Friday 18th August 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday 18th August 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -thinktank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... ugust-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://iea.org.uk/publications/a-trade ... d-britain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 18th August 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... s-district" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

five suspects killed in Cambrils in second terror attack – latest updates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40968438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trump scraps infrastructure council plan

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ontroversy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... e-reaction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How rightwing writers covered Trump's reaction to Charlottesville
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thought for the Day

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back.Rev.C.Brown.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -thinktank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although removing tariffs could result in job losses for the 8% of British workers in protected sectors, such as farming, the IEA said new roles could be created to offset the losses.
what sort of new roles do they have in mind?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Horrible things happening in Spain. I simply cannot fathom out what must be going through the mind of someone that gets in a vehicle and drives into a crowd of people in order to kill and maim innocent people. There is no reason in the world that is justification for that.

Anyway, off to the library today. Will check in later.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Hello, anyone there?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

'Sick joke' to locate Redcar steelworks job in London, says Labour

MPs say role, which includes ‘occasional trips’ to Tees Valley, undermines government’s devolution pledge
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... oke-labour
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Horrible things happening in Spain. I simply cannot fathom out what must be going through the mind of someone that gets in a vehicle and drives into a crowd of people in order to kill and maim innocent people. There is no reason in the world that is justification for that.

Anyway, off to the library today. Will check in later.
One cheering thought is that ISIS is on the verge of being militarily defeated. This is an instance where "draining the swamp" might really help.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do fuck off, Newsnight.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:

Do fuck off, Newsnight.
By all accounts, he lived down to expectations.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Hello, anyone there?
Here!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've not done more than look briefly at the latest horror in Spain.
I'm not suggesting the following with any levity, I'm serious.
I've been thinking about it since using motor vehicles became a weapon used for terrorism.

Get private motor vehicles off the road. Provide all people with a comprehensive, affordable (free, it'll pay for itself in reduced road fatalities, less pollution, less stress, greater enjoyment of public thoroughfares leading to less rage overall), reliable, safe, frequent, easy-to-use, global, public transportation system.

Please know I'm not about punitive confiscation of equipment currently providing many people with the only thing keeping them independent, able to live on their own (disabled people, for example).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've been told it'll never happen, radical transformation of transportation infrastructure like I've described. It doesn't matter. I'll continue asking for better public transportation. Any improvement on what we've got is victory.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:I've not done more than look briefly at the latest horror in Spain.
I'm not suggesting the following with any levity, I'm serious.
I've been thinking about it since using motor vehicles became a weapon used for terrorism.

Get private motor vehicles off the road. Provide all people with a comprehensive, affordable (free, it'll pay for itself in reduced road fatalities, less pollution, less stress, greater enjoyment of public thoroughfares leading to less rage overall), reliable, safe, frequent, easy-to-use, global, public transportation system.

Please know I'm not about punitive confiscation of equipment currently providing many people with the only thing keeping them independent, able to live on their own (disabled people, for example).
Ha! Read that over and noticed an implication I'd advocate confiscating everyone else's!
No, getting punitive with the population over motor vehicles isn't wise.
People need to feel empowered, not threatened.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Former California Republican governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm very fond and respect California Democrat governor Brown
Schwarzenegger, not so much

I'm pleased with Schwarzenegger's video linked above
Sent to me from a dear friend here in the UK
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I thought I'd picked this up here but it seems not. Richard Murphy.
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017 ... s-ability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are nowhere near these systems in so many areas it’s just ludicrous to think we can exit the EU in April 2019.

But I think it may be worse than that. After forty years of being in the EU I think we may find that the demand of creating independently what was previously possible only because it was shared may be insurmountable, as well as being beyond the capacity of our economy because the costs will be so great.
btl is this comment, my bold:
I quite agree with your stance. It is important not to forget that no one expected us to vote for BREXIT so there was no planning for that eventuality at all – especially in a culture of austerity because in order to do BREXIT properly you are also going to have to invest in the resources to do it! With government machinery cut down to basics I just do not see it happening (unless of course the process is essentially privatised – a big worry).

Upon your recommendation I am reading ‘Democracy in Chains’ and in that book there is revealed some sort of plan to usurp democracy in the US – speaking objectively here now – the aims and objectives have been carefully thought through. This is the only good, admirable thing about the whole exercise – that Buchanan and others knew what they wanted to do and how they were going to go about it.

But here in the UK we have BREXIT which comes across as a farce that would be comical if it were not for the fact that so many people are going to be hurt by it.

The only way to deal with a malfunctioning political system is to change that political system. We have been laid low and made a laughing stock by the Tory party who have allowed a bar room brawl about the EU to spill over into our communities. And the FPTP system is the enabler of that.

