FlyTheNest

A haven
It is currently Tue 21 Nov, 2017 5:04 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 5:57 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 8883
Has thanked: 16980 times
Been thanked: 15885 times
Good morfternoon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 6:10 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 8883
Has thanked: 16980 times
Been thanked: 15885 times
Quote:
Trump paints himself as the real victim of Charlottesville in angry speech

Speaking at a rally in Phoenix, president attempts to counter widespread, bipartisan condemnation of his response to far-right violence (Guardian)


https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/23/donald-trump-arizona-rally-phoenix


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 8:24 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/ ... ts-persons

Disability rights in the UK: updated submission to the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

"Disabled people have won hard fought battles over recent decades to ensure that they can live independently to exercise choice and control over their support.Evidence of regression must be confronted and urgently addressed"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/d ... mg00000004


http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/24252

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news ... e-sessions


http://webtv.un.org/live-now/watch/18th ... 6901922001


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 9:06 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 6445
Has thanked: 3915 times
Been thanked: 14882 times
Morning all. All being well I should be able to go and bring 'er indoors home later. Procedure went off well by the sound of it - surgery planned for 2 weeks time, and then chemo.

NHS has 350 fewer family doctors than two years ago despite promises of 2,000 more by 2020

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/nhs-350-fewer-family-doctors-11032794#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Quote:
The cash-starved NHS has been stripped of 350 family doctors in just two years, shock figures revealed today.

Numbers have plummeted since 2015 despite a Tory pledge for 5,000 more GPs by 2020.

Latest workforce stats show there were 34,242 full-time equivalent general medical practitioners in June – a drop from 34,592 in September 2015 when records started.


Of course, the pledge could still be achieved...but I'm not sure it's that great a start if numbers are reducing already.

_________________
FTN's supplier of tedious, pedantic education policy waffle; and Pedant-in-Chief generally.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 9:18 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
Thanks for update,glad things appear to be "moving".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 9:50 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
GERS

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2017/08/7201


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:11 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 6437
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 14355 times
PorFavor wrote:
Quote:
Trump paints himself as the real victim of Charlottesville in angry speech

Speaking at a rally in Phoenix, president attempts to counter widespread, bipartisan condemnation of his response to far-right violence (Guardian)


https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/23/donald-trump-arizona-rally-phoenix


Yes, he's the real victim. Incredible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:14 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... properties


Going underground: number of Britons digging basements soars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:15 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:26 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... y-politics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:38 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... _2018.html


Trump Said Obamacare Would Collapse on Its Own. It Looks Like He Was Wrong


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:38 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 6437
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 14355 times
Not surprising that Neil is taking it a bit easier given his age. I admit I've always had a soft spot for him despite his obvious political leanings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:47 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 1:40 pm
Posts: 4055
Has thanked: 9260 times
Been thanked: 10254 times
Morning.

I've been trying to find a comprehensive article on the mortgage interest benefit changes that HindleA has been referring to. I probably missed previous links and have been trying to catch up with the details. The best one I've found so far is from the 'Lincolnshire Times'. An interesting juxtaposition is presented where one of the most vocal critics of Brexit, George Osborne, is the very person who was most responsible for ensuring the poorest no longer have a safety net to protect them from the negative economic consequences of it.

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/ ... ore-307058
Quote:
Government axes benefit claimed by more than 100,000 people - how will it affect you?
Beware changes to Support For Mortgage Interest

_________________
“Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:10 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 8883
Has thanked: 16980 times
Been thanked: 15885 times
AnatolyKasparov references this story, above -

Quote:
Andrew Neil steps down as Sunday Politics host

Sarah Smith will take hotseat when BBC programme returns from summer break in mid-September


https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/aug/23/andrew-neil-steps-down-as-sunday-politics-host


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:18 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
Good-afternoon, everyone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:19 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 6437
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 14355 times
To anybody who still might not know, Sarah Smith is the eldest daughter of John (of blessed memory)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
It is what you get when you play the comparative "fairness" game,too late to be applied to me (us),a relative small amount but a help and I could retain employment to bump up income a tad-now removed,even though not expected to.Particular pernicious of course to the sick/disabled on various levels,more the symbolic pay back selfish cunt,further residualisation of contributions meaning anything.The underlining message is clear of course to those willing to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:29 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
Quote:
Sanctions and the worst drought for almost two decades threaten to cause severe hardship for millions of people in North Korea, while the country’s leadership continues to plough scarce resources into its missile and nuclear programmes, according to UN agencies and those with contacts in the impoverished nation.

