Friday 25th August 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday 25th August 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ble-people" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Benefit cap blamed for 85% cut in new homes for vulnerable people

(LHA maxima cap)

Housing schemes facing closure or postponement include homes for war veterans adjusting back to civilian life and supported living for people with learning disabilities to help them live independently. The changes could also apply to secure housing for domestic violence victims.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 25 Aug, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 25th August 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

School nurse shortage 'putting children's lives at risk'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hawking's riposte to Hunt's rather scandalous lies about what he said at the RSM.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... will-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Self-driving lorries are to appear on motorways in England next year after the government announced £8million of funding for trials.

Up to three HGVs will travel in convoy using wireless technology.

That led Nick Ferrari to ask the simple question: "If you've got a bloke or woman in the cab, why are we doing this?"
Needless to say this perfectly sensible question isn't answered. If someone has to be ready to take over at any time, they have to pay as much attention as if they were driving. So they might as well be driving. What is the point?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Hurricane Harvey: evacuations under way as storm heads for Texas

Weather system due to make landfall on Friday evening is most powerful to hit the US in 11 years

Kim Fraleigh, of Sugar Land, stocked up with five cases of water, three bags of ice and other supplies at a supermarket. “We’ve got chips, tuna, dry salami, anything that does not require refrigeration,” she said. (Guardian - my emphasis)
The miraculous properties of American ice . . .

Levity aside, I hope things don't turn out anywhere near as bad as is predicted.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -for-texas
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... will-work/
Self-driving lorries are to appear on motorways in England next year after the government announced £8million of funding for trials.

That led Nick Ferrari to ask the simple question: "If you've got a bloke or woman in the cab, why are we doing this?"
Needless to say this perfectly sensible question isn't answered. If someone has to be ready to take over at any time, they have to pay as much attention as if they were driving. So they might as well be driving. What is the point?
Nick Ferrari asking a sensible question? Makes a change.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu

Hawking's riposte to Hunt's rather scandalous lies about what he said at the RSM.
Good comments btl too.
Light over darkness. Tested rationality over ideologue. Conscience over dogma. Good over evil.

Professor Stephen Hawking can see light years away further than the nobody, blind Jeremy Hunt.
Why are we governed by such venal idiots?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu

Good comments btl too.
Light over darkness. Tested rationality over ideologue. Conscience over dogma. Good over evil.

Professor Stephen Hawking can see light years away further than the nobody, blind Jeremy Hunt.
Why are we governed by such venal idiots?
Why, indeed. Even the very worst Tories feel the need to at least appear to be doing the job when made a minister, even the supposedly lazy David Davis says stuff from time to time that gives the appearance of being in charge. All we've had from Hunt in the last year was a "gosh, why is this happening" about the NHS as if it's absolutely nothing to do with him. Since IDS' departure he's easily the very worst minister, sadly in one of the most crucial and demanding roles. The NHS won't last to 2022 without a major acute crisis (as opposed to the ongoing chronic one we're already in). Presumably Hunt's job is to studiously ignore what's going on and hide behind a tree when the media finally wakes up to what's been going on (if they ever do).
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

He's the worst minister from our point of view, but his continuance in that job is clear evidence of the govt's intentions towards the NHS. They can spout fine words, and in response we can point to *unt.
He's not incompetent, he's delivering exactly what's wanted.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:He's the worst minister from our point of view, but his continuance in that job is clear evidence of the govt's intentions towards the NHS. They can spout fine words, and in response we can point to *unt.
He's not incompetent, he's delivering exactly what's wanted.
I think he is incompetent - but you're right in saying that he's delivering exactly what's wanted.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... will-work/

Some tube lines work like that. I assume the remote driving helps to space the trains out efficiently. But agree, can't see why that's relevant to a standalone lorry, or how you'll ever get to a situation where it is.

I'm quite surprised they can do this at all. I think with tube trains, it's much harder if the line goes above ground.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There is also an element of nobody else wanting to pick up the poisoned chalice from him, I suspect.

