Wednesday 6th September 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 6th September 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 6th September 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Love him or loathe him, Rafael Behr has, in my view, written the clearest article so far on the EU withdrawal bill -
The EU withdrawal bill is nothing less than an executive coup (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oup-brexit

(Apologies if we've already had it.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

As mentioned (last night) by HindleA -
Theresa May 'to ditch plans to cut number of MPs'

Proposals to trim seats in Commons to 600 will be dropped as Conservatives fear they will not get vote through parliament, Times reports

If abandoned, the plans will be the latest Tory manifesto pledge scrapped in the wake of the snap election in June. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 650-to-600

Edited to add attribution
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I didn't think the boundary changes would happen so I;m not surprised. And I didn't think it made any sense - especially given Brexit and that returning power to Westminster - it would have meant far more power for the executive since it would reduce the number of backbenchers.

I'm off to the library and then out tonight visiting so won't be around much.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Love him or loathe him, Rafael Behr has, in my view, written the clearest article so far on the EU withdrawal bill -
The EU withdrawal bill is nothing less than an executive coup (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oup-brexit

(Apologies if we've already had it.)
Yes very good.

And helpful. Behr asks us to put aside our views on Brexit / Leave / Remain whatever and object to this bill full stop.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... d-guidance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bus Services Bill: draft regulations and guidance

The Department for Transport ran a consultation on the key regulations and guidance associated with the Bus Services Act from 8 February 2017 to 21 March 2017. This document sets out the government’s response and proposed changes to draft regulations and guidance.

(Always get nervous when my name is emboldened;there is probably a word for fear of seeing name in bold)
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 06 Sep, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Strange things happen in Huddersfield

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/first-da ... k-13578851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'First date woman gets stuck in window after throwing poo out of it'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Gardypoo
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lenny literally on the first step of stairs.I am not sure he has quite got the 12 steps philosophy,but at least showing willing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

He is asking me to pay him to go further,as his sponsor,sigh.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... n-13578887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hillsborough accused make first Crown Court appearance - updates
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Jacob Rees-Mogg's GMB interview (Politics Live, Guardian)
Spent more time than I should have done wondering what Jacob Rees-Mogg could possibly have to say to a trades union.

Edited - typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 06 Sep, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/econ ... ity-growth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The UK’s biggest economic challenge isn’t Brexit—it’s low productivity growth
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back-pay bill 'could bankrupt learning disabilities sector'

# employer receivers of direct payments/personal budgets.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Personal assistant said she slept better here than at home;perhaps not as clear/simple as people think.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

I didn't think the boundary changes would happen so I;m not surprised. And I didn't think it made any sense - especially given Brexit and that returning power to Westminster - it would have meant far more power for the executive since it would reduce the number of backbenchers.

I'm off to the library and then out tonight visiting so won't be around much.
The reduction to 600 MPs was very much a Cameron thing lifted from Policy Exchange - together with his cynical little soundbite about "cutting the cost of politics".

(in actual fact, any cash savings would be negligible)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lord-hu ... mg00000004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Government Have Committed A Blatant Dereliction Of Duty On NHS Waiting Times

http://calendar.parliament.uk/calendar/ ... /9/6/Daily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Motion to Regret H of L.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/09/sc ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Science after Brexit needs action, not just aspiration
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Personal assistant said she slept better here than at home;perhaps not as clear/simple as people think.
I understand you, I think. Some thoughts come to mind, I can't presume to know but here are some of my thoughts. Personal assistant's (Care giver where I come from) home environment might not have been a restful place, she might have been 'on call' at home and not 'on call' when she was over-night with your family and/or your family slept through the night without too many interruptions or the interruptions were mild experiences. I can well believe it was more restful assisting your family overnight.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mrs. Gamp didn't have it too bad, you know? She wasn't a great personal assistant though, I can't recommend her.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.london.gov.uk/talk-london/h ... gn=housing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

London housing strategy consultation.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's always Mrs. Harris for backup
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Where'd everyone go?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'll cut the Dickensian chatter
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
Jacob Rees-Mogg's GMB interview (Politics Live, Guardian)
Spent more time than I should have done wondering what Jacob Rees-Mogg could possibly have to say to a trades union
"Do as you are told, you oiks"??
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cja,just another perspective and dependent on purpose,it was for respite(from me) (In control/agency/I can manage subject to planning etc rather than being "cared for" psychological benefits are immeasureable )There was a "sleep in amount" which was not on a par with hourly rate.In our case,if having to amend to comply,the PA wouldn't have got more in total just in a different way.A counter to the exploitative employer generalities probably and context.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RIP Holger Czukay.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:@cja,just another perspective and dependent on purpose,it was for respite and I wouldn't have gone if in any doubt.There was a "sleep in amount" which was not on a par with hourly rate.In our case,if having to amend to comply,the PA wouldn't have got more in total just in a different way.A counter to the exploitative employer generalities probably and context.
I know and trust you.

I'm decidedly touchy about the remuneration and working conditions of private assistants/care workers/care-givers. It's a skilled profession though I've never met anyone with a degree in care work. We watched, gathered information, listened with all our ears, tactful, friendly, trusty. Care work is a calling. I wasn't a medic or healthcare worker. Care work isn't exactly healthcare. It's enough to know when medical attention is required. We took the place of family unable to do the work. I always appreciated a family member telling me plain - "cJA, please help. I've got a family, work and Mum and I never got along during my childhood." Of course, that's my job. Here are my boundaries, what I can and can't do. I always got on well with family members.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

May was generally quite evasive. She does have something to say on corporate governance, but it was not convincing, and she could not really answer Corbyn’s point about having to drop manifesto commitments. (The honest answer - “I didn’t get a majority” - would not really cut it at PMQs.)

- Andrew Sparrow
PMQs - Snap verdict
(cJA emphasis)

It should be, it's what happened.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Have to admit that despite having no illusions about what JRM is like, I still find his being opposed to abortion EVEN IN THE CASE OF RAPE pretty shocking.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Have to admit that despite having no illusions about what JRM is like, I still find his being opposed to abortion EVEN IN THE CASE OF RAPE pretty shocking.
The foetus is not at fault, that's how Rees-Mogg justifies his stance
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Toughen laws on dangerous cycling
It'll be against the law to not own a motor vehicle
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cja

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/matchbox-rolls-royce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Have to admit that despite having no illusions about what JRM is like, I still find his being opposed to abortion EVEN IN THE CASE OF RAPE pretty shocking.
Yes, but nor is the woman "to blame" for being raped. Even many theologians (including RC ones) make exceptions for abortion being "wrong" here.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Yes, but nor is the woman "to blame" for being raped. Even many theologians (including RC ones) make exceptions for abortion being "wrong" here.
I absolutely agree with you. I don't think Rees-Mogg demonstrates he cares about the lives of most people. I base that on his Tory party affiliation and his historical voting record as a Member of Parliament. His stance is that of a fundamentalist, someone who's taken an idea to an extreme. He idolises, 'Life'. He doesn't care much for most people beyond that thought.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The woman is a vehicle for 'Life' - that's Rees-Mogg's thinking
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm not a Catholic, not a Christian, not a Muslim
I've known a lot of fundamentalist Christians in my lifetime
Apologies if I've misrepresented Rees-Mogg's philosophy, it's only my opinion, I'm guessing at his justification
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm frightened
The future of the UK isn't looking so good
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

This Brexit leak shines a light on our collective lunacy about immigration
- Jonathan Freedland

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ts-britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leaked immigration plans 'catastrophic' for industry, say employers

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -eu-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:I'm frightened
The future of the UK isn't looking so good
Talking of frightened, imagine being in the path of Hurricane Irma with no safe shelter. 185 mph winds! Virtually nothing can stand up to that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Will Tory government share resources with all the people if non-UK nationals are gone? No, I don't think so.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This is quite good

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 32431.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'PMQs: Here's a sentence I never thought I'd write. The Tories are frightened of Jeremy Corbyn'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Dominic Grieve, the Conservative former attorney general, has used an article in the Evening Standard to declare that no proper “sovereign parliament” should pass the EU (withdrawal) bill in its current form. He said:

The government has correctly recognised that this EU law cannot all be changed into domestic law at once. This is why the bill seeks to incorporate this law into our own statute book to ensure continuity, except where there is an immediate intention to bring in something different, such as in respect of immigration.

Unfortunately, the withdrawal bill is not, at present, up to addressing these issues. Even more worryingly, it seeks to confer powers on the government to carry out Brexit in breach of our constitutional principles, in a manner that no sovereign parliament should allow.
(Politics Live, Guardian)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
Dominic Grieve, the Conservative former attorney general, has used an article in the Evening Standard to declare that no proper “sovereign parliament” should pass the EU (withdrawal) bill in its current form. He said:

The government has correctly recognised that this EU law cannot all be changed into domestic law at once. This is why the bill seeks to incorporate this law into our own statute book to ensure continuity, except where there is an immediate intention to bring in something different, such as in respect of immigration.

Unfortunately, the withdrawal bill is not, at present, up to addressing these issues. Even more worryingly, it seeks to confer powers on the government to carry out Brexit in breach of our constitutional principles, in a manner that no sovereign parliament should allow.
(Politics Live, Guardian)
Ouch!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This is quite good

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 32431.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'PMQs: Here's a sentence I never thought I'd write. The Tories are frightened of Jeremy Corbyn'
Even more astonishing given the author. Some of his pre-election stuff was jaw dropping even by the general standards of that time.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Have a good evening, everyone
love,
cJA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Can Sarah Champion please tell me what charges officers at Rotherham Council should have faced?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... recipients" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regional academy growth fund award recipients