A drought that ravaged crops earlier this summer will leave the North unable to properly feed many of its people, including soldiers in the country’s million-strong army, the groups have warned.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... lnutrition
scarier than hell, this
resources not shared are taken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:35 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
Spiralling internal calamities, nothing to lose and big weapons


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:40 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 1:40 pm
Posts: 4055
Has thanked: 9260 times
Been thanked: 10254 times
HindleA wrote:
It is what you get when you play the comparative "fairness" game,too late to be applied to me (us),a relative small amount but a help and I could retain employment to bump up income a tad-now removed,even though not expected to.Particular pernicious of course to the sick/disabled on various levels,more the symbolic pay back selfish cunt,further residualisation of contributions meaning anything.The underlining message is clear of course to those willing to see.


Yeah. If you can't afford private insurance, screw you. Over a hundred years of progress in the concept of national insurance for all is being swept away with little reference to parliament and democracy and virtually no scrutiny from the press.

The "fairness" argument was already addressed by the fact that only interest, not capital, was paid. From an affordability point of view it's a no brainer. Keep people in their homes and if their circumstances do improve, much more likely they will be able to return to independence and no longer require additional benefits. It's why Gordon Brown reduced the length of time you had to wait to claim after the financial crash, to head off repossessions and much higher costs to the state further down the road.

_________________
“Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 12:14 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... nford.html


The BBC and Patrick Minford.


Wren-Lewis


"Suppose a report of a medical trial had suggested a miracle cure for some serious disease. The report had not been peer reviewed, and its author had connections to a drug company that stood to benefit from the alleged cure, but the BBC had decided to give it considerable publicity nevertheless. Within days it became clear that there were serious problems with the report, and that there were other existing papers that came to a completely different conclusion. The BBC would then look very foolish, and many sufferers from this disease would have been given false hope. I suspect for that reason the BBC would be much more cautious. Yet if the report is about a subject matter with any political implications this caution appears to go out of the window."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 12:39 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 6437
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 14355 times
A year on, some interesting new evidence has emerged re "Traingate".

Corbyn totally exonerated? Perhaps not. Branson and his company looking distinctly shifty?? Definitely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 12:47 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
Presume this:-




Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 12:52 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 1:40 pm
Posts: 4055
Has thanked: 9260 times
Been thanked: 10254 times
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ellors-pay

Quote:
Fourth MP quits Bath University role over vice-chancellor’s pay
Darren Jones becomes latest to step down from university body in protest against Glynis Breakwell’s £451,000 package


This is an interesting story that reflects the evolving nature of our HE sector. The direct line drawn in the article between undergraduate student loans and high vice chancellor pay makes a powerful political point but possibly misses the more nuanced element about how universities are changing. Bath Uni has a lot of what you might call commercial elements - executive MBAs, research facilities for hire, sports training village - it's as much a business as an educational establishment. These sorts of changes don't happen in a vacuum. The commercialization of HE has been ongoing for some considerable time now and exorbitant CEO type pay for vice chancellors seems a natural consequence. It frustrates me that a Tory MP is complaining about what seems to be an inevitable result of Tory ideology. It would also be nice if the opposition could widen the debate about HE out from student loans a little, as it's the whole sector that needs review and reform, not just how and how much students contribute to fees.

_________________
“Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:14 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 6437
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 14355 times
In other news, it appears Laura Pidcock MP has upset the Centrist Dad tendency on Twitter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:14 pm 
Online
Home Secretary

Joined: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 9:51 am
Posts: 1789
Has thanked: 4687 times
Been thanked: 4354 times
I was listening to You & Yours earlier, there was a segment about disabled people going to university, apparently they can continue to claim HB at present but guess what, under UC they won't be able to.

_________________
One world, like it or not - John Martyn


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:18 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 6445
Has thanked: 3915 times
Been thanked: 14882 times
Willow904 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/aug/22/two-more-mps-quit-bath-university-roles-over-vice-chancellors-pay

Quote:
Fourth MP quits Bath University role over vice-chancellor’s pay
Darren Jones becomes latest to step down from university body in protest against Glynis Breakwell’s £451,000 package


This is an interesting story that reflects the evolving nature of our HE sector. The direct line drawn in the article between undergraduate student loans and high vice chancellor pay makes a powerful political point but possibly misses the more nuanced element about how universities are changing. Bath Uni has a lot of what you might call commercial elements - executive MBAs, research facilities for hire, sports training village - it's as much a business as an educational establishment. These sorts of changes don't happen in a vacuum. The commercialization of HE has been ongoing for some considerable time now and exorbitant CEO type pay for vice chancellors seems a natural consequence. It frustrates me that a Tory MP is complaining about what seems to be an inevitable result of Tory ideology. It would also be nice if the opposition could widen the debate about HE out from student loans a little, as it's the whole sector that needs review and reform, not just how and how much students contribute to fees.


