Friday,1st September 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday,1st September 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/09/3- ... nt-rights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3 employment rights that aren’t working for young mums and dads. And 2 rights that they should have.

(Into the mix add sanction regime extension and in work conditionality)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday,1st September 2017

Post by HindleA »

Hardly comment on the Guardian,just getting into.combat and they close the bloody thing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Things were far worse for people that wouldn't have possibly been born or survived at all,there is no comparison compared to now"Well,indeed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The UN should keep their noses out,it is not as if it is a periodic review that all signatory Countries undergo,or anything"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-bre ... d-11015205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mrs May has not made that clear with the public and now she is trapped. She must meet impossible promises not of her making but of her parroting. What she should do now is to change tack before it's too late and make clear that many of the promises made in the referendum are not possible in the short term.
But she can say that they might be in the future. The best chance the UK has is to agree to stay in the customs union and the single market for a lengthy transition, potentially for the next five to 10 years. In that time the UK would be able to work on a long term trade agreement and achieve the vision the Prime Minister set out in her Lancaster House speech.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Liam Byrne note.That is a stunning departure from convicted r'us.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People sleeping on UK streets show us how easily progress is undone
Dawn Foster
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinybgoat wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-bre ... d-11015205
Mrs May has not made that clear with the public and now she is trapped. She must meet impossible promises not of her making but of her parroting. What she should do now is to change tack before it's too late and make clear that many of the promises made in the referendum are not possible in the short term.
But she can say that they might be in the future. The best chance the UK has is to agree to stay in the customs union and the single market for a lengthy transition, potentially for the next five to 10 years. In that time the UK would be able to work on a long term trade agreement and achieve the vision the Prime Minister set out in her Lancaster House speech.
If you look at the way Davis is behaving in 'negotiations' and at what disgraced former minister Liam Fox has been saying overnight...
The international trade secretary, Liam Fox, has ratcheted up the government’s war of words with the EU over Brexit by saying Britain will not be “blackmailed” into paying an excessive exit settlement to speed up a deal.
... it seems increasingly likely that whatever the official line is, the actual policy the government are pursuing is to crash out without a deal, but ideally to not have to walk away, or let things dribble out to the end, but to be so obstructive and objectionable that eventually the EU negotiators will advise the member nations that it isn't worth talking to us. Barnier has played an admirably straight bat so far and it seems unlikely to me that they'll give up on making a deal in the way that we clearly have, but I can't see what the point is of us sticking out fingers in our ears and shouting 'we are not listening to you' whilst repeating the same rejected lines over and over again other than to make this fail. European diplomats can still talk diplomatically - Barnier says that perhaps the UK hasn't yet had a proper discussion about what it actually voted for - but they can also abandon diplomacy and tell us that out government's views are delusional and are magical thinking.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

adam wrote:
If you look at the way Davis is behaving in 'negotiations' and at what disgraced former minister Liam Fox has been saying overnight...
The international trade secretary, Liam Fox, has ratcheted up the government’s war of words with the EU over Brexit by saying Britain will not be “blackmailed” into paying an excessive exit settlement to speed up a deal.
... it seems increasingly likely that whatever the official line is, the actual policy the government are pursuing is to crash out without a deal, but ideally to not have to walk away, or let things dribble out to the end, but to be so obstructive and objectionable that eventually the EU negotiators will advise the member nations that it isn't worth talking to us. Barnier has played an admirably straight bat so far and it seems unlikely to me that they'll give up on making a deal in the way that we clearly have, but I can't see what the point is of us sticking out fingers in our ears and shouting 'we are not listening to you' whilst repeating the same rejected lines over and over again other than to make this fail. European diplomats can still talk diplomatically - Barnier says that perhaps the UK hasn't yet had a proper discussion about what it actually voted for - but they can also abandon diplomacy and tell us that out government's views are delusional and are magical thinking.
Yes very worrying.

It may be simpler than that though Adam.

They haven't got a sodding clue what they are doing, have no ideas how to get out of the mess and are simply falling back on racheting up the jingoism as Dave did before them. Plucky Liam and David standing up to Brussels.