So all progressives everywhere must think about supporting moves for PR in my view. A ground up demand for a more inclusive democracy is the only way forward to stop a bunch of privileged fools who think that they are socially superior to us from ruling over us as badly as this.

Think about it for a moment: we have a bunch of Neo-libs in Government (and Parliament for that matter) ………who actually do not believe or like the idea of there being a State (but worship established wealth). Is it any wonder they do things so badly? Never mind taking control back from the EU – we need to start that process with many of our mainstream politicians first. Proportional Representation maybe the remedy. We should go for it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:
'Sick joke' to locate Redcar steelworks job in London, says Labour

MPs say role, which includes ‘occasional trips’ to Tees Valley, undermines government’s devolution pledge
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... oke-labour
The money is a joke for a person based in London, as well. For £58k you'd get a much better calibre of person based on Teesside.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

overall message is good

one specific analogy not so much
human beings experience anger and fear, those feelings aren't pathological malignancies to be removed
bigger, louder, stronger...hmmmm

liked the part about living in a country allowing individuals freedom to say horrible things
he reminds me of California and the people I knew there

you're free to say horrible things
okay, you've said your horrible things
it's totally rude
dreadful
work on anger management
you're blaming wrong targets
those words and flags are frightening others
it's anti-social
it won't get you or anyone else to a better place
having freedom is powerful
use power for good
be nice
have some ice cream
share it with everyone

Schwarzenegger and I disagree on economic policy, wealth distribution and political party affiliation
I don't think it's efficient or fair relying on charities dispensing largesse from donors
Republicans got one hell of a US president
The US Republican party is responsible for that
What in the world were you thinking?

The bobble-head Trump was sort of fun
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@gilsey
wretched disaster due to inadvertent carelessness and not carefully thought-out evil plotting has advantages
persuading the inadvertent careless ones responsible for disaster to fix it more likely to happen
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-g ... -completed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK government’s sale of Green Investment Bank completed

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ince-cable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Frances Coppola

IEA paper: if no trade deal with EU, Brexit Britain should continue to trade with the EU on the same tariff-free basis as it currently does.
It can't do this. If no trade deal with the EU, Brexit Britain will export to the EU on the EU's WTO MFN basis - which is not tariff free.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:#Frances Coppola

IEA paper: if no trade deal with EU, Brexit Britain should continue to trade with the EU on the same tariff-free basis as it currently does.
It can't do this. If no trade deal with the EU, Brexit Britain will export to the EU on the EU's WTO MFN basis - which is not tariff free.
oh dear
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tarquin being treated for shock,over sudden thunderstorm/lightening episode,fell over.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

gilsey wrote:Lots of good stuff including this quote...

So all progressives everywhere must think about supporting moves for PR in my view. A ground up demand for a more inclusive democracy is the only way forward to stop a bunch of privileged fools who think that they are socially superior to us from ruling over us as badly as this.
If I was feeling mischievous I would mention the will of the people and not being able to ignore a referendum result.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not sure the half bottle of whisky "for me nerves",helping in maintaining upright position.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh dear, it seems that certain centrists aren't happy with being labelled centrists now - DESPITE CLAIMING THE LABEL FOR THEMSELVES JUST MONTHS AGO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Tarquin being treated for shock,over sudden thunderstorm/lightening episode,fell over.
Has he regained consciousness?
I'd have responded sooner but have web browser add-ons difficulties
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Oh dear, it seems that certain centrists aren't happy with being labelled centrists now - DESPITE CLAIMING THE LABEL FOR THEMSELVES JUST MONTHS AGO.
I am not now nor have I ever been a centrist
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Oh dear, it seems that certain centrists aren't happy with being labelled centrists now - DESPITE CLAIMING THE LABEL FOR THEMSELVES JUST MONTHS AGO.
Jolyon Maugham's not happy with it. Feels it's being used for all sorts of people who don't support Corbyn.

In other news, it seems Steve Bannon is out.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Jolyon Maugham's not happy with it. Feels it's being used for all sorts of people who don't support Corbyn.

In other news, it seems Steve Bannon is out.
Ah Diddums!

I wonder how he would feel being called a 'cultist' and 'extreme left' like some of us have

'Centrist' is a bit mild for some of them in my view - and they seemed to like the name a few months ago.....perhaps they prefer 'Democrats'

Is this the best they can come up with?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Some people use it that way, of course - every political label under the sun can be, and has been, applied indiscriminately.

(not least wrt to Corbyn and his supporters)

The real point is that people of Maugham's persuasion don't like being categorised at all, seeing themselves as "above politics" and just espousing unchallengable "common sense".

