bloom and even braved the North Sea for a paddle with the kids.

It was nice to get away from Tory Brexit bullshit for a bit. Back home to drizzle, though. Oh well. I hope everyone's well and Mrs RogerOThornhill is getting on OK with her diagnosis and treatment.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The myth that Westminster’s voting system is ‘strong and stable’ has been bust for good
https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/the ... -for-good/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the third time in a row, Westminster’s voting system failed to do what it says on the tin – produce a big government majority.

Today the Electoral Reform Society launch our report on June’s vote: ‘The 2017 General Election: Volatile Voting, Random Results’.

It shows the General Election saw the second highest level of electoral volatility – the movement of votes between parties – since 1931. People are switching sides and shopping around at astonishing levels.

But millions of those people’s votes are being thrown on the electoral scrapheap. 68% of votes had no impact on the result. That’s 22 million votes going to waste.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:Morning.

Whitby was warm and sunny all week, it didn't rain on us once, which wasn't what I was expecting from Yorkshire, I have to say! We caught the purple heather up on the moors in full bloom and even braved the North Sea for a paddle with the kids.

It was nice to get away from Tory Brexit bullshit for a bit. Back home to drizzle, though. Oh well. I hope everyone's well and Mrs RogerOThornhill is getting on OK with her diagnosis and treatment.

Hello! Nice to see you back. I hope you're rested and recharged.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/d ... 020579.amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disability campaigners from Britain tell the United Nations the Government has betrayed people in the UK

Activists will give evidence to a committee sitting in Geneva
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I didn't realise you'd gone to Whitby, you picked a good time for it, driest weather we've had for about 6 weeks. Did you go to Hadley's, that's our favoured fish & chip spot.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:

I didn't realise you'd gone to Whitby, you picked a good time for it, driest weather we've had for about 6 weeks. Did you go to Hadley's, that's our favoured fish & chip spot.
I did wonder if the weather was a bit unusually sunny, on account of so many people out and about! We got our fish and chips from Quayside, which got thumbs up all round, though we don't really get good fish and chips here in Somerset (too far from the sea) so we're easily impressed.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:

Hello! Nice to see you back. I hope you're rested and recharged.
I am, thanks. Amazing the difference a bit of sunshine can make. And no cooking for a week, bliss!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Welcome back! I wish I'd something more clever to write you this morning. Please have some toast with honey. It's the best I can do.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ah. I'll make additional rounds for all company this morning.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: I did wonder if the weather was a bit unusually sunny, on account of so many people out and about!
No, it's always like that through the summer holidays, honestly.
Regatta this week, it's even busier.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Yesterday evening's public transportation discussion is good and worth reading if you have time
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

On a different topic entirely, I'm taking the liberty of posting a link to a RogerOThornhill post from last night.
It's a twitter short video briefly describing research analysis of when US Confederate monuments were raised.
I'd no idea about this. I can't recommend it enough.

viewtopic.php?p=171581#p171581

https://twitter.com/mic/status/898941499550736384
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That is often (though not always) the case in mid-August tbf.

Says it all that the main issue for too many at the moment appears to be a bell's bongs :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Says it all that the main issue for too many at the moment appears to be a bell's bongs :D
That, and how much Labour antisemitism there is.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I did wonder if the weather was a bit unusually sunny, on account of so many people out and about!
No, it's always like that through the summer holidays, honestly.
Regatta this week, it's even busier.
I had no idea Whitby was such a tourist hotspot. I can see why, though. Definitely worth the 6 hour trip.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

The Big Ben thing is so symptomatic of this government. No forward planning, no imagination. You could have a lot of fun with it, putting up a replica somewhere with recorded bongs. A Big Ben app for a portable experience. Mini Big Bens scattered round London with a trail to follow.

But instead they stand around gloomily moaning and doing bugger all. Utterly useless.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Hi.

I can't dismiss Big Ben as mere silly season frivolity I'm afraid. Everything about it is symbolic of a country that's totally lost its way. I find it enraging.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Any amount is too much. But the usual suspects only want to weaponise it for their own cynical purposes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/posi ... gotiations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... tion-paper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... tion-paper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:Hi.

I can't dismiss Big Ben as mere silly season frivolity I'm afraid. Everything about it is symbolic of a country that's totally lost its way. I find it enraging.
More like how the right wing media are losing their way in some respects.

It is indeed bad that we have a PM obeying Dacre's every passing whim. But this too will pass.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

There have been several articles about the imminent repairs to Big Ben over the last couple of years, all saying the repairs could take several months.

It's only now that repairs are about to start that several years are being referred to.

It does seem quite rum. Either the government misled the press by accident or on purpose. It's not like the person in charge of the project suddenly discovered a couple of days ago it would take 4 years rather than 4 months. They must have known, so why is it a "surprise"?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... rtbreaking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Simon Wren-Lewis is right here. Hard Brexit damage was forecast to be long term. If Labour goes with it, it'll inherit the damage and it'll get blamed on its "far left agenda".