Whatever, I agree they are clearly not going to get a deal. So what happens next?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

It's all the EU's fault.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"So what happens next?"

A fag and a cup of tea?

But that's my solution to everything.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Lots to do after yesterday's kerfuffle.

I've seen tweets which seem to suggest that the EU should automatically do a deal with us which benefits the UK. Why would they do that?

If you're in trade negotiations you do a deal which benefits you - that's kinda the whole point of doing it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41121692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nine G4S staff at immigration removal suspended
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I like this bit.
A lengthy transition would allow Brussels to say that Britain had paid a price. That in order to keep the economic advantages of the EU she had to stay in its institutions whilst being in the cold outside for some time. She would have no say in its rules and she wouldn't be able to negotiate new trade deals. She would also have to continue to pay substantial sums and be part of the ECJ. The UK would be in the "political purgatory" Theresa May would say she wanted to avoid. An EU waiting room for misbehaving children.
There was talk a year ago that the only tory plan for Brexit was to walk out of the talks about now.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Oliver Milne‏Verified account @OliverMilne 19h19 hours ago

Source close to Richard Leonard confirms he is standing in upcoming Scottish Labour Leadership race.

Oliver Milne‏Verified account @OliverMilne 19h19 hours ago

Anas Sarwar has spent last 24hrs pulling together team and endorsements. Also hit the ground running and printed a first round of leaflets.

Oliver Milne‏Verified account @OliverMilne

Both had informal conversations with the big three unions yesterday. So yeah it's a going to be a Sarwar v Leonard race.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Another one bailing out...

May’s deputy political director quits Number 10 to join Portland

https://www.ft.com/content/833ce140-8e6 ... 6f43c5825d

The mass evacuation from Downing Street of Theresa May’s aides has continued with the departure of Nick Hargrave, deputy political director, to join communications group Portland.

Mr Hargrave has little or no public profile but had until now played a key role in Number 10 as one of the prime minister’s special advisers. Before that, his jobs included speech writer to David Cameron and political adviser at the Conservative Research Department.

His is the latest in a rash of departures from Mrs May’s administration, after its humiliating setback in the general election.

The news is likely to be announced next week as Portland hires three former Downing Street staff, including Will Tanner, former deputy head of the Number 10 policy unit under Mrs May and previously her adviser at the Home Office.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/act ... 22836.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Activate – a youth group that young people can finally get gassed about
(Mark Steel)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Activate is so yesterday - "Our Conviction" is apparently the new "Tory Momentum".

There are also some (highly believable) spoof accounts going around :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Quote from Liam Fox -
“And I had representations from businesses from across Europe – from Germany, from Spain – to say: ‘Can we put more pressure on the commission to try and get us a better idea of what that final picture will look like because we need to maintain an open and liberal trading environment in Europe?’”(Guardian)
I was obviously wrong in thinking that Spain and Germany were in the EU and, as members, had their own channels to the Commission. Once again, I must bow to Liam Fox's superior knowledge.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-deal
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RIP the Yellow Pages.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:RIP the Yellow Pages.
Joan Rhodes?
Long before Uri Geller she could bend heavy steel bars that no man in her audiences would ever dare attempt to try and buckle! She could break six-inch nails with her bare hands and could tear a 1,000 page London telephone directory in half with ease!
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__7996.aspx
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:RIP the Yellow Pages.
Yet another thing to blame the internet for then.

So that's the YP and the lack of an Our Price in my town. or HMV for that matter. I'm sure there's more...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh, by the way -

Liam Fox (again - sorry) whose grasp of English vocabulary is sadly lacking -
blackmail
ˈblakmeɪl/
noun
noun: blackmail

the action, treated as a criminal offence, of demanding money from someone in return for not revealing compromising information which one has about them.
Stupid man.

Edited to add - unless he was thinking about himself (it wouldn't be the first, or the last, time)
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 01 Sep, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 13h13 hours ago
More
Replying to @britainelects
North Worle result:

LAB: 36.4% (+21.7)
CON: 32.4% (+3.7)
LDEM: 16.4% (+4.1)
IND: 8.2% (+8.2)
UKIP: 6.7% (-14.6)

No NSF (-23.1) as prev.