Which is, of course, itself a political position with real ideological consequences.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

A not insubstantial of people who are 'Centrist' are pretty extreme economic neoliberals who believe in the power of the free market to make everything better - not as extreme as the IEA or Minford but they are proponents of trickle down and that the private sector is the answer to all our problems

Historically those described as extreme left now are pretty mainstream left in historical terms

So perhaps Centrists is wrong because they aren't!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Maugham gets on well with at least some prominent Corbyn supporters, like Abi Wilkinson and Matt Zarb-Cousing, and has defended them from the sort of bonehead Labour right types that I think "centrist" is better applied to. Owen Jones for one seemed to have them in mind in that last article talking about how they ran out of ideas etc. You certainly can't say that of Maugham. He's full of ideas on tax alone. He's also strongly against the pensions triple lock and of course very anti-Brexit.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I only wish more of these "centrists" were market obsessives. That would at least get us out of Hard Brexit. They're nationalists, which is much worse.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Maugham gets on well with at least some prominent Corbyn supporters, like Abi Wilkinson and Matt Zarb-Cousing, and has defended them from the sort of bonehead Labour right types that I think "centrist" is better applied to. Owen Jones for one seemed to have them in mind in that last article talking about how they ran out of ideas etc. You certainly can't say that of Maugham. He's full of ideas on tax alone. He's also strongly against the pensions triple lock and of course very anti-Brexit.
I have no real problem with him as a commentator but he comes across as a bit too precious here - I have been called much worse on here than a 'Centrist' for my views - so I think he should focus on something a bit more useful than this

They are also partial to 'Moderates' too - I see many of them as neither.

When it comes to Brexit he is an extremist Remainer - not saying that is a wrong position to have but some people use it to ignore addressing some the reasons for the 'Leave' vote
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I only wish more of these "centrists" were market obsessives. That would at least get us out of Hard Brexit. They're nationalists, which is much worse.
Has the market obsessiveness not played a part in the reasons for people voting 'Leave' and not addressing that may be an error

I don't know how many Leave voters you have managed to convert but I can tell you that my own experience in engaging with members of my family with this have no truck with the market benefits argument - they have been shat on by austerity and are not prepared to listen to any technical arguments about membership of the Single Market

I have more success in focusing on the neoliberal economic experiment that went wrong in 2008 and how that can be lain at the door very much of the uK Government - although the EU is not completely blameless with their odd currency union

All anecdotal I know but that is my experience....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I certainly appreciate the leadership's delicate position with Brexit.

The backbench "centrists" I have in mind, people like Caroline Flint, don't have that sort of problem. They can be fronting up to their constituents about the problems.

At the moment, Hard Brexit is our biggest problem, and it's a permanent hit.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Bannon apparently going back to Breitbart. One of their senior clowns has promised WAR on the administration.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I understand what you are saying but the arguments don't seem to be cutting through, and whether you like it or not the people who voted Leave have to change their views in order for us to stop this shambolic lurch to disaster

The lack of anything meaningful to discuss barely a year before we will start having to put concrete proposals in from of legislatures is nothing short of astounding but there are many Remainers who are concentrating on the technical possibilities and obsessing over the latest murmurings from Labour rather than highlighting the lack of progress, the appalling attempts at 'position papers' by the people who are actually doing the negotiating

As I have said this week, the contradictions of Brexit are going to become apparent - with all the Phase 1 subjects being very difficult to see being resolved amicably

Let the negotiations move on and then we may see a change in people's opinions - banging on about the SM and CU is just not cutting though from what I see
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

oh and I am still convinced the desire for a 'same as' border in Ireland is pretty much undeliverable
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... maging-nhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stephen Hawking blames Tory politicians for damaging NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... en-hawking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The political decisions include underfunding and cuts, privatising services, the public sector pay cap, the new contract imposed on the junior doctors and removal of the student nurses’ bursary.

“Failures in the system of privatised social care for disabled and elderly people has also placed additional burden on the NHS.”

https://www.rsm.ac.uk/talknhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When politicians and private healthcare industry lobbyists claim that we cannot afford the NHS, this is the exact inversion of the truth. We cannot afford not to have the NHS”, he will declare.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 18 Aug, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nigel Farage‏Verified account
@Nigel_Farage
Very sorry to see my friend Steve Bannon go. His political brain will be hard to replace.
Katherine Ryan‏Verified account @Kathbum 35m
Replying to @Nigel_Farage
I can totally appreciate how Steve Bannon seems smart to you. This must be a confusing time, hun.
:D :D :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Steve Baker MP‏Verified account
@SteveBakerHW
Congratulations @iealondon on great coverage for your trade report
Don't worry, he's only the Brexit Minister.

It's a long way till the next election (or is it?) but might be worth a small wager on him losing his seat. Wycombe voted Remain and has a growing ethnic minority population.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/comme ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on the Barcelona van attack
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/f ... ms-of-jim/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;