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... ption.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't underestimate the difficulty in turning this around, but it needs to happen.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

A total eclipse is to take place today in the US. The "Tweets" should be entertaining.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"I’ve talked to people at the BBC, including their economics editor, about why they cannot apply the BBC Trust’s recommendations on science coverage to economics. (The Trust’s conclusion, in summary, is that in controversial areas the BBC should go with the overwhelming scientific consensus. In other words recognise scientific knowledge, and not treat it as just an opinion.) I think a summary of their response to my question is that economics should not be regarded as a science: there is no economic knowledge, just opinions. What that attitude means in practice is that the public do not hear from the many experts in international trade we have in the UK (and there are many), but instead they hear from Patrick Minford."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... ent-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation
Northern Ireland (NI) transfer of rail operator penalising: changes to regulation guidance and economic enforcement policy
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Policy paper
Functional review of bodies providing expert advice to government
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/bu ... sabilities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.change.org/p/google-maps-cr ... dly-routes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/dc ... ents-51987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DCLG considering allowing shared ownership for RTB replacements

"Virtually all the homes sold under the Right to Buy are social rent properties, and the policy move would raise fears over the further depletion of social rented stock.

Figures released by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) last month revealed council homes are being sold off nearly three times faster than they are being replaced.

Since the 1980s when the policy was introduced, more than 1.5 million council homes have been sold under the Right to Buy. Councils were first allowed to spend receipts on replacements in 2012, and have since sold more than 54,000 homes and started just under 11,000 replacements.

In May, Inside Housing revealed only 48% of these replacements were social rent, with the remainder affordable rent – up to 80% of market rates."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PorFavor wrote:A total eclipse is to take place today in the US. The "Tweets" should be entertaining.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/scie ... lipse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

citizenJA has successfully washed her hair
alert the media
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]myyZyIMEZrY[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Reminds me I still have deep cherry hair colouring to use.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Reminds me I still have deep cherry hair colouring to use.

What's holding you back?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ce#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guidance
Budget representations: guidance
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@PF cowardice.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... igh-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The schools adjudicator's admission objection decision about Sacred Heart Catholic High School.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:"I’ve talked to people at the BBC, including their economics editor, about why they cannot apply the BBC Trust’s recommendations on science coverage to economics. (The Trust’s conclusion, in summary, is that in controversial areas the BBC should go with the overwhelming scientific consensus. In other words recognise scientific knowledge, and not treat it as just an opinion.) I think a summary of their response to my question is that economics should not be regarded as a science: there is no economic knowledge, just opinions. What that attitude means in practice is that the public do not hear from the many experts in international trade we have in the UK (and there are many), but instead they hear from Patrick Minford."
The way the BBC treated that "story" was pretty scandalous.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... e-families" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/inflatio ... -basic-fam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
HindleA wrote:"I’ve talked to people at the BBC, including their economics editor, about why they cannot apply the BBC Trust’s recommendations on science coverage to economics. (The Trust’s conclusion, in summary, is that in controversial areas the BBC should go with the overwhelming scientific consensus. In other words recognise scientific knowledge, and not treat it as just an opinion.) I think a summary of their response to my question is that economics should not be regarded as a science: there is no economic knowledge, just opinions. What that attitude means in practice is that the public do not hear from the many experts in international trade we have in the UK (and there are many), but instead they hear from Patrick Minford."
Treated in the sense of covered it at all?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Anyone know anything about this James Chapman? His twitter presence has gone a bit off the wall. Fisticuffs among once Tory friends?:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... itter-lazy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Davis' ex-aide claims Brexit Sec is lazy & only works three-day week in bizarre rant

DAVID Davis is lazy and only works a three-day week, the Brexit Secretary's former chief of staff has claimed.
Sorry for the Express link, but it is gossip, after all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Treated in the sense of covered it at all?
Well, that is certainly one view ;)

But its a common failing at the BBC now, and I don't think its even deliberate bias much of the time.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:Anyone know anything about this James Chapman? His twitter presence has gone a bit off the wall. Fisticuffs among once Tory friends?:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... itter-lazy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Davis' ex-aide claims Brexit Sec is lazy & only works three-day week in bizarre rant

DAVID Davis is lazy and only works a three-day week, the Brexit Secretary's former chief of staff has claimed.
Sorry for the Express link, but it is gossip, after all.
I seem to remember, vaguely, that when the Davids Cameron and Davis leadership contest was going on there was quite a lot of muttering about David Davis's "laziness".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Have to admit, that was brilliant trolling from Stephen Pound MP today :lol:

(what, you mean he's SERIOUS??!!??)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Simon Wren-Lewis is right here. Hard Brexit damage was forecast to be long term. If Labour goes with it, it'll inherit the damage and it'll get blamed on its "far left agenda".

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... ption.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't underestimate the difficulty in turning this around, but it needs to happen.
The Campaign group in control of the party don't want to turn it around.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/fionarutherfor ... dqG1z6b6jK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;