:twisted:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Activate is so yesterday - "Our Conviction" is apparently the new "Tory Momentum".

There are also some (highly believable) spoof accounts going around :)
I thought the name, Dementum, an apt name for a Tory youth political club
saw it posted elsewhere on yesterday's political blog
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I'm beginning to wonder if SpinningHugo is in fact Kezia Dugdale?

He seems to have disappeared since commenting on her resignation ;-)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Davis is about to speak to the US Chamber of Commerce (Sky TV News).

Dare I watch?

Edited - typo
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if SpinningHugo is in fact Kezia Dugdale?

And they both have ug in the middle of their names ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:David Davis is about to speak to the US Chamber of Commerce (Sky TV News).

Dare I watch?

Edited - typo
Likely to be utterly excruciating I agree!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Home Office makes 800% profit on some visa applications
Size of margins raises concerns department has incentive to reject applicants on technicalities, forcing them to reapply

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... plications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read it hoping the title was sensationalised, it's not, in my opinion. The department has had huge budget cuts already and told to make further reductions in expenditure, it's an impossible request. Please do read the article if you've the time and inclination. I'd like to know your thoughts on it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Danny Shaw

More on Brook House: 2 managers, 6 officers & a nurse suspended plus 5 others on restricted duties...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Captain Pugwash seeking legal advice.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Simon Jenkins doesn't understand the definition of blackmail either
Do read it to the end, if deciding to read it at all
It's mercifully short

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... gotiations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if SpinningHugo is in fact Kezia Dugdale?

Tom Watson's clever plan to get her a place on the NEC could yet end up looking a bit silly. Who would ever have thought??
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I remember when a rumour went around that Mona BTL on the Daily Politics back in the day was actually Nadine Dorries.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Afternoon all.

Just back from the hospital where I managed to get to see my wife for the first time since Monday. She's still in the high dependency unit but has a nurse in the room pretty much all the time - real 1-to-1 care. happy to report that all's going well and they hope to move her back to a normal ward in a couple of days or so. Phew!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thankyou.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

citizenJA wrote:Simon Jenkins doesn't understand the definition of blackmail either
It's mercifully short

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... gotiations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We'll add that to the list of many, many things that Jenkins doesn't understand.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:I remember when a rumour went around that Mona BTL on the Daily Politics back in the day was actually Nadine Dorries.
It wasn't her, but I do wonder if it was someone fairly well connected. Of course, they reappeared BTL several times with different "identities".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

refitman wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Simon Jenkins doesn't understand the definition of blackmail either
It's mercifully short

We'll add that to the list of many, many things that Jenkins doesn't understand.
Like trains.

He was calling out Crossrail as a waste of money a few years ago.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
adam wrote:I remember when a rumour went around that Mona BTL on the Daily Politics back in the day was actually Nadine Dorries.
It wasn't her, but I do wonder if it was someone fairly well connected. Of course, they reappeared BTL several times with different "identities".
You could always tell though - same as Hugo. I remember when Burgau was banned and kept coming back - he was easy to spot too.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Macaroni,my knowledge of penguins is lacking.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is what Brexit is all about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41119355
Sales of vacuum cleaners producing more noise and heat than suction are restricted under EU rules from today.
Vacuum cleaners using more than 900 watts and emitting more than 80 decibels will be banned when stocks run out.
"Without EU energy efficiency rules, the UK market risks getting flooded with inefficient and cheap imports from China which waste more energy and break easily due to lower standards."
Energy efficiency, boost for European manufacturing, everyone's a winner, eh?
UKIP's Roger Helmer said: "By all means let's make pathetic under-powered vacuum cleaners for export to the EU.
"But we must retain the right to make and use sensible full-powered appliances in the UK. This shows why we must not agree to be bound by EU rules after Brexit."
Yeah, that'll work.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Britain, freeing itself to buy inefficient Chinese vacuum cleaners.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It'll be okay though, Tubby Isaacs
we'll not be able to afford the energy bill
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good news, RogerOThornhill
Give my love to your family
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Helmer famous for his appearances in Shake N Vac commercials,of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://afailedjournalist.wordpress.com ... raws-away/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please don’t take our straws away