Seriously, what are Hunt's approval ratings? They must be subterranean even by present Tory standards..........
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The third way after Corbynism
https://averypublicsociologist.blogspot ... ynism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd quote the conclusion but it would be a shame for you not to read the whole thing.

It's a response to this http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2017/0 ... -of-ideas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which I haven't read.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is also an element of nobody else wanting to pick up the poisoned chalice from him, I suspect.

Seriously, what are Hunt's approval ratings? They must be subterranean even by present Tory standards..........
I was amazed May kept Hunt on. Though maybe nobody else wanted the job. Greg Clark would be my choice.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:The third way after Corbynism
https://averypublicsociologist.blogspot ... ynism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd quote the conclusion but it would be a shame for you not to read the whole thing.

It's a response to this http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2017/0 ... -of-ideas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which I haven't read.
Phil BC is very good, you don't have to share all his analysis or conclusions to think that.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:The third way after Corbynism

Phil BC is very good, you don't have to share all his analysis or conclusions to think that.

I think both the Progress piece and that reply are completely vacuous. Both are badly written.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Then again, your idea of "good writing" is not everybody's - Phil BC makes often obscure seeming sociological concepts accessible.

Just yesterday, someone mentioned David Runciman's cautiously admiring profile of Theresa May (in the LRB?) pre-election.

It may have been "well written", as much of his stuff is. But how well does the actual substance stand up in hindsight?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Then again, your idea of "good writing" is not everybody's - Phil BC makes often obscure seeming sociological concepts accessible.

Just yesterday, someone mentioned David Runciman's cautiously admiring profile of Theresa May (in the LRB?) pre-election.

It may have been "well written", as much of his stuff is. But how well does the actual substance stand up in hindsight?

You mean this one,

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n06/david-run ... r-homework" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with the penultimate line

"Europe may yet destroy May as prime minister, as it destroyed her three Conservative predecessors."

Seems pretty accurate to me on that point.

Phil BC never, ever, mentions the EU. It is all vacuous pseudo-babble.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Phil BC writes about Brexit and the EU quite often, he just doesn't share your conclusions.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Phil BC writes about Brexit and the EU quite often, he just doesn't share your conclusions.
Bonkers game playing stuff like this

http://averypublicsociologist.blogspot. ... n.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really bad, Blairites under the bed stuff.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I looked at the Progress thing because I'm probably supposed to like it. It's not very good.

Jeremy Cliffe of The Economist is probably too much to the right to be in Labour, but he's managed to knock up a list of policies you could call "radical centre". Progress could do worse than take up some of that.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41048608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Police probe claims Tories' used call centre to canvass vote
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I looked at the Progress thing because I'm probably supposed to like it. It's not very good.

Jeremy Cliffe of The Economist is probably too much to the right to be in Labour, but he's managed to knock up a list of policies you could call "radical centre". Progress could do worse than take up some of that.

There are lots of areas where a centrist third way solution is the best way forward.

The most obvious is housing. The Tory option is leave it to the market. The Labour option build more council housing (which is distributively badly unfair).

The sensible option is to combine (1) huge infrastructure spending to create the structure for housing (transport, water etc) with (2) deregulation on where and how tall you can build.

The 'left' solution is to try and fix the market in one way or another, all of which are basically rent/price controls in watered down form which we know don't actually work. The centrist position is not to try to buck the market, but to use state spending to increase the supply, and bring down the price.

Other areas are transport. Labour, as it is now led, doesn't often see a problem where the answer isn't re-nationalisation based on the spurious reasoning that the private companies (or *shock* foreign governments) that own X are taking money out of the system which should be re-invested. If you look at, say, rail or anything else, this is just silliness. The third way solution, essentially what Prescott did with rail, is probably the best solution available.

In some areas the "left" solution is actually regressive. The most obvious is University fees (which we've discussed at length).

On the economy, the centrist position is essentially that of Ed Balls: you have to use fiscal levers to get the economy off the zero level bound, but that can't alone justify permanently higher levels of spending. The UK has only ever taxed around 40% of GDP and banking on our ever being able to tax much more than that is over optimistic (though we can try). The Evil Blair years were years of growth, with that growth spread using the tax and benefit system, preventing the increase in inequality (which has hardly moved since 1990). Helping the poorest is still best done using the tax and benefit system.