Pretty much the point that Blanchflower was making with his spat with Andrew Adonis the other day. If you want them to act like commercial businesses don't be surprised when the rules of the market apply for VCs.

_________________
FTN's supplier of tedious, pedantic education policy waffle; and Pedant-in-Chief generally.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:26 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
http://webtv.un.org/live-now/watch/18th ... 5960861001


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline
Speaker of the House

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 2621
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 4847 times
Hi all

Thanks for that link to the Virgin cctv Mr A

Being a bit dull I looked back on the original thread (exactly 1 year ago to the day) and looked at the posts

As you can imagine there was a bit of a discussion with most uncommital and one person asked why a still had been released and not the whole clip - now we can see why

As I said most people where not that engaged as it was a bit tit for tat and not very clear. One person in particular though accused Corbyn of being a 'fibber' and was happy to believe the Virgin evidence without question

Said person claims to be an eminent lawyer but seems only to be good in getting things wrong

Corbyn was also insulted wuite a lot in the media too - seems that he may not have been so wrong after all

Also, interesting to read old posts now and again to see how good people are in their predictions and foresight


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 1:51 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9537
Has thanked: 1532 times
Been thanked: 12561 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
In other news, it appears Laura Pidcock MP has upset the Centrist Dad tendency on Twitter.


What a loss Pat Glass was. Pidcock is a Russia Today woman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:00 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9537
Has thanked: 1532 times
Been thanked: 12561 times
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/aug/22/two-more-mps-quit-bath-university-roles-over-vice-chancellors-pay

Quote:
Fourth MP quits Bath University role over vice-chancellor’s pay
Darren Jones becomes latest to step down from university body in protest against Glynis Breakwell’s £451,000 package


This is an interesting story that reflects the evolving nature of our HE sector. The direct line drawn in the article between undergraduate student loans and high vice chancellor pay makes a powerful political point but possibly misses the more nuanced element about how universities are changing. Bath Uni has a lot of what you might call commercial elements - executive MBAs, research facilities for hire, sports training village - it's as much a business as an educational establishment. These sorts of changes don't happen in a vacuum. The commercialization of HE has been ongoing for some considerable time now and exorbitant CEO type pay for vice chancellors seems a natural consequence. It frustrates me that a Tory MP is complaining about what seems to be an inevitable result of Tory ideology. It would also be nice if the opposition could widen the debate about HE out from student loans a little, as it's the whole sector that needs review and reform, not just how and how much students contribute to fees.


Pretty much the point that Blanchflower was making with his spat with Andrew Adonis the other day. If you want them to act like commercial businesses don't be surprised when the rules of the market apply for VCs.


Blanchflower was also saying it was reasonable that vice chancellors could earn big money, because they were in an international market, which was further than lots of people go. I'm sure when the right VC can clinch a huge endowment, you can make a good case for paying him £500k. My problem is that the conditions further down of academics seem to be getting worse.

Adonis absurdly said VCs were like school headmasters.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:02 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41027671

EU citizen detention letters sent in error


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:08 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 6437
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 14355 times
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
In other news, it appears Laura Pidcock MP has upset the Centrist Dad tendency on Twitter.


What a loss Pat Glass was. Pidcock is a Russia Today woman.


Glass was good, I agree. Not as dismissive of her successor, however.

(and also I think RT isn't always bad in small doses)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:09 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9537
Has thanked: 1532 times
Been thanked: 12561 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
A year on, some interesting new evidence has emerged re "Traingate".

Corbyn totally exonerated? Perhaps not. Branson and his company looking distinctly shifty?? Definitely.


That doesn't surprise me. Bring it on.

The big problem for me was that the state basically decides rolling stock, not the train companies. Lots of new trains are coming.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:11 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9537
Has thanked: 1532 times
Been thanked: 12561 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
In other news, it appears Laura Pidcock MP has upset the Centrist Dad tendency on Twitter.


What a loss Pat Glass was. Pidcock is a Russia Today woman.


Glass was good, I agree. Not as dismissive of her successor, however.

(and also I think RT isn't always bad in small doses)


Not all of it's bad but there's a reason they push Corbyn and allies. It's not because they want more social justice.

Though I think Corbyn's much more circumspect now on eh NATO.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:35 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
In other news, it appears Laura Pidcock MP has upset the Centrist Dad tendency on Twitter.

Quote:
Lyndon
(@LyndonBowe1)
What @LauraPidcockMP misses is that it's the Left's duty to convince the right that change is needed to have a moral society
1/2
https://twitter.com/LyndonBowe1/status/ ... 0107456517


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:38 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
Quote:
Lyndon‏ @LyndonBowe1 1m1 minute ago
Replying to @LyndonBowe1 @LauraPidcockMP

And it's the Right's duty to argue for the retention of systems that are in place sustaining a moral society. Yin & Yang. Cooperation. 2/2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:48 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
I'm unfamiliar with Labour MP Laura Pidcock and looked up the name
came upon those tweets
no idea if it's connected to AK's original post
no idea who the twitter poster is
it's garbage, those tweets


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:53 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
The right need to stay the hell in their room until they can come out and responsibly interact with the rest of the grown-ups


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:13 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
Quote:
Lyndon (@LyndonBowe1)
What @LauraPidcockMP misses is that it's the Left's duty to convince the right that change is needed to have a moral society
1/2

And it's the Right's duty to argue for the retention of systems that are in place sustaining a moral society. Yin & Yang. Cooperation. 2/2

https://twitter.com/LyndonBowe1/status/ ... 0107456517

Lyndon on twitter makes a mockery of the concept of yin & yang
The labels of left and right are useful for keeping people divided, as though it's a law of nature people separate into left or right
left or right are names Lyndon attaches to absurd slogans
People are responsible for knowing and promoting a healthy society
They don't get to hide behind left or right justifying their lack of action or rationalise engagement in corrupt practices


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:20 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
HA ha nice dig by Welsh Government representative,polite but more effective because of that,"like to point out our approach"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:23 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13076
Has thanked: 72581 times
Been thanked: 12552 times
@howsillyofme1
Thank goodness I didn't need doubt the integrity of the Labour leader


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:45 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9537
Has thanked: 1532 times
Been thanked: 12561 times
Wow. Has Theresa May turned up at Redcar Steelworks for a photo op, and not told Anna Turley?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:51 pm 
Offline
Speaker of the House

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 2621
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 4847 times
citizenJA wrote:
@howsillyofme1
Thank goodness I didn't need doubt the integrity of the Labour leader


Doubt everyone (but more some than others!)

Of course every politician manipulates the reality to get their point across at one time or another

Just be careful in making statements that are too black/white and be prepared to admit mistakes if you do

Let us see if that happens in this case


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:58 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9537
Has thanked: 1532 times
Been thanked: 12561 times
I put this up before, but it's a goody. From The Telegraph, before the election.

Quote:
27 MAY 2017 • 7:08PM
The pound is in for “a rough ride” if the Conservatives lose the general election, currency traders and analysts believe, after a number of strong polls for Labour sent the currency into a tumble late last week.

Sterling could fall by another 5pc on a Labour victory, forcing the currency down to $1.20 against the dollar. The pound has not been below this level for a prolonged period at any time since the 1980s.

Against the euro the pound could fall to as low as €1.08 to $1.09, a level not seen since the depths of the financial crisis.


It's €1.08 now.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline
Speaker of the House

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 2621
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 4847 times
Not so convinced by Blanchflowers comment...any evidence our VC are in demand arpund the world?

My recent visits to uk universities suggest they are souless places now focused on squeezing cash from anywhere they can

I suppose that is now thier main focus...not teaching


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 4:01 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
Safe to say some of the Committee don't seem all that convinced.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 4:02 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 3713
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 2239 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
In other news, it appears Laura Pidcock MP has upset the Centrist Dad tendency on Twitter.


What a loss Pat Glass was. Pidcock is a Russia Today woman.


Glass was good, I agree. Not as dismissive of her successor, however.

(and also I think RT isn't always bad in small doses)


RT is a propaganda channel.

And no, the BBC is not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 4:04 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 3713
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 2239 times
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Not all of it's bad but there's a reason they push Corbyn and allies. It's not because they want more social justice.

Though I think Corbyn's much more circumspect now on eh NATO.


He s constrained by his role, no more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2017 4:08 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 17196
Has thanked: 15323 times
Been thanked: 25912 times
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... oadcasting
Disabled people and over-50s most under-represented in broadcasting


Remember the furore and panic of parents over a children's TV presenter.Difference as demonic is a long held tradition/belief.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AnatolyKasparov, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], frog222, GetYou, gilsey, Majestic-12 [Bot], PaulfromYorkshire, PorFavor, RogerOThornhill and 44 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group