Lots of other sensible centrist policies, like an LVT. Phase it in, and stamp duty out.

The biggest example of a centrist policy is, of course, being pro-EU. As I explained here

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2016 ... ean-union/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Corbyn, Milne, McDonnell and the rest of the Campaign Group are anti-EU, and always will be.

So, if centrism really is dead, as seems likely, that is bad news for the UK. Third way centrism, as I see it, is trying to do what works. It is evidence based, technocratic, and a bit boring.

It was probably killed by Iraq (which I marched against). But in foreign policy Labour's current leader is not only anti-NATO, but against any action anywhere ever, especially if in co-operation with the US. A terrible position.

The Tories and Labour are now controlled by people who oppose dull technocratic centrism. Grim days.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I am beginning to think that what may be required is a move to PR.

The advantage of the current system is that the alliances within parties have to be formed in advance, so you end up voting for one block of alliances or another, knowing what you're getting in advance.

The disadvantage is that Labour and Tory are now captured by their respective "cores", which paradoxically has meant that on the most important issue of the day, Brexit, they both take the identical position (or more accurately, Labour adopts the most Brexit-y position it can whilst still being fractionally more Remain-y than the Tories.)

When I was younger I thought the current system better as it enabled changed. I now think that a system that essentially emasculates the populists of both sides, and gives the power to the centre, may be better.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The ability to be closed minded,misrepresent,dismiss as irrelevant/non engage,ignore contra evidence doesn't care about labels or even non.We are all quite capable of it,to be fair.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 25 Aug, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I am philosophically in favour of PR but there are a number of variations and I am not sure the UK electorate is prepared to accept the consequences of what a Government elected under PR will look and behave like

I am personally horrified by the prospects of a Government made up of the remnants of the Blairites and Cameroons supported by the orange bookers

And what is this 'being pro-EU is centrist' shit

I am not a centrist but I support the idea of the EU and membership of it but I have severe reservations about the EU as it exists now

I know Varoufakis is not to everyones liking but I suggest reading 'Adults in the Room' to see some of the problems -especially in the Eurozone....look beyong the rights and wrongs of the Greek debt crisis and look how power is exercised and by whom at these meetings
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

HindleA wrote:The ability to be closed minded,misrepresent,dismiss as irrelevant/non engage,ignore contra evidence doesn't care about labels or even non.We are quite capable of it,to be fair.

Is this a google translation?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

No more so than many of AH's posts ;)

As with a once prominent (and still active) Labour politician, it doesn't really matter what he says - you usually know what he means.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for confirming,Your obvious efforts are of no use.You are,unfortunately. not my type.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 25 Aug, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I inserted the old babel fish and understood completely.....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hindlespeak-lessons are available on request.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Once I work it out myself
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Other areas are transport. Labour, as it is now led, doesn't often see a problem where the answer isn't re-nationalisation based on the spurious reasoning that the private companies (or *shock* foreign governments) that own X are taking money out of the system which should be re-invested. If you look at, say, rail or anything else, this is just silliness. The third way solution, essentially what Prescott did with rail, is probably the best solution available.
Yeah, the "taking this money out" argument assumes that revenues would be as high under the government. It's unlikely the government would have had the relatively free hand the train companies do to increase "business" fares. I'm not ruling nationalization out, and a case can be made to reduce the number of "interfaces", for sure. Rolling stock could reasonably be brought in house, though there's a cost in buying out the Roscos. I'm just worried about the expectations of nationalization, and that it would just lead to less investment.

Independently of nationalization or not, I'd like to see Labour being much more specific about what projects it would do.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

On rail the figures I posted yesterday showed the absolutely pathetic amount of investment in rail by the Government (1/3 of the average of the figures available and it is possible even this is over-estimated) and if the high fares (not just 'business' fares, any non-advance fares are a sign of success of the the current situation)

I don't mind companies making a profit if they deliver a good service at a reasonable price - neither is the case from my experience and a number of franchises are monopolies on their routes

If you live in the North of England, or travel their frequently, then the rail service is generally bad - with even lower levels investment than the UK figures would suggest due to the bias to the south
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

John Prescott seeking legal advice.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://law.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/identif ... nfell-fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Identifying and filling the legal gaps exposed by the Grenfell fire

We are seeking evidence from renters and owner-occupiers, lawyers, other professionals involved in looking at the conditions of accommodation, and landlords (social and private).  Findings from this research will be used to produce a report for Shelter and other academic work.  This report and other work will not identify you, your household, or your business/place of work.

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2017/08/resea ... fell-fire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 25 Aug, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Decision
St Benedict's Infant School

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ant-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

No argument at all on the investment point. Just not enough.

The investment bias to the South happens for, at one level, sensible reasons. There are so many regular rail users there, if you do something like make a line speed much quicker, then it'll be quicker for lots of people. If you look at improving line speed on quieter lines (as many of them in the North are) you'll be benefiting a smaller number of people. So there's a cost-benefit logic there.

But the calculations need to be more flexible, otherwise it's a vicious circle of decline.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

One thing positive for the North is that lots of people these days want to live in what used to be called "inner cities", and like the idea of zipping around on public transport. With the Metro Mayors, I'm reasonably hopeful for transport in cities, and into cities.

It's harder to be optimistic about travel between small towns though.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Merseyrail is fairly well regarded, I think, and London Overground certainly is. Both are privately run, but the local transport authorities set the terms. I think this is better than having the terms set nationally. That's a way forward. Labour pioneered it in London, but were too slow to do it in other cities.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I am beginning to think that what may be required is a move to PR.
Yeah, I think that's very important. If Progress don't have any ideas, they need to be taking this up very, very strongly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:On rail the figures I posted yesterday showed the absolutely pathetic amount of investment in rail by the Government (1/3 of the average of the figures available and it is possible even this is over-estimated) and if the high fares (not just 'business' fares, any non-advance fares are a sign of success of the the current situation)

I don't mind companies making a profit if they deliver a good service at a reasonable price - neither is the case from my experience and a number of franchises are monopolies on their routes

If you live in the North of England, or travel their frequently, then the rail service is generally bad - with even lower levels investment than the UK figures would suggest due to the bias to the south
This is my thinking too. I ask, does it work? Is the service provision effective, giving those served and those providing the service what they need/want? Is the system functioning well and needs/wants getting met sustainably?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:On rail the figures I posted yesterday showed the absolutely pathetic amount of investment in rail by the Government (1/3 of the average of the figures available and it is possible even this is over-estimated) and if the high fares (not just 'business' fares, any non-advance fares are a sign of success of the the current situation)

This is my thinking too. I ask, does it work? Is the service provision effective, giving those served and those providing the service what they need/want? Is the system functioning well and needs/wants getting met sustainably?
The government (the Department for Transport) decides what services should be run, and then train companies bid for it. The Northern Rail franchise is loss making, so from the government's point of view, what it's looking for is to pay as low as possible a subsidy. I don't know if Northern Rail is better run or worse run than the more "glamorous" franchises like the West Coast Mainline, where the operator pays a premium to the government to run the service.

These are the lines that are part of Northern Rail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... ail_routes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of those lines look like they could be devolved to the City Regions, like I've said. But I suppose that might not be great for other places in the franchise that don't get devolved. You could easily be left with routes in declining areas, but without a high profile champion like Burnham.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though various battles,some successful over crossrail I believe just to be able to fully use and continuing for the fundamental rights of travel for significant numbers in London as elsewhere.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://speyejoe2.wordpress.com/2017/08 ... -feck-off/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fit for work? Oh do feck off!!

Multiple levels of dimwittery, of course.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Though various battles,some successful over crossrail I believe just to be able to fully use and continuing for the fundamental rights of travel for significant numbers in London as elsewhere.
Agreed.
The UK is a beautiful country. I love hiking, I learned to love it here.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Fourty years of cryptic crossword addiction may have consequences.

(that wasn't a clue)

Or maybe it was,looking for an anagram.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister